Wednesday 21 September 2016

Day 7, Post-Op Gabriola Island Blues: Wednesday, September 21st!

Good books don't give up all their secrets at once. -Stephen King, novelist (b. 21 Sep 1947) 


Tummler Ubermensch, let us know how you are doing. How's your Reach? We trust that the recovery is going better than expected. Weather is changing here dramatically in the past week or so with rain and cooler temps. I continue to plug away at finishing the work on the house which goes agonizingly slow.

Would you please give us contact info for your friends the Pitchforks. We are trying to decide if we want to use the services of a travel agent or do it ourselves. Would welcome your feedback on that question. Also you mentioned a few books that you were excited about. Please provide the titles. I am scratching for something new and exciting. Let us know if and when you will return to the lower mainland. Fond regards to all, W & J - and Morita


Hi Calamity and Giggenheimer, a lesser being, many, many steps below an Übermensch! Thanks for your best wishes and the wonderful, wonderful evening on Monday. I know the re-fried beans were instrumental in helping my bowels return to post-op regularity, so thanks for the over-the-counter, hyper-laxative! My reach has also improved to a remarkable degree with my shiny new Extendo Grabber. Life is now an on-going series of daily situations in which I refine my robotic arm/hand dexterity. I'll make a killing whenever I next encounter those digger machines one finds at fairs or even malls. Duke and Etta are simply beside themselves thinking of the plethora of fuzzy cat toys I'll be bringing home by the car-load!

I would suggest you contact The Pitchforks: Champagne Charlie and O Susannah, aka Charlie and Susan Pitchford. Their primary focus has become packaged tours but although we are not interested, in the main, in this style of travel, [We did use them for cruise in 2008 but made all our other  arrangements, outside air and cruise bookings, ourselves. They are very comfortable with that.] In 2012, when we travelled to Hong Kong, Australia and Japan, they booked all our international air travel. I think they did a terrific job as it was very complicated, at least to me, and the price they eventually came up with was certainly lower than what I was initially able to stitch together. As I mentioned, get in touch and outline general needs, itinerary, cost and the like ,and then see what they are able to suggest. Do the same yourself, to the extent you are able to do so, and then you can compare. You might not need help but if you do I have every condfidence that they will be working in your best interest. Especially if you make sure to insist you don't know me!

Funnily enough we will be heading back into Vancouver in a little over three weeks or so. First time will be in mid-October to volunteer for the VWF and then in early November for my 6 week follow-up appointment with my hip surgeon, Clive Duncan, on November 3rd.  We'll know our precise travel schedule once things settle down a bit here, with my recovery process, etc.


As of this writing, (and as Lady Dar may well have reported), I am more than delighted to say that I underwent a very, very successful and almost completely pain-free hip replacement. I experienced a fair bit of "nagging ache" once the spinal anaesthetic wore off, about 4:00 pm, day of surgery, but regular, [every three hours], Hydromorphone and regular Tylenol which was prescribed soon had that under control by 8:00 pm. Basically, after that I experienced no pain or other discomfort thereafter.



Friday morning, Csaba noticed the book I was reading, Alan Furst's Spies of the Balkans so he wrote title down as this was his home turf. [I have read most of his work, basically set in pre-WW II Europe, so one of authors I'd recommend.  One I've not read but plan to shortly, The Underground Railroad, is by Colson Whitehead. Heard him interviewed by Eleanor Wachtel this past week. Both will be at VWF. As well, Sam Wiebe's Invisible Dead is on my list. “ 'A gripping, wrenching, brilliant piece of fiction, quite possibly the definitive Vancouver crime novel. If Last of the Independents announced Sam Wiebe’s arrival, Invisible Dead places him in the ranks of the best young mystery writers working today — on either side of the border. This book is outstanding.' –Owen Laukkanen, author of The Professionals" Both will be at VWF so plan to come! Check out the VWF list I believe I passed along. If not it will be on the website. Fondestos to one and all, from Lady Dar, Etta and Duke. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Pics: Etta and Duke a few nights ago; Duke helping me send messages yesterday. He ate the mouse earlier so I have to use touch pad! View from house we looked at in Kaleden late yesterday afternoon. Looking east, over Skaha, towards Eastside Road and OK Falls. Another of Lady Dar's "schemes"! No dice! Too big, too much maintenance, too isolated. No need!!! Dodged this one. More coming. I need your pistola Calamity!

Next Monday Tony will again try to lead us up from Kitley Lake, near Parker Mtn., just this side of White Lake. So we will again meet at Home Hardware in Penticton at 9am, and Summerlanders can carpool from the IGA parking lot at 8:40 am. Pam


Hi Spumoni! Thanks for your lovely card! It arrived today loaded with best wishes so I'll be back hiking in no time! Certainly bridge, next Tuesday, here, until we can find another time.


Had a lovely visit with friends from Gabriola today. They have been visiting family in Kelowna. Eveline worked with Cora Lee at VPL and when she and Dirk retired they moved to Gabriola. They have a wonderful place there. Very enjoyable catching up and after Lady Dar's fabulous squash soup and my mixed salad, followed by her peach pie for dessert, they were off to Logan Lake for four nights with one of their daughters who lives and works there.

Lady Dar is at Book Club this evening so just me and the kittens! At this point I am still using a walker but feel no reluctance, at all, to place reasonably "normal" weight bearing stress on my left leg. Fondestos, Spumoni, from Etta and Duke. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hey Patrick. I can't remember when your surgery is/was but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and wishing you a speedy recovery. You should do well as you're in good shape to begin with. Let me know if you need anything. I'm usually in penticton on weds to hike. Altho I'm recovering from a ball injury right now. Cheers Teresa 

Hi Mother Teresa! Thanks for your lovely wishes and offer of help! Thanks muchly for both but with respect to latter, Lady Dar is at my every beck and call, [at least I choose to believe that this is the case!], albeit, very grudgingly and certainly grumpily, as you might well imagine, so I'm well taken care of, at least until I ask for too many snorts of malt! Of course, if you have a minute, when in town, please pop by for a java or something stronger. I probably won't be going out until Saturday when there is an Art Gallery fund raiser. I plan to festoon my walker with balloons! Fondestos and Cheers, Mama T Patrizzio! Pics: Gabriola says goodbye. Jessica, Vittorio and Patrizzio The Younger. Lads were born in Sweden, hence The Swedish Twins, although cousins.

Sounds like you've got things well in hand. I'll give you a shout next time I'm in the hood....What's your phone number? And your address. Teresa Hi again, Mama T! We live on Burns Street. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi! Patrick: Welcome Home!! Just heard that you are back home recuperating from your hip surgery. Hope all went well with the surgery. With Corinne's TLC, you will be back on your feet and good as new in no time.

Good thing you were home resting on Monday. I did Al's Monday Hike up to Secret Canyon (up past Nickel Plate). We bush wacked 90%, got rain which then turned to wet snow. It was 3C & I definitely wasn't dressed warm enough. Trekked thru mud & wet trees & bushes. I came home soaked & chilled and had to hop in & take a hot shower to warm up. Let me know when you are feeling up to some company and I will pop over for a little visit with you. Take care!! Mary Lee 


Hi Steel Town Woman! Thanks for your lovely wishes and mention of Lady Dar's TLC! Hike sounded like a challenge! Under other circumstances I'd love to have joined outing! Look forward to seeing you! Fondestos, Motorized Mary, Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Corinne, thank you for having us over, once again, hope we didn't cause any disturbance or hassle. Your new home looks lovely - although, maybe not your new home for much longer if you move? I guess another reason for us to make a trip back to the Okanagan. The squash were so good that we picked some up on the way home actually : )

It was, of course, great to see you and Pat, and even better to see Pat doing well and that the surgery hasn't caused him to lose his sense of humour (and strong opinion haha - Jessica says that I like Patrick because he "enables" my own eccentricity and penchant for speaking my mind)

The timing was perfect with our friend's wedding and my cousin being in town, Patrick Jr. really likes talking and seeing you guys, so he was a very happy puppy. Thank you again for your generosity, kindness and friendship. Hopefully catch you when you guys are back in town for the writers' fest. I will send pictures from the evening as soon as I get a chance. Take care and miss you,
VL


Hi Patrick I booked your appt on Nov 3/16 xrays 1pm and Dr Duncan 1:45 pm See you then Deborah Hello Deborah! Thank you for accommodating appointment time. Much appreciated, of course.

Had to go to see my family doctor as I felt that I was having some noticeable side-effects from the Indomethacin (Teva) 25mg that had been prescribed for ten days following release from hospital. As you know, I had taken a "trial" dosage in April and experienced no adverse effects at all. Thought it was better to be safe than sorry, however. Doctor ordered an ultra-sound to make sure I had not developed a blood clot, (s), in my left leg as I had some considerable swelling, but otherwise nothing but a headache and some dizziness when I first got out of bed.

 
I had an ultra-sound next day. All went well and technician said that as far as he could determine I didn't have any clots in my operated leg. My doctor confirmed that the following Monday. Feeling very well, now, in spite of what I've mentioned and I'm only using a cane. I felt I should pass along this information in case Dr Duncan wants to suggest anything. I have been advised to take five more days of Baby Aspirin since I only finished the first half of Indomethacin prescription. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio










No comments:

Post a Comment