Friday 24 June 2016

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag Blues: Friday, June 24th!

History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins, editor and author (24 Jun 1915-1990)


Hi Chloë! Great to chat last night! In case you don't know about this, (You probably do!), I thought I'd send it along. Just going for a short "stretch" ride this morning, with David. Once back I'll start packing up the car as we are off to Winnipeg on Saturday morning. Hello to all your new best friends in Penticton and Naramata! Cheers and Love, Dad! 

Hi Uncle Giorgio! I'm colour blind as well but your sister won't buy me those glasses as she wants to control all the colour schemes at our place! Tough being married to a Durston! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Good to hear from you, Patrizzio. I'm now in St. Albert, AB visiting, having BBQ
drinks etc with my sisters. Tomorrow early I'm off to Calgary with a girlfriend
to spend the weekend with another life long friend to celebrate a 60th birthday
with guests arriving from everywhere......big party happening! I'll be back to Edmonton Sunday night to spend another week with son, Dean, Chloe and grand kids. Unfortunately, there is no hiking or bridge for me for these
three weeks......boo hoo! But I'll set up again when I get home July 5th.
Please count me in for bridge on Tuesday night July 6th. Thanks, hugs to both


Hi Party Polga! Glad to hear that you are having such a wonderful time with friends and family. Quite a coincidence that your son's wife is named "Chloe"! Just talked to our Chloë last night and there was quite a rain storm as we chatted. In fact, there has been a fair bit of rain since we left. Not so good for hiking, I imagine, but our garden has been growing like crazy!

We've not played as much bridge as I'd hoped we would. Too busy socializing like you! Will stay overnight in Medicine Hat on Tuesday, June 28th, and our host has already lined up a game so looking forward to that. You mentioned Wednesday, July 6th, for bridge. Has the night been changed? That's fine but I just wanted to confirm before I send out a message to see who is keen to play. Let me know when you have a moment.

Last night here in Falcon. After I finish a few more messages I will pack the car as we are driving into Winnipeg on Saturday morning for the weekend and will start wending our way home on Monday. We are having a pot-luck at the new home of the daughter of the cousin who lives near Brandon, tomorrow afternoon. My other cousin, Sally, and her husband, Filmer, who also live in the city,  will be attending, along with all the family from Kenton so should be fun. Fondestos to you from Lady Dar. Cheers, my Darling Rolly Polly, Patrizzio


When he popped by yesterday afternoon, David and I had agreed that we would go riding this morning, anytime after 10:00 am. I called around 9:30 am to confirm but could only leave a message. Called a number of times after that, [I was in no hurry and was watching the news coverage from the UK after the vote to leave the EU!] When I still had not reached him by 10:30 am Clara looked at her address book and realized that the number she had given me was off by one digit! This corrected, I reached David as soon as I called and since I was ready to leave, headed out to the South Shore a minute or so later. The wind was blowing pretty strongly, 15 kph S @11:00 am and increased to 17 kph S @1:00 pm so whenever we were riding into it had to struggle. Nevertheless, I was really only interested in stretching my leg muscles, after yesterday's outing, so was glad that I didn't have to contend with such a head wind for any prolonged amount of time or distance.

I zipped along to the end of the tarmac and then rode into David's place to collect him. I paused my Garmin until he was ready to go but when I initated it, device started a new ride! Just as well since I'd obviously touched the Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader! At any rate, we beetled along, chatting about one thing and another. After a short dipsy-doodle into the Falcon town-site we hit the road for West Hawk. Decided I'd take a short detour into Toniata, once we reached the turn-off for this particular beach. I had not ridden here this visit so was keen to see it again. On the way there David mentioned that he knew a couple who had their trailer there and when we rode to the campsite he bumped into his friend, on her own bike, close to their spot. He stopped for a brief chat and a drink of water while I circled. After a number of circuits around the small trailer site I said I'd meet him back on the road to West Hawk. He said he wouldn't be long and I waved goodbye to his friends and proceeded to climb back up the fairly long hill. 

Once back on PR 301 I headed back towards Falcon while I was waiting for David. Shortly after I turned around I saw him ahead of me. I was about 1 km behind but thought I'd be able to catch up. He must have been zipping along as I only caught sight of him again on the last straight stretch before turn-off to West Hawk. Then there is a slight hill and no sight of him when I turned towards WH. Assumed he might wait for me near the gas station. [Once back, I learned that he had headed to Ingolf so that is why we never connected: Patrick,

While I managed to lose you on the road, I am most glad that you prompted me to get out. I ended up going to Ingolf and returning...nice ride. D] Again, no David, patiently waiting, so I decided to do my regular highway/beach loop. Did the latter twice as I needed a tad more distance before I headed back to Falcon.
Had managed to push my AVG to about 20.4 kph by this time and assumed it would drop as I was heading almost straight into the head wind for most of the rest of the way home. However, I suppose the direction was more of a cross-wind for some of the time and when I reached the final straightaway I had it up to 20.6 kph even though the gusts were horrendous. Still, I was very pleased as, adding the first ride to the South Shore, I topped out at 65 km. Terrific stretch ride indeed! Sorry to be leaving this training ground as we are off to Winnipeg tomorrow and then will start our journey back to Penticton on Monday. Map and Stats for ride, Part I: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1227214514#.V22UZ-08KlQ.email

Map and Stats for ride, Part II:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1227214533#.V22T4XeINzk.email

Hi David! I saw you as you rode up the small hill past turn-off to Toniata. I had gone towards Falcon for a km or so while waiting but you were too, too speedy for me to catch up. I saw you again on last straight stretch before turn-off to West Hawk and assumed you went there, as opposed to Ingolf! At any rate, glad you went there as it is a very pleasant ride. Hello to Karen. Corinne is off golfing shortly but expects to be back by 8:30 pm so you can give her a shout then to finalize details for tomorrow. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Sorry we are headed back as it would have been most enjoyable to do a couple of more rides, together! My account below, if interested.


Hi all, Left Glasgow on Wednesday and picked up a car. Then drove to Oban for the night. Of course, visited the Oban Distillery. Thursday we headed to the Isle of Skye, home of Talisker. Found a great little distillery and bought a 21 year old Poit Dhubh, a fantastic single malt. Then it was on to Inverness and our hotel. Friday we woke up to a Britain gone mad. Nothing we can do about it, so time to check out more maltage. Started with Tomatin, and their great new blend, Cu Bocan. Then it was on to Dallas Dru and Benromach. Afterwards we took a side trip to Fort George, an old and currently in use military Fort. Stopped back at the hotel briefly, then went down to Loch Ness. Sad to say, but we saw no monster. Last stop of the day was Glen Ord. Very nice place, and a great selection of malts. Tomorrow we are off to Aberdeen. Colin

Hi Highland Folk! Glad to hear that you are having such a wonderful time, discovering new malts! [I'll have to make do with looking for something I've not seen back in BC at the Grant Park Liquor Mart, (Manitoba's equivalent of a Signature store.), when we are in Winnipeg as we won't be driving through Calgary on way home.] Fondestos to your entourage from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hello Everybody, Excuse this open mail. Here is an message from the journey.
After leaving Vancouver on Tuesday morning, we had a wonderful visit to Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park yesterday and this morning. Ellie and I loved camping here beside the slow moving Milk River. I was able to get a few sketches done there too. The shallow valley is lined with sandstone formations, eroded into weird and unexpected formations, known as hoodoos. No wonder the Blackfoot people found the place so sacred. Apparently strong spirits ruled here and it was said that one could gain special powers here too.

Ellie and I are tired but today was great. We drove for over 5 hours and about 250 km, to get to Val Marie, a village in SE Saskatchewan. Of that, 150 km was on gravel highways and grid roads. Albertans warned us about the paved roads in Saskatchewan – that they were bumpy and patched – better for the old car though then gravel (fortunately no flats).

We are both fighting off mild colds and I am exhausted from the drive today, but we are very happy to have arrived at the cozy Sky Story B&B, here in Val Marie. Diana the owner is very nice. Also, we had three antelope sightings today and the prairie was absolutely sublime and empty. We had all kinds of weather too, between 14ºC and 28ºC, during the day with rain storms and sunshine. See video taken by Ellie.

This is as far east as we will go. Tomorrow we go for the morning to Grasslands National Park, before turning northwest to Eastend. Tomorrow night we are at the Spring Valley Guest Ranch, near the Cypress Hills.
http://www.springvalleyguestranch.com/about.htm

Will post some of this later on Facebook but for now, an email message. We will be home on June 30. Best Wishes from this Val Marie with its gravel streets and friendly folks. We are loving Saskatchewan. Bob and Ellie

The tour sounds interesting. We just did a small tour very close to the campsite. We were able to walk to where the tour began. A tour was the only way to see the petroglyphs. Glad you enjoyed your time there.

Hello, Ellie and I loved our campsite last night, here by the Milk River, in Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park. Went on a tour of the archaeological area in the middle of the afternoon. We were taken in a small bus – some twenty of us – to see First Nations rock art. It was along the base of row of cliffs, heavy eroded, by not very high. The Blackfoot tribes, and others considered this place too sacred to stay in for long but the place was revered and regarded as a place that was full of spirits and powers. The humidity and heat was a bit of a trail and it felt like a prairie thunderstorm was on its way – instead the evening turned lovely. See video. Today we are taking #501, a partially gravel highway through the fairly unpopulated southeast corner of Alberta – our goal for tonight it Val Marie, Saskatchewan, a village of 100 souls. Grasslands National Park tomorrow. Best wishes from the road, Bob 



No comments:

Post a Comment