Monday 20 June 2016

Brereton Lake or Bust Blues: Monday, June 20th!

For sleep, riches, and health to be truly enjoyed, they must be interrupted. -Jean Paul Richter, writer (1763-1825) 


Since when do we have to agree with people to defend them from injustice? -Lillian Hellman, playwright (20 Jun 1905-1984)  

Dear Patrick Happy Anniversary to Dusty and Rosie . Corinne's mother? Now in Glasgow so will take in the sights. Miss Dublin already. Safe travels! Joanne
Hi Longing for Dublin People! Funny that you should mention missing Dublin as I just had a message from Matt Garrey. (You met him and Catherine at our anniversary bash, I'm sure.) They are off to Glasgow next week as he still has family there. I mentioned that you are already missing Dublin: "So much for Glasgow, Glasgow!!!" Have a snort or two of malt for me when at the numerous distilleries you'll be visiting! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: [Thanks from Rosie-the-Riveter, Cora Lee's Mom indeed. She worked on making wing spars for Spitfires in Fort William
at Canada Car in 1944.]
Good to hear from you, Patrizio! Was just thinking of the 80's the other day. Can't believe it has been that long! Right now we are enjoying a Margherita and since I haven't had too much in the way of alcohol to drink for the past few years, I really have a considerable buzz going on. We will have to drive to Penticton this summer to see Wally's boyhood friends and you people. Are you heading off for a holiday this season? 

I notice on FB pages you are still bicycling every day with fantastic distances as your goal.. Penticton is the greatest place for that sport! I imagine you took your bike with you for your visit to the prairies. I have to get going and get more exercise in! Well at least I recognize what I should be doing.... And that to me is a great beginning..Hope your Father's Day is good to you. Cheers
BLM
Hello Lost Shaker of Salt! Funny that you should mention drinking a Margarita as Cora Lee's sister, Pam, received a huge Margarita making machine this last Mother's Day. She has been churning them out ever since she arrived this past weekend!

Loads of excitement yesterday, starting off with Father's Day and then 71st Wedding Anniversary followed by a windstorm that brought down a tree next door on George's, (Corinne's brother), property. Fortunately, nobody injured or any damage either as it feel across the road. Just had a call from a neighbour a bit further away and they have been without any power since yesterday afternoon so there must have been other trees brought down snapping lines. We never lost power so have to be thankful for that.

Must away as I'm heading out for another longish ride. Did Picasso recognize his cousin? Fondestos from Lady Dar, reading on the couch! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics:
Pam's Margaritaville; My father's Day card and presents; Uncle George with Cody and Dustin, his nephews, and his grandchildren, Emmet and Quinn; Anniversary Couple with grandchildren and fairy!

Falcon lake rules. No winds in Iona just sun and more sun. sounds like quite a struggle.well done.say hi to all.off to the Holy Land sorry Scotland, next week. and guess the forecast -yes rain and more rain.take care matt

Hello Sunshine! Funny that you should mention going to the Holy Land as just had a message from Jo-Anne, from Glasgow. (You met her and Colin, her husband, at our anniversary bash, I'm sure.) They had been in Dublin for a week or so and mentioned that she is already missing it! So much for Glasgow, Glasgow!!! Have a snort or two of holy water for me when at the Wailing Wall! Cheers, Patrizzio! great stuff Patrick

We are planning for Saturday at 3 ish.  If time permits potatoes will be on the menu Planning on smokies and Katie is doing broccoli salad. I will put some more thought into it tomorrow. Know we will have plenty to eat. Just finished doing the lawn and off to bed asap. I'm planning on getting smokies and potatoes time permitting . Katie is doing a broccoli salad. I think 3 ish on Saturday would work for us. Pls bring lawn chairs if it's not to much trouble as the kids don't have a lot chairs and the rest we can wing. See you all then. 

So the last two weeks in June my home is swimming lesson headquarters for Josie and Maddie. Carole will be glad to drink wine with you guys. Connie will be glad to join us to play bridge (Mary Ann is out of town). Text me from the road to give travel updates and ETA. It other words it will be a chaotic evening--planned just on account of your visit. Have a great week end. Bob sends greetings etc and I will of course have a fuller report after I have seen them. Love ya both. 
 
Hi The food looks amazing - thank goodness you cycle so much otherwise you would weigh 300 pounds. Where did you do for cycling? Yes I did lose the mail about Sandy Hirth, I will check the site. I start work first week of July - crazy in a way, but it is a fun job. I had a great visit with Dinao . She is working in Rae, 1:15 outside Yellowknife in a native elementary school. Very challenging - she wasn't sure if she was going to renew her contract, but Ron and I strongly encouraged her to do another year. It looks like she is going to return.

Al was diagnosed with Stage 4 prostrate cancer, did I tell u this? That was the main reason for my visit - just to hang out. He is on Hormone Therapy and heading for radiation. It is such a drag! We had such a good visit- I had to replace you and forced him to ride with me. He had a lot if lymph nodes removed in January so he has weakness and swelling in his rt leg. So the moral of the story keep doing what you are doing!! I'm enroute home now sitting in AC lounge enjoying a glass of wine. Ok I'm signing out- thanks for the email and stay in touch. I will send you some pics but they are on my phone. Lol Take care say hi to Corrine- come to Celtic Colours. Rhoda
    
 
Hi Ski! Sorry we couldn't connect on this last visit. Terribly distressed to learn about Al's diagnosis. Stage 4 prostate cancer doesn't sound particularly good. What is the prognosis? Please send along our heartfelt thoughts at this very difficult time. Very pleased to hear that you are back at Celtic Colours. Would love to attend but this year probably won't work for a variety of reasons, unfortunately. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and The Great Ronaldo. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Left at just after 11:15 am, having devoured a large plate of yesterday's wonderful potatoe salad, made by Lady Dar, and Rosita's fabulous baked beans. Knew I'd need the fuel as I wanted to hit at least 120 km. Furthermore, wind was certainly going to be a significant factor. [It was howling at 26 kph WNW, at 11:00 am, 28 kph WNW at noon, at 30 kph WNW between 1:00 pm -2:00 pm, back to 28 kph WNW at 3:00 pm, then dropped to 26 kph WNW at 4:00 pm, finally 24 kph WNW at 5:00 pm.] Nevertheless, I decided I'd simply have to gear down and do my best whenever I was riding into the head wind so started out, barely able to make any headway as I began my dipsy-doodle into the Falcon town-site. Must say, I wasn't looking forward to the long ride at this point but once I was en route to West Hawk I was soon zipping along.

Even the dipsy-doodle into West Hawk went well and it wasn't until I was making for Penniac Bay that the real struggle began and lasted all the way to the turn-off for Brereton Lake. Before that, leaving WH, I had achieved an AVG of about 22.3 kph but this had dropped to 18.5 kph as I made for Brereton Lake itself. Due to the direction I was now riding, the wind was more of a cross-wind. [Good thing as when I looked at the Garmin stats, their system registered the gale at 35 kph WNW!], so I actually made a slight gain by the time I had ridden about 1 km past the turn-off to Inverness Falls Resort and retraced my earlier route, now registering about 19.1 kph. Noticed a number of people cutting up their own fallen trees in front of their cabins as I cycled past the rows of dwellings on both sides of the road here. Had wondered if I might have to dodge a falling branch or two myself given how strong and unrelenting the gusts had been as I headed north. Felt simply wonderful to have a bit of help, by this point, being pushed by the wind rather than being almost stopped in my tracks by it!

Back onto 44 I only had a couple of km to Rennie, bucking the hurricane all the way, so was more than happy that this was the case as I was starting to feel a bit weary. Had 77 km on the clock when I turned around there. Difference in going was immediately apparent. I shifted into my highest gear and was soon racing along, consistently between 25 kph and 33 kph. At this rate it didn't take long before my AVG was back at 20 kph and climbing! Most of the challenge would then be to see if I would be able to maintain this pace. Managed to do so, more or less, for next 20 km and by the time I was nearing Penniac Bay I had managed to push the AVG to 21.1 kph. I was hoping that I'd be able to push it to 22 kph once I was past West Hawk and making for Falcon but the wind was against me and the best I could do was inch up to 21.4 kph. Still, I was quite pleased, given the ferocity of the head wind and the overall distance. Did a quick dipsy-doodle into the Falcon town-site before making for Ace Bay, logging just over 125 km for the ride. Again, very happy as this is a good start towards the 140 km I'd like to complete before we head back to Penticton. Now it is definitely time for seven of Pam's lime Margaritas! Cheers, "Patrón Silver Tequila" Patrizzio! Map and Stats for Ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1222118460#.V2ht6GTUqVk.email

Pam and Jim, would you please fw this mail to all on your respective mailing lists. Thanks. Note this is for tonight! Hello all, Below I a message from Al Tinka. Cheers, Jim

Greetings to all Pagans, Druids and other Sun worshippers:

Tomorrow is the day of the Summer Solstice and many good reasons to celebrate this significant event. Furthermore, we will have a full moon. I will be celebrating and if you would care to join me, you are most welcome.

The theoretical sunset and moonrise  happen within a minute of each other: Sunset at 9:09 and Moonrise at 9:08, but due to our horizon line not being flat and low, the shift will be approx 1/2 hr earlier and later. I will be hiking up the NW knoll of the Giant Head in Summerland, which takes about 20 min of good hiking. I will not be going up to the summit, because we would have to walk up and down, since the gate gets closed at 9:00 pm. So:

  • Meet at IGA at 8:00 pm, or at the gate at 8:10 (Pentictonites at HH at 7:40)
  • Carpool and drive to the gate (parking is limited)
  • Start hiking at 8:15
  • Reach the knoll summit by 8:30-8:40
  • Wait for the Sunset
  • Observe, celebrate, pray, sing, dance, hug and reflect on this cosmic miracle
  • Refreshments are allowed
  • Wait for the Moonrise
  • Repeat the above
  • Walk down and drive home

The Solstice, the Sunset and the Moonrise happen regardless of the weather. If we are lucky, we will see them. If not, we will use our imagination. In case of no moonlight, please bring a flashlight, or a headlamp. Already in the spirit, Al

Hello Pagans, Druids, Sun Worshippers and any other lunatic fringe Sects or Cults that are out there! I'd certainly love to join the fun and festivities this evening but I'm too, too busy splitting wood to make the venue! I know, without question, you'll have a wonderful time, especially if Tyrannosaurus Tinka is involved. Please howl at the moon for me. Fondestos from Lady Dar to one and all. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

there is no telling peoples taste .happy anniversary sounds wild but glad everyone is safe; GLASGOW

Hi Glasgow! I really don't understand the fondness for Dublin either! Not sure if Guinness can compete with Talisker! Anyway, I'm drinking tequila now so I'm not to be reckoned with! One of my best rides today. Time to head to bed and finish Stuart MacBride's Song for the Dying, set in fictional Oldcastle but probably Aberdeen is used as the backdrop. Makes Glasgow look like a model community! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Five juvenile deer gamboling in the field just down the road from where the tree feel down! Ayn saw them on her walk this morning and they were still there when we went back ten minutes later. Tried to get some of them in background but they wouldn't cooperate!

Hi Patrizio, Don’t want to beat the proverbial dead horse, but not sure how you can run a bridge group but it is in the sticks so maybe…..Anyways, too bad you can’t come with us to Phuket for our long stay. It’s going to be a good one and, of course, lots of time to play bridge together. Update - We were at the Penguin’s last night and played bridge with the other 90’s lady we know (92 this week!) Gladys Knight. Lovely time and we reminisced about all the great times we had at your place. When are you moving back? We miss you. Charlie 

Hi Champagne! I really don't understand why you find it so difficult to understand that I'm much in demand as a bridge partner! Anyway, I'm drinking tequila now so I'm not to be argued with! Glad to hear that Gladys Knight & the Pips are still performing. We miss her and The Penguin, and the Burnaboids, of course. Don't think we'll be coming back any time soon so you'll all have to come up and learn how to bid properly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

.... it is obvious you are letting all the others do the work ...!Greetings from the Valley of Heaven Hello VOH People! Glad to hear you are back in Paradise! How was your holiday? How is my favouritie bridge partner? How is your knee? Can't waste time on chopping wood. Too much cycling to do! Cheers, Patrizzio!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment