Sunday 7 August 2016

Peach Festival Bagpipe Blues: Saturday, August 6th!

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. -Joseph Joubert, essayist (1754-1824)


Patricio and Matt Yes let's plan for a ride and either day is good. Let me know when and were!!!!! Cheers BC

Great to hear from you both. Is GFA grandfathers of Africa?Anyway. Well done on the ride Patrick. Great to hear from you Ben. Hope you and Ellen had a nice cycle among the Trestles. I cannot make the Wednesday but could make the Tuesday later say around 5. For a cycle/coffee/beer. All 3? and on second thoughts forget the middle one. What do you think 0? Matt 


Hello Lads! No, Glasgow, GFA is the acronym for Gone For Alcohol! Wonderful to hear that we can arrange a ride! Tuesday will be fine for me. I'm hoping to leave Penticton fairly early that morning to put me in Vancouver between 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm, all going well with traffic, etc., so a 5:00 pm start works well for me. I will be staying at the Keatings on 7th and Bayswater so I was thinking that a ride along Point Grey/Spanish Banks out to UBC and environs and then back to stop in to see The Eggman or else before we make for UBC, if that is, in fact, where we decide to cycle. Not sure where either of you will be coming from so let me know what you think about a rendezvous point and we'll plan accordingly. I can meet pretty much anywhere but I suspect much of the Seawall is to be avoided, due to summer crowds, etc. Look forward to hearing "Your Ball!!!" Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: A few snaps from this Saturday's Farmer's Market and Peach Festival Parade! There was a piper at the market, two Saturdays ago, and I gave him $20 to stop playing! My hiking boot after Thursday's hike, first in two months! Lady Darjeeling tasting! Layton is a friend from library circles and does a bit of part-time work with Saxon Winery on Bottleneck Drive in Summerland. Giant kohlrabi from our front garden!!!

After spending a delightful couple of hours at the Farmer's Market we were back home by 12:30 pm. Had a bite to eat and then readied my camel-pack and water bottle for the coming ride. Jack Rabbit Slims popped by to see Lady Dar around 1:15 pm and shortly thereafter I headed out. Again, I let the the wind decide where I'd go. Furthermore, my thighs were quite stiff after Thursday's hike and although they felt pretty good when I woke up Saturday morning I really didn't wish to entertain any heavy duty hill climbs. This being the case, Summerland was the obvious choice, given that I'd ridden to Naramata twice earlier in the week.

Started off with PTC and once on Riverside did a few shot loops on the streets radiating off it before making for red Wind East. Did two loops of the entire complex before hitting 97 and making my way to Trout Creek. Wind, 13 kph N, wasn't quite a tough as I expected it to be and I was soon turning onto Wharf Street, making for Landry Crescent. The new bike/pedestrian lane, along 97, starts just past the entrance to the Summerland Beach RV & Campground but I decided I add a bit more distance to the odometre so I completed three loops of Thornber Street/Landry Crescent before heading to Lakeshore Drive S and Crescent Beach. 

Have calibrated this entire ride over the year or so that I've been riding it so I knew I'd have at least 40 km on the clock by the time I'd reached Crescent Beach. More loops here to have logged 45 km before I headed for home. Few short dipsy-doodles at the south end of Trout Creek before I caught the light on Johnson Road and I was humming along 97, making for Red Wing West. Four or five loops of this complex before rejoining 97 and then it was Riverside and home was in my sights! Needed a few dipsy-doodle loops on the loose rectangle formed by Riverside, Churchill, Power and Westminster before taking Lakeshore back to the PTC. Once that was done I had exactly the distance I needed to clock in with 81.5 km when I dismounted back home. Very, very pleased with ride although, at one point, I had entertained an AVG of 25 kph. Not to be. Guess my thighs were still tired! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1291679376#.V6kdt-VmLfc.email

Hi Patrick I don't know what i did with your address and tel# I checked high and low, can't find it. Lore and i are in Oliver from Aug.7-11, maybe we can stop by.

Reuven Townes Sanders Reuven is Hebrew: behold a son. We're calling him Reu. Townes: he was born to Townes Van Zandt live in Old Quarter, Houston.
Sanders because I have a very cool feminist husband who said "of course it should be Sanders-you're the one giving birth." All went well. David was the best birth partner. Declan was in the room for his brother's birth. Mama is feeling better than she has in 8 months;) Girlfriends: the TMI email to follow,) Thanks for all your well wishes. Maya, David, Declan and Reuven First family portrait a few mins post birth. 


Hi Patrick I don't know what i did with your address and tel# I checked high and low, can't find it. Lore and i are in Oliver from Aug.7-11, maybe we can stop by.
Hi Gisela and Lore! Trust you are both well. Delighted to hear from you! We would love to see you both, it goes without saying. I assume you are arriving in Oliver sometime today. If that is so I suppose you wouldn't want to drive up here for dinner this evening. If it works, however, please consider doing so. Tomorrow, I'm hiking until about 2:00 pm. Corinne will probably be around the house as we have two new kittens. Dinner on Monday evening is also a possibility if that works for you. 

Ironically, I'm driving into Vancouver, fairly early on Tuesday, as I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, to see about a left hip replacement, on Wednesday. I probably won't be back in Penticton until Thursday, August 11th, so perhaps we could connect then if you are heading north. You are welcome to stay overnight, as well, if you are interested in staying in Penticton for a bit. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: New kittens, Etta and Duke, in front. Corinne and Chloë went to the SPCA a week ago today.
Chloë was up for the long weekend. Saying goodbye, this past Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment