Thursday 23 June 2016

Push the Stitched Together Dipsy-Doodle Blues: Thursday, June 23rd!

Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't. -Richard Bach, writer (b. 23 Jun 1936) 


How did people wake up on time before the invention of alarm clocks? Here's one way. It involves a person with a very long stick. That was the case in England, at least. These people were called “knocker-ups” or “knocker-uppers,” a name which described the act they’d perform each morning. The knocker-up would come to your window, give it a few taps, and then wait to make sure you had awoken. If you had, great — he or she moved onto the next house. If not, they were typically charged with trying again, as knocker-ups were often only paid if they waited to ensure that the customer had, indeed, woken up.

Hello Cruise People! Starting to worry that you are in a Russian jail after trying to lift some art from the Hermitage! Otherwise, trust all goes well. Fondestos to you both from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: I didn't realize that a feature film had been made of Lynne and myself with elephant in Madurai!  Playing now in Vancouver!
 
I had made tentative plans to ride with friend, David, who lives on the South Shore but when I'd not heard from him by 10:45 am I decided I'd set out. Told Lady Dar that if he called,I was headed his way and we could meet at some point on the road past his place. No sign of him, coming or going, so I assumed something had come up. I discovered, once back, that he phoned at about 11:30 am but by that time I had already completed the South Shore Loop and was either dispy-doodling around Falcon town-site or else making for West Hawk. Wind was not an overly significant factor over the course of most of the ride, (9kph WNW @11:00 am; 11 kph @12 noon- 1:00pm; 13 kph WNW @2:00 pm; 15 kph WNW @3:00 pm; 13 kph W@4:00 pm and 15 kph @5:00 pm), helping me nicely when it was behind me and not overly hindering me, on the outward bound leg, when it was more of a cross wind.

Had decided that I'd stitch together all of the various routes that I've come to know since riding here so once I was in West Hawk I did the highway/beach loop and then made for Ingolf. Wanted the hills there as they are probably the best, in terms of frequency and difficulty, on any of the routes. Once I'd chalked off that portion my next goal was Brereton Lake. Had about 88 km on the clock when I reached the turnoff for Provincial Road 307 and only needed to go as far
as ER Road 79 before turning around, given the distance remaining to Rennie. As I passed the Alfred Hole Goose Sanctuary, about a km before Rennie, I noticed that the Goose Count was 89! Went a short distance into Rennie before turning around as I wanted to have 100 km on my odometre when I left the hamlet, the better to calibrate some of the distances between various landmarks along the way. I find that if I can break up the ride into segments of between 5 to 10 km it seems to help me chip away at the overall distance. Need to play such games with myself whenever the distance is greater than 100 km.

At any rate, I now know that the cell tower is 10 km from Rennie and the first set of picnic tables, 5 km beyond that. I knew from the highway sign that the turn-off to Caddy Lake was 22 km and when I reached Provincial Road 312 my guestimates tallied nicely. I had 125 km on the odometre and so I knew I'd have over 140 km once back in Falcon. Felt pretty good at this point but I knew I'd still have some pretty hefty work cut out for me. Once I'd climbed out of Penniac Bay and made the turn towards Falcon I was bucking the substantial head wind, now 15 kph right out of the west so I was headed straight into it! Nevertheless, I struggled against the maddening gusts and somehow managed to mantain the AVG at 22.2 kph. Must have been all the curses I uttered on the last stretch while I stood up in the saddle, barely moving. Extremely pleased as only short of the GranFondo distance by 15 km and my legs felt pretty good when I pulled into Ace Bay. Terrific training ride indeed! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1226219391#.V2xqcseJJhA.email

Dearest Nullifidian! Sorry to learn that we won't cross paths with the other prairie tourists. It would have been fun to be together, even for a short time. Please pass along fond regards. However, I must say I am a tad distressed to learn that since you finally hung up your surplice you seem to have become The Devil's Advocate, now about to ply Mary Ann with demon rum! I suppose that since you were always so adept at resolving congregational problems your subconscious simply cannot let go and has found another outlet, now dealing with an individual's problems! Terrific, if misplaced, work ethic! No wonder you were always referred to as Hard-Headed Hillson! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Last night's dinner. Wendy and Stuart, (Cora Lee's cousin), came for dinner as they were unable to attend anniversary celebration on Sunday. 

Hi again, Chute Lake Man! Thanks for being the organizer of ride. Much appreciated. However, you might recall that I'm riding in the GranFondo, (160 km), on Sunday, July 10th, so not sure about timing, in terms of my road "training" before event. Unfortunately, in terms of the ride, we are then leaving on the 15th to take in the Folk Fest in Vancouver. [I'd be keen for the 12th or 13th or 14th, however.] We'll be back on Monday, July 18th, so if that week works, count me in. Nevertheless, I'll be in touch once back in Penticton, planned for Wednesday, June 29th. As soon as we chat we can plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: Last night's cycling fare! 

July 12-14 timeframe may work even better for myself as well as there are a few others involved who have expressed interest……check with me when you return. I may be out of town with my son but you can still contact me on email via ipad assuming I remember to take it along! Cheers, Kilian

Hi again, St Kilian! Sounds great! I'll send along an email as soon as we are back and/or give you a shout and we can see what might work best for everyone. Thanks again. Just going for a short "stretch" ride tomorrow morning. Once back I'll start packing up the car as we are off to Winnipeg on Saturday morning. Hello to the hiking gang. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kimbo et al! Timing should be fine but is the pot-luck to be on Saturday or Sunday? Please confirm. Thanks. Also, is everyone bringing something for the grill or stove? Just want to clarify. What about vegetables? Any chance Judy will do her tinfoil spuds? So far, as I understand it, Sally/Filmer will be bringing a Greek salad, Kimbo a dessert and a dip, I assume latter for an appetizer. We are happy to bring something for the bbq/stove but I'd like to hear from Kenton first.  Are you Goldilocks People in a wireless free zone out there in The Hinterland? Desperately seeking advice. Cheers, Patrizzio! Today's ride if you are having trouble sleeping!

The potluck is on Saturday! My mom will have to answer the rest of the questions hopefully tonight! I got the menu items my mom is bringing potatoes and smokies and Katy is bringing a broccoli salad. I am not sure but if you could bring lawn chairs that would be great or if Sally/Filmer could that would be great. Feel free to bring whatever you want to bring! 

Hi again, Kimbo! Great work! Unfortunately, we don't have any folding lawn chairs along, (All back in Penticton with Chloë. We chatted on the phone last night and she sends greetings to one and all and was cranky that she couldn't join us on Saturday!), but I'll ask Corinne's sister, Pamela, if she has any at their house in St Vital. We will be staying there so if they have some, we'll certainly bring them along. Not sure if Wildwood Park People use lawn chairs as they usually only sit on marble, encrusted with precious jewels, but perhaps they have some for the hoi polloi!

Menu seems to be getting more scrumptious all the time! Might have to have a second gathering on Sunday as well! Everyone can just sleep over at your mansion! We will bring an appetizer and probably some additional bbq fare just to make sure that Alejandro doesn't starve to death!

Thanks again for hosting the event. Have you warned your new neighbours that there is a rave going on on Saturday? Will give you a shout once we are in Winnipeg just to make sure there isn't anything that has been forgotten and/or needs to be picked-up. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi I am not sure why but I am having trouble with my IPAD email. I keep losing your email, wierd! Kayla, Sam's wife, found a place for $200 in Winnipeg so she doesn't have to freeload! Ha ha.
 

I just spent a week with Dinao in Yellowknife and I am back in Vancouver. She had no internet at her house, yikes! I love my time there but I don't think I could live there . Dinao lives 1hr and 15 min from Yellowknife so she is quite isolated. She is getting to know lots of people so it is not too bad. I visited her school where she is the Art Therapist. GTG I'm heading out for a bike ride with Al around White Rock, it is not quite Lion's Gate. Say hi to Corrine. Love Rhoda 

Hi Ski! Blame everything on your devices! Couldn't have anything to do with you, of course! Pleased Kayla found such reasonable accommodation. Is she living in the city morgue? Quite interesting to hear about Dinao in Yellowknife. Does she use Art Therapy on grizzlies? Say hello to Big Al. [I now spit on White Rock and Lion's Gate!] Tell him to visit us in Penticton. Lady Dar sends along her best wishes to you. She's like you to visit as well.

Did you lose the email in which I mentioned that one of Cora Lee's Flatlander walking group, Sandy Hirth, will be with a group of musicians at Celtic Colours this October. Are you still involved? I hike with her husband, Norbert.
Otherwise, trust all goes well. Into Winnipeg on Saturday and will start wending our way home on Monday. Fondestos to you and The Great Ronaldo from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: My cycling fare! The 71st wedding anniversary couple!

Sam's color is Tungsten Metallic...she also liked Blue Velvet but the dealership did not have one in stock  Also here is the link to their wedding information. they are not registering anywhere as they feel they have what they need right now as far as housewares but if guests would like to contribute to their honeymoon fund they can when the wedding draws near. Also meant to tell Dad that the country club will accept corkage if you wish to bring any wine (there will be a full open bar for guests)  www.theknot.com/us/theprinces2017

Love and miss you all...it is always a great to visit our family and see familiar places and most of all be able to visit my grandparents still...I left feeling incredibly grateful Ayn


I love their wedding site, and that Sam drives the same car as mom and dad!!!!
What's going on with Alex and the firefighting application??? Big storm here right now!!!! xx


Hi Tinsel Town! Congratulations to Sam. I'd have chosen the Blue Velvet as well, had it been available. I agree with Chloë, the wedding site is terrific! Send along my best wishes to both Sam and Alejandro! The message was interrupted as Chloë called to report on the gazillions of wineries she visited. I haven't been to many of them and she's now best friends with all the tasting room staff and owners! We'll never catch up so we are moving to Parksville to live in Grogg and Lurch's wine cellar!

Certainly pleased you had such a wonderful visit. We did as well. Great good fun to visit old haunts, etc. Also, timing was very important, for obvious reasons, as you allude to with respect to your grandparents. While The Sisterhood spent time at War Eagle, (water was wonderful, apparently), I went for best ride, ever, since cycling in this neck of the woods.
David popped by around 6:00 pm this evening to drop off an anniversary card for Rosita and Dusty, explaining he'd been delayed in Kenora. We will ride tomorrow as I 'll need a good "stretch" ride after today's marathon. As well, Karen Toole, retired minister from West Hawk United, will be here tomorrow to perform a memorial service. She is staying with David and he's invited your grandparents and us for breakfast on Saturday morning before we head into Winnipeg. We are having a pot-luck at Kimberlee Gray's new house, off North Main, at 3:00 pm that afternoon. Sally and Filmer will be attending, along with all the Kentonites so should be fun.

Time to brush my teeth as I'm a bit weary now, after three bottles of beer. Was pretty thirsty after ride and wine didn't seem like it would hit the spot. Fondestos to Winstonian and Los Horridos. Love and Cheers, Dad!


Next Monday Chuck and Kilian will lead us up Pincushion Mt., in Peachland. There is very limited parking, so we are going to limit this hike to 12 people. So please reply to this email if you would like to go. I won't reply to you unless there are too many people and you can't go. So for those who reply to me and don't hear from me, leave IGA parking lot in Summerland at 9 am, and I'll let Pentictonites know if there are people for carpooling. Pam Hi all have fun, I am sorry to miss this one, as I have not done this hike, but I have an appointment on Monday.

Hanneke

 

No comments:

Post a Comment