Saturday 27 August 2016

Balsamic Bliss But No Show Blues: Saturday, August 27th!

Even in the worm that crawls in the earth there glows a divine spark. When you slaughter a creature, you slaughter God. -Isaac Bashevis Singer, Writer, Nobel laureate (1904-1991)


Hi Dearest Donna Maria and Handsome Heraldo! Must apologize but we've been meaning, for some time, to send along a message inquiring about just what we might have that you are able to eat comfortably when you come for dinner. We'd like to offer as many things, if at all possible, that you can consume so please let us know what might be appropriate. We know you had been on liquids for a goodly part of your treatment but wonder if that has changed somewhat now.

At any rate, we are certainly looking forward to seeing you both, although Duke and Etta are even more excited about your visit! They can hardly wait and are sharpening their claws in gleeful anticipation. We are off to the Farmer's Market shortly. Bit cooler here, today, so far. Funnily enough, one begins to look forward to rain when living here, especially when there are a number of wildfires, (small, thankfully, so far at least!), fairly close by: Kaleden, Peachland and West Bank, now West Kelowna but I knew it as former!

Again, let us know about your food group needs and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Duke and Etta lurking with Lady Dar on the patio!


Patrick I didn't see your email until after I called. Thank you to Corinne and yourself for asking about food. I am still on Ensure despite wanting to eat real food SO BADLY. Food tastes awful and it sticks to my mouth due to my saliva glands being compromised.

Saw the doctor, oncology dentist and nutritionist this past week and they said the healing was going as expected. I will have a PET Scan at the end of October and a follow up with the the doctor two weeks later to find out if the treatment worked or not. Corinne said you are off to get a new hip mid September. That seems fairly quick which is nice. You are amazing considering all you do on your bike and hiking despite a poor hip. We trust it will be as successful as your first one. We were truly sorry we didn't get to visit. Cheers, Dawn

Patrick, we expect to leave here around 0900 Monday. We'll call you tomorrow anyway. Here is Gramma's # We're keen to swim and walk, and visit. Incidentally we plan to catch up w friends Nancy and Les too. Lovely day at Dan n Leslie's cabin @ Roberts Creek yesterday. Look forward to relaxing w you all. S@K Hello Naramatia! This is the latest. Will let you know more after we talk to them domani. Off to The Farmer's Market now! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Strolled down to the Farmer's Market around 11:00 am this morning and enjoyed chatting with many of the vendors we've come to know. Also saw Jake flogging his books. [He and Vittoria are also volunteering for Challenge.] While on Front Street we stopped in at The Dream Café to book a table for September 8th. Chloë, our daughter who lives in Vancouver, will be back up and we'll see Harpdog Brown & the Travelin' Blues Show. Really looking forward to show as I am a fan of the harmonica. At any rate, after market, on the way home, we popped by to see Guillermo and Nancy, his wife, also a Flatlander. Guillermo has very kindly agreed to help me bring back the stationary bike which Famiglia Dronkers has very generously offered me for my post-hip replacement rehab. His pick-up is undergoing repairs at the moment but he expects to have it back on Monday.

Then home to have a delicious nap for an hour. Hard to have an undisturbed sleep with Kittens from Hell thundering around our bedroom from 6:00 am on! Woke up just as Under the Influence started so I remained stretched out until the program was over. I am much taken with Terry O'Reilly and his approach. One of my absolute favourites on CBC. Once Terry signed off I started to ready myself for the coming ride. Needed to recharge my camel-pack and water bottle so once they were both filled I put on my sun-block and UV shirt, the one with the tattered and torn left sleeve. Have not worn it since my fall a week ago so I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't bring bad luck today!
 
Was ready to ride by 2:30 pm and since the windsock in the neighbour's yard indicated the wind was out of the south I decided to head to OK Falls, preferring to fight a head wind at the outset. [Little did I know that when I set out the wind gods were already conspiring against me as the direction was in the process of shifting, around 2:00 pm, from 18 kph SSE to 9 kph W, to settle at 19 kph WNW at 3:00 pm, gusting to 31 kph, then at 4:00 pm, 24 kph NW, gusting to 43 kph!] I knew something was wrong as soon as I'd made the PTC loop and, once back up Ellis, was heading down Government. Had expected the wind to be in my face but it wasn't!

Nothing to be done so I continued down Eastside, taking McClean Creek into OK Falls. Did a quick dipsy-doodle to the beach front before heading out Maple to hit Oliver Ranch. Made for Blue Mountain before doing the Stag's Hollow loop and then another beach loop before back on Eastside. Quite protected there until one is past turn-off to Blasted Church and then I was forcefully blasted myself, immediately reminding me how much I dislike fighting a fierce headwind home. Quite a grind but I persevered, cursing Aeolus all the way along Eastside and then up South Main. Was happy to keep my AVG at 21.4 kph, under the circumstances, and also pleased that I have now calibrated this particular 61 km ride for future reference. Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1324226044#.V8I5ixWT0Lk.email

Trust all goes well with Challenge tomorrow and you can tell me all about it on Monday. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Aart has come up with a great suggestion to do Vaseux bluffs again. We did it last in February (I missed it). So we will meet at Home Hardware in Penticton at 9 am and Summerlanders can carpool at 8:40 am at the IGA parking lot. Pam 

Yes…its all good no matter where you ride Patrick. Friday Rob and I volunteered on the Challenge mountain bike ride through the 3 blind mice course. We arrived just in time to see the competitors coming down through the rocky course but the good news only one serious injury near the end of the race where a middle age rider crashed and injured his elbow. We got him out OK using ATV assistance then onto the ambulance. I rode the downhill part to my location then the rest of the way out after the competition. I was likely the slowest on the course and definitely the oldest!

Tomorrow we first aid on the Challenge Road race for a good part of the day or until its done…….are you going in the Challenge Road Race? If so let me know your bib number so I can watch for you. I will most likely be driving the sex machine Miata with a medical sign of some sort attached and touring the course looking for possible injuries. I’m also planning to hike with OF group on Monday……………..Cheers, Kilian

Hi Everyone, This particular list of our travel club subscribers may have been hacked from someone. We received a couple of emails this a.m. from our readers. Please ignore anything coming from us with any email other than  regular address. Unfortunately these things happen. We apologize for any inconvenience and are working to rectify the situation. Thanks, Charlie

Hello Little White and Irascible Ricardo! Trust you are both well. Has been a busy summer, probably the same for you, I'm sure. Thanks again for the wonderful invitation to cabin. With respect to the long-weekend, Chloë will be coming back up to cat-sit, [New kittens, Etta and Duke, from SPCA, a day or so after August long-weekend!], while we are with you folk. As of this point, not sure when she will arrive, (Imagine/hope it will be Thursday.), but in any event, I don't think we'll leave until Friday. We are also planning to meet Chloë in Kelowna on our way back from "Paradise" as we'd like to visit the Myra Canyon Trestles. I'll ride, The Sisterhood will walk. This means that we will probably leave after a reasonably early breakfast on Sunday morning, unless Chloë will be staying later that coming week. Details to follow as soon as more dates are confirmed.

I just hung up the phone, talking to Oasis, at UBC/VGH, to confirm the date for my left hip-replacement, September 14th. Trees around trestles are getting to be so high, according to a number of friends from hiking group, that if one wants an unimpeded view of stunning canyons, etc, one needs to visit this Fall as by next year the route will likely be a virtual tunnel. Given my coming surgery and logistics, long-weekend presents best opportunity, at least for me, on all fronts. At any rate, as I mentioned it has been a wonderful, wonderful summer.  Cheers, from an Older but not necessarily Wiser Patrizzio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment