Friday 30 September 2016

Day 16, Post-Op Early Bird Blues: Friday, September 30th!

Racism tends to attract attention when it's flagrant and filled with invective. But like all bigotry, the most potent component of racism is frame-flipping -- positioning the bigot as the actual victim. So the gay do not simply want to marry; they want to convert our children into sin. The Jews do not merely want to be left in peace; they actually are plotting world take-over. And the blacks are not actually victims of American power, but beneficiaries of the war against hard-working whites. This is a respectable, more sensible bigotry, one that does not seek to name-call, preferring instead change the subject and straw man. -Ta-Nehisi Coates, writer and journalist (b. 30 Sep 1975) 


More pics of Alex and Sam's shoot Before we know it, July will be here xoxo Hi Tinsel Town! Fabulous snaps, indeed! However, Etta and Duke are concerned about number of pics that are being sent and posted!

Annemarie Bartlome
Dear Corinne, dear Patrick, We have plan..to visit you next september....but we doen't know...how your plans are????? Greatings Cheers Annamaria T...and Rudi R
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James DunnHello Anna Maria Tremonti and Rudi Rudenheimer! You must have been talking to Nadienka! [Bench 1715 where we had a picnic with Nicolina and Jaxon!] Of course, we are more than delighted to learn of your proposed visit next September. We will be at a wedding in late August so we will certainly be here, waiting for you to arrive and stay with us for as long as your time allows. Fondestos to you both. Cheers! 
Up at 7:15 am, first time, really, since I've been home. Immediately walked to garage as I knew kittens would follow. Wanted to make sure that Dope Duke would use the litter box as he had an "accident" last week. Etta is much better about her "toilette" but Duke seems to forget, especially first thing in the morning when he's already started racing around, chasing his crumpled paper "soccer balls!" Must away as I'm going to have a spot of breakfast. Cheers, "More Mobile, if not Richer", Bionic Patrizzio!

Hello Stompin'! Congratulations, of course, on your Magnum Opus! It goes without saying, that you deserve immeasurable, heartfelt thanks for your unbelievable dedication, time and energy. Hip Hip Hooray! For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, indeed! Scrolling through the online version I was transported back in time and almost wished I wasn't retired! Many, many thanks for capturing the life and times of this remarkable institution and its staff!
 

Trust you are well. We are still enjoying life in Penticton. Busy summer with plenty of visitors. Then on September 14th, at UBC, I had my left hip replaced.
Not sure how long we will be in Vancouver, in early November, but perhaps we can arrange to meet up with Big Al, over the course of our visit, if everyone's busy schedules allow. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar, (Her lastest nickname since we travelled in India last year with Lynne and Peter Lighthall.), to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Miss Etta. She's not quite as rambunctious as Devil Cat Duke!


Hi Pat,  Thanks for the kind words. I've had some other positive reviews which is gratifying. I'm uncertain if one can actually search by key-word yet. Could you do me a favour? On your computer (not iPad, which I am using) could you go into the text, click on the little looking glass at the bottom right of the screen, type in Stackettes, hit Enter and see if any page numbers come up, which you could click onto to access info about that sensationally popular headline act. Let me know if it works, okay? If so, I can alert others to employ this search strategy.

Sorry to hear about your hip issues, but glad the surgery was successful and that you are becoming anxious to revisit your very active life. Yes, getting together with Al would be fun. Let's try to work something out. Regards to your Lady. Stompin Hi Sherlock! Yes, the search works very nicely so a terrific feature! Unfortunately, you'll now have to publish usage stats on most popular searches! Taxes and library stats indeed! I'll let you both know our travel plans as soon as we decide when we'll hit town in November. Cheers, Watson!  

Hi All, It is clear that one major drawback in navigating this voluminous production is the lack of an index. However, Pat Dunn reports that the key-word search strategy I referred to in my earlier dispatch worked when he followed a procedure I suggested. Give it a try.
 

On your computer (not iPad, which I am currently using myself) go into the text, then click on the little magnifying glass which appears at the bottom of the screen. When a blank bubble pops up, key in what you are looking for - perhaps a person's name (eg. Rothstein) - then hit the Enter button on your keyboard. Using that sample, two page numbers appear, accessing where items involving Sam turn up. Employing this procedure, after you've explored each item which are cited in your own research, hitting the Backspace button will remove it and eventually - by re-clicking on the text itself - the bubble disappears. I hope this will help somewhat. If you have other suggestions I'd appreciate receiving them. Tom 

Hi Patrick, Thank you for the letter. So glad to hear that you are on the mend. I left UBC on Wednesday morning, one week after my surgery and two days earlier than expected. I had a rough couple days initially in hospital due to the nursing staff getting my pain meds messed up but after that was sorted out every day saw a marked improvement.

Evo the wrestler slash physio therapist was a great help in my hospital physio therapy. My wife drove us to Costco in Abbotsford the day of discharge, where we had a break for half an hour then home to Summerland. It was a good ride up. I am in physio twice a week here in town; not using the walker, or the crutches now either. I am using walking sticks though. Everyday I feel better and stronger.

My incisions look great. I had the staples out on Monday of this week.
I won't be running any marathons for a while but hope to dance with my wife as we celebrate a big anniversary in April. Feeling great and no arthritic pain. I also do all of my bed exercises a few times a day and am looking forward to having a life back. When I can sit for a longer time we can meet for a coffee and catch up. Look forward to seeing you then. Cheers Christian 


Hello Christian! Absolutely delighted to learn that your rehab is progressing so well. Truly, I am more than impressed! I think you are further ahead than me and you have been dealing with two new hips. Keep up the good work! Onward! Fight! Yes, let's keep in  touch and arrange to meet when you are ready. Fondestos to you and Barbara from Lady Dar, still working on the side fence so I suspect she'll want a bottle of wine with dinner this evening! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: Sleepy felines, a few minutes ago! My excuse for not being able to make the bed!

Thx for the sympathy. Actually, right now it's my back. Too much bending & lifting! Slow progress. Oven clean but no energy to clean the racks. Actually, I'm not that impressed with the self clean, first time. Clean DW next WM once laundry done. Never cleaned like this before when leaving for the sunny south but didn't lease home in past. Next time, might hire someone to help. Too late now!! Tenants coming at 10:30 tomorrow. Doesn't help I got very little sleep. Too much on the brain! Of course, I take so much with us. Still, we have to find homes for what we don't take. Why is this such a material world!! 

Well, the good news is that Knox United Fall Fair was on the receiving end of several donations. I also bit the bullet & consigned a lot of clothing as well as parting with several pairs of my beloved heels!! Bad hip contributed to the latter decision!! Heart breaking!! You likely wouldn't understand. I hadn't worn a few in years but I liked to know they were in my closet, ha! ha! Guess I thought I might wear them out for dinner, like from the car to under the table or for making the grand entrance to a special event & then change to a more practical pair later. Oh well, it's $$ in my pocket. Last week, I collected 260.00! I do get a higher percentage profit if I use my $$ as a credit for shopping, 40% as opposed to 35%. The consignment business in Parksville called Kit & Kaboodle Trading Co is awesome. It has 3 different shops: high end, the main intake one with great stuff too and one for children. They even accept/sell home decor, jewelry, purses, shoes, small items of furniture, etc, etc. I have made some wonderful finds. Well, I must pause. I'm nodding off as I type!!😱😳 Cheers! M


Hello Ms Clean/Lower Back Sufferer!  Sorry to hear about your sore back! Almost nothing worse. I wonder if Lady Dar knows about K&K in Parksville. Sounds just like her kind of store! I am just up from a nap as I was out of bed at 7:15 am, earliest since being home. All your house-cleaning is making me feel guilty so hurry up and hit the road! Cheers,  Patrizzio!

I cannot believe we are 80% loaded & the van is in the garage for the first time since we moved. Too much junk before. Boy, what a good feeling!! My back is still sore, but from lifting. I'll be fine. It's not a chronic problem. Considering I spent over an hour looking for my full set of keys, which were in my backwards apron the whole time, it's a miracle I got as much done as I did. Lack of sleep & stress can really do one in! Wash bedding in a.m. & vacuum/swiffer, then we're done!! Omg, we're drinking wine now. I really need a massage!! Life is good!!
Maggie Hi to Corinne!!💜


Hello Kenton and Wildwood Park! Trust everyone is well. On the off chance that you are interested in my own personal, post-op odyssey here is an account, more or less, to date! Fondestos from Lady Kahlo, to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Good to hear from you Patrick, and to see your photos. It must be nice to have the surgery behind you, and to have it be a major success. I found the Scrapbook excellent in recording many of the facets that have been involved in the making of the library. Tom excels as well in mentioning a large number of the people involved, and in keeping the tone light. But no, it doesn't make me regret retirement.

I continue to enjoy various fitness classes at community centres. I always choose light hearted ones such as Zumba Gold, and the Gentle Fit class whose instructor gets me to wear antlers in December. I continue to enjoy acrylic painting. My cat, Emma, is 21 and I have decided to take only very short trips until she passes. She is understandably frail.

Elizabeth Caskey and I meet in a neighbourhood coffee shop fairly often. As you may know her husband died this time last year. Whenever Hilde and Peter Colenbrander aren't off on an adventure we get together. Well, time to touch up a painting. I have my paintings on my wall, and thus I frequently decide to redo bits of them. I don't think they will ever be done. Cheers to you, Lady Dar, and the puds, Bev
Hi Bev! Pleased to learn that you are keeping well. Please pass along best wishes to Elizabeth, Hilde and Peter. First met Peter, I believe,at one of the wine-tastings I organized for some of the librarians at UBC. Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment