Wednesday 27 April 2016

Enamel Dental Centre Blues: Wednesday, April 27th!

Taught from their infancy that beauty is woman's sceptre, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison. -Mary Wollstonecraft, reformer and writer (27 Apr 1759-1797) 


Tummler, you gotta love the words this week. Hammer fest building the deck this week - need the Swedish massage. Getting more livable by the day here - when are you coming? Lemme know how you two are doing - how your trip to the big smoke went. Love to all, W

Hello Hammer-Head and Sledgehammer Slinger! Terrific to hear from you, amidst sawdust, bent nails and nastily bruised thumbs. [I thought of you as soon as I'd seen this week's words!] I'm surprised you can even text, given the bandages on your every digit! Funnily enough, just had a message from our close friends, Jean and John Anderson, in Victoria. They own a lovely power boat, Commitment II, and have invited us to sail the Salish Sea with them when next we visit so we might well arrive on the beaches of Galiano in style!

Sadly, I fear that a visit this summer will not be likely. We are almost fully booked for the next month or so and then we are off to Winnipeg/Falcon, (Departure date not yet set in stone but first week or so of June, I suspect.), to celebrate, among other things, Rosita's and Dusty's 71st wedding anniversary. Back just before the beginning of July as we have a clutch of ex-Swiss boarders descending! And on and on and on! Not complaining, just reporting the facts, "Just the facts m'am!" Sad to say, I just discovered that Joe Friday never said this on Dragnet. Another misattributed quotation but why let truth get in the way of a terrific catchphrase!


Have had a houseful of guests ever since last Sunday. Rosemary and Andre, (Believe we told you about them when you were here. Sumptuous dwellings in both London and Chabeuil, a charming village about two hours southeast of Lyon, about an hour north of Châteauneuf-du-Pape!), were here until last Thursday, (In fact, I was, by then, in Vancouver, as you knew, having driven in on Wednesday.), but Lady Dar was able to keep the Freeloaders at bay all by her lonesome. I blasted back on Friday morning while she bused it to the Big Smoke for the weekend to attend a baby shower. a christening and her Book Club! I needed to be home to receive Luise and Dave, from Denman, for the weekend. They teach at MUN but are on sabbatical. They are close friends of hiking companion, Spamela, but her apartment is too small for them to stay. When she told me that they would probably book a motel I invited them to stay with us, not knowing, at the time, that Lady Dar would be away. Didn't really matter but I know they would have enjoyed meeting her and vice versa. 



Must away as I want to go for a ride before I head o the dentist, at 4:00 pm, to have another crown replaced. Fondestos to you both form Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Jo-Anne and Colin; Rosemary and Andre; Nick; Jake at book launch, with Virginia, his Mexican amore; Dave, Luise, Sanka, Spumoni and adoring Benjamin! Bob showing us Jake's walls; Rhubarb Man; Legend Juiceheads; Fire-pit Freeloaders!

While Lady Dar went outside to paint the top of the outside of the fence next to the garage, I suited up and went for a ride. Left about 12:35 pm and knew I needed to be back by 3:00 pm as I had to take my antibiotics, an hour before dental appointment. This being the case, I decided upon a Flatlander ride, my route regulare but limiting it to PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside and street spokes thereabouts. Not a very exciting ride as I gerbalized my way to desired distance but the positive result of the spinning the cage, so to speak, was that the centrifugal force so generated was that I managed to clock an AVG of 21.6 kph. Very pleased with that as my legs and endurance seem to be becoming more roadworthy for sustained, longer rides. Back home with five minutes to spare before taking my medication. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1144856122#.VyFww9K_xdk.email

Had a quick shower and change of clothes and Lady Dar dropped me off at the Enamel Dental Centre before she headed out to run a few errands. Although I was about 15 minutes early I didn't even have time to read a chapter of my book as I was ushered into the surgery almost as soon as I sat down. James and his staff are wonderful and although I had two filings, (one to "tighten" up the space between a neighbouring tooth and my last crown), and a replacement, plus a crown, I was finished by 6:00 pm. Didn't even have to time to watch the crown being milled. After paying my bill I walked home along Penticton Creek and noted that the flow had diminished a fair bit from the raging torrent it had been last weekend. Still a swift flow but not nearly as angry.

Lady Dar had decided upon bbq'd chicken and after I'd cut up the tasty bird we sat down to a dinner of green peas, mixed with spinach, (A terrific combo especially when I added hot sauce to mixture!), and a crunchy, tasty coleslaw salad she'd thrown together. Watched a couple of episodes of The Blacklist and Elementary before it was time to turn in. Mme Coriandre's cough had come back with a vengeance and she really wasn't feeling all that well by then. For my part, I was so, so sleepy that I didn't even read a word before turning off my bedside lamp!

Hello Ageless Friends! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but was quite a busy weekend, once I returned to Penticton on Friday, with house guests, until Monday. Thanks so much for the lovely visit last week. Sorry it was such a brief encounter but it was a delight to catch up, even a little. Thanks, as well, for including Branko. He enjoyed meeting you both and sends his thanks and best wishes.

I managed to pick up six bottles of 2013 Duas Quintas so do appreciate being introduced to it.
I plan to taste, over the next little while, a number of the Portuguese offerings available here as I think they are very good value and not yet discovered! Just back from the dentist as I had to have another crown replaced, along with two fillings. Fees are decimating my malt budget! Thanks again for your ever generous hospitality. Fondestos to you both from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Director Ragin'! I just received this notification from LinkedIn:

Your contact, Branko Peric, just joined LinkedIn Help welcome Branko and get connected. Branko Peric Director at Women's Shoes Desingh


Delighted to note your career change! Really enjoyed catching up and bridge, you Small Slam Rotter!
On Sunday, visited Terravista, and owner/winemaker, Sanka
, is Croatian so I plan to take you there on your next  next visit to negotiate a discount! As I mentioned, great to see you, Ragin'. Will be in touch about trying to coordinate a visit. Why not send along a string of possible dates and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Il Condutore! Pics: Pre-bridge drinks

Hi Patrick Your wine knowledge is indeed remarkable - who would even think a Chilean wine would be associated with a name like Errazuriz unless by some random linkage to eastern European aristocracy? (But yes it is the same wine I referred to as the Max Reserve with a value-cost ratio in excess of 5.0 !). I will certainly sample the Duas Quintas - (a 2013 Chilean?) and calculate the vcr.

It is an odd coincidence that you mentioned Jake Snyder. Not that I know him (or at least I don't know that I know him or have met him) but that tomorrow evening I am attending a mess dinner for former naval reservists (the UNTD) and regulars at the Royal Victoria Yacht Club - and likely meeting a number of former naval cadets and officers I would have encountered over 50 years ago. I trust your preparation for the return of your loved one will meet with complete approval, John














No comments:

Post a Comment