Sunday 5 June 2016

Invasion of the Summerlandian Blues: Sunday, June 5th!

I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy. -J.D. Salinger 



Hello to Our Favourite Dry Creekers! Lovely to hear from you! Thanks so much for the "Grumpy Winemaker" discount! Much appreciated, of course! With respect to our anniversary bash, you didn't see Flamin' as she was away in Calgary that weekend, enjoying a wild time in Canmore, (near Banff, David!), with a bevy of girlfriends! Must away as I plan to do the first couple of GranFondo sections. I'm riding in this event, July 10th, 160 km. Hope to raise some money for Grandmothers for Africa, a group Lady Dar has joined since moving here. Fondestos from both Chloë and Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello to Our Favourite Goldilocks People! Lovely to hear from you! Thanks so much for being at home in the house you own this time around! Look forward to seeing everyone, so thanks, of course, We'll phone, on the road, past Regina, once we have a better idea of when we should arrive, if that is okay.
Cheers, Patrizzio!


By the time I'd had a substantial breakfast, (overlefts fry-up!), I wasn't suited and lubed up and ready to roll until 10:45 am. Day looked and felt like it might be a scorcher so I knew I'd have the sun, (27.2º), to battle as well as the wind, (20 kph N). This being the case I started to re-evaluate my overall route. Had wanted to do the Summerland and OK Falls sections of the GranFondo but once I'd climbed Vancouver and was racing down Upper Bench, the thought of having to battle the fierce wind, on the return leg, along exposed Eastside, was far too daunting. Therefore, I decided I'd rather explore Upper Summerland, once I'd climbed Peach Orchard, so this is just what I did.

Once I'd found my bearings past the round-about leading to Victoria, (I dipsy-doodled here, going as far north as Blair Street and then, after a series of connector streets, back to Victoria where I took Prairie Valley Road west out past SummnerGate Winery and as far as the beginning of the climb to the Rodeo Grounds. I'd been over this route quite a few times, driving it with the hiking group, so knew, more or less, what to expect. However, since it was so hot I decided I'd not ride this very exposed section and turned around to make my way back to Cartwright Avenue. We'd driven here a week or so ago and I knew it didn't go all that far but was still interested to see which streets radiated off it. [I was actually looking for Garnet Valley Road and learned,later, that if I'd continued along Victoria to Jones Flat Road and made a left, I'd have been homefree! Next time!] 

After I climbed the hill at the end of Cartwright and did a quick run into one of the short side-streets there, I made my way back to PVR as with the distance I'd logged I knew I'd need to cycle to the Summerland Golf & Country Club before returning to Victoria Rd S. I've done the route to the golf course a number of times and it is a good pull but not a crippling one. Once I'd rung my bell as loudly and as often as I was able, at both the tees and greens I passed,  so as to throw off the golfers' swings and putts. I whistled back to VR and then it was pretty much downhill until the short climb, off Lewes Ave, up Hillborn and then it really was zoom city as I flew down, first Happy Valley then Gartrell to be back on 97 in minutes. 

For the most part the wind pushed me along but seemed to be a bit of cross-breeze, at times, so I had to work harder than I wanted on some of the flatter stretches. Furthermore, I only had 80 km on the clock when I turned into Red Wing so I spent the next 20 minutes or so racing back and forth along the straightaways there to push the odometre reading to 90 km before I headed back to Riverside. Needed two extended dipys-doodles here to clock enough distance so that when I finally raced up White and into our back yard I had made the first 101 km ride in quite a bit. Very pleased, overall, although I would have been much happier if I could have pushed the AVG to 19 kph but I was denied that, recording 18.9 kph. The wind on the outward bound leg and the many significant climbs I'd encountered just never let me build up enough of cushion to achieve the base 20 kph which I strive reach. Day before, doing the same route but only on the flat, to Crescent Beach and back I'd managed 23 kph so the hills and the wind gods will keep one down, for sure! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1200425866#.V1WJWntaKeY.email


Sara Jane McGillivray Hi Pat. Despite the wind, this sounds like a great ride. And, if I calculated correctly, your departure time and average speed conspired to have you home pretty much at cocktail time!! Well done. Happy trails.

That's what I like about you, Wonder Woman, you always have your priorities straight!  
 
With respect to Happy Trails, Chloë arrived this past Friday to house-sit while we are in Manitoba for Clara's/Dusty's 71st wedding anniversary. Ayn will fly up for the celebration. In fact, we leave very early Wednesday morning as we will drive to Medicine Hat the first day to overnight with close friend, Zircon, aka Jim Hillson. 

Once at Falcon Lake I will be begin an overly vigorous and demanding training regimen, (including steroid supplements and blood doping for dopes!), for the July 10th GranFondo! Hope to up my distance to 140 km before we head back to Penticton at the end of the month. The terrain is much flatter, of course, although there are a number of short, quite steep climbs I can use to approximate some of the ascents I'll face during the event. I'll be riding to raise money for Grandmothers for Africa this year, an organization lady Dar has joined since we moved to Penticton. Onward! Fight!! Cheers!!!Cactus, from front, xeriscape garden Lady Dar puts on my saddle to keep me moving!

Hi Weasel Work Woman! Tough ride indeed! I called the Wine Centre and person I spoke to there said you were not scheduled to work on Sunday! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment