Sunday 28 August 2016

Yasou Ti kanis Poly Kala Blues: Sunday, August 28th!

Words are not created by academics in universities and suchlike, rather it is the man in the street who does so. Dictionary compilers almost always recognise them too late and embalm them in alphabetical order, in many cases when they have lost their original meaning. -Gabriel García Márquez, novelist and journalist, Nobel laureate (1927-2014)


Didn't stumble out of bed until about 8:30 am as had had quite a difficult night. When Lady Dar went to bed I stayed up to watch another episode of The Bridge so didn't hit my pillow until 11:30 pm. Fell asleep quite quickly as it had been a busy day and ride had tired me out as well. An hour later a banging, of some sort, woke me up and I knew, with a deep sigh, that The Constant Gardener, after watering that evening, had not latched the front gate, next to the water cistern. Sighing deeply and thinking dark thoughts I struggled out of bed,  shrugged on a pair of shorts and went outside to properly latch the gate. 

[Just got these today. How do they look. Send money Dad says. (They look great...Grandpa will sleep well in them after he eats breakfast!!)

Hello Falcon Lake Fontainebleu! No wonder you live in a French Palace with chairs like those! Tell Dusty he's sitting on millions and he's the one who needs to send cash!!! Trust everyone is well or at least as well as can be expected, given both your on-going health issues! With respect to my coming surgery, all going well, I'm hoping to be home by Friday, September 16th. Obviously, unable to tell, at this point, if events will unfold this way but I trust I will experience the same wonderful result as in 2010!
Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both, Clara and Dusty, and to rest of gang, of course. Chat soon, one way or another. Must away as we are having two couples, both from hiking group, (Vittoria and Jake Snyder and Jack Rabbit Slims and The Toothless Wonder, aka Gill and Phil Ronson), for dinner this evening and much to do to help Lady Dar prepare the Greek fare.  In fact, do an endless number of dishes!!! Cheers to my Favourite-in-Laws, Patrizzio! Pic: Jake, in middle, at Farmer's Market this past Saturday. PPS: Had a call, earlier this morning, from Ruth Chang, in Dallas. She is leaving Ganderman! Long, long story so I'll let you talk to Lady Dar about all the gory details!!! Adrian is moving to LA, for work related reasons, and Ruth and Miranda plan to help him with the move so we might cross paths there if we drive down for Christmas/New Year's. Need to wait and see how hip recovery goes. I'm hoping, of course, that all will be very well by then but nothing is guaranteed, as you both well know.]
   
Back in bed I couldn't drift off so after tossing and turning for 20 minutes or so, I decided I'd watch a few more episodes of The Bridge until I was so sleepy I'd fall asleep again. Forced myself to stay awake until 2:30 am and then I did drift off, only to be awoken when The Thundering Herds started their galloping routine. Must be seen and heard to be believed. Lady Dar was up by 7:00 am so she very kindly turned on my bedside radio. The broadcast helped to mask the ear-drum shattering paw-beats and I was able to fall into a fitful sleep for almost two hours. Such is the life of a man married to a wind-tunnel snorer in denial and two hyper-active felines! 

Hello West Vancouverites! Trust you are both well! Have been meaning to send along these snapolas ever since you visited! No excuses but plenty of reasons! Wonderful to see you both, it goes without saying. You neglected to take along the beer, Ross! Homeless along Penticton Creek send their thanks!!!

Given that I'm to have my left-hip replaced on September 14th I won't be able to volunteer at the Studio 1398 bar this year. Lady Dar is hoping you, Julia, will share that responsibility with her. If you are interested, Kathryn would like you to update your volunteer registration to reflect this. For my part, I will be selling tickets at Studio 1398 as I can sit down for duration of my shifts, as well as keep a weather eye on you both! Anyway, let us know what you think about VWF, Julia. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Visit of the Red Racers! 


Hello Card Sharks! Queen of Diamonds, Josinta Dronkers, has very kindly offered to host the next bridge gathering, nibbles and wine to be served. Start time between 6:30-7:00 pm. So far, Little John Pam, Penticton Patrizzio and Lady Dar will be playing. All others welcome, of course, but let us know so that we can plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick! I'd like to attend! Shall we carpool? Pam Hi Spumoni! Welcome back! How was Cathedral? Keen to hear all about the camping adventure. Naramata Pam had offered to chauffeur. Why don't you drive to our place for around 6:20 pm and we can all go together. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Mr Fjord and Vittorino! Trust you are both well! Wanted to let you know that the date for my left hip-replacement has been assigned and confirmed. Surgery will take place on Wednesday, September 14th, at UBC. As I'm sure you can appreciate, if I'm going to have the operation, the sooner the better, in spite of social calendar. All going well, I'm hoping to be home by Friday, September 16th. Obviously, unable to tell, at this point, if events will unfold this way but I wanted to let you both know as this may well change your plans to visit. I trust it won't as you are still more than welcome but, unfortunately, no biking or hiking for me, just malt tasting! Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Chat soon, one way or another. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Ragin'! Trust you are well or at least as well as can be expected, given your on-going health issues! Relative to your proposed visit and our own "full dance card", the only time, pre-surgery, for us, would be on or after Labour Day, September 5th. We are off to Little Shushwap to spend a few days with Squamoids, Ruthless and Ricardo, at their cabin there, returning to stop in Kelowna on Monday to visit Myra Canyon Trestles. Trees around trestles are getting to be so high, according to a number of friends from hiking group, that if one wants an unimpeded view of stunning canyons, etc, one needs to visit this Fall as by next year the route will likely be a virtual tunnel. Given my coming surgery and logistics, long-weekend presents best opportunity, at least for me, on all front.  

Chloë is coming to Penticton this Tuesday to kitten-sit while we are away. If you are still interested/available, you are more than welcome to come up that day or next, whichever suits but you may well be otherwise engaged. If you can see your way to visit it would certainly be much appreciated as there are at least two or three projects, [Simple shelving, (plans already drawn!), in living room for stereo equipment; small platform at the north end of garage for standing upon when hanging clothes, and such, on a washing line; some very basic storage lockers on sheltered side, (north), of house for bikes and other garden tools. Even if we only accomplished first this would allow me to further slowly and carefully "decant" garage over the course of my three month rehabilitation.

Of course, I know you are juggling your own medical schedule so please don't worry if timing is off. If, on the other hand, you came up some time in mid-October, I should be reasonably mobile but of no help in terms of lifting, bending, etc. Most of the material will not be that heavy and Lady Dar can certainly go to the lumber yard with you and help with heavier parts of assembly, etc., while I supervise! If you do think you might drive up for most of the week of the
5th-9th/10th, please let me know as soon as possible as I will begin to dismantle large lockers on south side of house as I would like to use much of the sheeting for more fittingly sized lockers mentioned above, unless you might have other, informed suggestions. Furthermore, I could begin to stockpile other material so it is on hand when you arrive, should this transpire. Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly.
Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Branko. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Patriçio! Are they going to do a remake of that TV series, “The 6 Million Dollar Man”? Perhaps they should rename it “The 6 Million $ Cyclist”. Let’s make sure we touch bases when you are in the big city for the bio-upgrade. I’ll visit you in the hospital and bring you some chicken soup.

Now, back to freeloading. Thanx for your email. I was about to touch bases, but my scheduling woes are so oppressive that I would instantly start to fibrillate just thinking about it. Now, hearing your schedule, … well … it’s worst. I have a number of medical appointments and a potential commitment to a home <> away exchange with a friend in Seattle. I may have some other appointments imposed on me. I am hosting the MNT game (Men’s National Team - FIFA qualifier on TSN) this Friday and the home game @BC Place, which we’ve all put up $66.25 for, is next Tuesday. Other than that, I don’t mind missing a Whitecaps game, but …

My Dad is in the hospital (again) and I have no idea - well I lie, I have a pretty good idea - of what level of care he will need when he is released. I need to put some thought into that. The kids are all saying “keep him at home”. Well, guess who is holding the bag on that one. I am thinking care home, involving a bit of research … details to all this over an 18 year old whiskey. So the bottom line is, assuming things get under control in September, I have a decent window from October 8th. Hopefully, that’s before snow tire season, if not, it will have to be in the spring after STS. ANYWAY, let’s touch bases during your op … I should have more solid info then. Cheers, from the socially deprived, yet overwhelmingly duty bound//bjp Branimir
 
 
Hi Patrick I am sure you are being very hard on Corinne, at the moment I would probably feel like joining her! As I am having a bit of a sad time at the moment as my mum has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. She is quite ok at the moment, weak, with laboured breathing at times, but putting on a brave face. I have put in place lots of help as she insists on staying at home, she has carers every day to help with showers, medication etc, and a domestic 3 hours per week. She has a permanent drain in place, which is drained every week. It is very hard talking to her about her estate, home, shares, banking etc, but it has to be done! Trevor is being absolutely wonderful, he has a strong shoulder to lay my head on. Unfortunately Donald was away in Portugal on holiday whilst all of this was happening, but he has picked up the slack since he has arrived back home. I am sending you a big warm Teens type hug from us, we will be thinking of you on the 14th. Hope dinner was a roaring success! Loved the photos and report of your last hike. Lots of love Teens xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Teens! Just a very quick note to say how distressed we were to learn of your Mom's recent diagnosis. Cannot believe how much the poor thing has already been through and yet continues to bear up so remarkably well. Please give her our heartfelt love and same to you and Don, in this more than terribly difficult time. Love, Corinne and Patrick!

Hi Spumoni! Welcome back! How was Cathedral? Keen to hear all about the camping adventure. Naramata Pam had offered to chauffeur. Why don't you drive to our place for around 6:20 pm and we can all go together. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick! Gill and Phil (and Helmi, Ron and Laurie) put me through the wringer up there! It was beautiful but the first day hike went on for 16km, 7.5 hours and 800 meters in elevation gain! I took it easy the second day when the A team went on an even more strenuous hike and then the third day we backpacked out: another 19km, with 1000m down (7hours this time). My knee suffered a bit and is still swollen. Now I'm just back from handling sweaty challenge athletes at the finish line! It was fun to be part of the action without doing any running etc.  Yes, I'll join you at 6:20, thanks. I'll probably get there a bit earlier. See you on tomorrow's hike? Pam 

Hi Kathryn: I have talked to Patrick and Corinne and am happy to work with Corinne at the bar. I have sent in my application and indicated food and beverage as one option. I am available at all times indicated-almost the whole festival and am happy to take extra shifts. Looking forward to it. Julia 


No comments:

Post a Comment