Sunday 3 July 2016

Peach Orchard Jaxon Blues: Sunday, July 3rd!

Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence. -Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948) 


Hi folks, G&G are both fast asleep with the tv on and it's only 5:50!! Love you!!
Just waiting for Nadia, Nicole and Jaxon to arrive. Don't go crazy at Falcon with those sleepers! Hugs Mom
 
Hi Commitment People! Trust you are safely back in home harbour now. Your voyage sounded lovely and quite romantic! Glad you are relaxing for a change my Darling Jean. Celebraion for your Mom sounds absolutely terrific so congratulations on all the effort. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Admiral John. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Up at 7:30 am as I planned to do the first complete, major leg of the GranFondo route this morning. Wind was already whistling out of the NNE at 13 kph, going to 17 kph - 18 kph between 9:00 am - 10:00 am so I knew I'd certainly have my work cut out for me on jaunt to Summerland and then back from OK Falls on last leg of the ride. By the time I'd eaten my yogurt with fresh raspberries, courtesy of Naramata Lynne, from their own canes, suited and lubed up, it was about 10:45 am. First stop Vancouver Ave hill and then Upper Bench Road, swooping back down to Lakeshore Dr/Riverside Dr before hitting 97. Dipsy-doodled into Red Wing East before hitting the rest of the small parks en route to Summerland. 

Wind was pretty stiff, 18 kph, any time I was heading due north but I buckled down and once I'd reached trout Creek I enjoyed a bit of respite as the homes and streets there provided a bit of shelter. Back into the gale force winds once I was on the bike path which parallels 97 and then a tad more shelter on Lakeshore Dr S, most of the way to Crescent Beach. Looped back there and then it was Peach Orchard to climb. Didn't find it too, too daunting and had a reward close to the top as I spied Jos and Arturo, along with Bodil, their daughter, and her fiancée, walking downhill on the sidewalk across the road. Greeted them but since I cannot touch the Dreaded Burning Ground with my feet, Dear Reader, I was unable to stop, even for a brief visit. 

Waved goodbye and by the time I was at the first roundabout in Summerland I had about 40 km on the clock. Now the wind was more or less behind me so I zipped along and soon was hurtling down Hillborn, Happy Valley and Gartrell Raod to put me back on 97. Short dipsy-doodle into Red Wing West before taking Riverside/Lakeshore back to Ellis. Then onto Government and I was OK Falls bound. Wind along Eastside was whipping small whitecaps on Skaha and it was a fierce cross-wind out of the west so not as much of a push from it as I could have wnated. Nevertheless I think I hit 22 kph by the time I took McClean Creek Road and kept if above 21 kph by the time I'd climbed the last big hill.

Once I'd dropped into OK Falls took a run down to 7th Avenue as this is the GF route. Then looped back to Maple Street to take it all the way to Oliver Ranch Road. Just down from Liquidity I veered off to loop back so the "official" GF section was now over and all I had to do was make it home against the horrendous wind, still blasting at 18 kph out of the WNW. Fortunately, didn't really feel its full effect until I was past turn-off to Blasted Church and then Eastside is completely exposed so I had to gear down just to make the slightest headway. Hard to describe how infuriating it is when one is tired and close to the end of one's frayed tether! Felt like Lear raging on the heath: "Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow! You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout!"

Nevertheless, I soldiered on and found a bit of relief on South Main when a couple on mountain bikes passed me. This, of course, did little for my self- esteem and when the woman slowed down on the grade up towards Dawson, I managed to catch her and drafted quite nicely until she turned off. With the wind roaring out of the west the climb up Dawson was a piece of cake and I was soon back on Government. Was hoping that I'd be able to push my AVG up to 21 kph but couldn't manage to do so, the wind completely uncooperative and maddeningly unrelenting. Still, I was more than pleased with the outing, having stitched together the first 60 km of the GF route and tackling three of the most significant climbs before Fairview Mountain. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1240350516#.V3mvphZgay0.email

Tuesday bike in Willowbrook area? Just a suggestion and hope Helmi can join us as she is back. Meet at Home Hardware 8.30? Anyone interested? Gill Patrick please forward to Bill - have you got his email??

Hi Guillermo and Jack Rabbit! Trust you are well. JR doesn't have your email and asked me to forward this message to you. I'm in the midst of preparing for the GranFondo this coming Sunday so I won't be joining any of the hikes and rides until after the event. Looking forward to being back in the swing of things since having been away. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick, Alastair Bird just made a donation in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal! 

Hi Patrick, Well done you, not sure how to send money however let me know the process so we can contribute $50 Aus to this worthwhile cause. We are not real fans of face book i.e. don't know anything about it, so however the pledge thing works as long as it does not involve sending any personal info over the interweb is fine. Cheers Greg and Claire 

Hello to our Favourite Brisbanites! Trust you are both well! Just wanted to thank you for your more than generous donation! Certainly much appreciated so thanks so much!!! My personal GFA page:

https://slf.akaraisin.com/pledge/Participant/Home.aspx?seid=11694&mid=9&pid=2756658

is administered by the Stephen Lewis Foundation so it is as secure as one can find on, as you put it, Grogg, the "interweb". You will have to enter credit card information so if that is not something you are prepared to do you could send me a cheque or a money order to our home address made out to Grandmothers for Africa and I will see it reaches the local chapter, the one I'm raising money for. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Thanks again for your generous spirit. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Young Patrick, Please nssend me your Facebook page. I was just thinking about you yesterday. I haven't heard from you in quite a while.. My facebook page is under Bill Dempster with email address dempster@nbnet.nb.ca.. Having a great summer.. except that I listed my home, and as a hoarder, it is a very big job to clear it out. Market is slow here , so it might be a long time before i actually move.. will see... Hope all is well with you and yours... Cheers... Bill 

Hi Wild Bill! Trust you are well except for de-cluttering! Buona Fortuna with the sale of your house! Sorry I'd not been in touch sooner but busy time here.

Thank you for your wanting to make a donation! Certainly much appreciated so thanks very much!!! Buona Fortuna with move and thanks again for support. Fondestos from Lady Dar! All the best, Wild Bill. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Pat, Having been plugging away on those prairie prowls. Got a message from you a few hours ago. My flash has become toast. Can you tell what the content might be please? Best Wishes, bob 

Hi Flashless Lad! Trust you are well after weathering Prairie weather! Nicole Sutherland, (Flamin's/Sarge's youngest), and her son Jaxon, 11 months, arrived on Sunday, along with Nadia, our former Swiss boarder, 2010, en route to Australia. They are here until noon today and then more friends, Big Al and Coleen, hit town on Friday as part of my GF support team! The invitation had to do with my fund raising effort for Grandmothers for Africa and this probably caused your flash drive to explode! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Ellie. Cheers, Patrizzio!





No comments:

Post a Comment