Sunday 24 July 2016

Naramata's Partridge Boothe Barltett Debeck Blues: Sunday, July 24th!


Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire is that which he exercises over himself. -Elie Wiesel, writer, Nobel laureate (1928- ) 


Carol Riera We are on the road. We may not arrive in time for supper. I'll keep you posted! Can you give me your new address and phone number please.Patrick James Dunn Hi Chooch and Brunello! We live on Burns Street. I assume you will come in on 97 from Summerland and when you come over the small bridge into Penticton you will be on Eckhardt. Stay on it past Main and you'll see Pen Hi on your right. A few blocks later, turn left onto Burns and our house is second from the corner, of White, on the left, a new duplex beside ii. I gather you are towing a large trailer so you might want to continue on Eckhardt to Government and turn left at the lights there. Down Government but a bit to turn left on White and then it might be easier to park on Burns on our side of the street. You decide.

 


Any idea when you might hit town? I'm off for a ride shortly and assume I'll be back by 2:00 pm, if not sooner. Lady Dar is off to church at 11:00 am and will run a few errands afterwards so she should be home by 1:30 pm. I had assumed you might be here around 5:00 pm, +/-, but whenever you arrive we'll have dinner so don't worry about exact timing. Give us a shout or a message when you have an idea or better sense of travel times or are passing through Summerland. Have sent an email with exact address and phone numbers. Travel safely. Look forward to seeing everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio! Excellent were leaving revelstoke

Carol Riera Hi Pat, we are traveling in two cars, no trailer, because the house just sold. Right now we are close to Calgary, we'll give you an ETA as the day goes on but we think we should be there around 6-8 pm. Looking forward to seeing you guys! Thanks for everything Patrick James Dunn Just read Brunello's message from Revelstoke so I assume we'll expect you anytime after 7:00 pm, all going well. Travel safely. Cheers! Carol Riera Hi Paprika, it's 5:45 and we're just coming up to Armstrong Carol Riera Bruno estimates 7:40 arrival Patrick James Dunn That's too bad as all the food and wine will be gone by 7:30 pm! You can do the dishes however, so not all bad news! Carol Riera We expected as much! Bruno wants to know if you recorded the end of the Tour de France

Colleen Teahan Waldron How nice...glad you had a nice time ♡
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Only needed you and Big Al, Marilyn!


Hi Corinne & Pat, Plans are clarifying for our Monday arrival. We are going to meet some folks for lunch (probably Lake Breeze). We can pull up at your place mid to late afternoon as suits you - let us know. We don't have any other fixed plans for the rest of the visit. We will want to get a fairly early start home on the Wednesday. ‎Dinner plans tonight are at the Old Spaghetti Factory for a 6 year old's birthday party. Yikes! We may be a bit discombulated when we arrive at your place Cheers....P & J

Dear Birthday Party Goers! Thanks again for the great shower and wonderful, wonderful lunch! We had a lovely tasting at Intersection after we waved goodbye. Julia Spaulding just left for Kaslo. We "abandoned" her last night when we went to a fabulous dinner at Upper Bench with Lynne. Unfortunately, Julia could have joined us as a number of invitees didn't show! Anyway, she arrived close to 5:00 pm and we had a good visit until we left, just before 7:00 pm. While we were out she went for a ride on the KVR and then dinner by herself here. We were back by 10:00 pm so we cracked a bottle of 2012 Marichel Syrah/Viognier, 14.5% and continued to visit then.

Glad Monday's luncheon plans are coming together. We mentioned you might be in touch to Lynne. Is she joining you? You are welcome to come here whenever it suits. Not sure what you'll feel like after lunch but you might want to do a bit of tasting on your own since you'll be on The Bench anyway. Or, you can come here and we'd be happy to take you somewhere, depending on timing. We can chat about Tuesday on Monday evening and make some suggestions, based on what you feel you'd like to see, where you'd like to taste, etc.

I'm off for a ride shortly and Lady Dar just went to church. Our next set of visitors were in touch, just leaving, Calgary, so they probably won't be here until at least 6:00 pm, if not later, all going well. At least we'll have time to change sheets! Enjoy the Old Spaghetti Factory. THE place to go, in Winnipeg, in the 'early '60's! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat & Corinne - Lynne is not part of the Monday lunch group as far as I know. It would be good to see her and Peter at some point if the opportunity presents itself. We probably won't be up for wine touring the latter half of Monday afternoon but absolutely during the day on Tuesday. Cheers, Paul & Joan
Paul
, Lynne is joining us for supper on Monday! Corinne


Bit of a sleep-in until 7:30 am as we had a simply wonderful time at Upper Bench the night before, at their thank-you dinner party for wine club members. Up to have breakfast of poached eggs, courteys of Lady Dar, with Julia, last night's guest. Saw her off to Kaslo around 9:30 am as she was meeting Ross, her husband, there. He has been hiking with friends in the area. They will stop on the way back to spend Tuesday night with us. By the time I'd sent a few messages, tidied up kitchen, filled my camel-pack and water bottle it was close to 11:00 am. Had thought that I'd ride to Summerland but once I was on the road I decided I'd make for Naramata as I'd not been that way for quite a few weeks. 

Started off with my standard loop of PTC, Lakeshore and Riverside before heading up Vancouver. One of the other reasons I'd selected Naramata as my destination was the fact that the wind seemed to be out of the north when I set off and I prefer to fight it on outward bound leg than on way home. However, once on Naramata Road itself, it seemed like more of a cross wind out of the west so I made reasonable progress all the way to Robinson, the main street of the village. Kept going, past the Lighthall's place, en route to Chute Lake. Only went as far as first cattle guard before turning around to make my way back home. Vistas still take my breath away even though I'm quite familiar with them by now. Took a left onto Partridge Road to take me to Boothe and I swooshed down into Naramata itself. Lots of people on the various small beaches I rode past and then I went back up Robinson as far as Bartlett Road where I made a right turn to start the real climb back to Naramata Road. 

Jack Rabbit had introduced me to this route a month or more ago and I wanted to retrace it. Bartlett flattens out after a short climb and takes one, rather pleasantly, to Lower Debeck Road where a decent series of climbs awaits as you make your way back to Naramata Road, joining it by the Naramata Volunteer Fire Department Station.  Once there it became quite obvious that the wind was now blowing more strongly out of the south so my theory of having it behind me, helping me along, came to nowt! Not sure of the exact speed. Garmin registered 5 kph but AccuWeather gave 20 kph S at 3:00 pm. I was home by around 2:30 pm and I felt it was blowing more than 5 kph but probably less than 20 kph, perhaps around 15 kph. 

At any rate, by the time I was back on Upper Bench I needed a few more km on the clock for the distance I wanted so I did a quick dipsy-doodle, looping around Farell, Westminster and Middle Bench to rejoin Johnson for the descent down to Government. Once on White I zipped down to Van Horne before turning around to pull into our back lane. Not a particularly good AVG, only 19.6 kph, but certainly enjoyed stretching my legs after a day's rest following four in a row.
Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1271104675#.V5U7v4cfSnE.email


Hi again, Paolo! As you know, from Lady Dar's message, Lynne will join us for dinner tomorrow evening. Jugos Dom Pedro is in Kazakhstan for next two weeks so we'll have to Skype him! I thought that you would probably want to relax after lunch but in case not thought I'd suggest wine-tasting. At any rate, you can come back here and have a nap and/or take a stroll to The Book Shop!

Just back from a very pleasant ride to Naramata, past Lighthall's place, en route to Chute Lake. Only went as far as first cattle guard before turning around to make my way back home. Vistas still take my breath away even though I'm quite familiar with them by now. In the meantime, you might want to think about where you'd like to taste, back on the The Bench, or perhaps south towards OK Falls. Of course we can discuss this tomorrow and suggest places you might not know about. See you, at some point, domani. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Patrick, Firstly I want to say thank you very much for having us stay at your place. I'm writing as i realize that i did not mention that we were intending on bringing porter, and I have to stress my sincerest apologies that I didn't mention this. Being a scruff bag owner, I totally forgot to ask if it was ok, which is a big faux pas on our part. He is super well behaved, spent the time on his bed we brought and did nothing worse than anyone of us would do... But I do apologize that I didn't mention it, it totally slipped my mind. I had been on a 25 day straight work run and was not in a good place or functioning smoothly...

Chloe mentioned stray poo bags, that is not something we would do as dog owners and also as friends. There were a bunch of different people doing some landscaping and in and out with trucks and dogs over the couple of days and a whole bunch of dog walkers around that time, but I didn't see anyone doing that. Anyway, just wanted to say we feel terrible that we have upset you and neglected to ask about Porter :( I'm very sorry ... Thanks again for the warmest offer & for having all of us, Mark & krissy




 

No comments:

Post a Comment