Tuesday 12 July 2016

Back in the Saddle Bike Bridge Blues: Tuesday, July 12th!

 Words / as slippery as smooth grapes, / words exploding in the light / like dormant seeds waiting / in the vaults of vocabulary, / alive again, and giving life: / once again the heart distills them. -Pablo Neruda, poet, diplomat, Nobel laureate (12 Jul 1904-1973)


good morning all, I have my sister arriving this afternoon, and need to get ready today. I thought I would be further ahead. sorry to miss another ride, but I should be good to go soon! have fun all, stop by if you ride past my house, Hanneke Anybody interested to bike in Summerland? I overslept and can't t be there in time. We could cycle from Rotary beach to Crescent to Troutcreek and around back. Idea?

Dear Generous, Generous Donors! It goes without saying that I am most appreciative of your tremendous support! I believe/(hope!) that a message of thanks was sent, by me, via the GFA system, but I wanted to thank everyone in a more personal way. [I do hope to contact each and everyone of you, individually, when I've a bit more time.] Again, your support has been wonderful. Thanks to those who commented via Facebook and apologies to same users of this system for including my account of the ride below. I know that some of my donors do not use this social medium so I wanted to provide my perspective on the ride, if interested. The attached snap was taken by Lady Dar in Gyro Park after the finish. I'm with Phantom Fantini!

  
Hi Patrick, I was pleased to see your offsider was mearing Aussie colours, Orica Green edge was an Aussie team in le Tour great to see you survived the ride and by the looks enjoyed yourself. Cheers from Greg and Claire Yayeee! Congratulations Patrick! You're absolutely fabulous! ❤️💋❤️

Hi Patricio, My most heartfelt congratulations on such a great ride!. I am so pleased that all went so well and that we got a chance to have a nice visit before the event. Far far too short but great all the same. Enjoyed reading your account of the ride, glad the weather cooperated so nicely. Take care and we will catch up soon. Cheers

Thanks Patrick! And congratulations! What a great ride. I can't imagine riding for 7 hours straight at even my age! When I was 21 I rode daily for 5 hours covering 80 km (when I rode across Europe in 1981) which is a much slower rate than your time! I guess I had saddle bags and stopped for lunch though....Pam Hi Patrick! Looks like you have recuperated from your Granfondo ride! Hey, where is your play by play account? Maybe it's still in the works. I'm planning on attending tonight..... Thanks for hosting. Pam Hi Spumoni! Great that you will be joining us for bridge! Find the account of my ride below. See you this evening. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, I am unable able to attend. Bill helped harvest lavender a couple of weeks ago so we are attending a lavender harvest dinner tonight😊 I hope you successfully completed your Grand Fondo ride. I finished 92 km, the distance that I signed up for. As I expected, with little to no prior training my butt was the worse for wear😀 All else was fine. Pam

Hi Lavender Girl! Sorry that you will not be joining us for bridge! You mentioned the dinner on Saturday, just as we were leaving but thanks for confirming your non-attendance. Congratulations on completing your ride even, or especially if/since you suffered! How did William do with the Velocefondo? I thought of him, enviously, as I passed the turn-off to Seacrest as I knew he'd probably be swilling beer at Gyro Park by then! (Find the account of my ride below, if interested.)

We are off to Vancouver, with Jos and Aart, on Thursday, for the Folk Fest, this weekend. Back on Monday but off to Spirit Ridge, in Osoyoos, on Tuesday, for two nights, to stay with close friendsso we won't be around for bridge next week. Will ask Jack Rabbit Giliana to send out a message about bridge, next Tuesday, when they are here tonight.

Planning to go for an easy "stretch' ride shortly as I took the day off yesterday. We have three house guests, from Roberts Creek, at the moment, Agneta, Lady Dar's close friend of 47 years, and her two lovely grandchildren, Mika, 12,  and Sasha, 10. Gang are off to the market in Summerland this morning. Cheers, Patrizzio! The attached snaps are of visitors, yesterday, on patio.

Patrick, Sounds like you had a great ride. All that training paid off! Bill really enjoyed the new distance introduced this year (126 km). It also meant that we finished very close in time to one another, so no waiting for him to finish. So that was nice too. We'll have to get out on a ride together (as long as you don't mind a shorter slower ride)😊

It's a good cause. See you on the weekend. Maybe a beer in the garden. Penny Haggarty will be here. Hi Lynn! Sorry that we will not be joining you on Friday. I believe Lady Dar sent a reply explaining about our friends, etc. Anyway, will try to connect at the Fest itself Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello Bayswater Bed & Breakfast! Trust everyone is well. We expect to leave Penticton by 12:30 pm so, all going well, we'll be knocking on your door between 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm, all going well, with traffic, etc. Have a question to ask of Theodorakis. Are you taping the Tour? I have been but somehow Stage 9 did not record. Everything else did! I wanted to watch the climb into Andorra, in particular! Anyway, if you have it I'd like to see some of it at some point, over the course of our stay. Thanks. See you on Thursday. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

By the time I'd watched Stage 10 of the Tour, (I have been recording all the stages but somehow Stage 9 did not record. Everything else did! I wanted to watch the climb into Andorra, in particular!), and had a bite to eat it was close to noon before I left. AccuWeather suggested that the wind would not be too, too bad, 6 kph N at 11:00 am so I decided I'd head to Summerland to have it at my back by the time I was making for home. Started off with my route regulare and was soon zipping through Red Wing East before making for Trout Creek. Couldn't believe I was doing so well along 97 as I was clocking an AVG of over 22 kph by the time I turned off onto Wharf Street. At any rate, I have given up trying to figure out the wind direction as there seem to be so many micro-climates where the gusts can come from any direction.

Soon made Lakeshore Drive South and was en rout eto Crescent Beach. Spied a rider ahead of me on the new stretch out of Trout Creek and caught up to her just before Peach Orchard. Used her as a pacemaker until we reached Crescent Beach and then I passed her as I wanted to do a few dipsy-doodles there to give me the distance I wanted by the time I was back. This being the case I had 35 km on the clock when I headed south. Not as easy going as I had imagined it would be but I've often found this to be the case along this stretch. Anyway, I made reasonable progress and had pushed my AVG up to about 23.3 kph by the time I was back in Trout Creek. When I hit 97 again, bit of a head wind which was both annoying and puzzling, given forecast had suggested wind was going to be out of the north. 

Nothing to do but continue as best I could and was certainly pleased when I clocked 24 kph. Even had hopes of going for 25 kph as I had the distance ahead of me to allow such a gain. However, the closer I rode to Penticton, the stronger the head wind became and the best I could do was hit 24.5 kph as I was leaving Red Wing West. Still, was reasonably happy when I pulled onto Riverside. Plenty of traffic so I dropped down to 24.3 kph waiting for huge pick-ups to park, pesky pedestrians with yappy dogs to cross at various intersections and dawdling scooter riders to decide where they wanted to go! quick zip to the PTC and then I was pumping up Ellis, fighting my way towards Burns, on White, the wind blasting into me. 

Still, managed to maintain the aforementioned AVG so was pleased as my legs felt terrific after a day's rest. Hard to believe my AVG was only 1 kph faster than for the GF and I did today's ride on the flat. Just shows what drafting and wind direction, not to mention climbs, have to do with one's speed. Took a look at AccuWeather when back home and discovered that the wind direction had, in fact, changed, around noon to 6 kph ESE, to 20 kph S at 1:00 pm and then 18 kph SSE at 2:00 pm. Perfect timing for my ride so that I was almost always riding into a head wind! 'Ain't Life Grand! Map and Stats for ride: 
 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1253374769#.V4VkXefWo14.email
 
Hello Naramatia! Just a quick note to thank you both, again, for the two wonderful, back-to-back dinners and your ever-generous hospitality. Thanks again, Jugos, for your donation, java, garlic, basil and parsley! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Celebratory dinner on Sunday evening. Patrick, We enjoyed your visits on Saturday and Sunday. Nice pics, thanks. Agneta’s granddaughter sure resembles her granny. My golf season resumes tomorrow and Thursday, after a worrisome practice session today.

Cheers, Peter PS hope this message isn’t too wordy.Hi Bad Boy! Trust you and Joyce are well. I gather you are in England now. Thanks for the best wishes for GF. Missed you beside me but had a wonderful ride. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrizzio, By now you have probably tended to all your aching muscles and are able to walk straight legged again :>). 160 clicks! Sounds like a challenge!
I only opened your card now, as I just returned from an Alaska Cruise with my German girlfriend Christa. Had a fabuloso time!

I don't "do" Facebook, but will try to get a donation off through the website you provided, in the next couple of days. Sorry, I also missed your wedding anniversary party you held in Vancouver early May or so, I was in Florida at the time, and totally missed it all. My apologies also for not writing sooner, I seem to go from one travel deadline to the next (Florida is coming up again early August), and only manage to get the essentials done in between, sorry. I know you have a forgiving nature. Love Yda
 

Now that you are all rested up from the GranFondo how about the scenic mountain bike trek we discussed……I am thinking to organize it for Wednesday July 20th….comments? Some wiggle room on the date but not much!
We would pick you and your bike up at your house or nearby…….Also when we return to Penticton on the KVR would you be able to drive us up to pick up the truck used to haul bikes earlier?


Dear Patrick, Christina Tassell just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal! 

Hi Patrizzio, By now you have probably tended to all your aching muscles and are able to walk straight legged again :>). 160 clicks! Sounds like a challenge!
I only opened your card now, as I just returned from an Alaska Cruise with my German girlfriend Christa. Had a fabuloso time! I don't "do" Facebook, but will try to get a donation off through the website you provided, in the next couple of days.


Sorry, I also missed your wedding anniversary party you held in Vancouver early May or so, I was in Florida at the time, and totally missed it all. My apologies also for not writing sooner, I seem to go from one travel deadline to the next (Florida is coming up again early August), and only manage to get the essentials done in between, sorry. I know you have a forgiving nature. Love Yda

Hi Patrick, I am not able to correctly decipher that milelong link to the donation website. Either my eyesight is too poor or the font is difficult to read. Anyway, I have tried twice and am getting nowhere. So if you are able to email it to me, now that would be AWESOME!! PS I don't "do" Facebook, sorry. Take care Yda

No comments:

Post a Comment