Friday 29 July 2016

Crescent Beach Fast Track Blues: Friday, July 29th!

I have noticed that when chickens quit quarreling over their food they often find that there is enough for all of them I wonder if it might not be the same with the human race. -Don Marquis, humorist and poet (29 Jul 1878-1937


First lazy sleep-in this morning, until just after 8:00 am, in a week of wall-to-wall visitors. Better have enjoyed it as busy long-weekend coming up with Chloë and her friends, Katie and Brian and their two children, Emma and Luca, arriving later this afternoon for the next three days. Will finish watching Stage 18 time trials before heading out. With the wind at 13 NNW I think I'll return to Summerland and ride up  Garnet Valley Road. Have never ridden here before so looking forward to a bit of exploration.

After I had some yogurt and fruit and filled my camel pack/water bottle did a few chores and was ready to go by 10:45 am. Did my standard route regulare, PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside, noting all the beach and channel tubing activity, before hitting 97. Decided I'd do all the side dipsy-doodles into Red Wing and the small provincial parks along the way to Trout Creek so I had almost 20 km on the clock when I turned onto Wharf Street, In spite of riding into the reasonably strong wind, 13 kph NNW, I was very pleased to see that I had somehow managed to achieve an AVG of 23 kph. This gave me dreams of at least an AVG of 24 kph by ride's end, given that I should have the wind pushing me back home. 

Anyway, I wove my way through the most pleasant residential streets of  Trout Creek with quite a bit of impressive house construction on most of the route. When I left the dedicated bike path and was on Lakeshore Drive South I had a bit of protection from the wind and my AVG kept creeping up so that by the time I had reached Crescent Beach I was at or close to an AVG of 24 kph. Performed numerous gerbil, [Perhaps I should call then "marmot", Dear Reader, as this is probably zoologically more sensitive!], loops there to log 35 km on my odometre when I headed south again. Must say that I felt pretty optomistic about achieving an even higher AVG than I had first hoped for as I was zipping along with an AVG of 24.5 kph when I reached Trout Creek.

Only had to do one short dipsy-doodle to wait for the light at  Johnson Street before I was back on 97 and helped immeasureably by the wind. Almost delirious to realize that I had an AVG of 25.3 by the time I turned of finto Red Wing West to clock more distance. I assumed that I'd drop back down to an AVG of 25 kph when heading on the north run there, followed later by the same direction on Rierside, so I knew I had a bit of wriggle room to maintain that AVG, a terrific one for me, over that particular distance and terrain. At any rate, I was certainly more than delighted to see that I actually increased my AVG over the five or so lopps I did there and was clocking an VG of 25.6 kph when back on 97. 

[Judy Gray You have a great long weekend too. Our love to you all.
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Chloë just arrived and after she unloaded the car she repaired to the patio to have Nurse Cora Lee remove a piece of glass from her foot! Greetings from both the Sadistic Nurse and the Wailing Patient to one and all! Cheers!]

Light was red for the highway traffic at the exit of Red Wing so I was able to get over into the left lane easily and when I reached Riverside the light further ahead was in my favour and I was back on that street without having to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground! I was worried that it would be congested on Lakeshore but traffic was light and I was soon on Front Street and then past the two round-abouts making for the PTC. Back on Ellis the wind helped me all the way up to White and there I needed two small dipsy-doodles on Van Horne and Braid before sweeping into our back lane and I was home with an AVG of 25.5 kph, a dream come true! Must have been all the Tour coverage I have been watching that inspired me! Hip Hip Hourra Vive le Tour! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1279017773#.V5vE2eR6Pv8.email

Hi all, Yes, it is Jim instead of Pam. And it is on Jim-time….late as usual. This coming Monday, August 1st, we are going to try something quite different. We are going to cycle (yes, you heard it correctly) from Twin Lakes to White Lake to Willowbrook to Fairview to Oliver, ending up at Hildi’s place for refreshments. You must provide your own bicycle, and we will need to have enough vehicles with bicycle racks. We will meet at 0900 at the north parking lot of Home Hardware in Penticton (Summerlanders at 0840 at IGA parking lot in S’land). We will send some folks and vehicles to Hildi’s place in Oliver, where we will leave all of them except those we need to transport the drivers to Twin Lakes. The rest of the vehicles, with all the bicycles, will drive directly to Twin Lakes. After the bicycle ride, drivers will be transported to Twin Lakes to retrieve to vehicles.

I know it sounds a bit complicated (and it is). If anyone has a better idea, I am open to suggestions.
It will help greatly if we were to know numbers of people and bicycles, as well as the number of rack spaces which we will have available. So, please let me know if you are intending to join us and what rack space you have available. I can be reached by email or by phone and the more notice you can give me, the happier I will be. Cheers, Jim

Happy Long weekend Kenton! Just waiting for Chloë and her close friends. Katie and Brian, with their two children, Emma and Luca, to arrive later this afternoon. Have had wall-to-wall "freeloaders" since last Friday but no reservations fro August some come on out! Upper Bench thank-you dinner for wine club members, last Saturday. Rich, in blue, is originally from Winnipeg! Cheers!

Have a great visit with all your guests. Winston would prefer that no other dogs visit his grandparents'!! Love the "head pooper-scooper". Hello The Sisterhood! Been noticeably quieter here since Thursday evening! Just waiting for the long-weekend Freeloaders to arrive! Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Hi Marcus Aurelius and Krissy! Sorry I've not replied sooner but we've had wall-to-wall Freeloaders ever since last Friday and I've not had a moment to think, let alone attend to email! At any rate, thank you both for your notes of thanks. I'm not sure it would have made any difference if you had mentioned that you were planning to bring Porter but I feel the responsibility is the guest's when staying at someone's home to at least make sure you tell them what to expect beforehand. Anyway, we are both pleased the stay went well and that you had a chance to enjoy the area with The Scots!

Had a break today, from visitors, so was able to go for a wonderful ride. Farmer's Market tomorrow morning and then more wine-tasting. Life is tough in Penticton. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Jack Rabbit Slims and Phillipo! I know you are away in Chelan and I'm sorry I've not replied sooner. At any rate, thank you for your earlier messages, riding and bridge. Not sure if you will be back in time for bridge on Tuesday but Lady Dar and I will offer to host if there is enough interest. Hope there is as I've missed playing and seeing everyone. I'll send out a message to bridge group to see who is available. Trust your camping is going well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Roma and Leonardo! Thank you for the lovely card! Have a wonderful time in Ireland. We were in Dublin in 2010 for a week and had a terrifically enjoyable experience. Thank you for the notice of Kay's death. We did not know about it. I don't even know if Lou is aware that we have moved. However, I will be in touch with her, perhaps even have a chance to meet, as we are back in Vancouver on the 10th of this month. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment