Saturday 12 November 2016

Day 56, Post-Op Marcus Aurelius Soup Bowl Blues: November 12th!

The charm, one might say the genius of memory, is that it is choosy, chancy and temperamental; it rejects the edifying cathedral and indelibly photographs the small boy outside, chewing a hunk of melon in the dust. -Elizabeth Bowen, novelist (1899-1973) 


Up at 7:45 am to let Etta and Duke outside. It was pouring fairly heavily so they didn't venture far from the shelter of the louvres. Am hoping the rain will let up as I'd like to collect some wood from Pamela Webster's construction site, good for kindling. Have already talked to Guilermo and he and his pick-up are available almost anytime over the next few days.  

Patrick, I may or may not be on site if you retrieve wood today. I am finalizing paint and tile selections today or that is my intent. I heard a review on CBC of “Arrival”. The reviewer liked the film…said Amy Adams’ performance was Oscar worthy. I watched “13 Hours in Benghazi”. It was 2hrs and 43 minutes but I didn’t notice the time. It was gripping…I guess this is the same reaction that millennials and those younger have when they play violent video games. My thought as I watched it was “why do humans treat each other so abominably?” I think the rain has stopped in Naramata. Pam

Walked down to have my haircut, by Mark The Barber, at noon and once shorn I continued to Teas ans Weaves to pick up a couple of pot scrubbers. Lady dar felt that the last one was to worn to grace the kitchen sink and replaced it with a type I don't find particularly efficient. Lady behind counter asked me if I was coming from a yoga class as I was carrying my necessary cushion and was wearing shorts! Laughed as I told her why I needed it and she said that the next time she saw me she hoped I wouldn't be carrying it as that would mean I was fully recovered.

Back home to stop to ask Guillermo if he would be available later in the afternoon to collect scrap wood from Pamela's. He was playing his guitar, in the basement, so when Nancy came to the door I asked her if he would call when he'd finished. Back home I climbed on the bike for 55 minutes, watching the last "backstory" episodes of Vinyl. Guillermo called when I was almost finished and we arranged to meet at 2:00 pm. He pulled up in front of the house at the appointed time and we set off for Naramata. Bill was there when we arrived and very kindly brought out his cordless skill saw so that I could lop off some of the longer planks we were planning to load into Guillermo's pick-up. Took us about half an hour and then we had a load. Took saw back inside and thanked Bill. Probably one more load available for the taking so hope I can shanghai Guillermo again. Back home to unload the lumber, stacking it atop the firewood I'd arranged the other day so as to accept latest batch of kindling.

Guillermo came inside, once we'd finished decanting, and had a quick visit with The Penticton Sisterhood, busy with Christmas baking. After Yermo said goodbye, I did a few dishes to make room for all the Xmas fare preparation and then repaired to the quiet of my office to send a few messages. We are off to Soup Bowls, a fund raiser for the Penticton Art Gallery, this evening while Chloë will stay home to entertain Etta and Duke!  Patrick, Here you go. Peter Patrick, As this e-mail states, guest tickets will be allocated after today (member tickets close today) Peter Hi Jugos! Guess I missed the fine print! Thanks for clarification. So I will wait to see if I'm in or not. Grand evening at The Art Gallery. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Greetings, Patrick and Corinne: Haven't been in touch for quite awhile and I hope this finds you well and that you continue to enjoy life in Penticton.

For my part, life has been quite eventful since I saw you in the summer. On Labour Day, Mum and I flew to Glasgow to begin our trip to Scotland -- which turned out to be quite brilliant. (Blog at scotland20162016.wordpress.com.) We had a somewhat eccentric itinerary, travelling directly to Oban the same day, and continuing to the Isle of Iona on the following. Mum had previously been thwarted twice in plans to visit Iona, but this time -- success! Most people seem to visit as day-trippers, but we spent two nights there and just loved it -- the remote beauty, ancient Celtic Christian connections, etc.


Then back to Glasgow from where we flew to Orkney where we visited the Heart of Neolithic Orkney UNESCO World Heritage Site and places with World War II connections, both in the company of a private guide/driver ( a huge expense but SO worth it). There were two other aspects of Orkney with which I was unfamiliar -- Viking heritage (having been part of Norway until around the 15th century) and connections with the Hudson's Bay Company (as a staging point for trips to Canada -- recruitment, taking on water, etc.). So interesting. Then to Kingussie in the Highlands, where my parents spent their honeymoon in 1954. (We stayed in the same hotel -- now slightly shabby, but with a very cozy, Scottish ambience). 

And on to Edinburgh, where we diverged -- I hadn't been there before and stayed for several days to see the sights while Mum continued to the south to spend time with family and friends. Finally, I travelled south as well and spent several nights in London before meeting up with Mum again for the return trip to Vancouver.

Within a week of getting back, both Mum and I came down with a nasty bug -- epic, really. We didn't go to the doctor or ER, but some time later, a friend of my mother's who is a retired nurse and had similar symptoms DID go to the hospital and was diagnosed with viral pneumonia. I don't know if that's what we had but I definitely don't recall ever having had such a bad "cold."


Notwithstanding the ebb-and-flow of illness, I got to my 40th high school reunion on October 1st and soon thereafter spent a week or so acting as local guide for a visitor from the U.K. (Reg's grand-daughter, Ruth, who I had met for the first time in the U.K., several weeks earlier. I'm not sure if you know, but Reg was Mum's long-distance partner for eight years, ending with his demise in 2002). Ruth stayed with Mum and was no trouble, but the daily touring was a bit taxing (though enjoyable) in my somewhat compromised state of health. 

As well, my longest-time friend Debbie's father, Gerry, died during that time. He was 91 and had been ailing for a long time, living in a hospital bed in his living room for the final year of his life -- but in its way, his passing was nonetheless unexpected. There was no particular indication that he would leave when he did -- Debbie's step-mother Sylvia just found him dead in his bed in the morning. Anyhow, I had known Gerry for over 55 years (twice as long as my own father) and his passing leaves a gap.
 

Inevitably, between illness and Ruth's visit, I had more absences (scheduled and unscheduled) from work -- optics not good. Speaking of work, though, I am cautiously prepared to say that things are slightly improved there, despite some intractable issues. For one thing, I have been trying with some success to get genealogy going at Dunbar -- it's undoubtedly a strength of mine and playing to it helps to mitigate my occasionally crushing sense of failure as a branch head! Dan was in town briefly last week -- camped on my living room floor while attending to local errands before returning to Portland to stay with his new girlfriend (meanwhile, his boat is in the hands of shipwrights in Victoria, who are undertaking some major renovations). During that time, I was invited to dinner with him Andre, who was in town (sans Rosemary) and staying at the home of another friend. Dan and Andre are both accomplished cooks and there were vast amounts of wine -- very good evening (see selfie below). 

Well, today is my brother's Greg's birthday and next Friday is my mother's birthday . . . and I am hosting a joint birthday family dinner tonight (the one time a year when everyone comes to mine). So I better get busy (though I have already baked two birthday cakes this morning). Not sure when I might expect to see you again in Vancouver -- not too long I hope. Meanwhile, all the best and lots of love, Janet Hi Janet! Wonderful to hear from you and learn about what seemed like a simply terrific holiday! [I envy you all the fabulous single malt regions you visited and glad your Mother held up so well, given what she has had to endure with respect to her recovery.] Condolences on the death of Gerry. Heartfelt sympathy to you and your dear friend in this obviously difficult time.
 

Haven't yet had an opportunity to really look at your blog but will do so as soon as I can. Sorry, of course, to hear you and Mama both took ill upon return. Obviously, not enough malt was consumed! [Funnily enough, we are currently watching The Crown and are enjoying it immensely. Have you seen any episodes? What do you think?]

Pleased to hear that things, at work, are looking up, if only slightly so. Buona Fortuna with genealogy. Work with your obvious strengths. From my point of view, administration is not for everyone so don't self-flagellate. Both Lady Dar and I know that you are a more than capable, extremely competent, highly ethical librarian who need not make any excuses for any professional behaviour. Find your niche and enjoy it!


Glad you had such a tasty meal with Dan and Andre. Latter may have told you that he and Rosemary will be visiting this coming weekend, for a few days, at least, I believe.

Chloë flew up on Wednesday evening. She misses Etta and Duke, not her parents! It's been a lovely weekend, The Sisterhood starting on Christmas baking. For my part, with the help of friend, Guilermo, I collected a load of scrap lumber, to use as kindling, this afternoon. Pamela, from hiking group, and her husband, Bill, are doing a wonderful expansion/renovation on their place in Naramata and have more than enough wood from demolition that they need to haul or give away.
 

Chloë returns to Vancouver tomorrow evening and we probably won't see her again until Xmas in Tinsel Town. I am to begin my physio in the React program at the Community Centre, here in town, on Thursday. To date, I've been doing the at-home exercises provided by hospital physio and riding the stationary bike lent to me by friends in the hiking gang. Up to 55 minutes a session so pleased about that.

In a week or so we are attending the Winemaker's Dinner, Upper Bench, to be held at the Front Street Brasserie, so really looking forward to that, as you can well imagine. Last night it was the Soup Bowls Project at the Art Gallery which was loads and loads of fun. Fondestos from The Penticton Sisterhood. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Dear Patrick Thanks for your good wishes. We are just about to head out to JFK. It has been quite the week. Really emotionally draining. Princeton was very beautiful and Eric seems very good and working hard. We have had a really great trip. Strating to get depressed about going back to work on Monday. Typical.

John will be visiting us this week as he is going to a conference in Vancouver so it will be great to catch up with him. Hope your hip continues to mend and that you are being careful about your exercises. Take care Jo-Anne


Hi Jo-Anne and Colin! Wonderful to hear from you and assume you are home by now! Pleased that all goes well with Eric and that you will be seeing John shortly. Don't fuss about going back to work. Count your blessings on how fortunate you have been to have taken this latest fabulous junket! Time to pay the piper so no whining!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Soup Bowl Fans! What a marvellous evening! Thanks to all the volunteers and staff at the Art Gallery and to all the potters, other donors and of course, soup providers! Certainly a Must Attend Fund Raiser! Congratulations and Thanks! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you SO much for taking these photos, Patrick, and for sharing them with us. These fine occasions when everyone is having so much fun should be recorded, so thanks for doing just that. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself, and it was a pleasure to meet you. Cheers, Jacinta Hi Jacinta! Delighted you enjoyed album! I couldn't agree more about capturing such a terrific even, modest as my effort might be. Lovely to meet you, as well, and trust our paths will cross again in the not too, too distant future. Until then, all the best to you and rest of the gang at PAG! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Marilyn and Stanchion Man! Do you know and love this soup kitchen, homeless person? Grand evening at The Art Gallery last night! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patrice, Looks like a fabulous function! Unfortunately Colleen and I are drawing a blank on recognizing anyone other than your beautiful wife of course!. Can you enlighten us?. Cheers, Stanchion and Marilyn Too busy to actually write an email as I have a paper, an assignment, a poem to write for wed. and a meeting to prep for tomorrow. Hope you are both well...there is light at the end of the tunnel I am getting near to the end of term and will have some more time on my hands then.  Love you! Marilyn xoxo
Patriçio,  Find enclosed photos of my new trekking poles! These are awesome. Note in particular that the “snaps” are on the outside, as opposed to the type of poles where you just turn the shaft(s) to tighten for the length desired - those slip! Even for just walking about, they take that bit of strain off your back and I am able to take Ms. Canine for significant walks. Wish I had got these years ago.
 

As for my travel plans, well, once again, circumstances encumber my flexibility. It does not look like I will be able to bring the pooch by via monster truck in the next couple of weeks, (apologies to the felines) so I may just have to settle for maybe a flight later, or maybe just wait for the spring thaw. (sigh)

On another note, I applaud the new Trump Era! I am sure all problems will be solved. I am building a wall around the property to keep out Muslims, Mexicans, aliens, freeloaders, anyone with a high school or above education and of course, dinner guests (unless they arrive with he appropriate hooch).
 

Was that a stunning result or what? Turns out, with the low voter turnout, and Trump’s share of the vote, he became President with 25% of Americans voting for him. What is the matter with those people!!! Well, Democracy at work! I think I kind of like the “Game of Thrones” style of government ...Included also are pics of Juno at the beach! cheers//bjp [*] Democracy dëmäkrƏsē (n): the process of two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to have for dinner. Hi Snazzy Trekking Poles, with Snaps, Already, Person! Ms Canine and her feline loving daughter just returned from a walk so are green with envy. So am I as my poles are snapless while I'm hapless! Speaking of felines, when cats are being herded, are they cattle? No! Any group of two or more large ruminant animals with cloven hooves - e.g. cows, bison, and buffalo - are cattle. Factoid for the day to answer your Democracy signature!

Pleased to hear about your fortress mentality. I have placed razor wire atop the fence encircling the patio, as well as mining the front yard as it is not "hardened" otherwise. Duke constantly patrols the perimeter, only coming inside for Wild Boar Treats, K-rations, [K for Kat!], after each full circuit. We have ordered Kevlar vests, from Pets R Us, for both of them, and have had Etta's teeth sharpened and barbed, the better to rip and tear the flesh of intruders! Fondestos from The Penticton Cat Sisterhood to you Ragin'. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Cat Women and potential kindling!


  



No comments:

Post a Comment