Tuesday 16 August 2016

Spiller Road Bidding Blues: Tuesday, August 16th!

It is fortunate to be of high birth, but it is no less so to be of such character that people do not care to know whether you are or are not. -Jean de la Bruyere, essayist and moralist (16 Aug 1645-1696)



That's great that a hike happened yesterday! Thanks Kilian. Unfortunately I couldn't make it but I'm glad a group of you went. I'm gone again next week (so is Phil and Tony) so if someone wants to lead a hike on Aug. 22 and Aug. 29 please reply all to this message and organize it! I'll be back to my hike organizing duties in September. Pam

Had a hard time getting ready for my ride this morning as I was glued to the TV watching Sweden play Brazil in the Women's soccer semi-final. What a nail-biter with a shoot-out to decide victor. I felt it was over when the last Brazilian didn't score and then the Swedes did. I felt nothing but extreme compassion for the young woman who missed as I know she felt but for her the team would have advanced to the Gold Medal Final. Only saw the first 20 minutes or so of Canada vs Germany but had an uncomfortable feeling about their play and the final outcome when they allowed a penalty shot to go behind 0/1. 

Had my own work to do so wished the Canucks well and set out for PTC at around 12:30 pm. According to AccuWeather, wind was once again blowing at 13 kph N to 13 kph NNE to 13-17 NE over the time I would be out so I determined that it was Naramata for me. Once up Vancouver I did two quick loops of Middle Bench to have around 11 km on the clock by the time I was on Naramata Road. Wind wasn't quite as much of a hindrance s I had anticipated so I breezed long and before I knew it I was soon at the first cattle guard on the way to Chute Lake. Turned around here and quite enjoyed having the wind as an ally now. Decided to forgo a number of loops of Middle Bench on the way back as I had decided I'd do any necessary loops at PTC. Did just that when I was there and then back up Ellis. Home with an AVG 0f 22.4, one kph slower than yesterday but I suppose the added hills on Naramata Road accounted for that. Anyway, the views were stupendous so not a bad trade-off. Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1307251521#.V7OS0IYDr_w.email

For most of you this is likely a duplication of the mail I sent to Pam’s list of hikers and associates. However, for those of you who are not on her list, here is the same message:Sorry, everybody, I forgot to include Pam's message and clarify that she is talking about Aug. 22 and 29 Our hike, which I am talking about is this Thursday, Aug. 18. Greetings to all: Many people, incl Pam and Jim F, are away. There are, however, a few who would like to go hiking, so here is my suggestion: Let's meet this Thursday at 9:00, at the usual place in Summerland Carpool to km 4 past Faulder, on Summ-Princeton rd Follow Jud who will take us to one of his favourite places on Bald Range This is a "Slow Farts" style of outing Easy, 3-4 hrs max Any keeners and speeders are welcome, but they will make a trip of their own Al

No comments:

Post a Comment