Sunday 18 September 2016

Day 2, Post-Op Coquihalla Chauffeur Blues: Friday, September 16th!

Men make counterfeit money; in many more cases, money makes counterfeit men. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist and author (14 Sep 1917-1986) 
Photo: Christian Zatloukal
After breakfast, [Cream of Wheat, a boiled egg and a peanut butter/jelly toast sandwich, washed down with more black coffee but still no stomach gurglings!], Csaba returned and he walked me to the physio room where I practiced with crutches on the purpose-built stairs there to ready myself for discharge. Once back in my room, I was given the green-light to go home so I called Lady Dar and told her that she would have time to make a Costco run before coming to collect me. I knew paper-work would take a couple of hours and I also wanted the roast-beef sandwich I'd ordered for lunch. Waved good bye to Brad as he was off shortly before 10:00 am. Wished him luck with his coming rehab and flight to Nicaragua, about 4-5 hours to Houston and then 2 more to Managua. 

Visited with Kevin while I readied my few possessions and just before noon Lady Dar arrived. Funnily enough she bumped into Kevin's wife in the parkade as she was bringing lunch, crutches and a walker for Kevin. When she saw all the equipment, Cora Lee simply asked: "Knee or Hip?" After Lady Dar helped me to dress, lunch was delivered so I suggested she head back to car with everything but my new cushion and bring vehicle closer to entrance where I was to be taken in a wheelchair. Just as I was enjoying my sandwich, the OT arrived and we spent a few minutes on precautions to be followed on drive home and in daily living. Then it was my turn to say goodbye to the suite of wonderful nurses who'd cared for me, Ricardo and Kelsey, as well as Kevin, and I was soon curbside. Just before I was about to get out of the wheelchair, Barbara came by and we chatted for a bit, making plans to be in touch and arrange a visit as soon as both patients were able to do so.

No difficulty getting into car and we were soon off. I took a couple of the pills hospital staff had given to me for ride home so I "floated" most of the time, dozing off and very comfortable. Didn't even need to use my plastico. We left Vancouver at just after 1:00 pm so traffic in Valley was quite light. Stopped at Costco in Abbotsford for gas and then Lady Dar took Coquihalla once past Hope. Home by 4:30 pm and Chloƫ greeted us at back door to help her Mom unload. Glasgow was out walking their dog, Kali, but I said hello to Catherine before I took a nap for a couple of hours. Back up to visit around 7:00 pm to enjoy a glass of wine and then a few more with the lovely dinner: fab steaks, roasted carrots/potatoes and a tomatoe/Bocconcini/fresh Basil, from our planter, salad. A snort of malt with Glasgow and then it was bedtime for me.

I had taken the last of the pills I'd received from the hospital earlier that evening and since I felt no pain whatsoever, after brushing and flossing, I decided not to take any of the prescription medication Chloƫ had picked up for me once we were back home. Drifted off quite nicely after playing "Fetch" with Duke for a few minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment