Sunday 10 July 2016

GranFondo Full Tilt Boogie Blues: Sunday, July 10th!

You can never understand one language until you understand at least two. -Ronald Searle, artist (1920-2011) 

Chloe Alexis Dunn Ride like the wind Patrick James Dunn 🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼❤️🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼😊 🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼 🚴🏼🚴🏼🚴🏼 πŸ‘πŸ˜˜πŸš΄πŸΌπŸš΄πŸΌπŸš΄πŸΌπŸš΄πŸΌπŸš΄πŸΌ So very proud of you, 68 and riding a Granfondo (160 K) yet again!!!! WOW!!!!!! ❤️Sylvie Roy Bravo! C'est le meilleur! He's the best Colleen Teahan Waldron Patrick is riding in the Grand Fondo??? He never even mentioned it πŸ˜‰
Rebecca Ann
Rebecca Ann Go Patricio go!!!
Michele Darrow-Sutherland
Michele Darrow-Sutherland Amazing accomplishment !! Congrats

Thanks for the HI.. good luck on the Grandfondo race today.. see you a few weeks ..say hi to Corrie..cheers Ken 

Dear Patrick, Corinne Durston just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal!

Dear Patrick, Congratulations on achieving your fundraising goal! The money you've raised will make a tangible and lasting difference in the lives of the indomitable grandmothers of Africa and the children in their care.

Dear Patrick, Janet Tomkins just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal! Dear Patrick,

Peter Lighthall just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal! 

Hi, Patrick: Well, yet again, I am slow off the mark in replying to your message (not to mention acknowledging your e-card) . . . but in the better-late-than-never category, I  visited your donation page for the SLF ride TODAY.  You are likely on the road even as I write this.  No doubts that you will triumphantly complete . . . hope that it goes/went well. 

As far as riding goes, for my part, I am struggling, rather unsuccessfully, against a huge mental block.  As I've likely mentioned before,  I bought a beautiful Trek bike several years back, with aspirations for a happy, health-promoting cycling future.  However, the reality has been rather different, as I am an extremely nervous rider, too easily alarmed by vehicular traffic.  (For that matter, I am not a particularly enthusiastic driver, either.  I'm competent enough, but not naturally comfortable behind the wheel.)  Everyone advises following the neighbourhood bikeways, but there are vehicles on those, too!  It doesn't help that folks I know who ride regularly have, without exception, had at least one quite serious accident each.  (In my brother's case, it was nearly catastrophic.  His encounter with a car on the Dollarton Highways left a body-shaped impression in the car's windshield -- but he was lobbed into bushes and suffered only a few minor bruises and scrapes and a couple of days of crushing fatigue.)

James was here for a visit last week . . . a benefit of his previous Air Canada employment is that he is able to fly for the cost of taxes-only, which he takes advantage of quite frequently.  I picked him up at the airport and he took the wheel and we headed down to Poulsbo, WA, which I expect you've never heard of.  I had seen a bakery there profiled on a "best-small-bakeries" program on the Food Network, which also referenced the fact that the town was originally settled by Norwegian immigrants.  Since James is extremely proud of his Norwegian-ness, we decided to go and check it out.  I must say, I have never seen a place that wears its hyphenated origins so proudly and prominently.  Viking iconography and references everywhere.  But a charming place, with a delightful marina, and we both really enjoyed the break.  Will show you pics when I visit at the end of the month.

At which time, we can catch up with all other recent news as well.  I'm looking forward to seeing you then . . . . All the best. Janet


Hi Janet! Trust you are well. Thank you, again, for your more than generous donation. Pleased to say that I've exceeded my goal, in great good part, due to you! Yesterday, had another donation from Jo-Anne and I haven't yet had time to enter some of the "cash" donations I've received. I can understand your nervousness about riding so you will need to ride on dedicated bike paths, completely separate from vehicular traffic, until you have become more confident. Glad you had a good visit with James. Sounds as if Poulsbo is an interesting place. Had never heard of it! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Janet. Both of us are looking forward to your visit. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Colleen Teahan Waldron Ride like the wind today Patrick James Dunn
GranFondo 2016 ride for Grandmothers for Africa, Sunday, July 10th:
Event, at least for me, [There were a number of quite nasty accidents!], went extremely well so very, very pleased.

Up at 5:40 am, five minutes before the alarm was to go off. Felt I had a pretty good sleep so was ready for the coming ride. Stole into the kitchen to zap the mug of Colombian coffee Jugos Dom Pedro had sent home with me last night. A colleague had given him a pound on his last business trip to Vancouver and while I didn't want to drink a cup last night, when we were at their place, for dinner, I was more than happy to start my GranFondo morning with such a jolt! When it was ready, I popped into the shower to have a nice warm rinse, the better to loosen myself up.

Put on some of my riding togs and went to eat a quick breakfast: a slice of last night's delicious pizza and two pieces of toast, slathered with crunchy peanut butter and the last of the Durston Buckwheat Honey. While eating, I added NuuN tablets to my two water bottles. This year I will alternate drinking from the camel pack, [Two bladders filled with straight water, flavoured with Rose's Lime Cordial and a couple of squirts of Realemon to counteract the sweetness of the cordial.], and the water bottles, the theory being that the electrolytes will have time to reach everyone of my screaming muscle synapses! Anyway, thought I'd try it out and evaluate the results by the end of the 160 km!

After lubing up with loads of sunscreen I was ready to go and left the house at 6:45 am. Just a short haul down Ellis to kick over to Main and thread my way close to the front of my assigned start zone, F, where I had to wait for about ten minutes, surrounded by countless riders taking selfies and chatting, until the front zones started to move. Shortly after 7:00 am there was enough room around me so that I felt comfortable "clipping in" and we were off, making for Vancouver Avenue. I was surprised, as we moved past the community garden and saw riders, on both sides of the street in trouble already. One young woman, on my right, fell off her bike but claimed she was fine, while a couple of riders, on my left, either had flats or gear/chain trouble! At any rate, I cannot imagine having any of this happen so early in the ride. What a drag!

Pack started to thin out once we were past Poplar Grove and making our way to Upper Bench Road. Felt pretty good as the climbs had stretched me out nicely and I was riding comfortably. Paid close attention on the coming descent to Government and some of the turns thereafter but we were soon on Lakeshore/Riverside and then heading to Summerland on 97. Knew that we would be bucking a slight headwind, 6 kph N to 9 kph NNE, but I was fortunate enough to be able to tuck in behind a number of different groups/individuals all the way to the bottom of Peach Orchard and was clocking 26 kph when I started the climb. Even said hello to Tyrannosaurus Tinka on the corner of Switchback Road as he lives not far from there. Great to see him and I felt it was a good omen! Day was quite overcast, at this point, so the climb was accomplished at a perfect temperature and although I certainly didn't win the King of the Mountain title for my age category, I felt great all the way up. 

Sure and steady and I was soon on Victoria, heading into downtown Summerland and saw Murielle and Pricipessa, (to hiking group friends), on the corner of Jubilee Road W and waved to them as I whizzed past. Simply wonderful to have them cheering me on, (Murielle had mentioned that she thought they would be on the route, somewhere, in an earlier message.) and I took it as another good omen. Much of Victoria, past the turn-off to the golf course, is downhill so I was able to start pushing my AVG back towards 26 kph. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that it had only dropped to 25.3 kph by the time I'd climbed Peach Orchard!

With the coming steep descents down Hillborn and Gartrell I knew I would be in good shape to gain even more back. With most of the intersections being flagged I didn't have to worry about a vehicle shooting out across the road somewhere so I flew down the longest descent on Hillborn and did the same on the straightaways on Gartrell. Just before the sharp dog leg to the left, down from Silkscarf Winery, all the riders were cautioned, by a number of volunteers, to slow down. I thought it had to do with negotiating the coming hairpin turn but it turned out it was a nasty accident, as I soon discovered. A young woman was sprawled in the middle of the road, attended by a number of emergency personnel, not moving. She looked unconscious to me as her eyes were closed and she wasn't moving. No idea what happened but a grim reminder of what can happen!

Made my way, without mishap, back to 97 and was happy to have the wind more directly behind me now. A few minutes after we hit the highway, two young girls, wearing the same outfits, who had passed me on Peach Orchard, rode by me again. [I presume they stopped at the Aid Station in Summerland.] Although the wind was with me now I still wanted to up my pace and it seemed that theirs was something I could stay with. So I stood up in my saddle, caught up with them and tucked in behind. An older chap, (a coach?/their Dad?), was riding ahead, giving various instructions, over his shoulder, from time to time. Anyway, I drafted behind them all the way back to Penticton and we passed all sorts of others who I might not have had I not been with my young pace-makers! 

Once we were on Lakeshore I pulled alongside the young girl at the back and asked if they were twin sisters. In fact they are and fourteen years old! As well, it was their Father in front and this was their first GranFondo! They had entered the Mediofondo, 92 km, so I wished them both luck and pulled ahead to chat briefly with their Dad. Complimented him on his daughter's riding form and thanked him for the pull back to Penticton. They stopped at the Aid Station there so I waved goodbye when they pulled in and kept on South Main, making for Eastside. Not much chance for any drafting here as I was either going faster than the riders I caught up to or else the others who whizzed by me were riding too quickly to be of any use! Nevertheless, I was pleased to be back at 26 kph when I hit the bottom of McLean Creek Road. Hell-Bent Hanneke was there to wave and cheer me on so I was tickled to see her and delighted to be encouraged once again.

Climb up this hill seemed almost a piece of cake compared to Peach Orchard and before I knew it was at the top where the going was relatively easy with the wind still at my back. Funnily enough, had lost more speed on the ascent and I was clocking just below 24 kph when I was racing down past Meyer Family Vineyards. Saw at least a dozen Big Horn Sheep in the meadow across from the winery so took that as another good omen! Swooshed down into OK Falls to ride past the Aid Station. Was pleased to see that there were volunteers waving those who wished to stop to the right so that riders, like me, who weren't able to touch the Dreaded Burning Ground, were not impeded. 

Made my way back to Maple and was a tad distressed to see a a fair bit of gravel at the intersection 9th Avenue and Maple, an accident waiting to happen if any rider took the corner at speed and at bit of an angle. At any rate, no mishap and I was dsoon climbing up Oliver Ranch Road and then flying down the hill past Noble Ridge. Really enjoy this part of the ride as I knew the cattle guard at the bottom of the hill, where ORR joins 97 was going to be covered with plywood so I could zoom for most of the descent, not having to worry about hitting an exposed guard at a slightly wrong angle or having to stop for a break in the highway traffic. 

Taking ORR cuts out some of long, gradual grades on 97 before one reaches the tight curves around Vaseux so the rest of the ride to Gallagher Lake is pretty much on the flat and with the wind still at my back I was creeping up on 26 kph by the time McIntyre Bluff came into view. Just as the "face" one can discern on it came into view, a pick-up truck, one of the medical vehicles patrolling the ride, honked at me. I assumed it was just a general "good work" signal but when I passed it, stopped by the side of the road, a km or so ahead, I saw that it was St Killian! I assume that since he has pretty extensive and advanced First-Aid credentials as a active member of the ski patrol at Apex, he was a perfect fit for this specialized volunteer category. Anyway, we exchanged brief greetings and I chalked up yet another very good omen. This is about the halfway mark, 80 km, of the ride and I was still feeling very strong. My legs gave not the slightest sign of cramping and so I assumed that the electrolytes were doing their assigned work!

Not long later I was taking turn-off on Tuc-el-Nuit and although it is a bit of a low roller-coaster ride to Black Sage Road the wind was still a helpmate and I was soon looking at the long, reasonably steep slope up past Quinta Ferreira. Knew this was the last significant climb before Fairview so once I'd made it to the top I was ready for the run, more or less downhill, interspersed with a few slight rises/grades, to Road 22. As I hit 97 to turn back towards Oliver I was clocking an AVG of 26.3 kph with 55 km left! As you might imagine, Dear Reader, I was very pleased although I knew my AVG would drop every km, certainly for the next 25 km as every inch was uphill, all the way to Fairview Mountain where the tough climbing really started, and now I was riding into a head wind blowing at between 11 kph 15 kph straight out of the N!

Nevertheless, I made my lonely way up 97, passed a number of times by a three or four groups of riders, envying the lot of them for their ability to draft, given their numbers. However, I wasn't able to tag along as they were going far too quickly for me, on the uphill grade, and I was worried that if I tried to keep up, even given the benefits of drafting, I'd expend far too much energy and risk compromising my leg muscles for the remainder of the ride. I was happy enough to plug away and when Road 5 came into view I think I was still clocking around 24 kph so I wasn't too too disappointed at my progress. 

Shifted way down as soon as the golf course came into view and the last long, long climb began. Distracted myself on the early part of the ascent of Old Golf Course Road looking for golf balls hit over the gdriving range fencing and counted seven by the time I was around the bend and making for Fairview Cellars. Not many people on this section when I started up but a couple of riders passed me here but they slowed quite considerably on the last, toughest pull to the top and I overtook both of them before the relief of swinging onto Farview and then the sharp left onto Willowbrook and the worst was over!

Another reasonably steady pull up to the first of two pretty valleys that one rides through before coming to Willowbrook. I had been passed by a young woman on the gradualy, steady climb to the first of these but caught sight of her on the flat once we reached the floor of the west sie of the valley and decided I'd try to see if I could catch her. Wasn't really wanting or intending to draft behind her but rather use her as a pacemaker. My legs were still feeling pretty strong, though a tad weary, but still no signs of any cramping, so if she wasn't going at an overly punishing pace I knew it would push me to go faster than I otherwise might have done by myself.  

Standing up in the saddle, a number of times, I managed to close the gap and then rode quite comfortably most of the way to the Aid Station in Willowbrook . A  couple of km before, I took the lead to allow her to draft behind me. Whether she did so or not I don't know as I was only interested in riding for the last hairpin climb beyond the cattle-guard out of Willowbrook. At any rate, not too far before the guard in question, she passed me again and I thanked her, silently, for the service she had provided. By this time I knew that if I could keep my AVG close to 23 kph the possibility of completing the ride in under seven hours was achievable. At any rate, in the see-saw that one so often experiences, the two riders I'd passed at the top of Fairview, passed me at the bottom of the wide hairpin climb but again, I overtook them near the top of that last difficult ascent.

Then I was past White Lake, still as full as it was last Wednesday, given the recent rain, and then a bit of relief as one rides downhill for a goodly part of the way through the grasslands there. Long, long steady pull up to White Lake Road and then a glorious rest as one swoops down towards the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory and the last Aid Station of the circuit. As I cycled past I noticed St Killian and his medi-vehicle so shouted a quick greeting and then was making for St. Andrews by the Lake. By this time I was feeling quite confident that I could brake the seven hour mark as the rest of the climbs were not anything to worry about and my legs still showed no tell-tale signs of cramping. On my last two GF outing this is the point where they started to give warning twinges. 

Soon I was on the last exhilarating descent to 97, ignoring the warning signs to go slowly on the tight curves as I wanted every bit of speed I could steal before the last 14 km, from Kaleden to Penticton, when I would be back bucking the strong headwind. Tore over the last cattle guard at the base of the maddeningly steep, fortunately short hill before hitting 97 and then the penultimate section was on. Roller-coaster ride, battling the wind, until the last drop all the way to Lakeshore Drive W and I was back in Penticton. Still about five km to go, most of it slightly uphill and with the unrelenting wind, nothing to sneeze at by this time. Still, the thought of handing in my best time to date, spurred me on and I felt confident enought to push quite hard,  at least for me, from time to time, standing up and going as fast as I could muster, every 100 m or so.

Catastrophe almost struck at the intersection of Skaha Lake Road and Main Street. All of the smaller side-streets, in this section, have barricades and flashing stop lights, cyclists having the right-of-way. Here, at Dawson Ave, quite an elderly woman stepped out into the roadway. I saw her in enough time to know I could avoid her if she kept going but almost in the same instant four other riders came hurtling by, shouting at her as they swerved to avoid her, two going left, as she stood frozen in the roadway, two going right, just missing me by inches! Thanking my lucky stars that a collision, of some sort, (Likely with serious consequences for the pedestrian if not for anyone else.), I kept on, with even greater resolve, probably as a result of the adrenaline now coursing through my system. 

Just before reaching Duncan Ave I came up behind one of the riders who had passed my, way back, on White Lake Road. Looked like he was struggling a bit by this point, (Much like me on my first GF at this last stage of the event so I could really sympathize although I rejoiced, inwardly, that I was not so afflcited again!), so I said we had it beat by now as a block or so ahead the grade to the finish line is downhill. Wished him well and pumped ahead, delighted to know I'd be coming in under seven hours. Even had time to do a mini-dipsy-doodle before the finish chute as my odometre was only at 159.90 km when the volunteers wanted to cut the riding chip off my right fork. One small circle and I was at 160.03 km and ready to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader!

Very, very pleased that ride had turned out so well, (Everything seemed to come together perfectly: cooler weather, drafting possibilities, electrolyte replacement and earlier training sessions, [both at Falcon and hereabouts], and perhaps, most importantly, a sober night before the event!), so I checked my Trek and went to relieve my bladder, to my great relief, before picking up my complimentary hamburger and bag of chips. Since I had crossed the finish line just after 2:00 pm Lady Dar was not around, expecting me to be at Gyro Park by 2:30 pm at the earliest, based on last year's time. Happily munching, (I was actually quite hungry by now.), I wandered the grounds, looking for her. A few minutes later Phantom Fantini, (John Fantini, a chap I'd met last July while cycling along Naramata Road.), hailed me and we had a great visit. He is a very strong rider and had completed the GF in six hours!

A short time afterwards, Lady Dar appeared and the three of us spent a very pleasant time catching up. I'd not seen John since last October as we were off to India, he to Australia until this April. I'd seen him briefly once he was back, (at the round-about near the Prague CafΓ©), but only to say hello and goodbye. Anyway, hope to start riding with him again once back from the Folk Fest next weekend. Congratulated him on his terrific ride and then we walked home. Lady Dar had brought a pair of Crocs and I knew the stroll would give my legs a different stretch as I was still concerned about post-ride cramping. Pleased to report that never experienced any so couldn't be happier with the longest ride and best AVG for this distance ever. Thanks so very, very much, as well, to so many friends and family members for your encouragement and support, both emotional and financial, in my fund raising effort for Grandmothers for Africa. Pleased to report that I have exceeded my $1000 goal, due entirely to everyone's more than generous donations. Thanks again, one and all. Hip Hip Hooray! Onward!!! Map and Stats for 2016 GranFondo ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1250449852#.V4LPFe4W9lg.email
Colleen Teahan Waldron Undoubtedly caused by the excessive wind turbulence released as you blitzed your way through the Okanagan Grand Fondo Patrick James Dunn Poppa, did you ride straight through this today to shave off a few seconds of your stinkin' time in the 160km Grand Fondo?? Sara Jane McGillivray While you were toiling away at your 160 kms, I had a very pleasant 70kms ride with my WOW ridecycling group - Kits to Steveston to River Road and back. You are such a trooper - passing by all those wineries without stopping. Congratulations on a really great ride.
Ginette Bertrand Quite an achievement Patrick!
David Kessler I love the way you find time to take detailed notes while maintaining your grip on the handlebar! Not everyone is so skilled! Congrats on a gripping account as well as a tremendous ride!
Nancy Mennel
Nancy Mennel Bravo Patricio!!! So glad to hear of your successful and injury free triumph !
Brenda McMorlandBrenda McMorland Quite a story to read and remember!!! Congratulations to you! Did you ever hear anything more about the girl and the accident? I am glad everything went so extremely well.Sara Jane McGillivray Congratulations, Pat!! I'm so glad that you accomplished your time goal (sub 7 hours) and avoided legs cramps.
Sara Jane McGillivray



Chloe Alexis Dunn Great job Dad!!!!! Love you❤️πŸŽ‰



Patrick James Dunn

Patrick James Dunn Watching some of the early stages of the Tour inspired me!
Colleen Teahan Waldron Congratulations Patricio!!! BRAVO!!!
Maggie Carr Eh bien, Patricio, I have to admit I'm pretty impressed how well you ride for an old guy!! I can say that since I think I have you beat by a year. What's even better is reading your description of the ride. I felt like I was with you!!πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ Felicitation!
Hi Pat, Thanks for the cheery 'Just Saying' Hi' card. It's always great to hear from you. I just read your FB post about your Fondo. Wow, you are amazing. Your age (I know it's 68 thanks to Chloe's post) certainly does not stop you from anything!! I am determined to keep riding as I am convinced that it will keep me young as my age creeps up, and you are an excellent role model for that!! Thanks so much, and cheers to you and Corrine. 
After reading your bike escapade.....catching and passing the ‘speedo,’ and accomplishing what you did....I am “pooped” right here....sitting.    Your doing great.....wonderful to hear what happens to busy, interesting people.......keep it up.....As ever, Arv....Thanks to you both; and to PD, Sandee has all the info and as it is; my computer does not need it too....thanks again.....Arv I guess it didn't like me. Sandee
Maybe do - White Lake road to Oliver but we can decide when meet - 8.30 Home Hardware hope that's good bye Gill Kathy, can you pick me up at mailboxes 8.15am? Thx Have a great ride everybody...I will have family from Van here on Tues. See you soon I hope! Liz Sounds great ColleenHi All,
Gill, I was hoping to get a ride with you! at least from HH. I have to drop my car off for a new windscreen at 8, and need to be back in town by 12:15.
How many extra bike slots are there? If the group will not be back by 12:15, I will pass on White Lake/Oliver ride and do my thing closer to Penticton.
KathyHi all, I will likely stay closer to town, my leg is still healing, but I will try to get to HH by 8:30 to meet you if I am not there, go without me. My sister is arriving tomorrow, and I may have last minute stuff to do...Hanneke
 
Hi all, looks like maybe a local ride is best tomorrow. If we did Oliver/White Lake don't think we'd get back Kathy for 12.15. How many bike slots I don't know. If I can't get a lift from Kathy I need to be back earlier too. Perhaps just meet tomorrow and discuss. bye Gill OK by me!
Hi All I think I will pass on the ride tomorrow, sorry for the back and forth. Gill. I can still give you a ride to HH but will need to pick you up at 7:45, at the bottom of the hill? Kathy

Dear Patrick, Patricia Durston just made a donation  in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal!

Hi P and C. Our plans for coming Aug-Sep in design stage. We arr YVR 20 Aug, depart 14 Sep. We'd love to visit you, driving up for a few days, which side of the long weekend would suit? I want to get over to Nanoose Bay too, I'll contact G&F after we get vidit to you sorted. Hope the bike ride was good, and profitable. -- Stephen 

Hi Paul, we will have friends from Summerland with us so I don't think that dinner will work as it is their first time at the folk fest and I don't want to leave them as we are staying with people who they don't know. Would like to see what they want to do. Best Corinne Understood Corinne. Hope to see you on site on Friday. Safe travels down. Cheers....Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment