Saturday 11 June 2016

War Eagle Poplar Bay Point Blues: Saturday, June 11th!

[Destroying rain forest for economic gain] is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal. -E.O. Wilson, biologist, naturalist, and author (b. 10 Jun 1929)


This morning, Uncle Giorgio drove Dusty and I to War Eagle and we helped Grogg move a number of large windows under cover before we all headed out to Poplar Bay on Lake-of-the-Woods where his multi-millionaire friend Rico, (Dunn-Rite Chicken family, extremely distant Swiss relatives!), has a mansion. He bought the lot next to his villa and Grogg will move, [That is the plan!], the deck, cabana and trailer sitting on it to a spot above their cabin, he has recently cleared. He wanted both Dusty and Giorgio to look at the situation and provide suggestions for how best to go about the process.

Well worth the time and effort but a tremendous amount of work no matter how it is accomplished. As a start, Giorgio and I loaded up some concrete patio tiles into the small utility trailer while Grogg took measurements, explored roof, etc. Next stage will involve returning to start dismantling deck. Using the long boat trailer he inherited from Durstons, Grogg will build a platform to accept the deck, once it is cut into two pieces. Then, if cost is right, he will hire a friend to move the cabana, once detached from trailer, and when that is out of the way, Grogg will put new wheels on trailer and tow it to War Eagle. Not quite as much of a logistical feat as moving the Space Shuttle but almost!
 

You don't read very carefully. I thought you would pick up on our trip to Cavan.
Di will not be there, but the Lord of the Manor will be. Thanks so much for your good wishes. Almost on our way. Cheers Jo-Anne


Hi again, Dublin Bound! I guess you have already stared tippling, Colin, as I see no mention of Cavan on your itinerary, Dublin only as far as I can detect, although I gather former is about 2-3 hours away. Anyway, hello to the Lord of the Manor and greetings from Clara and Dusty to him. Must away as am planning a longish ride. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow so need to log a goodly distance while sun shines! Again, travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Dusty toasting The Lord of the Manor on their front patio yesterday evening. This afternoon, with Clara, on the same deck. Dusty has been on oxygen for the last few months. He turned 92 this past May 2nd, Clara, 91, this past February. We will celebrate their 71st wedding anniversary on June 19th.


Tues., June 14 - Dunlin - drive to Cavan, see the Great Gazebo. At least that is how it appears when I printed it off. How much Scotch had you had?

Hello Dublin People! Trust flight went well and you are settling in. This is what the itinerary for Ireland appeared as on document you attached, [Weird.  Not at all what I have here in my hand.]:

IRELAND & SCOTLAND 2016

June 11 – leave Vancouver
June 12 – arrive Dublin 8:35 AM – Clonskeagh Road, South Dublin
June  13 – Dublin – 12:00 - John & Yulin arrive
June 14 – Dublin
June 15 – Dublin
June 16 – Dublin – 22:25 – Eric arrives
June 17 – Dublin
June 18 – Dublin
June 19 – leave Dublin 14:35; John & Yulin leave at 16:00; Eric leaves at 17:00 


Haven't had a drop of malt since leaving Penticton but you are certainly driving me to drink some! As I had mentioned in last message I was about to head out for a ride after sending message. All my good intentions came to nowt as after about 11 km my chain broke! Had to call Lady Dar and the support vehicle to come and collect me.

While I was waiting, first two cars to pass by stopped to ask if I required any help. Thanked people in first car and said that my grumpy wife was coming shortly, or so I hoped! Did the same for the next car and when I mentioned that the earlier vehicle had stopped and turned onto the same road leading to Star Lake I asked if they might know them. "Oh yes", was the answer, "They are staying at our cabin!"


My plan had been to ride from Falcon to West Hawk and then towards Rennie to remind myself of the distances involved, the better to calibrate my future, longer outings, in terms of different route options. I'm hoping to be logging between 100 km-140 km , a number of times a week, while here. For now, all is theoretical! Map and Stats for ride: 
 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1208479400#.V1zVJEo3XEM.email
 


Anyway, Mme Coriandre was along soon and we were back at Falcon much, much sooner than I had expected to be. Am hoping I can take my bike into Kenora tomorrow to have chain replaced. I've found a bike shop there but it was closed by the time I was able to phone. Supposed to start raining steadily tomorrow morning and forecast suggests it will be soggy all day so at least it is a good time to run errands and/or catch up on messaging!. Enjoy Dublin. We certainly did for the week we were there in October 2010. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi everyone. The June 14th Tuesday night bridge will be held at my place with the usual 6:30 start time. Coming from Penticton on Hwy 97 heading north pass both Summerland traffic lights, turn left onto Jones Flat Road (at the Peach Pit fruit stand and backdoor winery) go two blocks and turn right at the mailboxes. Go one block and turn right, drive to end of payment then onto the gravel driveway to the house on the RIGHT. See you there! Please reply if you are coming. Thanks and hugs, Olly 

Hello Olga Polga! Would love to join the bridge gang next Tuesday, especially since you'll be hosting! How did game go last Tuesday at Robson's Redoubt? I'm sure it was loads of fun. Played this evening with Corinne's parents. Dusty, (92), was my partner and we shellacked The Sisterhood, Lady Dar and her Mom, Rosie-the-Riveter, (only 91!), a quick rubber and then a slow one! They have to do the dishes for the next two weeks! Fondestos to you, Rolly Polly, and hello to all the gang, both hikers and bridgers. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Spumoni! Thanks for Al's snaps of latest hikes. Please pass along greetings and thanks to him. next Tuesday. Are you going to Olga Polga's this coming Tuesday? I'm sure it will be loads of fun. Fondestos to you, from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment