Tuesday 14 June 2016

Rennie La Verendrye Voyageur Trail Blues: Tuesday, June 14th

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. -Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)


Hi Lynette! Buona Fortuna with move! Must say, I'd rather be riding than lugging boxes and more! Have done enough of that for awhile! However, we both know it will be well worth the time and effort.

Thought of you yesterday when I rode past
the turn-off to Daryl's place. Going to be doing much the same route this morning, only longer. Heading out to Rennie and plan to log my first 100 km ride of the stay. Up at 8:00 am as I need to be on the road by 10:00 am at the very latest. Don't want to be out in the blazing afternoon sun too long. Off to Winnipeg tomorrow, for the day, as Clarisse has a number of errands. Hope to see some friends and relatives while she is at her various appointments.

Talked to Chloë last night and she said she has not had to water the garden and other plants as it has been raining so much! Ayn flies into Winnipeg on Thursday so we'll see her on Friday when Patti, (Cora Lee's sister from Petawawa arrives that morning.), will drive them out. Then the fun begins! Again, all the best with move! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: Door to Durston's small sauna. I've taken to turning it on once I'm back from a ride. Doesn't take long to heat up and the sessions are really good for my sore leg muscles!
I might dismantle it and bring it back to Penticton for post-hike/bike outings!

Hello Famiglia Robson! Sounds like some wonderful hikes you are organizing, Filipo! Truly sorry I can't join some of them. Guess I'll have to start calling you Raptor Robson now that you've displaced Tyrannosarus Tinka!

Thought of you yesterday, Jack Rabbit, when on my ride to West Hawk and beyond.
Much of the highway, (Really the same sort of road as Naramata Road!), is part of the Voyageur Trail as it follows the same route as the voyageurs took, bringing furs from inland posts to Fort William. I gather it has been raining quite a bit! How has this affected the hikes? All the best to the gang. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Whirlwind Woman and Elusive Lamperts! Sorry about calling you Colin! Cut-and-paste mistake! Thanks for compliments on humming-bird shots. Glorious creatures!

Looks like we might have a bit of difficulty connecting, given your busy lives and our own schedule. We are off to Winnipeg tomorrow, for the day, as Clarisse has a number of errands. Have some time to see friends and relatives while she is at her various appointments. Unfortunately, I gather you are probably too, too busy with report writing, but certainly let us know if there is an opportunity
Next time will be on Tuesday, June 21st, when we drive Ayn to airport. We haven't yet decided the date we will be heading back but probably around the 27th to spend the night in Kenton to put us home on June 29th after overnighting in Medicine Hat on June 28th. Have to be back to host Swiss Freeloaders! Perhaps that day, Monday, for lunch somewhere. Alternatively, if you and Amy wanted to drive out to Falcon on the weekend, 25th or 26th, we might be able to hook up with Gloria and Greg, if they are around. You can always call and we can chat. Do hope we can arrange something, however fleeting. Any more word on Gerry Lenton from his sister? Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Amy. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
 
Happiest of Happy Birthday's Colonel Klink! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! For She's a Jolly Good Fellow!!! Hip Hip Hooray! Congratulations and Cheers from Lady Dar & Patrizzio! Thank you Patrick! You have combined my love of birds and wine and made me laugh as well. Thank you and see you soon.
Colleen 
Hi Colleen! Glad you enjoyed the card. From reports I've received sounds like a grand time has been had by all, wine-tasting rather than biking! Take care of yourself, Colonel! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Although I had fully intended to be on the road by 10:00 am I didn't actually make it out the door until 10:45 am. Had a fab breakfast of delicious overlefts as I knew I'd need lots of fuel for ride ahead. Unfortunately, my Garmin's satellite was still in bed when I set out and I couldn't acquire a connection for some time. This being the case, I headed out to the South Shore while the technology sorted itself out. Finally heard the "ping" that indicates the satellite has been acquired so I turned around, just past the causeway, and made for West Hawk. Bit of a dipsy-doodle into the town-site as I knew I'd need about 5km here to add to the total, if I was going to reach my goal. 

Whizzed along towards Faloma and Toniata, two small beaches/campsites between Falcon and WH, but was not at all happy about this as I knew I'd have to pay the piper on way home. Would rather fight such a strong wind on the the outward bound leg when I've more energy but, as Mick croons, "You can't always get what you want!" Decided I'd try to push the AVG as high as I could, with the benefit of wind, so that I'd have more wriggle room on way home when it would drop precipitously, I feared. Did just that, doing another dipsy-doodle at West Hawk to give me just the right amount of additional distance and I was off to Rennie. Quite enjoyed the ride there as most of it was over ground I'd not ridden since last summer and with the help of Aeolus I was riding down Main Street, (a car dealership, a hotel/pub and general store!), by shortly before. 1:30 pm. Distances I'd calculated earlier were spot on and so I turned around almost as soon as I hit town and then the fun started!

Wind was fierce, fierce, fierce! Shades of Iona on a howling day if you understand the reference. What was most disconcerting was the fact that I knew I was going to be struggling against it all the way home, basically the next 50 km! [I didn't know it at the time but the wind was blowing at 11 kph SE at the start of the ride and between 17 kph ESE-18 kph ESE by the time I left Rennie!] Nothing to do but put my head down and start swearing as I plugged away. Took to riding in a low gear and then alternating in a higher one as I stood up and tried to gain some speed as well as relieve my legs which told me they were pretty tired almost as soon as we started to battle the head wind. 

I don't know whether I simply got used to the effort but after 10 km or so, I feel into a rhythm of sorts and every so often the twists and turns in the highway would give me a bit of a break form the full force of the wind. Also, had to be grateful that it was not nearly as warm as I assumed it would be. Quite a bit of high cloud cover and with the wind I was not at all uncomfortably warm. Even saw a bit of wildlife as I scared a deer, on the way out, munching on the grass of the shoulder and the poor animal ran parallel to the road for quite some time until it finally bounded off into the forest. Not long after I saw a small mound in the middle of road ahead and almost upon it, it came to life and a small muskrat scampered into the reeds. Not sure if it was sunning itself or chewing the tarmac to create the many potholes that the highway crew I passed, coming the other way, was filling with asphalt.

When I left Rennie my AVG was 22.5 kph and when I reached the turnoff to Falcon I was struggling to keep it above 20.5 kph. Was hoping, if the wind wasn't directly in my face on the last 10 km or so, that I might be able to push the needle back up to 21 kph. My hopes were high when I reached 20.9 kph as I turned into the Falcon town-site but try as I might, on the last straighaway, I couldn't push the odometre any higher. Still, I was more than pleased to be back home and out of the damn hurricane, logging my first 100+ km ride of the visit. Hip Hip Hooray!  Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1212820966#.V2B0g0Yzl4Y.email

Hi Patrick Thanks for your email. We are all well and have just become grandparents again. Michelle gave birth to a 7lb 8 oz baby boy on Friday . They are calling him Daniel Van Carter. All seem to be doing well although David still looks "stunned". All the family, except the new parents, got together for the walk for juvenile diabetes in Stanley park on Sunday. Polly and I cycled down did the walk and cycled back which was a good test for my knees. It was a lovely sunny day for the walk and Stanley park was at its best, and it's still one of my favorite walks.
 
Also visited hobbsy at the weekend as he was in UBC hospital for a knee replacement. He seems OK and hopefully he will soon be able to walk again and join us on the golf course. I am getting in two games of golf per week and two trips to the gym so keeping quite active for an old codger.
 
We will try and call Chloe and drop in during our week in Naramata , which starts this Sunday . We have rented two cabins again and the forecast for the week looks fine so with all the family together should be a special week. I intend to get down to OK falls and revisit the wineries we visited with you both last summer, can't wait. Cheers for now Mick

Hi New Grandparents! Congratulations indeed! Wonderful, wonderful news. Please pass along same to Michelle and "Dazed" Davey! Also, best wishes to Sir Andrew. Does he actually have any joints of his own left? Glad you are keeping active and trust you'll be biking in Naramata. If you do visit Chloë you might want to combine it with a KVR ride on the west side of Skaha, starting just past the turnoff to the airport. If you don't know it, it is a gorgeous ride and goes all the way to OK Falls. Have a support vehicle collect you there and then go wine tasting! 
 
Try Synchromesh, Meyer Family Vineyards and Noble Ridge. View from latter is spectacular. Might as well hit Stag's Hollow and Wild Goose while in that neck of the woods. En route, Pentâge Winery, off Eastside, en route to OK Falls. Fabulous view above Skaha Bluffs. In Naramata, I highly recommend Terravista, (whites only but remarkable), Deep Roots, (particularly their Syrah), Marichel, Black Widow, Moraine and Upper Bench for both cheese and wine. But you probably know most of this. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick; Thanks for your note! I hope your bike is all fixed up now and that the weather is cooperating. The sisterhood is out this morning biking and we're meeting for lunch to celebrate Colleen's 70th birthday. I had to pass on the biking because I had to see my doctor regarding a tick bite I sustained coming out of the Ashnola (my backpack 10 days ago). The trip was fabulous, great weather and company and lovely vistas. 

Bridge isn't the same without you.... we had a good time at Gill and Phil's place and tonight it is at Olly's place. After our last THursday hike she offered and provided coffee. She has a lovely home which is a mecca for the birds- lots of bird houses and a bird bath. The place was teeming! I had to laugh at your description of the hummingbird that was asking for some syrup upon it's return to the north! 

Last weekend I went to the coast to visit with my brother and his family. A friend from church was going down to see James Taylor in concert and enjoyed having the company. It was nice to see my bro and I will return in July to visit them at their cottage on the sunshine coast...Well Patrick, I hope you and Lady Dar are having a lovely time with the in-laws. I and the hiking group send you our regards! Cheers, Pam

Hi Social Whirlwind Girl! Glad you enjoyed your backpacking but distressed to learn about your tick bite! I trust things are well in hand with respect to this. You are too kind about being missed at bridge but I'm glad everyone is enjoying playing. We've been duking it out here and so far Dusty and I are ahead of The Sisterhood! Will probably be enjoying silly card games that all the family, from young children to seniors, can play once rest of gang start to arrive on Friday. Thanks for regards from the hiking gang. From the reports, looks like I'm missing some terrific outings. Take care of yourself, Kid! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Frank & Maggie Carr would like to rent out our low maintenance, 1428 sq ft, strata, upscale patio home (no stairs), fully furnished & equipped. Was a lot of personal info so not really for wide public distribution. But if you knew someone interested, you have most of the info. Pix are available should some interest be shown. Thx. Maggie👍��👏��  Hi Parksville Landlady! At the moment, don't know of anyone who might be interested in your place but I'll certainly steer people your way if I hear anything. Sounds like a wonderful spot indeed! Quite enjoying being back "home"! Cheers, Patrizzio!

hi Patrick, thanks for this.ah Falcon Lake. brings back such happy memories. please say hi to everyone. i hope this time on your way across you stayed in the right cabin this time; take care matt Hi Glasgow! Glad to hear you are "pining" for Falcon! Durstons send their regards. Quite enjoying being back "home", myself, however! Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Heard from Mick that Sir Andrew just had a knee replacement. Perhaps you already know this.
 
Hi to you both,and good to hear all going well - send my hugs to Corinne. We had bridge here last week and going to Ollie's tonight. Celebrated Colleen's birthday today and did a tour of the winery's past OK falls on the bikes - went up to Blue mountain winery again. Just phone us when you are back. bye for now Gill
 
 
Hi Jack Rabbit and Phillipo! I'm glad everyone is enjoying playing. From reports I've received sounds like a grand time has been had by all. We've been duking it out here and so far Dusty and I are ahead of The Sisterhood! Will probably be enjoying silly card games that all the family, from young children to seniors, can play once rest of gang start to arrive on Friday. Take care of yourselves! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment