Wednesday 20 July 2016

Anarchist Mountain Brutal Climb Blues: Wednesday, July 20th!

The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace. -Carlos Santana, musician (b. 20 Jul 1947) 

Up at around 8:00 am when I heard Jaxonator's first morning shrieks! Happy shrieks, however, as he is the jolliest of jolly, almost year old, incredibly coordinated, soon to be walking, pre-toddlers. Sarge, Giuseppe and Heather were golfing at Nk'Mip Canyon Desert in Oliver so I decided I'd cycle, or at least attempt, Anarchist Mountain, something I've wanted to do ever since I've become familiar with this area. Had a great mug of java, a cinnamon scone and an overleft sausage and I was fueled for the road. As soon as I was suited and lubed, I took off, leaving Spirit Ridge at 9:40 pm. 

Easy ride down to the highway, 2 km, basically downhill and on the flat, and I was at the base of the longest climb I have ever entertained. [Looking ahead, basically 15 km up!] Had paid reasonably close attention to the grade when we drove to Winnipeg, last June, so I had a reasonable idea of what awaited. Obviously, riding is much different than driving, but still it helped to know a bit about the route. As it turned out, the grade isn't all that steep, at least not punishingly so, but the uphill grade is unrelenting. First brief break occurs roughly 6 km from start where there is a small look-out where I was able to stand up and stretch my legs, quickly, three times before it was more climbing!

The next 6 km were, perhaps, marginally, not quite as steep as the preceding 6 km so climb was slightly easier, in comparison, from this point on. With the twists and turns in the road, some of the ride passed through shade, although the temperature was not blistering so heat was not really an issue. At roughly 15 km from the base there is a flat stretch of approximately 1/2 km where I was able to shift into top gear and really stretch my legs. Then the climb starts again and it was back down to the lowest gear available for another 3 km or so and then the terrain finally leveled off and, basically, I was home free!

A number of housing developments hereabouts, with quite attractive animal sculptures at the entrance-ways to the side roads leading to them, so I snapped away, on the run, to provide evidence that I actually managed to scale Anarchist and survive! Bit of a small roller-coaster for the next 6 km as I wanted to log at least 51 km for the ride. By the time I had 27 km on the clock I found a small side road that would allow me to turn around and see both lanes of the highway so that I could cross safely. Wind was in my face on the return leg but was not blowing so strongly that it was much of an issue. Did a bit of a longer dipys-doodle into one of the last estates before the real descent began, again, to up the distance.

I had an AVG of around 9 kph by the time I'd climbed Anarchist and registered about 12 kph when I turned around. Had an AVG of just over 13 kph as I started the descent. What an exhilarating, if not nerve-wracking, swoosh to the bottom, let me tell you, Dear Reader! I'm not a skier but for those of you who are, can you imagine floating over powder for 15 km? Traffic was pretty light and no large trucks passed me. This is an issue, of sorts, as there is only a single lane on the downhill and some of the shoulder sections are very, very, narrow or non-existent, so I was pleased that I didn't have to share the road with a huge oil-tanker or a monstrous semi loaded with lumber, both of which, and more, had passed me on uphill, much safer, in terms of road space, two-lane climb. Even so, I am always amazed at how many drivers stay in the right lane, almost grazing me, when there is ample room to move a lane over!

With the wind in my face I didn't need to use my brakes, except on some tight hairpins, and was probably descending at between 40 kph - 45 kph for most of the drop into Osoyoos. It goes without saying that the vistas were spectacular, the lake and the vineyards and the backdrop hills/mountains, but I didn't want to risk the slightest misstep when trying to capture a shot of the glorious series of views that presented themselves. It was work enough, believe me, Dear Reader, to concentrate on the road surface ahead, hurtling along as I was, worried that loose gravel or other debris might rear their ugly, potentially dangerous heads, given the speeds I was travelling at and the narrow roadway shoulder space I was inhabiting.  

Safely back on level ground, I made the right turn at the Petro-Can station on 45th Street with about 57 km on the clock. I knew it was roughly 2 km to Spirit Ridge, from there, so I needed to do a few dipsy-doodles before heading home. Did the stretch on the flat, before one begins the short climb to the resort and, pleased as punch, as I pulled up in front of Sagebrush, the name of the complex where we are staying shortly after 1:00 pm. What a ride! Couldn't have been happier even thought the the AVG was on slightly above 16 kph. Who cares! I bested Anarchist and lived to tell the tale. Just hope my legs are strong enough to take me over Richter Pass tomorrow when I plan to ride back to Penticton via Keremeos!!! Hip Hip Hooray! Map and Stats for ride:


Back to shower and change and when Sarge was back from golfing the four of us, (Flamin', Lady Dar, and I), headed out to do a spot of wine-tasting. I was determined to hit Black Sage Road as I dearly wanted to taste at Quinta Ferreira, Montakarn and Stone Boat. Hadn't been to QF since we first tasted there in 2008, not been to Montakaran, ever, and to SB, with Lady Dar, in the 2007, or thereabouts. Must say I, along with Flamin' and the rest, were quite disappointed in QF's offerings, particularly their whites, other than their Malbec, (wonderful but pricey at $35), and their Syrah. Bought a case, $20/btl, to split with F/S, as terrific value for everyday, tooth-brushing wine.

On to Montakarn and were simply delighted to meet George Gary Misson, owner and winemaker. He makes some terrific wine at terrifically reasonable prices. Had a wonderful tasting and came away with a case. His reds were only about $23 but exciting. Same for the whites and the rosé so a wonderful find. I cannot recommend this winery enough. A must visit if ever in the vicinity. The view from their balcony is more than stunning so have a picnic there. Then on to Stone Boat and it was a wonderful treat to be back there again. The winery has just gone through re-branding themselves but their attention to the wines has not changed. The Pinotage offerings, the Reserve, in particular, were spectacular and so my faith in them was confirmed. Half a case later we were on our way home. I wanted to hit Bartier Brothers but the light-weights I was with couldn't even begin to entertain another tasting so we made for Spirit Ridge to make preparations for supper! Life is tough in a fractional-condo!

Hi Pat.  Looking forward to seeing you and Corinne Friday.  We have had a great week here in Naramata.  Very unusual weather but not dampened our spirits!  We would be happy to buy meat for Friday nights dinner.  We have checked out T-Bones.  What a great place!  Thinking we would get a selection of chicken, lamb and beef kabobs.  What do you think?  - there will be five of us? - Denise
 
Hello Pseudo-Naramatians! Delighted to learn that you have had a wonderful time in spite of the variable weather. Kebabs sound absolutely fabuloso. Yes, there will be five of us. Julia Spaulding, a former VPL colleague of Lady Dar's, will be staying overnight as well. We'll supply vegetables and salad fixin's so I think we'll be more than fine. I'm planning to ride back to Penticton, via Keremeos, domani, while Lady Dar will stay until Friday, meeting me at Tinhorn Creek, for lunch, with Joan and Paul, (former VPL City Librarian), Whitney. I will ride from home so have to arrange to have a shower at their room there, before lunch! Had a wonderful ride this morning. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Look forward to seeing you, any time after 4:00 pm on Friday. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Next Monday Kilian is going to lead us on a hike to Apex Mtn. The flowers should be in full glory! So we will be departing Home Hardware in Penticton at 9am and Summerlanders can carpool at the IGA parking lot at 8:40. This hike will likely take longer than 3 hours so plan accordingly. Pam Hope bridge was fun. Thanks for the birthday greetings. See you soon Corinne

Great shots! And an excellent telling of the Anarchist climb. I am always amazed at that hill. I’m glad you made it back unscathed, as it can be a rather tight squeeze. I’m also surprised you didn’t mention one of the sculptures up there in the housing developments (which have been there for years - right before 2008 they were planning on selling them all but they had to put in services, first. I don’t think there are many sold lots up there) at any rate, one of the sculptures is bigfoot, who regularly is wearing a santa hat, has a case of Kokanee under his arm or is in some state of alteration from his original spec. 

Glad you liked the promo - I have had quite a bit of positive feedback about it. And the cover is on the road as you enter Christina Lake. It’s a spot we have passed through many times. Enjoy the balance of the summer, and I hope your hip goes smoothly. Hard to believe it was 6 years ago when you had the last one done. -A.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment