Saturday 16 April 2016

Knitting Needle Blues: Saturday, April 16th!

So many gods, so many creeds, So many paths that wind and wind, While just the art of being kind is all the sad world needs. -Ella Wheeler Wilcox, poet (1850-1919) 

People obsessed with grammar aren't as nice as everybody else, study suggests!

Chloe Alexis Dunn This is no big suprise Patrick James Dunn!!! Ayn P oh, like this is news!!
Carol Riera
Carol Riera Ha ha ha! Guess I'm not nice

Patrick James Dunn Chooch, neither of us have even been "nice". We, (along with Ms Tinsel Town, I might add, parenthetically!), are too, too busy trying to help those around us from themselves, [Lady Dar, come to think about it, also falls into this category, Pushy Broad that she is!], to worry about thin skin, over sensitive feelings, and the like! Onward, trample on! The fight is a necessary, heroic struggle that only the elite Grammar Super Heroes can wage and hope to win!!! PS: We spit on Kryptonite but dream about red ink! Super Dog resting after delivering a load of red ink! Note exposed writing implement!!!
Ayn P the errors in your post have sent me into a tail spin as it is...luckily this picture of my Winston is very calming.
Ayn P
Ayn P I think you're jealous of his fur-covered member now that you've relocated to true winter temps and taken to snowshoeing!
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn I'm going to suggest, to MEC that the company start marketing fur-covered condoms. I think there are billions to be made servicing this niche market! Ayn P I think a fur sleeve for outdoor sports would sell better than condoms!

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Why not a multi-purpose tool, so to speak? Chloe Alexis Dunn You are all too much!!
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Mutual, I'm sure!!!

  Name That Varietal!!

As we are nearing the spring Collectors Club shipment, we have some very exciting news!  To celebrate and honour our members we have been babying one exclusive barrel.  While we don't have enough to send you all a sample for a blind tasting, we are inviting you to guess that varietal! Channel your inner oenologist and intuition.  
Hint:  This varietal is grown in our home vineyard, however, we have never made a single varietal wine from these grapes. Email us with your intelligently considered guess and you will be entered to win something tasty from Orofino.  Contest ends May 1st and the winner will be announced during the spring wine festival.  Good luck!

Hello Virginia and John! Trust you are both well! I believe the varietal in question is Cabernet Franc. Cheers, Patrizzio The Wine Sleuth!

See you Wednesday. Are you staying until Tuesday also. I have an extra ticket to a California Wine tasting  on the Monday night because Michele is hosting book club at our place. We are expecting Rosemary and Andre on Thursday.    

Hi Sarge! Thanks very much for the offer of the ticket. Ordinarily, I'd have loved to join you but I'm driving back home on Friday morning. We have a couple, Luise and Dave, from Denman Island, [They are friends of Pam, from hiking group, but her apartment is too small for all three of them so I offered our place.], staying over the weekend so you'll only have Lady Darjeeling to drink your wine!

On Wednesday morning, I assume I'll leave sometime after breakfast, probably by 10:00 am, at the latest, as I have a number of errands I'd like to run once in Vancouver. When will someone be home on Wednesday? If you let me know I'll try to time things so that I can be at Harbour Terrace around the same time. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! 

 Hi Sarge! I'll be staying on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I'll be by myself so I'll stay wherever is most convenient, your place or Joanne's. Lady Dar arrives on Friday, staying all weekend, until the following Tuesday morning. I gather you are having dinner with Rosemary and Andre on Thursday evening. We talked to Rosemary, briefly, yesterday, after she arrived in Vancouver. They will drive up tomorrow, to stay until Thursday morning. I'm off to a VWF event with ChloĆ« at 7:30 pm, at VPL, that evening. Must away as I'm planning to ride to Black Sage Road shortly. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Ryan is at our place. Should be home between 3 and 3 30 Wednesday. I have a key for Joann's place and she is not back until next Monday. Michele and I are going out to dinner on Wednesday night. 


Lazy sleep-in until almost 8:30 am! Listened to a very interesting interview on CBC's North by Northwest, with host Sheryl MacKay, in which numerous medical reports suggest that at least two cups of java, or more, up to five, a day, are incredibly good for you, for all sorts of reasons. Can hardly wait to hear about the benefits of malt! At any rate, enjoyed my first delish cup and had a wonderful breakfast, care of Lady Dar, back bacon and scrambled eggs. Great fuel for my coming ride.

Started out at 12:05 pm, having listened to another radio favourite, Terry O'Reilly's Under the Influence, on at 11:30 am. Started off heading for PTC/Lakeshore and Riverside as I wanted to have at least 10 km under my belt before making for Oliver. Didn't end up going to Black Sage Rd, [My initial destination.], as the wind was out of the SSE at around 18-20 kph when I set out. Fought it all the way to the turn-off to Tuc-el-Nuit but couldn't face continuing to ride into the maddeningly strong gusts along it and then Black Sage, [Shades of my ride to Osoyoos on Easter Saturday!], so I decided I'd loop back via Seacrest Hill Rd, just past the bridge on the way to Oliver. Pretty challenging hill but I've done it a couple of times now so know what to expect. Didn't hurt that the wind was now at my back, pushing me up and along, so far, far easier than riding into it, especially such a steep grade!

Once that grind was out of the way, the rest of course is quite flat with only a few, easily climbed rises or short hills. I did an extra loop around Jones Rd, out of Willowbrook, to give me a bit more distance. Had almost 71 km on the clock by the time I sailed past Nighthawk and See Ya Later so I dipsy-doodled out Oliver Ranch Road, once back in OK Falls itself, again for a few more km. Back on Eastside I was really moving along, once I'd climbed the grade, not far north of OK Falls. Was hoping to achieve an AVG of at least 20 kph, with wind to help me along now. Only managed 18 kph once I'd topped Seacrest so I knew I'd have my work cut out. Fortunately, I knew remaining distance and tail wind were in my favour, if my legs could sustain pace. 

Once I'd passed road to Blasted Church I was often clocking 30 kph and by the time I reached Skaha Lake Park I'd managed to register my goal of 20 kph. Pretty pleased. Only had to do a short loop, needing a tad more distance, around the park and I was back on South Main, making for home. Usually my AVG drops on the long, slight incline there, particularly if fighting the wind, and on the grade along Dawson to Government.  But, again, wind was of great help and I maintained the 20 kph AVG. Even picked up a bit once I'd made all the stop lights and was back on Eckhardt. My legs didn't feel too, too weary either so very happy with all aspects of my first long distance ride in a bit. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1128860590#.VxLdTAHQXTc.email 

Hi Prairie Comic! Quite enjoyed Bob, golf/malt and particularly the bear cub! I'm always last in line on hikes. "Bear bait", according to my fellow hikers so I hope I don't even encounter a cub and its mother! Must away as I'm off to ride to Black Sage Road shortly. Wish me luck! Cheers, Patrizzio!

good luck, and keep your bear spray handy..stand, look tall; don’t get between mom & baby, as you know.......experienced (as you are) hikers..said; hold hands high and put your hiking stick up there too; and don’t move, and look important to “it”......what a laugh...

Hi Bear Boy! Thanks for the advice but I hope I can out-cycle any bears that I happen to come across!  Must away to shower and change for dinner and open a bottle of wine for Lady Dar! Cheers, Patrizzio! You did spectacular; and such good time.  Enjoyed reading about your ventures.....also opening the lovely bottle of wine.......be careful.....A & S  

Hi Patrick and Corinne Thought you might like to read about our first walk for the season, although I am not an accomplished wordsmith as you are dear friend, I have tried my best to emulate your style!! Loved the snap of bridge sans snow and slippery ice. Why am I not surprised that you stopped to chat to a neighbour, when have you invited him for dinner?? And a free tooth assessment;) Must go as I am supposed to be planting garden requirements I purchased yesterday. Much love Tina

Dear Patrick and Corinne! Thanks for the advice and directions! We would love to arrive on Friday. We will probably get in the car at 6:30ish, maybe a little earlier (Matthew works late), and we would love to wake up in Penticton, and explore your new neighbourhood including farmers market, on Saturday morning!

Are there any treats from Vancouver that you have been missing, any Granville Island delicacies? We are very willing to take orders for a care package! As you are surrounded by wine and farmers markets, it sounds like the land of plenty. But it's funny the things you miss when you move to a new place.

We are having a quiet one today, as Matthew is gearing up to run the Sun Run tomorrow morning! He has a corporate entry (free!) through his work, and he and a colleague will be running together. I am very proud of him! Last night we went for a very overdue training jog through the mcmansions of shaughnessy, just before sunset. So much topiary... Finished up at the local bottle-o, perfect timing.

Excellent looking garden! And good luck with the veggie patch and succulents. There is so much you can do even with little water! Looking forward to seeing the progress in real life in May.

I heard from Dad yesterday, he and mum will arrive in Vancouver on August 20th, but I'm not sure how long they will be here for, at least two weeks. I am very much looking forward to seeing them. We got to stay in Harcourt for a couple of days in February but it is never enough time. Congratulations on Mr. and Mrs. Durston's 71 years! That is an amazing achievement, most romantic and very inspirational. Enjoy your travels.

Thanks for your hospitality, we are so looking forward to exploring the Okanagan! Best wishes, Zoe and Matthew


 




No comments:

Post a Comment