Thursday 7 July 2016

Lady Dar's Costco Run Blues: Thursday, July 7th!

Men rarely (if ever) managed to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. -Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction author (7 Jul 1907-1988) 


Bruno Sterckeman Carol and I will be at your house on July 24th to see the arrival of the Tour on the Champs Elysées.

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Well timed! Not only for the Tour but Joan and Paul Whitney will be arriving the next day. A VPL reunion! Watching Stage 6 as I scribe! View from Little Engine on the Naramata Bench. Every Tour rider is a "Little Engine"! Bruno Sterckeman Every cyclist that completes the Tour de France deserves the maillot jaune.
Patrick James Dunn

Patrick James Dunn Couldn't agree more!
Carol Riera Our dates are tentative, but with Bruno at the wheel, he is usually pretty good at estimating. Just depends if other friends hold us up on the way! see you soon. xoxo
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Let us know as trip evolves as bookings are coming fast and furiously!

John Keogh Cd arrive yet champ? Patrick James Dunn Hi John! Yes, it did, late last week. Been so busy with visitors and training for GranFondo this coming Sunday that i've not had a chance to listen to it, however. Am saving it for a week today when we will drive down to Vancouver, with good friends, for the Folk Fest that weekend. Am watching Stage 6 of the Tour as I scribe. Inspiration for my coming 160 km ride. Seems a short distance in comparison. More visitors arriving tomorrow. Part of my support team! Cheers! Trying to decide on the right blend for my camel pack!!!

Way to Go Patrick!! I would like to donate $30 for your ambitious efforts and definately come to cheer you on either at the Beanery or Peach Orchard Beach in Lower Town Not sure about donating on Facebook so I pledge to give you that donation in person An occasional fellow hiking companion Murielle


Hi Murielle! Trust you are well. We've been away in Manitoba since last week so I've not been on any hikes. As well, once back, I've been concentrating on riding for this coming Sunday's GranFondo. Thank you very much for wanting to donate to my fund raising effort. Certainly greatly appreciated.
I understand your reluctance to donate via Facebook. However, my Grandmothers for Africa personal page:


https://slf.akaraisin.com/pledge/Participant/Home.aspx?seid=11694&mid=9&pid=2756658


is administered by the Stephen Lewis Foundation so it is as secure as one can find. Still, I'm delighted to accept your donation however you prefer to make it so thanks again. Thanks again for your generosity. Thanks, also, for wanting to cheer me on! Trust we'll see each other, either on Sunday, or else in the not too, too distant future, on a hike! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick, Murielle Blezy just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal! 

Good morning again Patirick I believe I have successfully transmitted my donation to the Grandmothers for Africa on your behalf...That is such a wonderful act of charity for you to undertake!,...

I read your letter in full and continue to be in awe of your photographic memory!! Don't tell me you have a video cam on your helmut!! The way you describe every bit of scenery every turn,...every bump on your ride leaves me speechless...what a wonderful gift...and of course your capacity to express in words!!.. I used to have a half decent memory but something happened to my brain and stole my video tape!!...very frustrating at times!!...I manage with what's left!!...not getting any worse!!...Thank goodness!!

You have a very rich life with your wife and family and friends...Love the title for your place"Hot Sheets Hotel and Gin Joint".. Ha!Ha! Well you and Lady Di have been busy travelling and entertaining and making new & interesting friends!!....

I too have been to the Prairies and back!!...I drove the Subaru leaving May 17th...bunked in a Travel Lodge in Brooks Alberta and arrived at my youngest sister Joanne's the next evening ..Carievale Sask. They have a Ranch of sorts...grain and cattle and so was able to help out with getting the house ready for guests and putting in the garden and weeding and get a flower bed ready for their son's wedding on May 28th did have fun helping one day with some herding cattle to their farmyard where they inoculated the newborn calves against " Black Leg "the loading and hauling matching cows & calf to another pasture ..all with my sister & brother in-law,..their son and his 3 kids...an interesting day indeed No horses though...just the vehicles and a sort of ATV called a side by 2

The wedding was lovely about 200 guests..also spent 3 days on my other sisters Ranch ..the farm where I grew up in Storthoaks Sask....and got to get reacquainted with her children grandchildren...ect My Oder sister and husband now retired in Saskatoon and their children and grandchildren also were there for the wedding as well as my brother from Edmonton..Spent 3 days in Winnipeg visiting still living uncles and aunts and multiple cousins in Winnipeg and many cousins in Sask. and old friends I had lost contact over the years
I am from such a large extended family that I only got to see half the 1st cousins if that I also have a sister in Montreal that couldn't make it home plus my 3 children were not able to be there either...as well as and many other nephews and nieces!!
 

But then that freed me to concentrate on the relationships with relatives & friends that were not nurtured over the past 40 years ..mostly because of commitments with raising a family and distance ...Returned from my holiday a bit exhausted and visited out...then two weeks home my older sister Jocelyne and my youngest Joanne came out here for the Elvis Festival week-end and Dominion Day and Rib Fest...We had a wonderful time again this year and Jocelyne just went back to Saskatoon on Tuesday

Now it's time for me to get serious again with walking and aquasize and if I ever get there again..a Monday's hike!!...I might even get to ride my bike which has been ignored for the last couple of years!!...would love to do the KVR again and the Myra Canyon!! So Sunday it is I will call Sharon and maybe she can join me to cheer you on So Go Patrick Go...Ride Like the Wind!!!....Stay safe!! Regards!! Hugs from a hiker friend!! Murielle (Elle)


Hi again, Murielle! Yes, your donation went through so just wanted to thank you so much for the very generous donation! Certainly much appreciated indeed! Marian Dunn, as well as Lady Dar, belong to GFA, and I agree, it is a remarkable organization.

You travelled more extensively on the Prairies than we did! I too know how exhausting "holidays" can be and then you had more visitors as soon as you were home. You need to put a sign on your front door "Gone Hiking!" Thanks again for your compliments on my reports. In fact, I know the routes fairly well so it isn't all that difficult to remember the topography but I'm glad you enjoy them nevertheless. See you and Principessa on Sunday! Thanks again for your donation and your support. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

Hi High Soaring Eagle, Swan Woman, Santa Juliana and Deer Cull Person!
Trust everyone is well. Welcome back to the shores of the Salish Sea, Kjell. Would love to visit but not for next little while as too, too many Freeloaders have already made reservations! Trust we'll see each other in the not too, too distant future! Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, en route to Costco, in Kelowna, for a semi-full of provisions to feed coming hordes! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick: Thank you so much for the cute card. Hope your summer is going well. I'm busy busy as ever. Lots of Hugs to you both..........Hildi  

Hello Von Bingen! Trust you are well. On Monday we went to Terravista  with visitors. Had a lovely time with Senka and even a brief chat with Bob, on his tractor, working in vineyard! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Pat good to hear from you. Sad to report by my squash career may be finished since have severe arthritis now in left knee. So will be trying biking and swimming next. Sounds like you are enjoying life in the Okanagan.
Survival in Vancouver is getting more expensive and annoying. Would like to move to Victoria but Jan is against that. I have to scale back my art thing, since am losing too much money at that. If you are visiting Vancouver some time let me know and we can get together. May be travelling a bit in August..my brother and I have a little bit of land near Keremeos. All the best Ron 


Hello Mr Grizzle! Sorry to hear about your severe arthritis. Biking and swimming are easier on the body however, so Buona Fortuna with next stage! We'll be in town for Folk Fest next weekend but unfortunately won't have time for anything other than Jericho. However, you are more than welcome to stay with us in August if you are up to survey your estate in Keremeos! Bring your bike and we can ride the KVR! Keep in touch as we'd love to see you here. Cheers, Patrizzio!  
Hello Folk Fest People! Trust you are both well.  Have been in touch with Lynn and she won't there until later that day/evening as she's picking up Penny, down from Kamloops. She is interested in dinner, somewhere, as well. Are you planning to be there for 2:00 pm? Perhaps we can connect and make plans about getting together, one evening, if it works for everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick & Corinne, We are planning on being there Friday afternoon and part of the main stage evening. Also planning on Sat & Sunday as well, again staying for part of the early evening offerings. Friday afternoon we'll be at Stage 4 from 2:00 on. Friday evening we want to see Jolie Holland & Sam Parton on the main stage at 6:20. Saturday we want to see Oysterband at 7:25 on the main stage. Sunday we want to see Hayes Carll on Stage 3 at 7:10. Dinner one of these evenings would be good after the music. See you soon....Paul

Hi Paolo! Thanks for sending along your schedule. Should be able to track you down at one of the venues even if you are not wearing a house arrest ankle bracelet! I might well send along some of our schedule, with respect to people we'd like to hear and where, next week, but I'm sure we'll connect no matter what. Fondestos to one and all from Lady Dar. Snaps below show produce she brought in while out watering her garden earlier this evening. Tonight's salad! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Apricots from our 'biker" neighbours next door!
Sounds like a wonderful ride but watch the golf balls! I wont' make it to the Folk Fest till later Friday as I ahve to pick up Penny who's coming down from Kamloops, so I'll leave it up to you and the Whitneys to work something out. Just let me know. Looking forward to seeing you and the festival (hope it's not one of those downpour years where the only pleasure is being able to brag you were there.) Lynn  

Hi again, Lynn! Just sent a note to Paolo to see if they are interested in dinner, somewhere, as well. Haven't been for my penultimate training ride yet as I have to discharge my endless list of house chores, left for me by Lady Dar, en route to Costco, in Kelowna, for a semi-full of provisions for coming hordes, before I'm allowed out! While vacuuming and doing other odd jobs I'm re-watching last part of Tour. I'm taping all the stages but recording for today's session ended 6 km from a very exciting finish! Found another channel which is showing it but since it's not recorded on our machina I've had to wait a couple of hours for last sprint. 7.1 km left so must away to watch the finish, I hope! 

Dear Patrick, Agneta Dyck just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal!

Hi Agneta! Just wanted to thank you so much for the very generous donation! Certainly much appreciated indeed!  See you Monday. Thanks again for your donation. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Lady Dar was back from Kelowna before I was ready to leave the house so once I'd helped her unload groceries and put them away it was close to 2:00 pm. Knew from AccuWeather that wind was blasting at 22 kph S so I was faced with a full, force gale on way to OK Falls. Still, I prefer to fight Aeolus on way out rather on way home so set off down Government. In my discombobulation, I didn't climb Vancouver Hill so had to make up the distance, (not the ascent, obviously), by doing two loops around Skaha Lake Park before hiting Eastside. Once there, the fight really began and just after the first slight climb there, still in the outskirts of Penticton, I was passed by a chap on a mountain bike. We agreed that the wind was something else and he carried on. He was maintaining quite a pace and even with his heavier bike I never thought I'd see him again.
A few minutes later, I passed a young woman and I mentioned that things would be better on return leg and she said that unfortunatley hers was a one-way trip but that she'd probably face a head wind next morning! Always the way, ususally, more often than not, as we all know! Anyway, once on the first part of completely exposed Eastside, I saw the same chap up ahead. I suppose the terriifc blasts ahd slowed him down a bit so I determined to see if I could catch him, if only to draft, Dear Reader. With a bit of work, standing up in the saddle, I managed to do so. Surprsingly, my AVG was even over 20 kph when I stuck in behind him and so I felt pretty good. Rode this way for a few km and then I took over to give him a needed break. Had to fight all the way to turn-off to Blasted Church but it was worth it as by then my AVG was 20.9 kph. He waved goodbye there as I took McLean Creek. Was pretty pleased as I had not been looking forward to Eastside from the moment I set out.

At any rate, climb up McClean Creek was pretty good and it was not until I was in the valley at the top that the strong head wind reasserted itself. By then I didn't care as I knew the end was in sight and I was soon whizzing down the hill into OK Falls, counting about 15 Big Horn Sheep grazing, nonchalantly, paying me but the slightest, if any attention, in the meadow across the road from Meyer Family Vineyards. Seeing them was obviously a very good omen as this was first sighting since being back from Falcon! Had enough distance on the clock, at the bottom of the hill, to turn right onto Maple and head back to Eastside and make for home. With the wind at my back and the recently repaved surface under my tires, I was in 7th heaven. This being the case the ride along Eastside was terrifically enjoyable now. In contradistinction to the earlier battle I hurled myself along and was soon logging an AVG of 21.8 kph. 

I was determined to see if I could hit 22 kph and was pleased that the former AVG didn't drop as I made my way up South Main and then Dawson. Once on Government I knew my goal was achievable, although I didn't break the 22 kph barrier until I turned onto White and was zipping towards our back lane. Still, I was pleased as punch, given the wind conditions. This training push will, presumably, hold my legs in much good stead, on Sunday.  Map and Stats for GranFondo Training Ride 5:
 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1245996766#.V374bnVaQOo.email
 

Hi Patrizzio, we are happy to make a donation towards Grandmothers for Africa. Have a great ride! Jim and Anthea Hi Patrick, Thank you for your card. We will gladly donate to Grandmothers for Africa but I am not on facebook and I can’t make that URL work either. Now what do we do? Cheers Anthea
  
Hi Anthea! Thanks very much for wanting to donate to my fund raising efforts for GFA. Certainly much appreciated. If you cut and paste this link, it should take you to my personal page and you can donate there:

https://slf.akaraisin.com/pledge/Participant/Home.aspx?seid=11694&mid=9&pid=2756658

I should have remembered that one cannot cut and paste from the Jacquie Lawson cards! I will have to send a similar message to Jos as I gather she has encountered the same problem. Anyway, I think this should work as Murielle managed to donate after I sent her the link. If not, please let me know and we can work something out. Sorry for all the fuss and bother. All the best to you and James and to Tia Maria, of course! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: We are going the the Vancouver Folk Fest with Jos and Aarturo next weekend. Four of us will be staying with Elaine and Ted Keating, in-laws of Will Valley, high-school friend of Jules. I think I might have mentioned connection on one of our hikes. E/T do a fair bit of grand-parenting so we might see Will and family over the course of our stay.
  
Hi Patrizzio, Charming card! Can you please send me the link to your personal page by email? I cannot copy it from the Jacquie Lawson website. Thanks!
Cheers, Aarturo & Josinta
Hello Summerlandia! Thanks for reminding me that one cannot cut and paste from the Jacquie Lawson cards! Fondestos to you both from Lady Dar, out watering her garden. She just brought in tonight's salad! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: kale, cherry tomatoes and rosemary; apricots from our neighbours next door.

Dear Patrick, Brenda McMorland just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal! Hi Brenda Louise!
Trust you are well. Thank you so much, Picasso, for donating to my fund raising effort. I know that Brenda Louise will be cutting down on your treats now! This being the case, your generosity is certainly greatly appreciated! Thanks again for your avian generosity. Cheers, Patrizzio!

The plan was for the four of us to stay at your place on Sat night the 16th. I assume you have your tickets for us to use. When do you arrive in Vancouver. Bradley is staying with us but you guys have the master bedroom and I will leave keys for you. I have sent you some money for the fondo. Bert's surgery was cancelled today. They sent him home and told him that they would call him tomorrow to reschedule. Jaxon had his allergy test and was told that he is allergic to peanuts.

Hi Wayne and Michele, We are not planning on staying at your place on Folk Fes weekend. Will be staying at the Keatings as it is closer and we can walk to and from. We are expecting you here on the July 16th date of the Poplar Grove party. I do have two tickets that you can use. One has my name and the others is in Nicole's. I don't know how strict they are.
 

Chloe has 4 friends who also want to stay that weekend. Mark and Chrissie who you know and two other friends of theirs and Chloe. We have not yet replied to them but there is room. You would have our room and the guest room. The others could use the rumpus room and study.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on July 19 and 20th at Spirit Ridge. Will call to talk about food later. Al and Colleen arrive tomorrow and Agneta and her grandchildren on Monday. Weather has been iffy so hope it improves. Hugs,
Corinne


Hi Sarge! I know Lady Dar has replied but I just wanted to thank you for donating to my ride. Curious to know which method you used as with every other donor I have received an email informing me of same.

Just to clarify, there will be four other adults staying, probably from Friday through to Sunday. Not sure, at this point, if they are staying until Monday morning. I assume Jaxon will be along but he stayed with Nicole in guest bedroom and that worked well. Sorry to hear about his peanut allergy but he probably tested positive because he left one of his toys, a purple ball, here! Sorry, as well, to learn that Bert's surgery has been delayed.
The sooner the better from what I know about his condition. Anyway, please pass along our best wishes and thoughts to both him and Bella when talking. Fondestos to one and all from Lady Dar.  Cheers, Patrizzio!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment