Wednesday 1 June 2016

Lady Dar's Xeriscape Blues: Wednesday, June 1st!

A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night. -Marilyn Monroe, actress (1 Jun 1926-1962)


Lady Dar clapped me in leg irons from the very moment I came into the kitchen to prepare my mug of Instanto this morning. She has become increasingly demanding ever since she started painting the fence. I think, [entre nous, Dear Reader!], that the fumes have addled her brain as while she is off, lolly-gagging with The Flatlanders, I'm to work on re-ordering the garage. When she is back from her extended, alcoholic luncheon, I'm to break my back in the garden, under her relentless glare, re-potting and moving existing plantings, not to mention putting in time on the hard rock pile, carting, à la Sisyphus, moving and placing weighty stones to form a border to prevent the lava rock from spilling onto the sidewalk. Unfortunately, for me, the floor of her heart is covered in lava rock!

[Noreen visiting the Sunshine Coast! beautiful grandma:) Bernie for President! Is that Colin? Yup!! When did he grow a beard?]

Hello Bridge Campers! Thanks to everyone for the delightful evening and the lovely bottles of wine. Great good fun all around. I trust you have already put your bridge prizes to nasty work!

Lady Dar and I are off to Manitoba next week so we will not be around for bridge until the beginning of July. I trust some of you might wish to continue with the weekly games so we look forward to gruesome accounts of the blood-sport bidding! Until we are back, stay well. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Thanks to you both for accommodating all the needy new bridge players. Your hospitality always shines,and we all went home happy and more knowledgeable about Chicago bridge and more. Even the most upset among us went home with a😃 and a knife. Cheers, Jos

Hello Smiling, Knife Wielding Chicago Gangster! Glad your upset is just a long forgotten nightmare! How is Aarturo faring, by the way? I'm quite worried I'll have to find another to poke fun at if Pearly Whites isn't around! Do hope things look a little sunnier with respect to his dodgy knee. Will look forward to catching up on Sunday if you are not on tomorrow's hike. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio, with earth under his fingernails and cruel lashes on his sore back! 

Hi Patrick, and all other bridge fanatics like myself, I am coming back from Calgary tomorrow hoping to have a game next Tuesday. However I can't host the game at this time because Mariola is going to have some other activities with her girlfriends in our house that day. So, if anybody wants to see me as a partner I am available ( I mean for the bridge) :-) Cheers. Mike Hi Michaelo! Glad you are keeping the bridge fires burning. We'd love to join if there is a game but we will have company that night and will be leaving, very, very early, the next morning, driving to Winnipeg. Will be in touch but probably won't see you until beginning of July, if you are around then. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat and Corinne, Thank you for a very fun evening of bridge. I am inspired to review the rules of bridge so that I can play faster with less table talk😊 I admired your patio roof when I played at Table 2 last night. It seems that you are very happy with it. We will need something like this for our west facing deck. Who was your supplier locally? Many thanks again for last evening and for sharing the patio roof info. Pam 

Hello "Dummy" Goil! Both Lady Dar and I are both very pleased that you enjoyed yourself. I'm sure you are a lot more capable than you let on, given your questions, etc. I'm certainly no expert and what I do enjoy is learning from each other as we play. Always for fun but there is no harm in examining bids and hands to try to understand better what one might do the next time. I trust the group will coalesce as it is a wonderful social activity. With respect to our patio roof, the louvres are from Suncoast Enclosures: 

<www.suncoastenclosures.com>  

I would call Brian Simpson, and mention you saw our roof and are interested in something for your place. We are very, very pleased with both the work and his attitude/approach. I know you haven't even started construction yet but the sooner you call and tell him about your project, the sooner he will be able to schedule a site visit and provide an estimate, given building orientation, size, etc. In all our dealings with Brian we always found him extremely likeable and extremely competent. From what I've observed, company is quite busy, all over the Okanagan, and beyond, so he is often in the area on other projects. 

Of course, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Furthermore, you are welcome to bring your husband, (Bill, I think, but I apologize if wrong.), by for a look if you'd like. We could even have a drop of something as I gather he doesn't play bridge! Anyway, all the best. Must way. Fondestos from Lady Dar, already grizzling about chores I've yet to do! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Taken this past April when the roof was being installed.

Pat, Thank you for this info about your sun roof. I will follow up with Brian. Is there a hike on Monday? Pam Hi Pam! As far as I know there should be one. However, Lady Dar told me that Spumoni was fussing on today's Flatlander outing. Chap Al Tinka said would lead the hike knew nothing about it when she contacted him for details! I'm sure everything will work out but that is what I know. I'll let you know if and when I hear more. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Lynette! Trust you are well and congratulations on your recent real estate move! I apologize for not replying sooner but it has been a busy last few days. At any rate, it is certainly fine to come on Tuesday. However, we will be leaving fairly early, (by 6:00 am at the latest), on Wednesday morning as were are off to Winnipeg and want to be in Medicine Hat for the night. Chloë is driving up on Friday to house-sit while we are away so she will be here to keep you company after we steal away in the dark! Nevertheless, we can still have a good visit although probably no time for a hike as you had mentioned, as a possibility, in an earlier message. Buona Fortuna with all the paper work. Look forward to seeing you. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sorry for the changes. I'll be up there before noon. Shall I take you out for lunch again? Cheers! Hi again, Lynette! Please don't worry about changed schedule. We are just glad we'll have a chance to visit. Thanks for the very kind offer of lunch. Why don't we play things by ear and see when you arrive, time, etc. If we do go out, there is a terrific new spot, just across Front Street from the Wild Scallion, called Front Street Bistro. We went there for dinner last Saturday and had a wonderful meal. Anyway, lots of places. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank-you, Patrizzio!! I was able to open the pictures and 'move' to my Pictures folder. But unfortunately, not to PICASA. Don't know why. You take beautiful pics; I enjoy looking at all your albums even if I'm not on those hikes. Cheers,
Sharon​

Hi Principessa! Glad you were able to unzip the files. Don't know why you couldn't upload to PICASA. I found that system a bit difficult to use so I tried out Flickr and have been pleased, so far. Thanks for your kind words and delighted that you can enjoy the hikes through some of my snaps. However, don't be a stranger. We want you on future outings. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Dearest Cousins! Trust all goes well with you everyone! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner. No excuses but plenty of reasons, as I've so often rationalized! Before I go any further, we are driving to Falcon, leaving on June 8th, to celebrate the Durston's 71st wedding anniversary. That being the case we hope to see both the Kentonites and the Wildwoodites. 

Will the farm folk be home on the evening/night of Thursday, June 9th or must we Golidlocks our way to a free bed? Please let us know, Three Bears, [Papa Bear being the grumpiest of all, whether in fairy tale or real life!], and we'll plan accordingly! As far as Winnipeg is concerned, we'll be back and forth, between lake and city, over the course of our visit so let us know, roughly, which dates might work for a get-together of some sort. We need to be back in Penticton by the end of June so we'll be on the road a few days before the end of the month.
Fondestos from Lady Dar, having a nap after her Flatlander's walk and extended, boozy luncheon! Chat or message soon, I trust. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Jan and Zircon! We are driving to Falcon, leaving on June 8th, via the Crowsnest, leaving no later than 6:00 am. That being the case we hope to see Medicine Hat Man around 6:00 pm. Will you be home and offering shelter, not to mention food and expensive malt, Zircon? Thanks and  Cheers, Patrizzio!

hi patrick good to hear news of you both, seems a long time since i saw you. sadly i will not see you on this trip as i have a mtg in calgary wed eve - i'm sure jim will let you know soon if he will be `receiving' in the hat. plse excuse typing
all very best to you both jan Hi Jan! Sorry we'll miss you as it has been awhile since we've seen you. Anyway, Zircon has already replied and we have reservations for dinner and the night already! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Wednesday June 8 I have your name written in for my guest room. We will find something to throw on the grill and something to put in a glass. I also will try my best to unload a freezer full of ice packs left behind last year!. Drive carefully. We can catch up on the rest of the news when you are here. 

Hi Freezer Pack Man! Thanks for the wonderful reservation! I'm trying to figure out what we'll leave this time around! Probably a suitcase full of Canadian money since it isn't worth much anyway! When I told Lady Dar about your kind offer she said she'd be happy to leave at 5:00 am since we will lose two hours en route. At any rate, I trust we'll be knocking on your door before you have your jams on and your teeth out! You don't usually go to bed before 7:00 pm do you? Cheers, Patrizzio!


Anyone interested in biking Friday to do what we planned last week - Naramata road to the village and beach? Starting at Township 7 winery at 10am. If anyone wants to do more we could bike further to Painted Rock. Barb, I did it last week and took a little more than 1 hour return from Township 7 to village. Ken I think you are gone correct for about 5 weeks? Please forward to anyone else who may be interested. bye Gill 

Hi Jack Rabbit Slims et al! I'm keen to ride with you, Gilliana, so I'll be at Township 7 at the appointed hour. Hope some of the others will join us as well. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Not gone Quite yet.. but I am hiking on Thursday with the hardcore guys.. so not sure how I will be on Friday... if I feel ok.. I will join you...and I will let you know... cheers Ken..Sorry can not make Friday's ride. Barb and Dave Hi Patrick, sorry I will be in Vancouver leaving on Friday so will not be able to ride, but did get in one today with Carol to OK Falls weather was A 1 robert Hi Robertito! Sorry you won't be along on Friday but trust your trip to Vancouver goes well. I trust we'll be able to ride together, at some point, later this summer. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Gossip Columnist! When did Colin grow a beard? Between us, [Entre nous as Nancy Halpern would say!], he looks a lot older than the last time I saw him. Is it the beard?

Just finished transplanting the small bush, under Lady Dar's critical eye, and sharp tongue, that was in the planter near the divan. Put it a the end of the raised section, near the sidewalk, at the end of the fence. Then used the planter for another Mandevilla which already has a gorgeous bloom on it. Lady Dar will be harvesting some fresh lettuce and green onions for our salad tonight!

Must away as we have to do our monthly accounts before dinner. Not an easy task so I'll probably have to open a decent bottle of wine to smooth the way for Nana! Love and Cheers, Dad!

Pics: Madevilla behind new chairs! Feeder but no hummingbirds!
Replanting and new lilac, French White!
Mad Gardener watering her babies! Salad fixin's!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment