Sunday 7 August 2016

Etta and Duke Hard Nose The Highway Blues: Sunday, August 7th!

The strength of a language does not lie in rejecting what is foreign but in assimilating it. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, poet, dramatist, novelist, and philosopher (1749-1832)


Patrick, It was good to hear from you and I would agree that you have had a busy summer so far. It looks like you sure have a good time with your hiking / biking group. I admire your energy. As far as the cats go - no comment although I know that is not politically correct and I am sure they will bring great joy to your household. 

We arrived home on Thursday night and it was good to be back. I am still suffering from severe burns on my neck and thank goodness for Dr. Gerry who cleans, soaks and creams three times a day. I am still on a liquid Ensure diet despite trying some soft foods they still taste like paste. The end is in sight though as they said the 2 weeks following my last treatment would be rough. The care and attention I received at the Cancer clinic was beyond excellent and the last day many of them came to see me and wish me well.
 
We went to Couer d’Alene for the BC long weekend for a family reunion. It was excellent. My brother has a beautiful summer home there and lots of water toys, the weather was perfect, meals were outstanding and of course it is always fun to be around the young people. Stacee and Sean went kayaking each a.m.being the only young ones up. They came down with us along with Luda and were good company on the drive. My photo is of my two younger brothers (Grant and Terry) and me. My youngest brother who lives in Denver never came which was unfortunate and Jeff wasn’t able to come either. We were a group of 21 in total with one grandchild, a 4 year old, who of course was centre of attention and deservedly so.

Gerry is in a senior’s golf tournament this weekend and I am so glad as he certainly needs a break from me. The weather is perfect and the course is in good shape so all is well except his score is never what he would like it to be (what golfer’s is???).

Patrick is this the other hip that you are replacing or a repair job to the one you had done? You are pretty amazing that you can do all the physical things you do with a bad hip. We are back to Vancouver on the 23 for an appointment on the 25th and then we will drive home through the Okanagan we hope that we get to see you and Corinne. We will let you know our plans once they are finalized. Cheers, Dawn 


Chloe Alexis Dunn Dad, how are your stings? Was everyone ok in the end?? We're kittens happy to nap with you!?❤️😻😘
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn The reasonably considerable swelling from the two or three stings I received have now, a little more than two days later, started to dissipate. I have not heard how Faith is. The kittens love to curl up beside my head or arm when not on one of the many chairs they use!Chloe Alexis Dunn Umm Duke has litter on his nose!
Chloe Alexis Dunn

Chloe Alexis Dunn They look bigger already!! 😘❤️

Patrick James Dunn

Patrick James Dunn No he doesn't! Etta cleans him!

Patrick James Dunn

Patrick James Dunn Chloe Alexis Dunn You should hear them galloping in the morning and late evening! You'd think the wild horses we see on the hikes have invaded!

Hello Stefano and Kathleen! Must apologize for not replying sooner! No excuses but plenty of reasons, as I am, unfortunately, too often forced to admit. This time is was, legitimately, I can assure you, wall-to-wall Freeloaders! Nevertheless, wonderful, wonderful visits as I'm sure you understand. At any rate, coming up on Monday, August 29th, is just fine with us. This way you will be here before Peter leaves, on more business travel, post-September long weekend, as I understand it.

Of course, we would like you to stay with us, here at Burns Street, but have not spoken to Lynne and Peter about this. Il Palazzo di Naramata is not to be missed so you might wish to consider life with the hoi aristoi! Anyway, we can chat about where and when, with respect to accommodations, etc., when everyone has had a chance to think about your visit and what you would like to do.

Let everyone know what you'd like to do when visiting and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar, to one and all, at Oasis, praying for my black soul! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 


Hi Patricio, thanks for your response. As i wrote, we'll come before the lw/e, Monday to abt Thursday. Looking forward to spending time w you, sightseeing on yr vicinity, visiting PandL, etc. No special plans. We'll have been w Van family for abt a week, so have no expectations of guided touring. Hope staying at yr place OK, but as you suggested we'll fit in. L ook forward to it. S

Dear Patrick, Patrick Dunn just made a donation of $100.00 CAD in support of your event. You are now one step closer to your fundraising goal!
Thank you so much for your donation in support of Patrick Dunn's fundraising efforts as part of the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign.

Your generous contribution of $100.00 CAD will support the work of community-based organizations developed by and for African grandmothers. Their critical work includes:
  • Psychosocial support for grandmothers and the children orphaned by AIDS in their care; 
  • Community gardens, seed sharing, poultry, pig, and goat rearing; 
  • Vocational training for teens and young adults; 
  • Home building for grandmothers caring for vulnerable children;
  • Home-based care, training on how to care for HIV positive family members, and HIV/AIDS education programmes;
  • Income generation projects;
  • Legal and human rights training around violence against women and property rights. 
This is just a sampling of the kinds of work done by community-based organizations all across sub-Saharan Africa. After 30 years of dealing with the pandemic, they are the experts - developing sophisticated, targeted, and effective responses to the AIDS pandemic in the heart of their own communities!

Spanish Banks sounds good as a ride……..lets go down the hill please!!!!!!!, and a visit to the eggman sounds good.Let me know where to meet up…….Nice pictures Patricio. Cheers BC how about the last concession stand spanish bank at 5;30 and see john after the ride. Sounds good….how about if we end the ride, either on bikes, or by car at my  house, and we have a barbie. I will get some growlers filled and some goodies for the barbecue…. simple ……Ellen is away in Barcelona. Let me know…..

Hi Lads! Dinner at your place sounds wonderful, Santiago, so thanks for that. Gald you enjoyed snapolas. I'm fine with meeting on Spanish Banks, at 5:30 pm, near or past last concession but I'm wondering how long a ride you chaps wish to make. I don't know what The Eggman's schedule might be. Ben, any ideas? I'm a bit concerned that if we wait too late in the day it might not be convenient, even for a short visit. Where will you be coming from, Glasgow? Do you actually have a street address? Furthermore, I want to have GFA send along a tax receipt for your donation but need to have a street address. Alternatively, should I use one of cheque, PO Box #, as written under your name, at top of cheque?

Am wondering if you might give John/Leslie a call, Ben, and see just what is what. Might give us a better sense of how to proceed. At any rate, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


To all: Just got off the phone with John….we have made his day, week with a visit…..just let me know the time we would expect to be around his house, and I will let him and Leslie know. He is pleased as pink!!!!! I will have to get some beer he said!!!!! Small things go a long way…..just let me know a time we think we will be around…..

Well done, Santiago! As I mentioned, I hope to be at 7th and Bayswater by at least 2:00 pm on Tuesday. Again, I don't know your schedules but if we could ride before 5:30 pm then we could be with The Eggman and Leslie between 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm. If we are going to drink beer we should probably ride beforehand, whatever time that is. I presume I have the most flexible schedule for the day so you decide how you'd like to see things unfold and we'll take it from there. Cheers, Il Conduttore.

PS: Will Catherine be up for dinner, at Ben's, with us, Matt, later Tuesday evening? At this point I don't know what Chloë's schedule happens to be but I'm sure she'd enjoy coming along, if she is free. I am free from 15:30 on........let me know how many for dinner!!  And meeting point.

Hi Pat & Corinne. I parted ways with my contractor....not happy with the direction our working relationship was going. Rethinking it all! I feel I need to slow down & live in it for awhile. Maya showed me previous photos of your kittens. They are so handsome. I too wish to have a couple of kittens but don't want to not be free to travel. That is one large mother fucker kohlrabi!
Did you fertilize with steroids? I'm so happy Ruevin has arrived and put an end to a very "horrible" pregnancy.( as Maya described it yesterday) A few photos. You may already have some or these. Sending anyway. Love to all.


Spent quite a lazy morning, bit of a sleep-in and then a fabulous salmon omelette and fried kartofellage, courtesy of Lady Dar, for brunch. By the time I'd spent a couple of hours trying to catch up on overdue email and Lady Dar and I had done our monthly finances, it was close to 3:30 pm before I had even suited up. Wind was really blowing, 16 kph S, according to Garmin, but I know it was almost double that, according to statistics from Penticton Airport, between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm, 26 kph S, gusting to 36kph, 27 kph SSE, gusting to 38 kph. Knew this, if only visually as after I did my regualr PTC loop I headed down Government to complete most of my ride around Skaha Lake Park. [I simply couldn't face the blasts along Eastside if I made for OK Falls and I didn't want to head into such gales on the way home if I made for The Republic of Summerland!

Once on the boardwalk next to the beach here I could see all the angry whitecaps on Skaha. Glad I was wearing sunglasses as wind was whipping sand into the air and I could feel it, at various times, slightly stinging my legs and cheeks. The kite surfers were in paradise as they zipped back and forth across the lake. Not sure how much business the paddle board vendor was doing as I cannot imagine how one could negotiate the fairly large waves and rough water the wind was creating. At any rate, I didn't have much to worry about once I had the wind at my back so I decided I'd do about five complete loops of the circuit I've worked out here, roughly 7 km per loop, After leaving the boardwalk I head along Skaha Lake Rd to follow Elm and Cypress to Yorkton where I do a loop of this street bounded by Skaha Lake Rd and S Main before heading north on Wilson to Green, passing Princess Margaret High School, before returning to S Main. Back to Skaha Lake Park boardwalk and start all over again.

After gerbalizing myself to clock 35 km here, primarily trying to avoid prolonged exposure to the fierce south wind, I raced back home along Main, Dawson and Government, enjoying the marvellous push of the wind, making all the lights and roaring up to the door, pleased as punch that I'd even managed an AVG well above 21 kph, given the wild, wild wind and the decent ride of the day before! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1293755668#.V6g3jI0kz54.email 


Steve and Kathleen, We would love to have you stay with us during your Okanagan visit.  We don't have an entertaining dog nor a mandolin, but otherwise we would do our best to make you feel at home and return your hospitality from our visit so many years ago.  A funny coincidence, I'm currently traveling in Kazakhstan with my client who is from Ballarat. All the best, Peter 

My bad. I did locate the email with the toothbrush request in it. It is now ready for mailing. Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment