Sunday 21 August 2016

Back-in-the-Saddle Again: Sunday, August 21st!

I’d prefer to die on my feet than to live on my knees. -Charb (pen name of Stéphane Charbonnier), caricaturist and journalist (21 Aug 1967-2015) 


Hello Birthday Goil, et al! Trust you and Krissy had a safe trip back to Vancouver and then to Sunshine Coast. After we waved goodbye, on Saturday morning, we went to the Farmer's Market and enjoyed being there a bit earlier as day was already heating up! Had plenty of sympathy from Leigh, at Balsamic Bliss, when I showed her my tarmac sandpaper rash! She was tickled that she couldn't even evade us when you saw her riding on the KVR Thursday morning with Hailey. Back home for a bite of lunch and then a nap. Around 2:00 pm we headed out to Bench 1775 as Sandee, from Book Club, was performing there. Stopped at both Black Widow and Terravista, en route, as I needed to give both wineries my new Visa card #. Red release, (already paid for earlier), was ready so I collected that at Black Widow and picked up three bottles of 2015 Fandango, latest release, at Terravista.

We had a great table on patio at Bench 1775 and enjoyed listening to Sandee, (double bass and guitar), and Dave, (guitar), for over an hour, sipping a very tasty Sauvignon Blanc, very much to my liking as it is reminiscent of magnificent ones from Rancho Sisquoc. Colonel Klink and a contingent of the Flatlanders were there so we had a grand time visiting with them as well. Home to watch last few exciting events of the Olympics and an early dinner before heading to bed to read. My shoulder feels pretty good, I'm pleased to say, but I did feel sleepy around 10:00 pm. Had a bit of a restless sleep as I had limpet kittens attached to me for most of the night! 


For those not attending, Chloë's 40th birthday, [Lynne and Peter thank you both for all the incredible wine and produce and help!], on Thursday was quite a full, busy day. Her friend, Krissy, was up with her, and they and Lady Dar went for a walk along the KVR, west side of Skaha, while i went for a short ride in the morning. Back home to shower and change and then we went to Play Estate, a recently opened winery, just above 97 South on the bluffs, past the airport. Only been open for about two months. We happen to know the architect, Rob McKenzie, as he designed Lynne's/Peter's fabulous home in Naramata. Rob also designed Burrowing Owl and Spirit Ridge. He told us about his latest project back in May when Lynne hosted Peter's fantastic 70th at Legend Distillery, in Naramata. Restaurant has received top reviews so Lady Dar was anxious to try it out!

We had a lovely, boozy lunch and then home for naps for everyone. Had to get ready around 5:00 pm as Lynne and Peter were coming for Chloë's birthday dinner. He is just back from two weeks in Kazakhstan and very lucky indeed as he was involved in a head-on collision after first week! Someone pulled out to pass in a construction zone. Fortunately. nobody was killed or seriously injured although the driver who caused the accident had both legs badly injured with open fractures, I gather! Peter hurt his shoulder/neck a bit, probably from seat belt, but nothing overly serious, although he was stiff and sore when first back home. Wonderful, wonderful evening with everyone pitching in to help with dinner: Jugos did a stellatr job at the grill with steaks, Lady Dar's flagship Feta potatoes and yellow, acorn zucchini and Krissy's tremendous Caesar, followed by a the gluten-free, orange-chocolate cake, slathered with fresh raspberries and whipped cream, (no candles!), for dessert. More than enough wine so loads and loads of fun. We even made so much noise that neighbours across the back lane came over to see what all the fuss was about. Stormin' Norman had just proposed to Rachelle so we tasted them and had quite a few laughs before we sent everyone home and turned in ourselves.

The next morning The Sisterhood was moving pretty slowly, let me tell you! I had arranged to go for a bike ride with Jack Rabbit Slims, one of my hiking friends, so we left for OK Falls at 9:15 am. Wind pushed us along so we made quick work of Eastside and McClean Creek Road, riding up Maple as far as the top of the hill where Oliver Ranch Road starts. Back down to Maple and then onto Eastside to make for home. Wind was only blowing at about 6 kph N so not much of an impediment. Was making such terrific time that I wanted to try to maintain an AVG of 23 kph. Since Gilliana fell behind on last stretch before we reached South Main I decided I'd "circle" in the parking lot at the marina at Skaha Lake Park. Unfortunately, I was going at a pretty good clip when I made a left-hand swoop into the lot and realized, too, too late that there was a carpet of fine sand across the driveway, (probably from the trailers and boats launched thereabouts), and my bike slid away from me! Also more than extremely annoyed that I made quite a mess of the left arm, near my wrist, of the wonderful long-sleeved T-shirt Cora Lee had given me a month or so ago. It is UV resistant and cool to wear even in quite hot weather. Very chewed up and tattered so will probably have to cut worst off. Palm of my left riding glove has a large chunk out of it as well. Anyway, could have been worse, of course.

Went down reasonably painfully on my left side, the tarmac sandpapering my left leg and ankle. Wasn't overly concerned about the blood and abrasions but I knew my shoulder had sustained a nasty jolt. I didn't break anything, collar bone and such, but it is very sore and hurt to move in certain directions. Jack Rabbit was surprised that I was off my bike and waiting as she knows I never stop to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground! Took a few minutes to compose myself and then I rode the remaining 5 km home, (dipsy-doodling en route so that I could log the distance I had assumed I'd log in the marina lot!), to have Chloë take a few snaps of my visible injuries! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1311577523#.V7nSKIIt1p4.email

Hopped into shower almost immediately and washed everything off and then Lady Dar put Polysporin on my cuts and ice on my shoulder before they left to go tubing on the channel. I took two Advils and slept well for almost two hours, waking up to feel much, much better. Shoulder was still sore and some tender, restricted movement but not as bad I as I feared it might be. I'll see the doctor early this coming week if things don't start to sort themselves out but I hope it will be nothing more than nasty pulls and strains. The Goils weren't back from tubing so I drove myself to the barber as I had an appointment at 3:00 pm. Back home to nap on the couch and watch Olympic coverage until the gals were home. They took off, almost immediately, to go wine-tasting. Krissy and Chloë were leaving the next morning so we enjoyed the last dinner of visit: chicken burgers on the bbq, local corn-on-the-cob and tomatoe/basil salad, latter all from our garden!

Anyway, trust all goes well with everyone. Plan to have a bite to eat shortly and then it's back-in-the-saddle again! Not sure where or how far I'll ride. Will wait and see how I feel once on the road. Planning to hike tomorrow so I probably shouldn't push things today. Fondestos from Lady Dar, reading on the patio with her leashed kittens, both in the process of tangling themsleves around as many table and chair legs as possible! Cheers, from an Older but not necessarily Wiser Patrizzio!

Pics: DIY to yourself, sandpapering! Bench 1775: Sandee; Colonel Klink, Lady Dar and Kissing Cousin, Michelle Dunn; Sandee and Dave; view from patio; Feta Cat enjoing last night's salad before I was able to get to spray bottle! As soon as we pick it up,  they high-tail it so no need to even mist them!

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1315082350#.V7o53QkxEr8.email

Hi Patrick, Excellent chronicle of Chloe’s birthday party and other activities. Sorry to hear that you created your own Kazakhstan here in the valley. Your slow-speed injuries sound much worse than mine from the high-speed collision. Hope your shoulder isn’t badly damaged. Thanks again to Corinne for the wonderful birthday dinner. Cheers, Peter 

Hi Kayla and Senna! Enjoyed your visit. So did Etta and Duke even if they were a bit stand-offish. I'm sure they'll get to know you both very soon. Cheers, Patrizzio! Oh my kittens!! xx Patrick, no pictures, I thought you were the camera man. Gary Hi Gary! If you click on the link, "Etta and Duke Have Visitors" in the attachment below the text message you should be redirected to the album in question. I'm not sure what happens with a Smart phone, in these circumstances, however. Let me know what happens. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment