Sunday 18 September 2016

Day 1, Post-Op Blues: Thursday, September 15th

 Would the boy you were be proud of the man you are? -Laurence J. Peter, educator and author (16 Sep 1919-1990)


Felt ready for breakfast as I had not eaten anything solid since Tuesday's wonderful dinner with Flamin' and Sarge. Had porridge so Sharktooth would have approved, along with an ice-cream scoop of scrambled eggs. Drank my coffee black as I had high hopes of getting my bowels to start working as intended. Not nearly as strong as I would have liked but not all that bad, considering.

Later that morning, physio, Annie, had me do a few exercises while still lying in bed and then, once out of bed, I used my walker to do a bit of the hallway. Felt pretty good, right from the get-go. Another chap, Kevin O'Keefe, was brought up to the ward late the night before so we had a chance to visit with him that morning and afternoon. Funnily enough, he knew Sarge as he is in property management and had been involved in a number of the buildings that were closed or sold as a result of Sarge's E Division Re-Location Project in Surrey. Later that afternoon, Csaba, another physio, took me for a longer walk and more standing leg exercises. Felt so good that after dinner and my visitors had left, I asked my nurse to help me out of bed again and walked down the hall to visit Christian Heim, who had had both hips replaced by Clive Duncan after Clive was finished with me!

Lady Dar and I had met him and Barbara, his wife, on Tuesday at the pre-op session at VGH, and then I saw them again Wednesday morning before our surgeries. Barbara popped by to say hello to me just before she was leaving the hospital so I wanted to see him to tell him how impressed I was with his herculean effort! Two hips at the same time!!!

He was in extremely good spirits and we exchanged email addresses. It turns out they live on 6 acres in Summerland so just up the road! Originally they had mentioned they were from Kelowna, not realizing that many people would not know where Summerland was! We plan to get together once we both are a bit more mobile. Another extremely restful, pain-free night so I began to decrease the amount of medication and increase the time between doses. From past experience, I knew that the opiates would increase the likelihood of constipation and I wanted to avoid that particular side-effect or at least reduce its severity.

Two September trips, second, Roddy Flats September, 15th, 2016:

https://goo.gl/photos/BKMTF8nAgBnJzY2B7
Have a look, if interested. Al

Message from Olly: Hi Pam, Hope all is well with you and all of our hiking/bridge friends. Last night we just arrived at our campsite on Porters Lake on the eastern shores near Dartmouth/Halifax and will be going to Peggy's Cove today and to watch the surfers at a nearby beach. Now that we have left Nfld, Cape Breton and are further west and south I guess the weather is much nicer; it's sunny and warm here as opposed to the cool, overcast, windy and often wet days we've had. But each day has its own beauty and our country certainly is big and beautiful! Please pass on cheers and hugs from me to all our friends.😊Thanks for the update! Hanneke

Thanks for the pictures Patrick. Good to see everyone and thanks you for the wonderful dinner. Joanne



Here is wishing you well from the gulf islands. Give us an update on the new bionics when ya can. Fond regards, G&J and Morita Doing well, going home tomorrow. Thanks for checking. Hugs Corinne Hop, you good after the chop?

No comments:

Post a Comment