Thursday 21 July 2016

Richter Pass Thompson Plateau Blues: Thursday, July 21st!

I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after. -Ernest Hemingway, author, journalist, Nobel laureate (21 Jul 1899-1961)




Up at just after 8:00 am to the Shriek Alarm Clock, aka Jaxon, Sutherland's almost one-year old grandson! Made my way to the kitchen to find a fresh pot of Flamin's java already brewing. While I enjoyed a mug of the tasty industrial strength eye-opener I prepared the beet greens for the morning's breakfast. Sarge was at the gym and when he returned he took over and made everyone fabulous, individual omelettes, ingredientes as specified: salmon, bacon or my "collard greens" concoction! Perfect fuel for the coming ride. I planned to return to Penticton, via Keremeos so the Richter Pass would be the first significant climb of the ride. I did it last year so I had a pretty good idea of what I'd be facing. Needed to leave as soon as I'd packed up what few possessions I had as the day is heating up and I don't want steam coming out of my ears before I reach the Similkameen Valley!

It was close to 11:15 am by the time I was ready to go. Had thanked Flamin' earlier as she and Lady Dar were off to town to "shop" so once I'd snapped a few shots of Sarge with Megan/Grace, (one month old), and Nicolina/Jaxon, (a couple of weeks short of one year), and thanked everyone for lovely, lovely visit, I was off. Made my way to Osoyoos and dipsy-doodled through town to come out, on 97, at 92nd Ave, just a block or so past the turn-off to the Crowsnest Highway which would take me to Keremeos. Bit of a fairly easy climb, out of Osoyoos, up to the flats before Richter starts in earnest and I was happy to find that the wind was more of a cross wind than anything else as I knew I'd have enough work to do simply climbing!

When I reached the bottom of the pass a highway sign there indicates that the road is divided for next 6 km so I knew that was the distance I had to climb. Slightly less than half of what I'd done yesterday, on Anarchist, and this climb isn't nearly as steep. As well, one ascends in a series of plateaus so this gives one's legs a bit of a rest when one is riding on the flat, even if for a relatively short time, not to mention a few small down-hill swooshes where one can stand up. First section of climb is the longest, most unrelieved, and I was certainly pleased to reach the top. As soon as I'd crested this particular hill, I sniffed something, rather malodorous, to say the least. As soon as I had time to wonder what it might be I noticed a large, dead buck off the right shoulder, up the embankment, folded in half. Must have been a fairly recent kill as the body was just starting to bloat and the carcass was covered in clouds of flies! 

Poor thing reminded me of just how careful I needed to be with the heavy trucks, semis and huge motor homes that were often whizzing by. Most drivers move into left lane when passing but many don't, even when they could do so. At any rate, by this time I had done roughly 2 km of the climb and, knowing that the worst was over, felt pretty good. Another good climb past the viewpoint. Must stop there next time we drive this way as the vistas are spectacular as one takes in the patchwork quilts of the vineyards and Osoyoos Lake, shimmering in the sun. Then a nice run down into a shallow valley where, last year, I had seen the results of the wildfires that raged here in August. Could still see that many of the pines, though still standing, looked brown, a sure sign that they had been damaged beyond self-repair.  Grass, as one might expect, was back so the hillsides looked lovely in spite of he earlier ravages.

Last reasonable climb and then I was past the large sign announcing the Similkameen Valley, (Took about and hour an fifteen minutes to cover 15 km with an AVG of 9 kph.), zooming downhill, shouting gleefully as I stood up on my pedals. Great, great descent and I was reminded that crossing the Richter from the west probably isn't an easier approach. Once at the bottom of the pass, one still has plenty of work ahead as the highway is a long, long roller-coaster of ups and downs. Obviously enjoyed the down-hill more than the climbs here but the closer one gets to Cawston, the hills start to flatten out so the going gradually becomes easier. 

With just about 40 km on the clock I was heartened to see the sign for Barcello  Road and I left the highway to cycle between orchards and vineyards. One or two slight hills and I was soon past Orofino, (Noting their new building which houses two very well appointed suites, available to rent.), Clos du Soleil and Corcelettes. Then a dip down, leaving Barcello for Upper Bench Road, and a short climb back up to cycle past the Grist Mill & Gardens and then it was on the Keremeos Bypass Road and making for 3A. The first 10 km or so, from here to just past Olalla are reasonably flat so I quite enjoyed this section as my legs were feeling a a tad weary. Once past Olalla there are a few shortish, gradual climbs but the first punisher comes as one passes the turn-off to Green Mountain Road. I had toyed with taking this route back to Penticton but decided against it, primarily due to the cattle-guard one must cross shortly after turning onto this route. 

At any rate, I plugged away on the long, slow climb all the way past Yellow Lake, noting a couple in a small rowboat, fishing and enjoying the idyllic surroundings. Once there the road flattens out until just past Toy Lake where there is another small climb to the turn-off to Twin Lakes Road. At this point one is soon past the gas station which serves the Twin Lakes community and near the top of a wonderful hill that provides a glorious descent to the last flat and climb before the final, delirious descent back to 97. Not much traffic here so I was able to encroach on the smoother surface of the road, the shoulder pavement being rougher and hence slower. Lady Luck was with me as I was able to make the left-hand turn onto 97 without having to stop to touch the Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader, and I was making my way towards Kaleden.

Although I was riding into the wind much of the last 14 km to the Penticton Airport is downhill so I only needed to stand up and pedal on the last gradual climb before the rest is all downhill to Skaha Lake Road. Caught both lights here and was soon cutting through Skaha Lake Park and was back on South Main with just over 94 km on my Garmin. Knew, from past experience that I was in good shape as far as overall distance was concerned, although I knew I'd not be able to break the 20 kph AVG barrier, given terrain and distance remaining. Still, I plugged away and once on Government, past Carmi, I had to take a slight detour to go around the road paving that was still in progress. I made a slight dipsy-doodle onto Duncan and then immediately left onto King which parallels Government. All the way on King to Forestbrook Drive and then back to Government, sailing along on the new asphalt. 

Quick right onto Eckhardt to avoid the red light there and then I caught the green on the dipsy-doodle back, to sail to Burns down to White and then into our back lane to find I was home ahead of Lady Dar! Must say that I was pleased with ride, given the number of significant climbs and heat of the day. Not blistering but warmer than it has been for my last few rides. My own mini-Tour d'Okanagan which I hope to extend domani when I plan to ride to Tinhorn Creek where we are having lunch with the Whitneys. I'll even be able to toast myself as Lady Dar will drive there and I'll put my bike on rack for return trip home. Hip Hip Hooray! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1266679019#.V5F0XGo8QDs.email

How about 12:30 at Mirodoro? We are settled in our quite sumptuous accommodations at Tinhorn Creek sitting on the deck in the shade looking out over the south valley and sipping our complementary Pino Grigio. After lunch you should drop by ‎so you get a sense of what we will be expecting on Mon/Tues :-) Cheers...Paul  

Hi Paul, 12:30 is fine. Not sure that we will be able to compete with Tinhorn. You can let us know after you complete the evaluation form. Would like to see your accommodations as we have never stayed there. Until tomorrow....Corinne
Hi Complimentary Pinot Grigio People! Save some of the free hootch for us! If, and only if it is not too, too pushy, I need a favour. I would like to ride to Tinhorn tomorrow, assuming I can freeload a quick shower in your sumptuous accommodation before luncheon! If this is okay, I would time my ride to arrive around 11:45 am. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!  

This will be fine Patrick. Why don't we meet around 11:45 in the Tasting Room and we can guide you from there. Cheers....Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment