Friday 1 July 2016

Fairview Mountain Willowbrook Blues: Canada Day, Friday, July 1st!


The American who first discovered Columbus made a bad discovery. -Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, scientist and philosopher (1 Jul 1742-1799) 

David Kessler to Patrick James Dunn Happy Canada Day!!!! Thinking of all my friends in the land of the (relatively) sane and happy! Cheers, lifting his coffee mug to start things off right!!!
Patrick James Dunn Thanks Cactus! However, I think you really meant to say "to start things off left," as I suspect you are not a Trump supporter! We plan to festoon each spike with tiny Canadian flags as soon as Lady Dar rises from her slumber to oversee decorating! 
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Happy Canada Day Parksville! Our Canada Day cherry tomatoes!
David Kessler In fact, the New York Times had, today, a huge article about the Canadian grassroots welcome to Syrian refugees. It was extremely moving even in pointing out that it was not a necessarily smooth process all the time. You guys looked awesome on Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day, Zircon! We'll raise a Canada Day toast to you, in absentia! 
Not sure if you have discovered it yet but I left my electric toothbrush in the guest bedroom! You can use it, instead of the floor mop, with all your guests, until you drive out later this summer! Have already told Naramata Peter that you will be around and would like to play some bridge. Furthermore, I have already taken your criticism about credit cards to heart. My Visa card must have fallen out of my pocket at the Fas Gas in Frank Slide and I will dutifully cut it into little pieces when it arrives! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you. Thanks again for wonderful, wonderful stays. Look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!


It was so nice to have you visit. Love the pics. This weekend's guest is from Townsville AU. We are just off to Canada Day at Kin Coulee Park. Enjoy your day, Lots of love to you both. 

Hey Patrizio! You would have to be on the one of 8 lists of names where I made my first mistake on bcc lists in 18 years! Anyways, not to make excuses but it was late at night (for me) and I was too far into the vino, so lesson learned. On the positive side, just think of all the additional emails you may get now from all our close and exciting friends. Thanks for sharing your experience of misplaced Visa card. Good to know you also make the occasional mistake.

BTW, If you are able to make it in on Sat, the 16th, we’re having the Halpern clan that over that evening at our newly refurbished patio for a summer bbq. We’d love and Corinne you to also come. If not, maybe the 18th or 19th at our place for nibblies, bridge and of course WINE. Let us know if any of this works and will send more details. Thanks for the photos as always, however with all the floral pictures you send where are the mary j plants that I know you grow somewhere on the back 40. Carlos (aka Champagne Charlie)

Was up at 7:30 am as I expected it was going to be even warmer than yesterday and I wanted to be on the road around 10:00 am to try to beat some of the higher temperatures. At any rate, I was ready to go by about 10:30 am. It was quite overcast when I set out so I really needn't have worried about the temperature. Was planning to ride another section of the GF route so decided I'd start out with Vancouver hill. When I reached the round-about there, the road was closed for Canada Day celebrations. I gather there is a huge water slide running most of the length of the street. Nothing to do but head back to Government so that is what I did. Wind was out of the north at 9 kph at 11:00 am, moving up to 15 kph NW by noon so I was whistling along Eastside. In fact, I clocked 26 kph by the time I took McLean Creek Road so I was pleased about that.
Dropped to 23 kph by the time I reached the valley floor but was soon back up to between 24 kph - 25 kph when I was out of OK Falls, on 97, making for Oliver. Took Tuc-el-Nuit Drive and followed it to Black Sage Road, riding a couple of kilometres past Quinta Ferreira, as I wanted to climb the hill there. Turned around then and heade dinto Oliver itself, crossing Main Street/Hwy 97 on Fairview Road as I wanted to climb Fairview Mountain, the last, longest, steepest climb of the event. Followed Sumac Street to Old Golf Course Road and once on the latter, the long haul started. First past the golf course, next Fairview Cellars, and then the hardest part of the climb before one reaches Fairview again. Short bit and then a left turn onto Willowbrook Road and the climbs from here on are quite manageable, although now the wind became a significant factor!
According to AccuWeather the head wind was blasting at 22 kph N so I was riding straight into it until I reached Willowbrook itself. Bit of protection as I circled this tiny community but it was back in full force as I swooped past See Ya Later and was simply ferocious all the way to OK Falls. Through the town and back on to Eastside, pleasantly surprised to find that the road surface had been repaved, quite recently, so this helped in my on-going battle with Aeolus. Going was not too, too bad until I was past turn-off to Blasted Church and then Eastside is completely exposed. 
Wind was whipping small whitecaps on Skaha and I couldn't tell if I was being hit by spray from the lake or raindrops, the wind was so strong and implacable. Probably both as the dark, angry clouds were spitting, intermittent rain slanting sideways, driven by the unbelievable gusts Nothing to do but gear down, put my head down and plug away. Could barely do better than 11 kph until I reached the outskirts of Penticton. However, once on South Main my AVG was 21 kph so I was hoping I'd be able to maintain this speed all the way home. Not to be as the AVG dropped to 20.8 kph on the climb up Dawson and try as I might, I couldn't push hard enough against the wind, now blasting me at 20 kph NE, to give me what I had hoped for. Nevertheless, I was delighted with this outing as I needed to reacquaint myself with the Fairview Mountian section. Map and Stats for ride, GranFondo Training, Day 2:
Margareta Maunsbach Today we said Google to Aage, my mother's partner and also husband since 1982. He died quietly on June 23. We had a lovely ceremony in the Churchill and later at t mom' s place. I attach a few photos from your ( P and C) visit here 1997, before we net again in Toscany. 
Last picture just because I like it. Copenhagen.We said goodbye, sorry, not Google, ironically Aage never made it to the internet!! Sorry, Patrick was omitted from the group. Should be in now. Churchill = church of course

Corinne Durston Hi Maggie, how are you? We are home from Manitoba celebrating Canada Day! Love
 Margareta Maunsbach Hi Corinne. We are fine. I am having early holidays, was off last Friday and two more weeks . We leave for Sweden this weekend, and later boys go to Paris to meet their dad who us going on a charity biking trip on a huge team on bike from Aarhus to Paris. Otherwise the boys are challenging, as her have to, spending long night out, with company of beer and cigarettes ( Johan is the suspect). Fortunately, they don' t mind helping their grandparents. We had a nice funeral today.
 

Corinne Durston Whose funeral? Sorry to hear that the boys are acting out. But as you know not unusual for their age. Hopefully it will be over soon, they may get bored with it. Patrick in training for big bike race next weekend. Going to wine tasting this am and then the Saturday market. Wish you were here!

Margareta Maunsbach Must come back soon! The deceased was Aage, my mom's husband. I put pictures in front of this thread. Was weak for years, dementia and parkinson's disease. They got more than 20 yrs. together.



Hey Patrizio! You would have to be on the one of 8 lists of names where I made my first mistake on bcc lists in 18 years! Anyways, not to make excuses but it was late at night (for me) and I was too far into the vino, so lesson learned. On the positive side, just think of all the additional emails you may get now from all our close and exciting friends.
Thanks for sharing your experience of misplaced Visa card. Good to know you also make the occasional mistake.


BTW, If you are able to make it in on Sat, the 16th, we’re having the Halpern clan that over that evening at our newly refurbished patio for a summer bbq. We’d love and Corinne you to also come. If not, maybe the 18th or 19th at our place for nibblies, bridge and of course WINE. Let us know if any of this works and will send more details.



Thanks for the photos as always, however with all the floral pictures you send where are the mary j plants that I know you grow somewhere on the back 40.

Carlos (aka Champagne Charlie) 

Hi Carlos the Jackal! Trust you are well! Thanks so much for the lovely invitations but unfortunately our dance card is simply too, too full! Saturday we are at the Folk Fest and we are heading back to Penticton on Monday.  Away next day to Spirit Ridge, to stay with Flamin'/Sarge, where we will celebrate Lady Dar's 69th on the 19th. We are planning to wend our way home on the 21st, perhaps the 22nd, depending on how we feel. Funnily enough, we are having lunch at Tinhorn Creek on the 22nd with Joan and Paul Whitney who are staying there for a few days. They will stay with us on Monday the 25th/Tuesday 26th, after spending the weekend in Kelowna.No wonder I call our place the Burns Street Hot Sheets Hotel and Gin Joint! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and O Susannah! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment