Thursday 4 August 2016

Back in My Hiking Boots Blues: Thursday, August 4th!

He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper. -Edmund Burke, statesman and writer (1729-1797)


Hello Mahoney Lake Hikers! More than terrific hike thanks to The Wonderful Toothless Wonder! Hip Hip Hooray for El Presidente Phillipo! Thanks to all the shuttle drivers as well. Enjoyed the outing immensely, other than the nasty wasps, (Hope Faith has recovered!), and especially all the great pooches. My account, below, if interested. Thanks again and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Mahoney Lake Field Report, Thursday, August 4th:


Up at 6:30 am as Etta and Duke were starting to stir. They both slept with us for most of the night. Although I'd set my alarm for 6:45 am I didn't need it with our new pets! Busy time in the kitchen and living room as after they'd had their fill of food and water they are now chasing their plastic balls across the tile floor or having wrestling matches on the numerous area rugs here! Lady Dar wants to remove the bells on their collars but I like the tinkling, Christmas come early at Burns Street Cat Emporium!

At any rate, I had readied, for the day's coming hike, my camel pack and sandwich the night before, so all I had to do was core a couple of apples, slice them and salt them once in a Ziploc bag. Sustenance and electrolyte replacement all rolle dinto one! Then it was Lady Dar's turn to turn a good turn and she laced up my boots and I was off to HH to meet the gang. First time I've been hiking since June 6th so almost two full months since I'd seen many of the group, at least those not on this past Monday's ride. Wonderful to see Tyrannosaurus Tinka, Jumpin' Jack Flash and St Killian again, and to meet the latter's son, Chris, and his two children, Faith and Jacob, visiting from Calgary. 

The Toothless Wonder, Sedona Phillipo, was the organizer of this hike and the logisitcs were somewhat similar to those Jimbo had faced on Monday's ride. Once instructions had been given and drivers assigned, the ordinary folk climbed into the available vehicles and we made our way to the parking lot at White Lake. I rode with All I Want For Christmas Is My One Front Tooth, along with Jack Rabbit Slims and Nala, their daughter's lovely, lovely pooch, stopping a the DRAO to collect Walk Away Renee and her adorable dog, Lucy. They followed us and we waited until the other vehicles arrived. After unloading people and poles and packs, The Tooth Fairy drove to the south end of Mahoney Lake, [So that there would be a vehicle there at the hike's end to ferry drivers of other vehicles back to their cars at White Lake parking lot.], followed by Taxi Driver Tinka who brought him back to us.

Once the chauffeur people returned, we set off, close to 8:50 am. I have actually hiked in this area and on many of the different trails here so was quite familiar with the route we started out on. I led troop for first little while, having started out sooner than rest, followed by Jacob, Faith, Chris and their dog, Bogart, a terrific animal, a Collie/Shephard mix he looked to me but in fact, I never asked so may well be wrong. A few minutes later, near the top of the first rise one encounters I heard a yelp behind me and Jacob had been stung by a wasp. He handled painful encounter quite well, complaining the bite stung but that it wasn't too, too bad. 

Nevertheless we pushed on, past the shady grove of trembling aspens I've always admired here and then the two gigantic Ponderosa Pines near the top of the next gentle rise. There is a small, fenced lake just beyond but here Presidente Phillipo took us through a copse of pines, to the left and we started to climb, gradually at first, but as we ascended the grade became steeper. Not punishingly so but it was a cloudless sky and warming up every minute, sp rivulets of perspiration trickled down my back. The terrain we crossed and the surrounding hillside were very dry and brown, exhibiting not a trace of the profusion of wildflowers we'd enjoyed on the hikes here this spring. Still, it was wonderful to be crunching up these hills again and into the small ravines we encountered. 

Over the course of this part of the climb we were often on game trails of one sort or another but would go cross-country at times. No dead-fall to speak of so going was pretty easy. Our first goal was to reach the peak where Guy's Cache is located and we came upon it from a southwest approach, one I'd not hiked before, so I was pleased to discover new territory. We stopped, for a few minutes, to have a sip of whatever we were carrying and a snack for some, near the base of the first longish climb. The footing was very stable so that was not an issue but my hiking endurance had dwindled in the intervening two months and I was huffing and puffing by the time I made it to the top of the first flat area, about ten minutes or so from where we were making for. We stopped here for a few minutes as Chistophero and Jimbo had taken a slightly different route to the top and we wanted to regroup before moving on. 

I was just enjoying the wonderful, refreshingly cool breeze blowing across the clearing and catching my breath when Faith came tearing out of a small clump of bush a bit lower down from where I stood. It turned out that either she of Jacob had disturbed a wasp's nest and most of the angry insects were chasing her. When she tore by me I could see that the seat of her shorts was covered with wasps, and many more were buzzing round her head and shoulders. Some of the stragglers must have been upset at me as I soon found myself batting the air around my head as I was soon under attack myself. I started to hop around the flat space feeling two stings almost immediately, one just below my buttocks on my right leg, another on the right side of my neck, just below my jaw. I heard more cries of distress from some of the others but by this time I was so preoccupied with trying to rid myself of the relentless dive-bombers and further stings that I took off, down a shallow slope, in the hope I could outrun them or that they'd lose interest in pursuing me.  

Didn't work, at first, even when using my hat to swat away with, but eventually the distance and strong breeze seemed to clear the air and I stopped moving to assess the damage. By this time the bites were starting to sting, rather sharply, so I certainly had more sympathy for Jacob and his first bite, at the start of the hike, but more so for Faith as she had almost certainly sustained some serious damage. By the time we were all back together and moving towards Guy's Cache, it was apparent that Faith had been stung 17 or 18 times. Given this fact, I think we were all rather amazed that she behaved almost as if nothing much had happened! Strong young woman, indeed! 

For his part, Aarturo had been bitten on the top of his head and swelling was providing him a bit of grief, as were my two bites, by now. Fortunately nobody in today's group happens to be highly allergic to these stings otherwise it could have been pretty serious. I know of at least three hikers in our larger group who carry EpiPen kits, [EpiPen Auto-Injector is a disposable, pre-filled automatic injection device that administers epinephrine in the event of a severe allergic reaction.] for such eventualities. At any rate, we all survived and enjoyed a brief snack enjoying the view of Mahoney Lake. While munching our snacks, El Presidente pointed out, to those interested, the route he proposed we take to reach it. A few minutes later, we set off, making a fairly easy descent and then we were back on the flat, more or less for the rest of the outing. 

Quite soon after the ground leveled off we passed a tiny lake which Bogart enjoyed immensely, frolicking in the shallows at the pond's edge. Shortly thereafter we came upon a small, seemingly fairly well-traveled road and at the base the small hill we were skirting, our Fearless Leader ordered us up to enjoy lunch in the shade of the pines that grew near the top. I took out my sandwich and when I started munching on it, I noticed I could barely clench my right jaw. It wasn't inordinately painful but rather noticeably uncomfortable whenever I tried to chew on that side. I can only surmise that the wasp toxin from the bite on my neck below had so affected that side of my mouth. Can best describe it as something similar to how one feels when the freezing from prolonged dental work wears off. A nagging ache, not overly painful but tender if too much biting pressure is applied. [Fast forwarding ahead to when I actually put pen to paper, on Friday, the sting on my neck looks and feels like a small goitre. Not at all painful but I'm wondering how Faith has fared!]

Lovely spot for a rest and the pooches were happy to lie in the shade, Nala with her bowl of water. However, even after the short break, my tired legs still felt weary but I felt pretty good, overall, as the exertion required, compared to other hikes, had not been exhausting, more that my thigh muscles were not used to the climbs and my knees were not used to the descents. I can ride for two or three hours and not really feel a thing but two or three hours of continuous walking does take the punch out of my legs so there ws even more reason for me to always be the last in line for the remainder of the outing. Jimbo, St Kilian and Christophero were most attentive and one or more of them would always wait, at some point, to make sure I was not in difficulty or lagged too, too far behind. Certainly much appreciated, of course, but given the fairly open terrain and the obvious, wide trail/road, I'm pretty sure I could have made it to Mahoney by myself, had that been necessary.

Not long after we left our picnic spot we came to a cattle fence and three, rough and ready cowpokes, Antonio, Aarturo and Jimbo, waited patiently for Little Dogie Dunn to cross through before closing the gate. Down a fairly prolonged slope, the road quite rutted in the middle, to a find a gorgeous pond with a man-made berm at the west end which we used to cross over what would otherwise have been a ravine. Even saw evidence of a small floodgate apparatus of some sort and Bogart took this as another opportunity for a swim. And then another small pond and finally, after a short rise in the road, Mahoney came into view, (or "Baloney Lake" as St Kilian would have it!), and we could see Green Lake Road running around the south shore.

Wikipedia informed me that "Mahoney Lake is a meromictic saline lake and was established as an ecological reserve to preserve a southern interior saline lake, possessing unique limnological features in, 1972. It has a unique layering, where the very bottom of the lake is very salt rich and contains hydrogen sulphide (H2S), which facilitates the growth of the purple sulphur bacteria in the layer above it, where the bacteria has just enough light to grow. The upper layer of the lake consists of a mixing layer of fresh water. Mahoney Lake is alkaline because it features no inflow or outflow of water. The lake also contains very low levels of oxygen and an approximate pH of 7.5-9.0. The surface area of the lake is 18ha and the surface area of the land is 21ha, with combined total of 21 ha."

Must admit I was a tad dismayed to realize that there awaited one final climb, around the hill that is situated at the north end of the lake. A fence encircles the lake as BC Parks established it as an Ecological Reserve, otherwise a much shorter route to our waiting vehicle might well have been possible. Nonetheless, climb was not arduous and terrain levels off quite quickly to give glimpses of Mahoney through the pines. One more cattle guard and then unfettered access to the lake itself. Fence surrounds most of lake but not the top end. Jack Rabbit and Jimbo had taken a stroll to the water's edge as Nala wanted to go for another swim. I followed them a short way to snap a few pics so just a tiny climb back to road and I was at the gate which prevents vehicles from entering the reserve. Just in time to see Aarturo climbing into back seat of the shuttle vehicle that had been parked off Green Lake Road earlier.

Waited in the shade of the pines near the gate, chatting with St Killian about two of his most recent rides on the KVR, Myra Canyon Trestles to Penticton and Chute Lake to Penticton, for the ten or fifteen minutes it took for our drivers to return. It had been agreed that we would meet Tyrant Tinka and Jumpin' Jack at the pub in OK Falls so that is where we rendezvoused. Aforementioned were already holding court, on the balcony, when we arrived so after ordering our beverages of choice, we joined them. Enjoyed the pleasant enough surroundings while chatting about the hike and trying to decide upon the one for next Thursday. Not sure if consensus was achieved before we bade farewell to one and all. Jack Rabbit had stayed in the car with Nala so once we'd said goodbye to St Killian, who'd come to make sure Bogart was okay in the back of his truck, we headed for home. Robsons dropped me off at HH and I thanked them both for the wonderful, wonderful outing and waved goodbye.

I had imagined that I might pop into HH to take a look at Dust-Busters or other handheld vacuums as with new kittens I'd like to have something near their litter box, until we move it to the garage, to keep any of the litter that makes its way outside the box from being tracked all over the house. At any rate, by this time, all I wanted to do was peel off my hiking boots and socks, have a quick shower and then a long nap! Did just that, Dear Reader, and couldn't have been happier with my first hike since early June and the way I felt as I drifted off to sleep, even my bites forgotten! Map and Stats for hike:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1288588749#.V6O2aMws208.email


Hello Famiglia Dronkers! Glad you enjoyed the snaps and account of ride, Josinta. Wonderful outing indeed! You were missed on today's hike but am glad you were not along when we were "attacked" by wasps! Obviously, a serious issue for you. The two stings I received are still a tad sore but slight discomfort is gradually abating. Wonder how poor Faith is doing as she had about 18 stings!
 

[Look what Colin and Gail got!!! What a cutie!] Here is the address for Elaine and Ted Keating. I will be staying there, with Chloë, (She is house-sitting while they are away for a week.), this coming Tuesday night, (Perhaps Wednesday night as well, but not sure yet as I'll see what time I'm out of clinic after seeing my orthopedic surgeon. Funnily enough his office called while I was hiking to have me call back to see about a surgery date in September. When I called office I reminded his receptionist that I'm seeing him this coming Wednesday so she said to wait until after consultation. Might well be having surgery, if I am to have it, a couple of months sooner than I had expected!), so I'm happy to deliver card if you want. Not a big deal but let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar and her two kittens, Etta and Duke, in front! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: They were sleeping here when I returned from hike. Not sure what I'm going to do after I have my hip replaced as they seem to like the raised cushion I am supposed to use after surgery!
  


Wait...is Duke wearing a harness to go for a walk? Hi Tinsel Town! They are both wearing harnesses in order to have them become accustomed to them, in preparation for taking them outside, initially, just around the patio and in the front yard until they get to know their postal code! Chloë and Cat Woman had them on the patio for a short while on Tuesday but they both just sat under a chair for most of the time. Today, however, they seem quite interested in going outside again. Will put them on leashes later, after Victor has finished romancing your Mother! Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! How are my sibs????I miss the baby cats!!! Pictures please, what did they get up to today?

Hi Tubing-Envy Girl and Singles Squash Man! Dangereuse, you need to come back up to Penticton and we'll go tubing on the Channel! Congrats on still playing singles, Wild Bill, even if you can't beat a younger, overweight Aussie! Glad you enjoyed the Pride Parade. Last time I was at one such event was in Sydney in 2003. Quite a spectacle I must say! Thought of you both twice on Tuesday adn Wednesday as I rode to Naramata, and beyond, starting up Vancouver Hill and passing Perseus on way to Naramata Road. Haven't had much to drink for a few days as we had such a busy social life ever since you left that I'm happy to drink water for awhile! Fondestos from Lady Dar and her two kittens, Etta and Duke! Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment