Wednesday 27 July 2016

Front Street Brasserie Blues: Wednesday, July 27th!

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary. -Kathleen Norris, novelist and columnist (27 Jul 1880-1966) 


By the time everyone was up and had java and breakfast it was close to 9:00 am and we said goodbye to Joan and Paul, thanking them for the lovely visit: the terrific lunch at Tinhorn Creek on Friday, the wonderful day of wine-tasting yesterday and all the great good fun at dinner last night. Back inside to continue visiting with Julia, Ross and Janet. Around 11:00 am Julia and Ross packed up their belongings and we waved goodbye to them. Janet wanted to go for a long walk along the KVR so we showed her where to go and she set off to explore. I made myself brunch and was just about ready to suit up when Erika Kinn phoned. [She is a highschool classmate who owns a B&B in Summerland and had only arrived from Winnipeg a week ago.] By the time I'd had a lengthy chat with her, readied my camel pack and suited up it was about 1:40 pm. 

Hadn't really decided where I would go but once I was on Lakeshore the breeze was so refreshing off the lake that I decided I'd gerbalize myself and did just under 47 km on Riverside and the surrounding side-streets, enjoying people watching as there were loads of families and friends getting ready to go tubing on the Channel. Perfect day for it although some of the "pale faces" would probably be suffering at day's end unless they applied plenty of sun-screen. At any rate, it was a pleasant "stretch" ride and when I had enough distance to start making for home I did so. And then catastrophe struck! Just before the giant Peach, my rear tire started to wobble and I knew I had a flat! [Fortunately, for me, I was relatively close to home, or rather Freedom, as Lady Dar hadn't taken her phone with her so no emergency rescue services from that quarter!]

Hopped off my bike and walked about five blocks to Freedom, choosing the shady side of the streets as I made my way to the bike store. Nickolevitch greeted me and was able to change the tire right away so was in and out very quickly. Made it home by about 4:30 pm. Not bad as I had expected to be there just after 4:00 pm when flat occurred. Only had 47.44 km so didn't make my standard 51 km, basic minimum distance, but pleased that I had achieved an AVG of 21.7 kph when much of the ride was along busy streets, slow with cars and pedestrians. I'll have to drown my sorrows at the Front Street Brasserie where Janet is treating us to dinner this evening! Hip Hip Hooray!!! Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1275625589#.V5lTLjCFQOc.email

Back home to find The Sisterhood still away, swimming at the tiny beach at the east end of Naramata, so I watched the end of Stage 16 of the Tour while I had a mug of java and prepared the beets which Lynne had brought for, from their wonderful garden, when she came for dinner on Monday. By the time I was finished watching and the beets were done it was just past six so I hopped into  the shower so as to be finished when The Babes returned, knowing they'd both want to shower themselves. They were back by 6:30 pm, or so, having enjoyed a wonderful time at the lovely spot. Enjoyed a delish Poplar Grove Viognier before we strolled down the walkway along Penticton Creek to Front Street for our reservation at 7:30 pm. Decided to sit inside as it was still quite muggy outside and the patio was still a bit noisy with passing traffic. 

We were welcomed by the very friendly attentive staff, (Ainsley, our server, was actually a customer, at the next table, there when we had celebrated the 1st anniversary of living in Penticton this past May. Her summer work plans fell through in Victoria so she returned to work at FSB.), and sat down to have a sip of water while we decided what to order. Didn't take long and we started with the Charcuterie plate, a wonderful selection of salami, house mustard, pickles and crostini. Lisa Baxter-Burke and her husband John Burke, chef, are a wonderful couple and we wish them and their venture well. 

Lisa suggested a new Côtes du Rhône she had just stocked so we ordered a bottle to go with the scallops chosen by The Goils and the Potatoe Tarte I decided upon. Everything was divine, portions generous and tastes both subtle and superb. Even had room for the creamy cheesecake, topped with whipped cream and fresh blueberries and an apple crêpe which was gluten-free so Lady Dar ate more than her fair share of it! In fact, we shared all the dishes and we came away feeling nothing but perfectly satisfied. Janet very kindly treated us to this delectable meal so we thanked her muchly, and all the staff, as we left to walk home.

Lovely evening as we strolled along Penticton Creek and back to Burns. Chatted for an hour or so on the patio, The Goils having a glass of wine while I was happy to switch to a cool mug of water I'd squeezed some lemon and lime into. Janet started to yawn around 11:00 pm so we all readied ourselves for bed. We planned to go tubing on the Penticton Channel at 10:00 am next morning so everyone needed a good sleep as it had been a very busy last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment