Friday 3 June 2016

Jack Rabbit Naramata Painted Rock Blues: Friday, June 3rd!

'Writing' is the Latin of our times. The modern language of the people is video and sound. -Lawrence Lessig, professor and political activist (b. 3 Jun 1961) 


Good for all who can make it for bridge at our house, on Spiller road - turn left at the landfill and we're 1.5 km past landfill on LHS. Please let us know who is coming. See you Gill and Phil


[Henie Reisinger© Finally shook it at the shack! No lines and boom! Shake Shack West Hollywood, CA ‪#‎ShakeShackWeHo‬ --- Definitely a gluttonous experience!]


After suiting and lubing up, I left the house around 9:15 am to do a quick "route regulare", PTC, Lakeshore/Riverside before heading up Vancouver to meet Jack Rabbit at Township 7. SHe was there, ready and waiting, when I arrived, just before 10:00 am and we headed along Naramata Road. Just a slight head-wind so our progress was more than pleasant and we enjouyed the magnificent views of the vineyards and silver surface of the lake beyond. We had discussed our route over the course of Monday's hike and were making for Painted Rock. On the way there we decided we'd go as far as the first cattle guard on the road to Chute Lake and then turn around. When here, I suggested we head down into the Village, first taking Partridge, off Naramata and then Boothe Road to swoop down to the lakeshore. Gilliana had never taken this route before so she was pleased to learn about it.

Once beside the lake, off !st, Jack Rabbit wanted to stop for a bit eto eat so I left her, nibbling away, while I rode up Robinson, in search of Bartlett Road. Friend, Katarina, one of Colleen's Colleens, live in Naramata and had shown Gilliana an alternative route back to Naramata, rathre than taking Old Main. I had never cycled this route before so was keen to find anything not as steep as latter!. Bartlett is two side streets past the school and once I found it I went back to collect Picnic Person. She was refueled by then and so I suggested we ride past the Naramata Centre, en route to Bartlett. Looping around on Ellis Avenue we met Bartlett and proceeded along it, climbing steadily all the while, although grade wasn't punishing, until it intersects with Lower Debeck Road.

Once there, the terrain started to look familiar and I soon realized that along with Flamin' and Sarge, we had spent a number of nights in a B&B, further down the hill, on Hayman Road, a few years ago. Very good climb from here until one reaches the top of the hill, coming out on Naramata close to the Fire Hall and sub-station, just past Robinson. Rest of the ride went quickly as the cross-wind was more of a help than a hindrance. However. almost form the very start of our ride together, leaving Township 7, I noticed that my chain was still slipping in the high gears and I was unable to stand up in the saddle on most of the hills. Felt a bit frustrated as I had had a new chain put on when the rear wheel puncture was fixed, last Monday, so knew I'd have to return to Freedom at the end of the ride. Just past La Frenz, thanked Jack Rabbit for the terrific outing and for showing me a new route out of the Village. Waved goodbye when she stopped at her car, parked near the bottom of Reservoir Road, and made my way, along Upper Bench, to Government and then to Freedom.

When the mechanic there looked at the chain and gear assembly, he diagnosed the problem as a loose cassette, so he tightened it and then took the bike for short test ride. While I was waiitng I chatted with Josh, one of the regualr staff I've dealt with many times before, and menioned I'd just been past Legend Distillery where we'd bumped into each other at the end of the evening of Jugos' 70th. Didn't realize that he is married to Shayna, the chef who prepared the wonderful birthday meal. He is also a chef and together they have the contract for the kitchen there! It was close to noon by this time and Shayna popped by, carrying a boxed lunch for the three of them as their son, a lad of about four or five, was there when I first walked into the shop. Circles and circles! 

Anyway, once back. mechanic thought shifting should be fine but if not I'll probably need cassette replaced. Thanking him for friendly, efficient service, I rode home, more than pleased with the wonderful outing.  Found Lady Dar almost finished painting the last panel of the fence, the back lane side. SHe needed to move both compsot bins and the recycling and garbage bins but nothing would stand in her way! There is little doubt that she is Dusty's daughter! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1196727920#.V1HiYjgAsjM.email


Hi Shayna and Joshua! Thought I'd send along the album of snaps I took at Legend. Thanks again for all the wonderful, wonderful food and fabulous time. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Farmer's Market Bliss! Hi Leigh! Have been meaning to send this along for ages! Trust we'll see you tomorrow. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment