Tuesday 8 November 2016

Day 52, Post-Op 58th Quadrennial U.S. Presidential Election Blues: Tuesday, November 8th!

Your voice dries up if you don't use it. -Patti Page, singer (8 Nov 1927-2013)


There is no such thing as not voting: you either vote by voting, or you vote by staying home and tacitly doubling the value of some diehard’s vote. -David Foster Wallace, novelist, essayist, and short story writer (1962-2008)

Symphysis:

MEANING: noun: A growing together.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin, from Greek symphysis (growing together), from syn- (with) + phyein (to grow). Earliest documented use: 1578.

Lady Dar is at Oasis, United Church she attends here, this morning, weeding their library so taking out her frustration on their collection since I refuse, in spite of innumerable, not so veiled threats, to go through the boxes and boxes of books I have in our garage! Hi Etta and Duke Fans! I took this by mistake! I didn't realize it was on a video setting! Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

I'll be around you on May 22 at Penticton Lakeside Resort to charge so we could have lunch there. Pat refuses to to stay the night........does not want to bother you. The next day we will be at Watermark Beach Resort in Osoyoos on May 23, I think about 40 miles from you. You could meet us there and stay the night, of course dinner on me. Those are both firm dates since I paid for Banff ahead of time and can't change those dates from May 15-20. Let me know what works for you.........Dave Hi Banff Bound Folk! You really have nailed down your itinerary! However, still do not comprehend Patrizzia's reluctance to stay with us! You will have your own bedroom and bathroom. We have plenty of room and it is not a bother, in the slightest. In fact, we will be very disappointed if you do not bunk at The Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheets Hotel!  We'd be delighted to visit with you in Osoyoos so thank you for the more than generous invitation. I will probably bike there, weather permitting, while Lady Dar will drive.

We had planned to drive down to Tinsel Town for Christmas but might have to re-evaluate our plans if the Trump Tide continues! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Patrizzio! Thank you so much for your report. I'm so happy you're healing from your last surgery, and walking comfortably. You have been lucky there! I've heard of people who haven't! Also happy to hear Flamin' and Sarge are doing well. Please give them my regards next time you talk to them.
 

And, of course, I'm overjoyed that both you and your Lady are on the right side of the fence when it comes to politics. Unfortunately, I'm not so surprised to hear the Liberals are not achieving a lot in Ottawa. I have always thought that, in these times of media dominance, their main asset is their leader "Pretty Boy Floyd". In the Comox Valley they are not called Liberals, but "liberal bastards", especially after the provincial government changed the name of "Ginger Goodwin Road", Ginger, as you probably know, being one more of the legendary union fighters who was, just like my compatriot Joe Hill/Joel Hägglund, murdered by the police.
 

Over here, we're experiencing a surprisingly early winter. Been snowing for five days now, and temperatures are well below zero. About a month and a half early. Good thing we have indoor courts for tennis!

I have been tidying up my house for six weeks now, taking a lot of stuff to Sally Ann. For the rest, it's mostly about seeing friends and relatives, and doing a huge amount of reading. Just finishing a fabulous, biographical book about the master spy Kim Philby, written by Ben Macintyre. I'll never be able to enjoy a spy novel again. In this case, reality certainly often supersedes fiction.
 

A sad thing happened last Sunday. My football team was relegated, after twelve consecutive seasons in the first division, in spite of a heroic series of games in the fall, where they did not lose a single one of the last eight, i.a. beating the hell out of the team that turned out Swedish champions. Having the former coach (left three years ago, after a total of 19 years, as player and coach) over for dinner tonight. Hopefully, he will be back in Gävle very soon. Going back to my darling Jane on 29 December. Planning a trip to Cuba in January. Warm greetings to you and the Lady, hope to see you in not too long, Marcello

Hi Sally Ann Bound Man and Comox Valley Woman! Lovely to chat last night, Gianna, but more than dismayed to learn of the relegation blues of Gefle Idrottsförening! Does this mean I must destroy my football jersey? Don't really need it as we are suntanning here in Penticton! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi you all bridge folk, I hope everyone is well and would like to play some bridge this week. How about my place at 6:30 ish on Wednesday night? Please let me know if can make it; til then have a good one. hugs, Olly Hi "Pass When I Have  Opening Points" Olga Polga, et al!
 

Sorry for not sending out a message earlier but I think it is the turn of The Burns Street Bridge Club to host our weekly card game! Thank you for offering, Rolly Polly, but you did so, [Wonderfully, I gather!], last week and Penticton town is now crying out for attention! Furthermore, while in Vancouver I managed to score an unbelievable number of exceptional bridge prizes which cannot be distributed in Summerland! Unless everyone wishes to play amidst the chaos of a hazardous construction site in Naramata, Lady Dar, Etta/Duke and I would very much like to host tomorrow evening. Let me know, at your earliest convenience, and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Pushy Patrizzio!

Pics: Plywood Pamela and Plaster Board Bill with building permit inspector, Al Soroka, good friend and former colleague at UBC Law Library, in town yesterday for on-site inspection. He found quite a few deficiencies so construction is on hold until enough cases of wine from Naramata Bench wineries have been exchanged, under the table! Big Al leaves his payola order at Poplar Grove. Etta and Duke warming up the winning chair! Big Al leaving from
YYF, yesterday evening, now that the "tree" issue has been resolved.

[Had a great time chatting with Susan and the father of Patrick J. Adams (star of the series Suits). Great way to spend a birthday.]

Hi Patrick, Hope that tiny fracture doesn't cause any problems. Glad the walking is ok. You know you are welcome to stay at our home even when we are away!
Big storm last night and power outage in Skidegate. We were at Masset but had no internet till we arrived at our final lodgings tonight in Queen Charlotte city.
The past 3 nights we stayed at Susan Musgrave's Copper Beach House. She surprised me with her homemade birthday cake.
Hi Copper Beach House People!

[Marian & Ted at breakfast.]

Was this trip a birthday present from Theodorakis? If so, please keep it secret from Lady Dar! How was Susan? She has always been a fascinating and controversial figure in the landscape of Canadian literature. We first met her back in the mid-70's when we were at a reception for Leonard Cohen in Kerrisdale. Lady Dar knew the book rep of Leonard's publisher at the time and Susan was there, an up and coming poet in her own right. Glad that the stormy weather didn't affect you too, too badly. When are you back in Vancouver? 

[Copper Beach House
Cheers Elaine]

Didn't really want to mention hairline fracture as I was a result of domestic abuse. Lady Dar flew off the handle a few weeks ago and smashed a full bottle of expensive malt on my operated leg! To tell the truth, I was more upset about wasted liquor than broken bone! Hello to Marian and Theodore. Travel safely. Cheers, Pushy Patrizzio, Not Yet Certified But Lady Dar's Petition is Before the Courts!

Hi Pat, I will send you link so you can send in latest version!! Thanks Jane and George Hello again, Patrons of Perjury! Dastardly deed is done! Presume cheque's in the mail! No pics with Detroit's custom cycles. So much for your reliability rating! Cheers, Patrizzio!

[A rebel soldier tosses a grenade into a loyalist position in Burgos, Spain (1936)]


Thanks to you and Lady Dar for looking after me yesterday.  I had a marvelous time and may yet become a wine afficionado. Please send me the name & email address of that North Van fisherman you spoke of.  I'm always looking for a fishing partner.  And thank Lynn and Peter for their charming and hospitable welcome.  I really enjoyed that interlude. Al Hello Fly Fisher Folk! [Have included you in this message, Fellow Fly Fishing Vara De Pesca Mad Man, (Please send me the name & email address of that West, {not North, Big Al!} Van fisherman you spoke of.  I'm always looking for a fishing partner.), as I mentioned your considerable skill and more than difficult, overly cantankerous, not to say obstreperous, personality, to Hip-Wader Al, yesterday, when he was bemoaning, ad nauseum, the lack of other eccentrics to cast with! Bit of background information, Raskolnikov!] Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Thanks again, for fun filled day and delicious meal, Big Al!

[Anne Frank pokes her head out of her family’s flat in Amsterdam (1942)]
 
Hello Naramatia! Thanks for lovely visit and tasting yesterday. Big Al asked me to thank you both: [And thank Lynn and Peter for their charming and hospitable welcome.  I really enjoyed that interlude. Al] Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrizzio, how I have missed you at Bridge last week and on our hikes, and sure we will hook up tomorrow night at YOUR PLACE at our usual time. Thanks to you and Corrine for hosting again. I am so curious about those prizes and hopefully I'll play a better game this week. Who know? It just might happen. I'll see everyone at Patrizzio's and Corrine's. Hugs, Olly Hi All! I feel terrible right now (I think food poisoning). Was up most of the night. I don't seem to be getting better, though I had some lunch. I might be OK for tomorrow night, but I'm not sure.......Nice pics, Patrick! Pam Dear bridge friends, Sad to say, we will be on our way......Also very much looking forward to our trip to the end of the world and beyond. Have to miss door prizes and play, and already look forward to our new season of bridge after we will be back in December. Best wishes to all, Jos Patrick, Bridge tomorrow night is in my calendars. See you then, Pam

[Eyes of hate: a photo of Goebbels after finding out his photographer is Jewish.]


Hi Dry Wall Pamela, et al! Glad you can make it, Pamela. No construction togs allowed at Burns Street, however! Even if Food Poisoned Spumoni, (Sorry to hear about your illness but you are obviously not drinking enough wine!), cannot join us, we will have four with Olga Polga! Travel safely, Josinta and Aarturo. Best wishes to you both and Hildegard Von Bingen. Cheers, Priceless Bridge Prizes Patrizzio! Pic: It's black and white, Plywood Pamela! You don't have the necessary building permits!

Hello All, Jos, where are you going? I am sorry to say that my Wednesdays are committed to Scottish Country dancing, and so unless some of you might like to try it?........I will have to miss the pleasures of bridge and your company. Let me know if you change the evening again. Kathy Hi bridge enthusiasts, Joining Jos with her words, I will be away, soaking sun and flying my kite high as the sky. However, when drinking Cuban rum, I will be toasting for your successful bidding. See you sometimes at the beginning of December. Cheers, Mike

[Archaeologist Howard Carter examining the opened sarcophagus of King Tut.]


Hello, Just an update as to our DC explorations. Friday we went to the new National Museum of African American History and Culture. WOW!!! Definitely needs a whole day. Advice to anyone going there - hit the gift shop early, as near closing there is a long line-up to get in. This museum is one of the highlights of the whole Smithsonian area. The History Galleries are very moving - an emotional experience. We left the museum and took a bus to the Lincoln Memorial - very impressive. Then back to the room via Whole Foods.

Saturday we went to the Arlington Cemetery where we saw Kennedy's grave. Then walked across and the bridge went to the Vietnam Memorial on the Mall. Sunday we did the National Museum of American History. Might be a good museum, but too many of the areas were closed - open 2017, or open 2018.
 

[Muhammad Ali trying to talk down a suicidal man (1981)
 
Took much less time there than expected, so went next door to the Museum of Natural History - very well done. Monday was a travel day. DC to Trenton; Trenton to Princeton Junction; Princeton Junction to Princeton. Three trains, and then a taxi. If one had flown into Newark, it would be planes, trains, and automobiles. -Colin

Hello In The Thick of The Presidential Election People! Continue to enjoy your travelogue, Colin! However, the civilized world as we know it may simply come to an end shortly! Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, as she cannot bear to watch the election results, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

[American soldiers discover Manet’s painting hidden in the salt mines of Merker, Germany (1945)]

This is not the Thursday list, it is the Monday list. Tony is going to lead a 4 hour hike at Skaha Bluffs. Being a Thursday, this will be more difficult than a Monday hike. There might be a bit of scrambling over rock. Meet at Home Hardware in Penticton at 9 am. Summerlanders can carpool at IGA parking lot at 8:40. I won't be going (I'm sick right now. If I get better by Thursday I'm going on a different hike).

Latest from Trustedhousesitters: Savanah van Lent (TrustedHousesitters.com) Hello PatrickThank you for the message. I have removed the reference you have provided for George. If you need anything else, let us know. Kind Regards, Savanah What next? Desperately seeking advice! Cheers, Patrizzio!


William Harley and Arthur Davidson (1914)
The only thing that could possibly make me feel better at this time is these two baby cats! Can't wait to cuddle and smoosh them!!! Hopefully I'll wake up and this will all be a bad nightmare. ❤️❤️ Hi Chloë! I couldn't agree more! Nana is already so depressed that she's gone to bed already. I might follow soon. Look forward to seeing you and having you here. Love, Dad!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment