Thursday 25 August 2016

Time For a Long Ride Blues: Thursday, August 25th

A certain amount of opposition is a great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with, the wind. -John Neal, author and critic (25 Aug 1793-1876


Patrizio! Very good as always to hear from you! Sorry to hear you can’t oversee Studio 1398 this year but FABULOUS news that Corrine and Julia are interested. I am sure they wouldn’t have to do ALL the shifts, and with luck let’s hope the set-up is easier this year, supplies more ready etc. 

Sitting down, you could tell tix at the door for Studio 1398 events. Let me know if you have any interest in doing that. This year we are changing our box office ticketing….using the same system as the Fringe, i.e. Theatre Wire. The vols process ticket orders using iPads. If you can handle that, let me know, sooner rather than later, and/or sign up for Studio 1398 box office shifts.

Also very sorry to hear about your biking calamity last Friday. Funnily enough, last weekend I was in Kaleden for a family wedding and I had ‘misadventure’ ending up in abrasions to my leg, to say nothing of demolished dignity. Believe it or not I fell into a small pond only 2.5 feet deep and only about 2.5 wide, although maybe 4 fee long, went under and hit my leg on a rock, somehow managing to avoid slamming my head into a rock lining the pond. This was all in the dark while I was carrying a glass of white wine in my right hand and my phone in my left. Apparently I looked like a drowned rat afterwards. The B&B landlord said something about Faulty Towers and my new daughter-in-law yelled out, “But we’re all sober!” I didn’t take any photos, be assured.

Hope things are well and that you recover completely and that we hear back from you and Cora soon about the extent and nature of volunteering you can take on this year!


Kaleden Katzenjammer Klutz and VWF 2016! Hello Big Fish in a Small Pond Woman! Sorry to hear about your accident, Drowned Rat! Glad to hear that injuries were not serious. I think we should go on a road show as the Traveling Thomson and Thompson Twins. We seem ti have the credentials for all the pratfalls! Lady Dar wants to know if you spilled your wine! She would have sacrificed her I-phone for wine, without question!

I'm delighted to sell tickets at the door of Studio 1398, [Can I use an I-abacus?] and Lady Dar is more than fine to look after the bar. She'll send Julia a message to let her know about slight change. I'm sure she'll be keen to sell hootch as she polished off the dregs last year! Cora Lee and I will both complete the volunteer profile shortly. Thank you for your good wishes. Starting to feel stronger and not as stiff.
Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

YES tell Lady Dar I did spill my wine. I heard the glass break as I went under. It would be great if you could sell tickets at Studio 1398. You cannot use an Abacus! You will have to be comfortable using an iPAD. Can we count on you for that? I look forward to your shift sign-ups/bids. Please tell Corinne to sign up/bid for 1398 host shifts as she sees fit. It would be great to have her and Julia on the same shifts. She doesn’t have to do the marathon as in years past. There are other people now “trained” or at least “shadowed” in the role.

My better half grew up in Summerland so I am familiar with Trout Creek. Also my sister lives in Penticton and my mother lived in the South OK for years (Sage Mesa, nr the West Bench, Kaleden and then finally on Manor Park Road near the arts centre). Will bid you a fond adieu. Please update your registration ASAP and sign up/bid for shifts as you can!! Kathryn 


Hi again, Kathryn! Lady Dar said she will give you lessons, during the VWF, on how to keep your wine glass aloft, under every possible circumstance! Furthermore, given your strong connection to The Okanagan, why have you not yet visited us?

At any rate, we both updated our registration so you should have that information. [I'm sure you'll let us know what we've done wrong!!!] I assume I will receive a bit of instruction on ticketing with the iPad since you won't allow an abacus! Have not yet worked out when we will hit town but certainly the weekend before the Festival begins. On the other hand, we will be in Vancouver for a few days before my operation on September 14th. Perhaps I could pop by and have an initial overview session. I have used an iPad and owned two before I gave them to our daughters! Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

 

Had imagined that I'd be up reasonably early this morning but didn't manage to clamber out of bed until 8:30 am! Readied a quick mug of java and then phoned Michelle at Oasis to talk about the surgical date, September 14th, for my left ip replacement. She is very helpful and friendly so was pleased with everything when I hung up the phone. Unless something changes I will have my two pre-op session on September 13th so we'll have to decide when we are heading into Vancouver and where we'll stay until I go into hospital. 

Once that was settled I had a delicious bowl of Greek yogurt with some of the grapes Peggy had brought for Book Club last week. They have remained very crisp as I've kept them in the fridge. Then I suited and lubed up and set out about 10:50 am. Again, I knew I would have to deal with fairly strong wind 15-20 kph N so I opted, yet again to ride into it at the outset. Therefore made for PTC, Lakeshore and Riverside. Then it was three loops of Red Wing East so I had almost a quarter of my ride under my belt when I turned off 97 onto Wharf Road.

From past rides I know most of the distances between various points at Trout Creek so I decided I'd engage in extendo dipsy-doodleage between Wharf Road and the RV Campground. (4.5-5 km), just before the new bike/pedestrian path on 97. Did about seven of these loops, plus three shorter ones from the RV park back to Landry Crescent, (2 km), before heading to Crescent Beach itself. Had about 64 km on the clock when I hit the bike path so I knew I'd have about 83-84 km on my odometre when I was finished the Crescent Beach loop, (6.5 km each way). By th etime I was back on 97, heading south I had logged 88 km
 so I knew I was in good shape. However, didn't make up as much speed as I had hoped so was only cruising at an AVG of 23.3 kph when I was back on Riverside. [Didn't need to do any loops at Red Wing West as my distance was just what I wanted it to be by then.

However, ran into a bit of a road block when back on Lakeshore as the streets were starting to be readied for the different Challenge Penticton event which would take place at 4:00 pm. Had to retrace my steps and snake through various side streets before I was back on Ellis and making for White. Lost a bit of speed doing this but managed to keep my AVG at 23.1 kph so was grateful for that indeed. Quite a way to try to avoid the worst of a nasty head-wind. Hope it will blow out of the south over the next few days as I'd like to hit Black Sage Road, not having ridden there in a month or more. Still, pleased as punch to have pushed the distance over 100 km, especially after my sandpapering and wrenched shoulder of last Friday! Hip Hip Hooray! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1321171530#.V793pDNcKL4.email  

Thank you Corinne and Patrick for the delicious pizza and salad. Great door prizes and a good game of bridge as well. Next week, my house, just bridge and nibbles, and maybe a glass of wine for the wine lovers in our group😉 Cheers,. Jos

Hello Josinta and Pearly Whites! Lovely evening indeed so thanks for everything. I'll send out a message about bridge and nibblage at your place next Tuesday., 6:30 pm-7:00 pm start. Ok? Thanks for hosting.

I was just about to send along a message about the stationary bike as I've now received final confirmation of the date for my left hip replacement, September 14th. This being the case, I'm wondering when would be the best time to come and collect it. I've left a message for Guillermo as I'd like to ask him if he will take me to your place in his pick-up. If he is not around or available do you think it will fit into our vehicle? The back seats go down and we have hauled quite a few large items in the past. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Patriziozo, You missed a great ride from Penticton to the end of Vasseux Lake (+/- 60k) and back. Not clear why you did not come. At least your dutch friends missed you. Anyways, anytime you want to pick up the cyclomotoromagnetico is fine with us, but it has to be before September 4, after that we're off camping for 2 weeks. It may be tight in your car. It is high 136cm, and wide 60cm. You have to lift it with 2 grown-ups. We are super eager to read your story and see your pictures of the folk-fest AND the Wild horse/Rattlesnake Mtn hike!! Don't slack off now ... Talk soon, Aartissimo and Jollyboob

Hi Dear Dutch Friends! Sounds as if I did miss a wonderful ride indeed, especially if you rode to the end of Vaseux. I've never done the stretch beyond OK Falls so I need to hear about directions, etc. Haven't heard from Guillermo so I wonder if he is out of town. I'll have to see if I can rustle up another pick-up. Have a couple of calls I can make but I'm pretty sure I should be able to come up with something before September 4th.

For my part I wanted to go for a fairly longish ride although I had contemplated joining you folk. Will be in touch as soon as I've found a pick-up. Fondestos from Lady Dar, knitting with Michelle Dunn, at her place, as I scribe. Will start editing Rattlesnake snapolas as soon as I've posted this messagio! Folk Fest, I hope, to work on this weekend! Cheque's in the mail. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Two of the reasons I'm behind on my Field Reports!!!

Hello again, Digitale and Fingare! Have good friends here, Pam and Bill Webster, (She is part of hiking/bridge group), who will be visiting Portland in the middle of October and  would like to know the name of reasonably priced hotels in downtown Portland, as well as sights that they should take in during visit. Since we have always enjoyed your lavish hospitality, I'm at a loss as to where they might look. Any suggestions for both hotels and sight-seeing tips? [Squash and wine-tasting are all I know!] Hints much appreciated. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you for hosting next week Jos. I'll bring wine. Patrick and Corinne I will drive. Pam Patrick, Thank you for the photos😊 would like to know the name of reasonably priced hotels in downtown Portland, as well as sights that we should take in during a visit to Portland. I hope that you had no upsets on your bike ride😊 Regards, Pam 

Hello again, Pamela! Have yet to hear from good friends, Marilyn and Mike Oliver, in Portland but will let you know when I do. Since we have always enjoyed their lavish hospitality, I'm at a loss as to where you might look, as far as sight-seeing is concerned: squash and wine-tasting were all I knew!

Thank you for agreeing to be the chauffeur next week. Much appreciated.I didn't manage Black Sage yesterday but I enjoyed a fairly longish ride today. 
Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Patrick, Sounds like a great ride today. I too will be snaking through the streets to get to work on Sunday. I am anticipating that it will be a challenge 😀 to cross Government St. To get to the VQA store. Not sure what east west route is available on Sunday. Have a great weekend! Pam

Words Of Wisdom Hi Jake! I always knew you were The Fount of All Wisdom! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Pat and Corinne,   Sorry to hear about your fall, but we hope you mend well.
We are thrilled about the arrival of your new kittens and look forward to meeting them in the future, however, the puppies are a bit nervous. We look forward to seeing you for however long or short your stay will be at the lake.
We are just happy to have you visit knowing very well that you have a hectic schedule of visitors while living in your Pentiction Paradise. See you soon! Ruth 



Hi Ruth, so we will be arriving on Friday and leaving Monday. If that works. What can we bring? Do you want us to do a brunch and one supper? or we can do 2 suppers. Of course we will bring wine etc. Looking forward to the visit,
Love Chloe Hi Corinne, We would love to do the dinners for you, but if you'd like to do breakfast/brunch that would be great! Ruth Hi Ruth, I will do breakfast/brunch on Sat. Sun. and Monday Looking forward to seeing you guys, Love Corinne Hi Corinne,  We will be going up on Thursday night after work

so we can have dinner ready and waiting for you on Friday. Ruth Thanks so much, looking forward to it all, Corinne







No comments:

Post a Comment