Monday 14 November 2016

Day 58, Post-Op Skill Saw Scrap Lumber Kindling Blues: Monday, November 14th!

No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power. -P.J. O'Rourke, writer (b. 14 Nov 1947)  

Shadow with Skill-saw: Hommage to Vivian Maier

Kakistocracy:

MEANING: noun: Government by the least qualified or worst persons.

ETYMOLOGY: From Greek kakistos (worst), superlative of kakos (bad) + -cracy (rule). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kakka-/kaka- (to defecate), which also gave us poppycock, cacophony, cacology, and cacography. Earliest documented use: 1829.

USAGE: “We must weigh our votes carefully. Else we are in danger of turning America’s time-tested democracy into a kakistocracy.” Dan Warner; The Best Man for the Job Is Not as Easy as it Sounds; The News Press (Fort Myers, Florida); Jan 17, 2016.

 
Hi Monster Truck Man! In fact, I do own the perfect step-ladder! At the moment it is sitting in my office as Lady Dar was using it when painting hallway. Redecoration Project was put on hold while Chloë was visiting for weekend, Cora Lee substituting a paint brush for a mixing bowl! Destructo-Cats use it as a platform to leap onto and through on way to patio door. Duke has perfected distances and now hops, from it, up onto the top of the Murphy bed with designs on the fan blades next!

I appreciate the moniker,
"Señor Kindling", but I think you misunderstand the amount of scrap lumber in question! Really only the nail studded boards that are atop the first row of the firewood I muled the week before my hip-replacement surgery, way, way back in September now! Think I'll use my skill-saw as I don't really want to go to all the trouble of setting up the chop-saw outside.

I can use the two large rounds I kept for chopping blocks to balance boards upon and will remove any nails that might interfere with cuts I will make. Even have a large tub to collect lengths I lop off, a similar scenario to
Madame Thérèse Defarge, the woman who sat beside the guillotine during public executions in Paris in the French Revolution, supposedly continuing to knit in between executions!

Sun is shining so must away to have a bite of brunch to give me strength for the coming attack on the wood pile! Need to herd the Destructo-Cats inside first otherwise they'll be in great danger of losing a paw or two! Bye the bye, Xmas goodies are limited to number of shelves you install. Quite a complicated algorithm but basically one snowball, (peanut butter/Rice Krispy ball covered in chocolate and dipped in coconut), per 100 board feet of shelving, installed and stained, then with books/records arranged thereupon! Still interested or is left-over Halloween candy looking more attractive? Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pic: Trained seal platforms!


Thanks Patrick! These are super photos! Thanks for sharing them! Marjo Thompson Lloyd Gallery Hi Marjo! Glad you enjoyed snaps. Terrific to see you and your parents. Trust we'll bump into each other again in the not too, too distant future. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Corinne and Patrick, Arrived safely on Thursday evening and all is well. This morning it was a pleasure to wake up to sunshine after so much rain. Hope you check up went well Patrick and you are back on fighting form plus busy cycling over the hills and dales of the Okanagan valley once again.

We are still coming up to stay with our friends in Kelowna on Friday as planned for a couple of nights so if it is convenient would like to come and visit you from Sunday onwards. Not sure about timing - what would suit you? As a suggestion how about us arriving around noon? More than happy to make it later on if you already have arrangements for that day so just let me know. Andre has finally purchased a local cellphone but having trouble making it work so will let you know the number when he succeeds. In the meantime, we can always continue to communicate via emails.

Looking forward very much to seeing you both again and catching up with all your news. Much love, Rosemary XXX 


Hi Rosemary! Welcome back! Terrific that we'll see you both soon. Lady Dar will be in touch shortly but anytime you arrive will be fine. If we are not home I'm sure Etta and Duke will entertain you! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

Hi all I have been asked to send this message and attachment to all. Cheers,
Jim                      Parks and Recreation Plan:

Hi All, We urge you, as a supporter of Friends of the Oxbow (FOTO), to attend the Parks and Recreation Master Plan Open House Wednesday, Nov. 16th at the
Penticton Trade and Convention Centre from 4:30 to 7:30 pm. A copy of the
Master Plan is attached. Several of our members attended the Focus Group
meetings that provide input into this plan. At these meetings we expressed
FOTO's desire to rejuvenate the wetland oxbows in the Penticton area. This
will be another opportunity to express the need to better manage our oxbows
and the wetlands they provide.

FOTO is a volunteer advocacy organization and as such relies on the skills
and knowledge of the volunteers that support our goal of preserving the
Penticton Oxbows. There are two areas where assistance is needed. The
first is that of a Hydrologist. His or her knowledge would very helpful as
we formulate our updated Management Plan. The second area is someone to
maintain our Penticton Oxbows website. One of our members has provided
valuable assistance however her time is limited. Please contact me for more
information. Thanks! Bob Anderson, Secretary, Friends of the Oxbow


Patriçio, 1) I understand that Mme Defarge knitted one stitch for for each head … wouldn’t you like that sweater 2) Even with just the flat pieces, thats a wack of kindling … 3) Are there sedatives for cats?

I am happy to put together several thousand board feet of shelving, and will let you know when I can spring myself for a visit. On that note, if you could send me some sketches / descriptions of your proposed shelving, I can check out this place on Marine that sells all sorts of decorative fasteners - aptly named “Fastenal”. See: www.fastenal.com

I plan to check this place out shortly as I hope to use something a bit more classy than deck screws on my future shelving and other projects. I also may look into getting a biscuit joiner.


Hi Biscuit Joiner Boogie Boy! Lady Dar, (aka Mme Defarge), is knitting me such a sweater for Christmas! I think it is her way of sublimating her significant frustration and aggression! Shelving I have in mind is self-supporting, given Dusty's sketches. I'll dig out the paperwork he did and send you some shots to give you an idea. Would like to put them on the wall between the fireplace and front window. 

On the firewood front, I spent a few hours this afternoon, in the glorious sunshine, cutting up the wood that Guillermo and I hauled on Saturday. Filled both of the large bins, (garbage and recycling), that we cannot use anymore since the city changed systems. Knew I'd find a use for them at some point! Perfect storage for such material. Even used a hatchet to split some of the flats as I went along. Couldn't ask for better kindling as wood is about 60 years old! Duke was quite curious but high-tailed it down the side of the house whenever I used saw. Etta never so much as took a look so I guess she took quite a few sedatives!
I was wearing ear plugs, googles and a pair of Lady Dar's Long White Kidskin Leather Formal Gloves she usually wears when shopping at Walmart, so was well protected! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick; Saw Olly today and she is coming! Her flight doesn't leave till Friday. So we don't need another player. Maybe Olly can come with you guys? Parking is a bit of a problem here..... Pam Hi all, Yes, Olly is available for Bridge on Wednesday night and Patrizzio I can pick you up. What do you think? Olly Patrick and Olly, I can drive on Weds. night. I’ll pick you up at 6:15. Olly, if you drive to Patrick’s house I can pick you both up there. Pam Pam, that sounds great. I'll meet you at Patrick's at 6:15. Hugs, Olly

Hi Chauffeur Woman, Olga Polga and Hostess, Spumoni! Great that you can play, Olly, and that Pamela will drive. See you both  here at 6:15 pm when Spumoni will great us at her door with Champagne! Thanks again for allowing me to take wood, in first instance, Pamela. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrizzio, I must admit that is some fine looking firewood! See you on Wednesday. Hugs, Olly

hello Patric Nice profile picture!! Hi Mr Fjord! Great to chat this afternoon! Thanks so much for calling. This address works, so no excuses for not sending long messages now. Came inside after sawing up wood for kindling and rode the stationary bike for an hour, watching another episode of True Detective. [I think the chemistry between Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson is phenomenal. What incredible characters and situations.]  Lady Dar made terrific in-roads on pantry hallway so things are really taking shape on painting front. Take care of yourself, Patrizzio The Younger! Cheers, Patrizzio!

I just watched this and found it very interesting...see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0&t=32s


Run for your life! At a comfortable pace, and not too far ...www.youtube.com

"The fitness patterns for conferring longevity and robust lifelong cardiovascular health are distinctly different from the patterns that... develop peak perform...

Too busy to actually write an email as I have a paper, an assignment, a poem to write for wed. and a meeting to prep for tomorrow. Hope you are both well....... there is light at the end of the tunnel I am getting near to the end of term and will have some more time on my hands then.  Love you! Marilyn xoxo Hi Patrice
Looks like a fabulous function! Unfortunately Colleen and I are drawing a blank on recognizing anyone other than your beautiful wife of course! Can you enlighten us? Cheers, Stanchion and Marilyn Hi Marilyn! Thanks so much for sending this link along. Found it most interesting and helpful. Also looked at the next TED that came up and it was equally informative. Guess I'm glad that one GranFondo a year is all I do and daily rides between 50-60 km. Also reminds me to not exercise, overly vigourously, every day! Onward! Forward!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kids! No reason that you should know any of the folks at Soup Bowls but just wanted to send along a snapshot of life here in Penticton! Know you are both swamped with school and reno work. How goes cabin, Stanchion Man? Buona Fortuna with all your assignments, Marilyn. Will watch video clip tomorrow as I've still to do my lying down exercises and then take a shower before reading in bed. Can hardly wait for latter! Take care of yourselves. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Dom Marcello! Wonderful to chat! Glad all goes so well. Funnily enough, had a call from Patrizzio The Younger, in Oslo, today. He prefers to call rather than use email. I told him about your Skype system so I think he'll investigate it. Cheers, Patrizzio! Yes, great chat! But how did I give you the impression that "all goes so well"? What could be worse than your football team being relegated to the 2nd division??? Marcello Dear Clinically Depressed Football Fan! You misunderstood me! I meant that all was going as swimmingly as could be expected under the most unfortunate of circumstances! Boo Hoo! Cheers, Patrizzio! :-)


Hi Pam: I put a few pics up on Shaw for the Findlay Creek Hike. Paul If anyone wants to see them, the link is: 
Hi Paolo! Trust all goes well. Haven't seen you in ages as with hip surgery I won't be hiking until the spring, now. Thanks for great pictures! Really missing hikes and gang. Cheers, Patrizzio! Couple of pics from Dorothy Tinning/ Findlay Creek what a beautiful day you had! thanks for the photos, Hanneke





 


No comments:

Post a Comment