Wednesday 22 June 2016

Short Haul Thunderstorm Blues: Wednesday, June 22nd!

I feel we are all islands -- in a common sea. -Anne Morrow Lindbergh, writer (22 Jun 1906-2001)


Not up until close to 8:45 am as I had read until quite late. At any rate, up to zap a mug of java and take a look at AccuWeather. Thunderstorms were predicted for around 11:00 am and then again at 2:00 pm so I decided if iI was going to be able to squeeze in a ride I'd better hit the road quickly. This being the case, I suited and lubed up, filled my water bottle and headed out. Decided I'd do the South Shore Loop twice, staying relatively close to home in case I had to scurry back to avoid a drenching or being struck by lightening! Wind was quite gentle, out of the SSW at 7 kph so not a significant factor. By the time I'd done the first circuit of the South Shore and was dipsy-doodling around the Falcon town-site I had achieved an AVG of 22.5 kph or so. 

Headed back to the South Shore when I had logged 31 km, passing Fairway Crescent. Was up to 22.9 kph by the time I turned around at the end of the South Shore run and was able to push the AVG to 23.5 kph by the time I was near Fairway Crescent. Very pleased that I'd managed to avoid the rain as well as with the AVG I thought I'd achieved, I was a tad disappointed to discover that it had dropped to 23.4 kph when I pulled up beside the cabin. I suppose I'd lost a bit of speed on the gravel road. Still I was high and dry so couldn't really complain! [Just a moment or so before I posted this entry on FB it started to rain so I'm veddy, veddy lucky!] Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1224466569#.V2rH75AYaxM.email

Hello Kenton and New Home-Owner! Congratulations on the house, Kimbo! Hope we can see it at some point. Reason for this message is that we are going to be spending this coming weekend in Winnipeg so am wondering if you people will be around. Patti, Cora Lee's sister, is leaving on Friday so we will be driving in from Falcon on Saturday. We plan to drive to Kenton on Monday for the night, if that still works for the Goldilocks People! Anyway, let us know what might work this coming weekend and we'll plan accordingly. You can always call us here at Falcon if that works best. Look forward to seeing everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio!

All of the grays will Be in Winnipeg on Saturday and would love to see you. Dallas and I are coming  in early and Alex and Katie will be coming in early afternoon. We will be at Chris and kimbos and you can call us when you get to Winnipeg to make a plan. I have made your reservation at the goldilocks hotel for Monday evening at look forward to that visit as well. Talk to you on Saturday

Thank you for the congrats on the house we would love if you could make it by here this weekend and we could get together! We are around anytime this weekend so whatever time works for you is great!

Hi Judith and Kimbo! Fabulous news indeed! I'm going to suggest that Filmer and Sally might join us at Kimbo's/Chris's so that all the cousins can visit. What is the address so that I can suggest this to Sally/Filmer. I've not had a chance to talk to them yet but hope they will want to see everyone as well. We can decide, between now and then what might work best in terms of food, etc. Perhaps a potluck if Kimbo/Chris can handle all of us! Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Thanks, of course, for the upgrade on the Goldilocks Suite! Much appreciated! No heavy duvets, please!!! Lady Dar requires a case of chilled white wine while I'd be happy with a single bottle of single malt! More of same bbq'd potatoes and we'll be very, very happy! Cheers, Pushy, but ever so grateful, humble Pentictonites! Pics: Ms Tinsel Town heads back home!
 
Our house is on Perth Avenue, Filmer and Sally are more than welcome and I think because we are just moving in a potluck would be great and we have plenty of space for everyone to enjoy supper! Kimberlee

Hello Perth Street et al! I just chatted with Filmer and he and Sally would be more than delighted to join the gang for a meal at Il Palazzo di Perth! In terms of timing, I think a late lunch might work best. This being the case, is Sunday better than Saturday, in terms of the Kentonites travelling in from The Hinterland? Either day is fine with the Wildwood Park People as well as Lady Dar and her Love Slave so let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

With respect to the menu, Filmer has already volunteered Sally's Zorba the Greek salad, for 10. Is that the right number? Six Kentonites, (including Outsider Chris!), two Pentictonites and two Wildwood partridges in a crab-apple tree! Lady Dar and I are happy to bring appetizers of some sort as well as something to bbq, if there is a grill to be had. If not, I assume we can build a bonfire on the banks of the Red River and roast marshmallows. Anyway, let us know what we can contribute. Filmer and I don't usually eat with our meals so don't worry about us!

Just to be sure about address, is Perth off North Main, about twelve blocks past Inkster? Don't want to miss the house-burning! Looking forward to seeing everyone, it goes without saying. Cheers, Everyone's Favourite Cousin Patrizzio!


Hi Pat and Corinne I think around 3:00 would work great for us if that works for you guys! I will have to check on the grill situation and Chris and I will be making a dessert and a dip so you bring whatever you would like to bring! Also ten is the correct number of people that will be at the meal. Yes the house is east off north main about the forth house from main.

Hello Wildwood Park People! As I mentioned, in an earlier message, we'd like to take you both out for lunch or dinner so let us know what might work this coming weekend and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Master Guru Dottore! Trust you enjoyed the Jazz Fest. Am wondering if you are keen to join me on a ride tomorrow? Send me an email or call, if interested. I plan to go to Ingolf and beyond but you can always turn back whenever you've had enough since you mentioned you've not been riding much of late. Friday is also a possibility if that is better for you. Hope something works. Cheers, Patrizzio! I would like depending on when you head out. I am at friends overnight but should be back at 10ish tomorrow. Will call. D Hi again, Dottore! Give me a shout. As Cora Lee and the rest of Clan Durston know, I am infinitely flexible and easy going! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Zircon! We are going to be spending this coming weekend in Winnipeg and then plan to drive to Kenton on Monday for the night. If we leave by 9:00 am I presume we'll be knocking on your Medicine Hat door between 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm. Perhaps earlier if we manage to get away sooner. Let us know if this still works for you. Look forward to seeing you and perhaps Costanza! Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

I am writing to Bob and Effie, who are also planning on being at my place next week--perhaps the same night as you and Corinne. I might be putting you on the balcony, but I am sure we will have a great a time. Jim Hi again, Zircon! Unless they play bridge, we claim the guest room! Cheers, Pushy Patrizzio!

Bob and Effie are coming Monday and leaving Tuesday, so you get the guest room after all. I will see if I can round up a Ms Jones for Bridge Tuesday evening. Safe travels.No I think I better bring Mary Ann in for bridge next Tuesday. She needs the practice--and besides I have never seem her tight, so maybe we can fix that issue too.

Hi Patrick, Thought you would want to see this while it’s hot off the press -The LG wine Awards + the rest of John’s Schreiner’s recent blog (see Deep Roots in there): http://johnschreiner.blogspot.ca

Thanks for forwarding the email from Greg Dawe from France. It was really good to see that he is enjoying life again after all the medical issues he has had. Speaking of post medical issues I finally had my first squash game in about 17 months today! I lost 3-0 but I wasn’t too bad and I even soaked my shirt.
Just good to get the exercise.

Speaking of BC wine, we we are going to stay in the cabin at Deep Roots again for a week starting July 14th. It would be great to have a visit with you and Corine then. So if you are busy then lets know of a gap in your schedule as at this time we have no commitments up there. Cheers, Bill & Denise.
 

Hi Dangereuse & Wild Bill! Thanks for the link to John’s Schreiner’s recent blog. Not sure if I can follow all of the awards. I need you, Wild Bill, to help me navigate! We'd love to see you and Denise when you are in town. I'm riding in the GranFondo, (160 km), on Sunday, July 10th, so if you are coming up before the 14th why no plan to stay for a night or two with us. Unfortunately, we are leaving on the 15th to take in the Folk Fest. However, we'll be back on Monday, July 18th, so we can see you then if not before. Let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly

Busy time here with Cora Lee's parent's 71st wedding anniversary this past Sunday. Looking forward to connecting in Penticton. Let us know what you think when you've had a moment to discuss. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello and please excuse my tardy response to your informative note about wine tasting in your "new" neighborhood. What a lovely setting outside and all those wine barrels and racks inside look only too familiar - some things are the same no matter where you find them! We have been super busy with this and that for the past couple of months, mostly with the sale of our house in Seattle (successful and almost out of escrow), traveling around a bit here and there, celebrating birthdays (Dave's), visiting family in the northern regions of California (Lake Alamanor - really lovely there), attending baseball games in San Francisco (me and my sis) and visiting with daughter Kate there in the city.

This week, in fact tomorrow is Kate's 31st birthday and she will be coming up to visit and celebrate her birthday and a belated Father's Day on Saturday. We are very much looking forward to seeing her and her boyfriend Bryan. He is quite the outspoken one, so he doesn't take any "guff" from the grumpy old winemaker! It's a fun experience to watch the two of them interact! Then a week from tomorrow I leave (on my own) by plane for a long weekend up in Seattle with other daughter Susie. Now that she's out of our Seattle house and settled into her new apartment, I thought I'd go up and spend some time with her and get acquainted with her new surroundings. We'll probably do some fun mom and daughter stuff and maybe see a Mariners baseball game while I'm there. She put a lot of hard work into getting the Seattle house ready for the market, so it will be fun to just kick back this time and not have to worry about cleaning and or making repairs to the house.

While I'm away, bottling of the 2015 vintage will begin here at the winery, so Dave's been busy with that - getting the labels and bottles ordered, making room in the garages for the new stuff, etc. He thrives on it. Oh, also we've been remodeling our own private bathroom here at the house. We had a little accident involving the bathtub a few months ago, so decided to tear it out and put in a walk-in shower instead. It's taken longer than we anticipated, but finally got the sinks and toilet reinstalled today and are just about ready to give that shower an inaugural test. Hope that you and Corinne have been equally busy and enjoying the solstice and start of summer. It's been hot here these past few days, with some cooling today, but supposed to heat up into the 100's again over the weekend. These are the times I wish we still had the above ground kiddie pool from the years when the girls were much younger! All my best,
Patrizzia


Hi Patrizzia! Glad to hear that you are both well. Please don't apologize for not replying sooner, especially when you have been so busy with winery and property in Seattle. Trust you are happy not to be landlords anymore. Happy Birthday to both The Grumpy Winemaker and his charming, easy-going daughter! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Is Banff still a possibility? You NEED/MUST come to Penticton! No excuses whatsoever! Cheers, Patrizzio!

You are always in my mind, just last night with friends I wished you were here also........these long time friends one lady I met in 1965 are engaged. Their spouses died recently and they are headed up to Vancouver so of course I thought of you BUT, oh gee you are not there anymore..........I would love to be in Vancouver again or see you in the East, so I am working hard at it..............I will read your message later, I am going up for beer...............Dave

Hi David! I can only assume that Patrizzia has the same PR person as Lady Dar as you seem to get as much bad press as I do. Not sure why she continues to call you The Grumpster when this is obviously not the case! Misunderstood, perhaps, but certainly not a grouch!!! Loads of craft breweries here so you'll have plenty of beer if the wine isn't to your liking. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

There will be a hike tomorrow (Thursday) if you would like to join them (see below). Pam Pam ‘Slow Farts’ (Jack, Jud, Dave, Gerd and others) will meet at IGA in Summerland at 9:00 AM Thursday. The destination will be decided at that time. Those wishing a slow moderate hike are welcome to come along but no speeding is allowed. Jud have fun!! Hanneke

Hi Spumoni! Trust you are well. Have a bit of a favour to ask but don't worry if you are too, too busy or not around. Chloë will be returning to Vancouver on the morning of Sunday, the 26th. We were wondering if you might b able to pop by and water our plants/garden on Monday and Tuesday of that week, if weather requires such. I gather you've experienced quite a bit of rain of late. We should be back in Penticton by June 29th so let me know if you are willing and available. You could call Chloë beforehand so that she could fill you in on the watering details, etc. Again, don't worry if this is something that you cannot discharge. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Spumoni. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick! I'm glad you had a great anniversary celebration! and of course the best bike ride of the year....I'm leaving for 5 days on the Wednesday, and am very busy the days before (except Friday morning)...... If you are stuck I will pitch in, but I was wondering if you could ask Bill, given he lives so close to you? Let me know.... Pam 

Hi again, Spumoni! Thanks for replying so quickly. Don't worry about the watering. I'll be in touch with Guillermo and we'll call Chloë if he can't help out. Our neighbour, Amanda, is very helpful and we might ask her if Yermo is busy or away. At any rate, you have a great trip yourself! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Last night's dinner. My cycling fare! 





No comments:

Post a Comment