Wednesday 3 August 2016

Etta and Duke Explore Their New Home Curiosity Blues: Wednesday, August 3rd!

What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. -P.D. James, novelist (3 Aug 1920-2014)


Had arranged, over the phone, to meet Jack Rabbit Slims, at noon, at the bottom of Reservoir Rd where it meets McMillan Ave and turns into Naramata Road. She wanted to ride towards Indian Rock. Had I been alone I'd probably have decided to make for OK Falls, for a couple of reasons. I'd ridden Naramata Road the day before and today wind was out of the south at around 10 kph. I prefer to head into the wind, initially, but I enjoy riding with Gilliana so much I wasn't about to fuss about direction. 

Left the house a little later than I had intended so I was only able to do the short PTC dipsy-doodle before making heading up Vancouver. Quick loop around Middle Bench and Jack Rabbit was waiting, just above Township 7. After waving to each other we made our way along Naramata Road. Pleasant enough time chatting, whenever we could manage to do so and time flew by and before I knew it we were soon at the cattle guard on the way to Chute Lake. I had imagined that we would turn back here but Jack Rabbit was happy to continue so we raced over the grill, her Lypsyl Original Lip Balm popping out of her pocket with all the shake, rattle and roll of going over the guard. Didn't take her but a moment to stop to pick it up and she was back alongside me as we climbed the next two long grades to the turn-off to Chute Lake.

Once here, I had decided that I might as well go all the way to Indian Rock. Jack Rabbit only wanted to go as far as Indian Rock Road so after we crossed the next cattle guard, [Once again her Lypsyl fell out of her pocket!], she stopped there while I made the descent to the small community there before looping back and climbing, slowly, slowly up to North Naramata Road. On the way down, near the bottom of the hill I passed two women walking a dog. On the way up I passed them again and they said how impressed they were that I was riding such a hill. I replied that they might change their minds if they had to collect me from the side of the road later! 

At any rate, I did manage to make the climb back to North Naramata Road, arguably the toughest part of the overall ascent. In the interim, Gilliana had returned to Chute Lake Road where she rode up it, as far as it remains, more or less, on the flat, and we met, more or less by chance, at the intersection of these roads and, reunited, proceeded back along Naramata together. Shortly after we met I asked her if she had stopped to look for her lip balm and she said she had, finding it on the edge of the grill. Crossing the last cattle guard she had it wedged firmly in her pocket so it remained there as we raced downhill, now more exposed to the wind. 

Bit protected on the two long, uphill slogs but once we'd climbed them and had passed Robinson, we had to fight it all the way back. Still, not too, too bad and before we knew it we were speeding by La Frenz. Thanked JRS for getting me out and taking me all the way to Indian Rock. Don't think I'd have gone that far if I'd not been with her. Waved goodbye as she pulled onto Reservoir Road and I was on my own, taking Upper Bench. Had to fight reasonably hard here as there was still a very stiff head wind but once I was racing down Johnson Road things eased up. Needed a bit more distance on the clock so another loop of Middle Bench before taking the hill to Government and then all the way back to PTC where a couple more short dipsy-doodles there before making my way back up Ellis. Although there is only a long, slight uphill grade all the way to White, with the wind blasting right into my face for the entire time on Ellis I had my work cut out for me. Felt lucky that I was able to keep my AVG above 21 kph when I pulled up to our back door! Still, a grand ride with a tough, tough rider! Hip Hip Hooray for Dynamo Woman!!! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1287116165#.V6JyYs2UWjw.email

Dearest Hostess Josinta and Officlai Bridge Photographer Aarturo, et al! Thank you so much for the lovely, lovely evening, Jos, for the tasty appetizers and the most amicable company. Thank you, VQA Lady, for the very, very palatable Hester Creek vino and for being such a gracious chauffeur. Thank you, Jack Rabbit Gilliana for being such a trusting partner and making the small slam! Aarturo, thank you for the most quaffable beer and the photo at the end of the evening.

With respect to next Tuesday, I will be in Vancouver, but Lady Dar would like to host the bridge evening. With our brand-spanking new kittens, Etta, (for Etta James), and Duke, (for Duke Ellington), she would prefer to be at home with them for the next little while. Let us know if you will be attending and Cora Lee will plan accordingly. Thanks again for last night, Famiglia Dronkers. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Aarturo's snap; Lady Dar and Etta saying goodbye to Chloë just before she left to drive back to Vancouver this evening.


Jos, I echo Patrick's thank you for hosting bridge last night. It was a fun evening. I hope to see you next week at Patrick's for bridge.Pam

Here I am back at the Festival office on Granville Island to organize volunteers for our 2016 festival, 18-23 October. Please mark those dates now! 2016 volunteer registration won't begin for at least two weeks. We're aiming to have information on how to register posted on the volunteer pages of our website the week of Aug 22, and we’ll also send you an email to notify you when we go live with our updated registration form for 2016.
As always, returning volunteers will be registered, assigned and scheduled first. Only once all the returning volunteers are scheduled will new volunteers be assigned.

Registration deadline for Returning Volunteers to receive priority scheduling will be Midnight, Labour Day, Monday Sept 5. 

No need to do anything now, unless you want to advise that you won't be able to volunteer this year or that you want to be taken off our email list.
Your patience over the next few weeks as we update the registration for 2016 is very much appreciated! Kathryn Fowler, Volunteer Manager 

Hi dear friends, I know you are all warm hearted and generous, therefore you receive this email from me!

I am helping with selling tickets for a Rotary Raffle for a beautiful Quilt. A Quilt in fact that took some 70 hours to make by hand by our Rotary member Barb Gillespie, who is an expert Quilter and owner of Cherry Tree Quilts on Main Street in Summerland. She is donating this Quilt to the Rotary for the raffle to raise funds. Please see attached an information page with a picture of the beautiful Quilt. The size of it is about 2.3x2.3 meters or (for those who still dream in the medieval Imperial system) about 7.4x7.4 feet. The insurance value of the Quilt is CAD 2500!

The tickets are a mere 2 dollars (yes you heard it right CAD 2 ... a steal), an amount that you all can easily afford to spend for a good cause! As you know all funds go to goodwill projects the Summerland Rotary Club is involved in. The draw will be held on September 11th, 12:30, the last day of the Summerland Sunday Market, in the Rotary Tent on Main Street.  Each ticket you buy should get your name, phone # and email address so that you can be contacted if you win. Better is of course that you actually show up on September 11th, a must if yo have not been to the Summerland Sunday Market!

If you are willing to buy one or more tickets please let me know. Your reply to this email can serve to be your commitment to buy the ticket(s). Because I cannot give you the ticket(s) with this email, I am proposing the following: I will buy the ticket on your behalf, I fill out your name, phone # & email on the receipt of the ticket(s) you buy and voila, since you committed I will get your money and give you the ticket sometime before September 11th, either on a hike, during bridge, on a bike, on the tennis court, in a sailboat or on the dance floor! 

Since I am putting my money at risk, i.e. I will somehow have to get your money for the tickets you promised to buy, I herewith declare to trust you 100%! Please let me know. How great would it be if you would help the good cause by buying some tickets. I will toast to your generosity! Cheers, Aart 

No comments:

Post a Comment