Saturday 23 April 2016

Wisteria Farmer's Market Blues: Saturday, April 23rd!

We understand death for the first time when he puts his hand upon one whom we love. -Madame De Stael, writer (1766-1817)


Hi Patricio, Sorry about the long wait for a reply regarding your last email. I was simply wonderful to see you guys as well if ever so briefly and was glad to help out repairing the electrical disaster that I Came Upon!!. Don’t you know that diy electrical and booze don’t mix well?
 

Glad to hear about your new bridge group and love the fact that you’ve created such a great social network and your short time up there as I figured you would. Really great news about your new sunroof and I can't wait for my next free loading session to come enjoy it and be served hand and foot! The weather certainly is improving rapidly and we certainly enjoy the heat last week and had to break out the fan for our attic room.

I have been very very busy with an interesting work project regarding the helicopter crash which I probably spoke of and is progressing well. I am still busy dealing with my mom and need to move her out of the apartment this weekend so I took the day off of work today to partly deal with that stuff and answer your email!. We're also in the midst of the major backyard overhaul and is looking fantastic so very pleased about that Maureen has been doing a wonderful job. Hope all is well right now and looks forward to seeing you guys soon look forward to hearing about more of your adventures .take care and we will talk to you soon. Fondestos to you and Corriandre, Cheers, Al


Luise and Dave arrived yesterday. They are a lovely couple and we spent a very enjoyable weekend. Quick trip to the first Farmer's Market of the season. Bit smaller than normal but still plenty of offerings. I enjoyed a wonderful, sticky cinnamon bun from Joy Road, courtesy of my house guests, devouring it as we strolled lower Main. 

I left them a few minutes before 10:00 am as they wanted to take a look at the rugs in Teas & Weaves, and boutique didn't open until then. I happened to bump into the owner, Claire, sweeping sand from the sidewalk in front of the store, there as a result of the latest street revitalization project underway. I've chattet with her a number of times osince we've been here and am quite impressed with the both the selection and prices of rugs they have in stock. When L/D/S returned, they had, indeed, bought two rugs. I was hoping they'd leave the larger of the two as it fit perfectly in the hallway outside the guest bathroom!

While they went hiking that afternoon I attended a book launch for David "Jake" Synder. [Coincidentally, I knew I wanted to relate our connection to good friend John Anderson, in Victoria. Long, long story but it occurred to me that perhaps he might have known him from Navy Reserve connections. Perhaps not, of course. I think he is about John's age as well. I knew Jake at United College but he was a year or so ahead of me and after he graduated we never saw each other again until last July when I met him at the Penticton Farmer's Market! 

He was the one who invited me to join the hiking group I've since become a regular with. Aside from the incredible outings it has proved to be a truly remarkable social network. For her part, Lady Dar has joined the Flatlanders, a Sisterhood walking group, and there is quite a bit of cross-over, spouses, etc., between the two. At any rate, Jake ended up in Victoria, at some point, obtaining his teaching certificate and then taught at Penticton High for most of his pedagogical career. He seems to have remained quite involved with the Reserves wherever he lived.

Book launch was for Penticton Remembers, Volume II, veterans stories from the South Okanagan. He published Vol I in 2008, I believe. Cora Lee helped edit this recent work and received credit as "Corinne Dunn" so Lady Dar was definitely not amused!]

Back home I changed bikes, (my Brodie for my Trek ), and foot gear, (sneakers for my clips), and headed out. Just a route regulare to PTC/Lakeside/Riverside and then to Skaha Lake Park and back as I had scads of things to do before my my house guests returned. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1139521346#.VxxYfeUxKpw.email

Spumoni was having them for dinner before they went to a concert so I knew they wouldn't be back at Burns Street much before 9:00 pm. In fact, that is exactly when they arrived. I was jsut finishing a latre supper and we chatted for a bit before Spamela said goodnight. Everyone had had enough hootch by then so the three of us turned in by 10:00 pm, I to read for a bit before dropping into a deep, refreshing sleep. 





No comments:

Post a Comment