Thursday 21 April 2016

Ball and Joint Dermo Blues: Thursday, April 21st!

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand. -Josh Billings, columnist and humorist (21 Apr 1818-1885)

Alice Liddell, inspiration behind Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass, dressed up as a beggar-maid from the story of Cophetua
Photo: Lewis Carroll, 1858


Hi Patrick,Hope life at Burns Street is good. Would your body and mind be up for some geriatric doubles tennis?  Our friends Leighton McCarthy and Gerry Kenyon would welcome a challenge if you would be my partner.  Gerry is 84 but probably pretty good.  I’m very rusty, probably at least 15 years since I played. Cheers, Peter

Saw my dermatologist this morning and he was pleased with my skin. Zapped a few spots but otherwise fine. Went to MEC after wards to pick up a few things, (NUUN, new clip pedals for Brodie, cleaning kit for camel pack bladder), and then back to VGH for hip X-rays followed by a consultation with Clive Duncan, my orthopedic surgeon. With respect to my left hip it looks like I may well have replacement surgery in November. Not confirmed, as of this writing, but highly probable, for a number of reasons. I'm starting to experience some pain in my left groin, a tell-tale symptom, and a constant ache around left hip when sleeping. I'm to see him in late August, early September to confirm that surgery should proceed. Since I'm resigned to the fact that I'm falling apart, having the replacement surgery in Fall/Winter suits me, weather-wise as I'll be able to use stationary bike and pool at wonderful community centre to aid recovery.

Had drinks and hors d'oeuvres with Flamin'/Sarge, Rosemary/Andre that evening. Had helped Chloƫ with her income tax, back at Heartbreak Terrace, (I was staying in Joanne Trueman's apartment there as she was in Taiwan.], after seeing Clive. We'd both been invited for dinner but we were off to a VWF event, Incite, held at VPL. Hal Wake interviewed Nick Bantock and it was another marvellous affair. Chloƫ dropped me back at HT and then I had a short visit with the gang to say goodbye to R/A. I was bushed so was more than pleased to go to bed around 10:00 pm as I was off, fairly early next morning. Whirlwind visit indeed!

Dear Patrick Jean reports that you and your loved one are into a black period in your painterly endeavours.  I was moved to write given that I have just finished up a serious bout of brightwork (the teak hand rails and cap rails on the main deck and most of the trim on the bridge) on board the Commitment II.  I used a 1-inch bristle brush for the application of the Epifane marine varnish  having switched from foam brushes which I had been using over the past several years.  

I highly recommend good quality bristle brushes since in the long run they are much less expensive than the throw-away foamies (in fact, in accordance with notes on brush care on the Epifane's website I have my sole bristle brush emersed in kerosene until I need it again - likely next spring).

I have now taken the good ship Commitment II out for two day-cruises this week to check systems and allow the aforementioned brightwork to fully harden in the wonderful sunshine we have been experiencing this week  Everything checks out and so should you show up sometime this summer and the weather is fine, we could organize some outings to the wonderful Gulf Isles.  

From the sounds emanating from your missives to Jean you have established a vigorous activity agenda in the Okanagan - I trust all your body parts are coping magnificently.  All is well here now that I have entered the blissful state of retirement. Regards, John   p.s.: a recent value wine:  Max Reserva Cabernet S 2014 - a wonderful Chilean. 
 
Patrick and Corinne, Even though you are unlikely to be here in body, we can perhaps have you here in spirit and toast to you and imagine Patrick dressed as a flapper for the evening. Cheers Claire and Greg 
We would like to say thank-you for being in our lives and invite you to a party in your honour. On 30 July at 16 Real Avenue, Norman Park. We are hiring a string quartet which will start playing at 6.00pm, so please arrive between 5.30 and 6.00 for drinks on the deck, or after that for dinner at about 7.00pm. 
The party has a 1930’s theme - for no particular reason except that Claire has always wanted a flapper dress. So dress up if you want. There will be door prizes for the best flapper, gangster.or Fred Astair lookalike.

Hola Corinne & Patrick--Are you two interested in attending any spring wine festival events? Petey and I are thinking of the Johnny Cash "Walk the Line" & Dine event on May 1 (12:00-3:00 p.m.) at Wild Goose or the Sip and Savor in the Cellar event on April 30 (12:00-2:00 p.m.) at Pentage. I have no idea if tickets are even still available. Let me know if you are interested and I will enquire further. Cheers for now, Lynnie XOXO P.S. Isn't this Okanagan spring weather fan-tas-tic!!??

Thanks to Chuck for leading us to Roddy flats and up to the lovely slopes of balsamroot! Next Monday Colleen Schneider is going to lead us in search of Guy's cache in White Lake. Nice views. Easy hike. So we will be leaving Home Hardware in Penticton at 9am and Summerlanders can carpool at the IGA parking lot at 8:40. See you there! Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment