Tuesday 30 August 2016

Norfolk Pines Blues: Tuesday, August 30th!

The term 'working mother' is ridiculously redundant. -Donna Reed, actress (1921-1986) 


Just want to see whether some or all of you would be interested to hike to Divide Lake on Thursday. I can then send out a note to all. Please let me know. Thank you! Cheers, Aart

Hi Aarturo! Thanks again for the stationary cycle! I asked my neighbour, Stormin' Norman, across back lane, to help me take it from the pick-up truck bed into our Rumpus Room. All went very well so thanks so much!

With respect to the hike, our friends, Kathleen and Steve, will still be staying. How strenuous a hike will it be? They might be interested, depending on terrain, etc. If you will be home this evening perhaps we can chat about possibilities, etc. If they are not interested or you think it will be very demanding then I, unfortunately, will not be able to join hike if it transpires. I'd dearly like to go as it will certainly be the last possible outing, of its kind, for me, before surgery.

We are off to Little Shushwap on Friday, until Monday. Meeting Chloë, (She is driving up tomorrow.), in Kelowna, probably around noon +/-, to visit Myra Canyon. I will ride the trestles while The Sisterhood will walk part of them. St Kilian had mentioned, a few hikes ago, that the KVR, from end of trestles to Chute Lake, (as I think you know as well), is pretty rough so that is why I plan to do a loop of trestles only. Anyway, let me know what you think about possible hike and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!Pics: Bike waiting for post-surgery rides! Table and chairs and Norfolk Pine, from Dorothy. Guillermo very kindly was delivery man again today!

 
Modern hairshirts are made of sackcloth
Photo: Cilice.co.uk
Hi Patrick, It is all on trails, about 10-11 km return, 3-4 hours, not difficult. Altitude gain about 500m. I think you can do it, and .. we can take our time. Pam has already said she will come. Aarturo No attachments? No new kitten pics?? Hello again everyone! Oops! Thanks, Chloë! Here are the snapolas! With respect to hike, Aarturo, I was more concerned about my friends and their ability to handle hike. What do you think? Cheers, Forgetful Patrizzio/Dad!

Hi Patrick, I hope that you’re having a great summer! I wanted to connect you with Dave Mason, the Dram’s Whisky Curator and point person for the auction item that you purchased (a seat at the President’s table for the Scotch Malt Whisky Society). Dave is on Salt Spring until Labour Day, but wanted me to connect the both of you to ensure that you receive your auction item. All the best, Andrew


Hi Andrew and Dave! Thanks for the message. Has been a very busy summer but loads of fun with hiking, wine-tasting and many, many visitors. 

Image: retrorocket/Shutterstock
Not quite sure when the seat at the President's Table is scheduled for but I will be undergoing hip-replacement surgery, at UBC, on September 14th, and then back to recuperate in Penticton, I trust by September 16th, all going well. I assume I may well be able to travel, more easily, towards the middle of September and my wife and I will be volunteering at the Vancouver Writers Festival from October 17th to 23rd. I trust this gives you a better idea of my coming schedule or is there something else I need to do? Please let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Tummler, hope this finds you well. We are wanting to check in with the The Reach and thought we might call ya. Let us know when that might work for you with your hectic social calendar. Word on the street: there will be another operation on your hip in the offing shortly. We wanna know know your plans around that so we can see you before or after and talk about travel nexter year.

We have had a fun summer full of guests and mostly play. Work to finish house is deferred to next week when Jane returns to work. Look forward to catching up. Fond regards to all, W&CJ&M


Hello Calamity and Whirlygig, et al! Great to hear from you. Have been wondering how life across the Salish Sea has been. Sounds quite like our busy lives. Have been meaning to send along a message ever since I saw Cudgel Man when I was in town for a consult with Clive Duncan, the Hippster! Surgery is scheduled for September 14th so we will be in Vancouver on Sunday, September 11th to have dinner and stay the night with Stanchion Man and Marilyn. I have a couple of pre-op appointments before surgery on Wednesday so perhaps we can connect if you will be in town.

Over the days I was in The Big Smoke, dropped by to see Raymondo and Sylvia. Carters were out but I thought of breaking in to steal a loaf and a jar. Ragin' seemed to be doing pretty well but since I saw him his Dad is back in hospital so he has his plate full, especially with his own on-going medical issues. Had a wonderful evening with Glasgow and Ben Cartwright after we spent a hour or so with John Donaldson, The Eggman. The four of us had wonderful, wonderful  doubles matches, regularly, every Saturday afternoon, over a number of years, about 26 years ago, until John had his first hip-replacement!

Loads more to tell. Just back from bridge in Summerland. Fab hike yesterday. Kathleen and Steve, friends from Melbourne arrived yesterday to stay in Naramata with Lynne and Peter. We had dinner there last night and will "collect" them tomorrow at tasting at Laughing Stock and then they will spend next two nights with us.


We are off to Little Shushwap on Friday, until Monday. Meeting Chloë, (She is driving up tomorrow.), in Kelowna, probably around noon +/-, to visit Myra Canyon. I will ride the trestles while The Sisterhood will walk part of them. Friend, St Kilian, had mentioned, a few hikes ago, that the KVR, from end of trestles to Chute Lake is pretty rough so that is why I plan to do a loop of trestles only.

We will be home until around 10:15 am tomorrow morning so you could call beforehand, if convenient. Otherwise we will be having dinner here , in the evening, so you can catch us then. Have two new playmates for Morita, Duke and Etta. Should be fun watching he dynamics! Fondestos from Lady Dar to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Hip visit; Bridge Babes: from top left, Spamela, Spumoni, Lady Dar, Jack Rabbit Slims, Josinta; view from bridge table; fabulous bridge prize!


Hi OF's, This Thursday the plan is to hike to Divide Lake in Okanagan Mountain
Provincial Park. We have done this before, beautiful hike and lake. The
last time we were there, some took a dip, but nobody got arrested! This
is not a difficult hike, just longer than a typical Monday hike.

We will do the usual, meet at 8:00AM at Home Hardware in Penticton. The
Summerlanders can meet at 7:40AM at the IGA then carpool to the HH in
Penticton. After the hike we can enjoy refreshments likely somewhere in
Penticton, TBD.

Because the trail head is on the access road off Chute Lake Road we may
need high clearance vehicles. So, if you plan to come and you have a
one, please bring it. Much appreciated. Look forward seeing you on Thursday!
Cheers, Aart Dronkers
Patrizzio, You have done this beautiful hike before, I have a photo of you and Ken Mayert on top of the mountain (smiling)! See you Thursday. Hugs, Aarturissimo! If they have any of your determination it should be no problem, but I guess just give them the data I gave you and they can make an informed decision. It is a nice hike though. Aarturo


 

No comments:

Post a Comment