Monday 18 July 2016

Lady Dar's 69th Birthday Blues: Tuesday, July 19th!

I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, "Mother, what was war?" -Eve Merriam, poet and writer (19 Jul 1916-1992) 

Carpetbag Photo: Wikimedia
Darling Lady Dar! Happiest of Happy Birthdays to you on this your 69th! You remain the one true love of my life and I wouldn't be able to find my way, across the globe or across the street without you beside me! Warm, warm love,still head over heels in love with you, after all these years! Patrizzio!

Happy Birthday, Mom, from Folk Fest!
Congratulations dear rosy cheeks Lady Dar, kisses from Aartissimo Hi Patrick and Corinne,  We wish Corinne a Very Happy Birthday and look forward
to seeing and hearing about your summer on the September long weekend. Al and Colleen can't make it due to the arrival of their new puppy. If you also can't make it, please let us know and we can schedule a different weekend. Otherwise, enjoy the rest of your summer and we'll see you then. Ruth
Hello Patrick and Corinne! Have a wonderful time at Spirit Ridge! A very Happy Birthday to you Corinne! We will be thinking of you both tonight.... Pam

I was up at 6:30 am to have a much needed mug of java and then I started watching Stage 13 of the Tour as I digitated. Did this for about an hour and then I started my breakfast: fried green onions and slices of baked potatoe, smothered in the last of the fresh green peas that Olga Polga had given to us last bridge evening here. While my heavenly concoction was simmering away, I packed most of my bag as I needed to have everything ready for Lady Dar who was driving to Osoyoos. I was cycling there and had arranged to meet Sarge somewhere along Black Sage Road.  

After packing my toiletries and my computer, peripherals and all, in a knapsack, I put them in the car, along with my pillow and a few rags for my chain, should I need to re-oil if there happened to be showers. Some were predicted, for Penticton, Oliver and Osoyoos. Anyway, I called Sarge at just after 10:00 am when I was ready to walk out the door. He was golfing that morning but only 9 holes so he planned to head out to Black Sage around 11:45 m and meet me somewhere between Road 22 or further north on Black Sage. At any rate, I was soon on Government, having to dodge some of the re-surfacing activity that was going on between Eckhardt and Carmi. Managed to dipsy-doodle my way around all the grumpy flag-people and was soon tearing down South Main. Wind seemed to be out of the west so more of a cross-breeze on Eastside and I was in OK Falls in about 45 minutes. 

Same wind conditions helped spur me along to Gallagher Lake and when I turned onto Tuc-el-Nuit it was really pushing me along until I reached the climb up past Quinta Ferreira. Once I'd made the flats beyond the wind was back in my face so I had to do a bit of work as I was now heading almost due south. Still, it was a glorious day and since I felt I was making terrific time, in spite of fighting the reasonably strong gusts, I took delight in the lovely scenery here, the expanses of vineyards and the magnificent hills on all sides, noting the wineries I hoped we'd have a chance to taste at over the next day or so.

Not far beyond Burowing Owl, (Not one of the wineries I wanted to visit as, in me 'umble opinion, I find the place overly pretentious and too, too pricey for what they offer!), there is a cattle guard and just as I was approaching it I spied Sarge coming towards me. He had already crossed it by the time we were in talking distance so he turned around and we made our way to Road 22, catching up all the way to Osoyoos. Had not seen him since our wedding anniversary in May so we had much to chat about. Sarge did a bit of drafting as wind was still blowing fairly well and he has not ridden at all in the last year. Pulled into Spirit Ridge at shortly after 1:00 pm and Lady Dar didn't arrive until about 3:00 pm. She had picked up latest wine release, for both us and Sutherlands, at Poplar Grove, as well as doing other assorted shopping errands. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1263687116#.V46n15zMrkA.email
 
When she arrived at the door with a fully loaded dolly I helped her bring everything into the apartmento. Turned out that she didn't bring my sports bag filled with the clothes I was planning to wear over the course of the stay! I assumed she saw it beside our bed and she assumed I had loaded everything I was taking into the car before I took off. Fortunately my toiletries were in the knapsack I had placed int eh car so was fine on that front. Sarge came to the rescue for rest as he provided me with shorts and two shirts. Think I'll travel like this from now on. No need to do laundry when back home!

Even washed my cycling shorts in the pool as we went swimming before dinner and I used them as my trunks. The hot tub felt great on my legs and I even did some back stretches in the steam-room although it was not quite as hot as I'd have liked it to be. Still, a great way to recover from a great ride. Dinner was a delicious salmon, orzo and fresh green beans, with pesto, followed by an ice-cream birthday cake for Lady Dar, out on the balcony. We sang Happy Birthday, For She's a Jolly Good Fellow, Hip Hip Hooray and she was officially sixty-nine

Flamin' and Sarge were not in the condo they owned, for the course of their stay, but rather a three-bedroom apartment so we had our own room and an en-suite. Very, very comfortable indeed. However, I think Lady Dar had a bit too, too much to drink, celebrating her birthday, as I had to turn out her bedside light. Furthermore, she became quite obstreperous when, knowing the state she was in, I insisted that she should brush her teeth before she feel asleep in her clothes. Hard, if not impossible, to reason with a Love/Durston under such circumstances so I gave up and let her drift off, fully clothed and un-flossed! Still, if you can't tie one on your birthday, when can you? Sweet Dreams Lady Dar, my Darling!

Glad it all went well for you. I was delighted to contribute to the cause. Loving your commentary about the rides you take - makes me want to get out on my bike a little more. -A. 

Hi Pam, Thank you for the invitation, but I will be gone for a couple of weeks, so again I will miss the game, and a few hikes as well, but please keep me posted.
Patrick thanks again for entertaining blogs, looking forward to receiving more.
Cheers everyone. Mike
LinkedIn?I just signed on for the first time and sent out requests to everyone who was on. Not sure what I do with it.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment