Wednesday 13 April 2016

Back in the the Saddle Again: Wednesday, April 13th!

There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth, without either virtue or talents... The artificial aristocracy is a mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to prevent its ascendancy. -Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect, and author (13 Apr 1743-1826)



Up at 6:00 am when the phone awakened Lady Dar. I was in a deep, deep sleep and quite enjoying a dream about something to do with being in a cash withdrawal service, not a bank, of some sort. It seemed logical within the internal structure of the dream itself and I remember the older man I was with and who seemed to be related to me. He was wiry, weary jeans and a string tie and I can still see the belt cinched at his slim waist. I said the system appeared to be a good one as long as I had a card to use when he wasn't around. He replied that he had thought of that and that he could arrange for me to use an old credit card of his for withdrawals. I remember signing my name on a form at the counter and thanking the woman behind it, my companion beside me, waiting while the woman helped another customer, holding the card in question, at the ready, the one to be registered on my behalf. 

Next thing I knew Lady Dar was saying, "Patrick! Patrick! Get the phone!" I staggered out of bed, disoriented, at first, going to my bureau, in search of the ringing device, until I realized it was on Cora Lee's desk. On the fourth ring I found it and when I picked it up and offered a groggy "Good Morning", the woman on the other end of the line asked to speak to "Frank." I mumbled that she had the wrong number and she quickly offered what sounded like a genuine apology, obviously realizing she had woken me up. Replacing the receiver, I stumbled back to bed and asked Lady Dar why she hadn't answered the phone herself. Apparently the aristocracy don't make a habit of leaping out of bed when servants are able to do their bidding!

I read this account to Her Ladyship, shortly after putting it down, as best I could, and asked her if it captured the event as far as she could recall. "Certainly not", she snipped, "That's only your skewed perspective!" I patiently await the correct version, Dear Reader, ever ready to do her whimsical bidding at the drop of any of her extremely expensive hats or bonnets!

Given today's forecast, looking forward to this afternoon's petrichor, "the pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell." 

Hi Patrick, I just wanted to send you a quick email to follow up to see if you were interested to proceeding with any further dental treatment. The next priority was the bridge on your lower left. If you could send me a quick email with an update, that would be great!  If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks, Kristina  

Hi Kristina! Thank you for your message. Sorry I've not replied sooner but seem to have been busy with numerous things. At any rate, I do wish to proceed with further dental treatment. In this vein, not sure if it was noted on my initial examination or not but I have since noticed a small hole on the top, inside front of my lower right crown/cap. I first felt it with my tongue. I am not experiencing any sensitivity or pain but obviously, it needs attention. I have not been in touch about it as I assumed I would mention it as soon as I managed to arrange an appointment.

So there you have it. This week and next are quite busy with visitors and a trip to Vancouver so perhaps the week of April 25th, if a time is available for further examination/consultation. That being said, if it was deemed important enough to take a quick look before then, probably without any actual work, I'm sure, depending on date, (I will be out of town between April 20th-22nd), I could manage a visit to assess priority, etc. Let  me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Of course, you can always phone if that is more convenient. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Good Afternoon! We could schedule an appointment for you with Dr. Jung the week of April 25. If you are not experiencing any pain or sensitivity on the lower right, that wouldn't be a problem. With that said, there is dental treatment that was diagnosed on the lower right at your new patient exam. There was a crown to replace and a filling. I have attached the estimate for you. We can either schedule you an appointment for the dental treatment or to have Dr. Jung assess it, which would you prefer? If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks, Kristina

Hi again, Kristina! Thanks for speedy reply. Since treatment is already diagnosed I might just as well go ahead. Tuesday, April 26th or Wednesday, April 27th, would be best for me but I'll wait to hear if either of those days are available. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio!

On Wednesday April 27th, Dr. Jung could see you at 8am or 4pm. Would either of those times work? You're most welcome:) Talk to you soon.Hi, yet again, Kristina, The Schedule Juggler! Wednesday, April 27th at 4:00 pm would be terrific so please pencil me in! I've put time and date on my forehead so that when I brush and floss I'll be reminded about the coming appointment! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Wonderful. We will see you then!

Hello Just in case You did NOT KNOW yes next week will be Book Launch 52 Veterans Stories from the SOUTH OKANAGAN 19 APRIL --noon Library Museum auditorium 23 April at the Lakeside Resort Hotel--1 pm I hope to see you there, social media coordinator, DBJS 

Hello Jake! Your PR individual is doing a pretty thorough job of blanketing the media with announcements of Book Launch! I read the article in yesterday's Herald and thought you could have used attached picture instead, showing you in your normal working mode: Portrait of an Artist as an Older Man!

Have quite enjoyed first few entries and plan to take book back to Manitoba this June when we visit Cora Lee's parents for their 72nd wedding anniversary at Falcon Lake. I wonder how many of the vets you interviewed knew Alan or George Durston, [Latter was shot down over Holland.], Corinne's uncles on her father's side, and Jim Love, [Shot down over Germany.], uncle on her mother's side, as all were from Dauphin. My Uncle Walter met George in England when he first arrived. George had enlisted earlier, as had Jim, before the Allied tide had turned against the Germans. I know both Clara and Dusty will be more than interested to read these fascinating, though often heartbreaking, stories.  


Plan to see you on the 19th although you might not want to meet Lady Darjeeling-Durston. Her stridently feminist self is quite upset that you acknowledge her as "Corinne Dunn", (I must say I like the ring of it myself!),  and is currently organizing, with Grandmothers for Africa, a book burning of Vol II at the Shatford Centre to coincide with launch at the Library Museum Auditorium! Make sure your suit is made out of asbestos! Thanks again for the terrific poster. Fondestos to darling Virginia. Cheers, Patrizzio!

So sorry Patricio!! I did totally forgot about the Garmin. I'm going south on Thursday but will pick you up on Monday if you are doing that hike. Lou
Hi Memory Like A Sieve! In fact, it is me that I'm addressing, Luigi, as I have forgotten about my Garmin more often than not! However, you were an easy scapegoat! Thanks again for your stellar chauffeur service and thank you very much for the kind offer of a ride on Monday. I do hope to hike on Monday but I will need to see what our visitors have to say about that. They arrive on Sunday and Andre may wish to join the outing but I won't know until after they arrive. I'll certainly send along a message as soon as I know. As a back up, in case my memory doesn't serve me well, if you don't happen to hear from me, please don't worry about collecting me. I will, however, endeavour, to contact you, on Sunday and am tying a piece of string around my finger as I scribe. I hope I can remember what it is for so I suppose I'll have to plaster post-it notes all over the house. Thanks again, (What did you say your name was? Oh right, Karen. I knew that!), Lou! Cheers, Patrizzio!

After spending time trying, (Vainly, I must add!), trying to catch up on correspondence, I made a delish brunch of chicken wings and other overlefts from fridge before I suited up and headed out for a ride around 12:05 pm. I wanted to stretch my leg muscles still somewhat tired and sore after Monday's hike. This being the case I decided I'd opt for my route regualre and so dipsy-doodled my way, mostly on the flat, to PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside and surrounding streets before making for Skaha Lake Park, via Government. Two large loops of the park and surrounding streets and then I was homeward bound. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1124891057#.Vw7GIx5mRWQ.email 

Felt very good to be back in the saddle again! [Note: Not sure why but the AVG speed was 20.6 kph not the 18.9 kph stats show. Must have something to do with something I somehow managed to invoke when "playing" with various settings after downloading this ride, perhaps others as well, I'm not sure.] Once back I enjoyed a mug of java, sent a few messages and then went outside to carry a goodly load of bricks from the back patio to the vegetable bed. I will use them to create a small pathway around the surround, the better to be able to water, weed and, I hope, harvest the coming produce! 

Then I turned my attention to "attacking" the remaining rounds of wood I needed to split. Using my brand-spanking new Fiskars Splitting Maul, (recommended by Whirlygig!), I managed to dispatch about six of the remaining monsters before it was time to shower and ready myself for dinner. Lady Dar had just started to do some sausages on the bbq when she received a call from Michelle Dunn, (A Flatlander but no relation to me, sadly!), asking her if she was planning to attend the knitting class she was leading. 

Lady Dar had completely forgotten about the session. I urged her to go as I knew I could wait for dinner. She left and I put the sausages in a pan and started to cook them, ever so slowly, along with onions potatoes I'd steamed the day before. had plenty of messaging and other chores to occupy my time, (emptying dishwasher, laying fire, doing laundry), so I barely had a moment to myself when she was back. Salad was made so once Lady Dar charred the sausgaes to her carbon-deficiency liking, we sat down to eat and watch Happy Valley, or so we hoped. 

Unfortunately, for us, Netflix was unavailable, either through Telus or the Apple Box. We assumed there must have been a glitch at the Netflix end of things as there was  30-50 minute wait for Telus Technical Assistance. everyone and their dog must have been calling to complain! Instead, we watched a recorded episode of Poirot and it was a treat to see Miss Lemon, Captain Hastings and Inspector Japp again, along witht the fussy, brilliant, little Belgian gumshoe, (Although Poirot himself would have shuddered with disdain at such a description of himself!), in spite of the fact that everyone is looking a tad long in the tooth by now!

Into bed as it was after midnight by the time we'd finished watching Poirot solve the case. Started reading Hans Fallada's Every Man Dies Alone, "The greatest book ever written about the Greman resistance  to the Nazis," according to Primo Levi. Even more riveting as I've recently finished three books in Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series, set in Berlin around the same time. I remarked, to Lady Dar, that The Other Side of Silence, (Bernie Gunther #11), had just been published and she immediately placed a reserve on it at PPL. It is still on order but we are first in line!!!


Hello Potential Thursday Hike People! If we have a Feared Leader, (as opposed to a Fearless Non-Leader), for a hike tomorrow, I'm more than happy to send out a message informing people who might be interested about where and when, etc. Let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Aarturo offered to fly back from Bali to lead outing but I had, quite tactfully, I must admit, to tell him that he should send Josinta instead! 

Hi Patrick; I would phone Kilian Jungen in Summerland (phone number in phone book or canada 411) as he would be the fearless leader. He doesn't check his email very often...... Then you could send out an invite to all potential participants. I am going on the eagle bluff hike so I won't be joining you...Pam Hi Spumoni! Thanks for the tip. Enjoy soaring with the eagles! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patrick and Corrine Cynthia from False Creek here. Just received the news below. As I mentioned to you, we have been staying at the Casa in May for many years, when we come for the Meadowlark Festival. (This year we are going to England – wedding (not ours, I hasten to add!). So last year could be our final year at the Casa).

Just thought I would pass the information on to you, just in case you are interested in a new venture. Allison and Dave have the little free lending library outside their house, further up on Braid. Hope to see you both at the Writers’ Festival. Cheers Cynthia
 

Hi Cynthia! How lovely to hear from you! Trust you are well. It seems so. Thanks for thinking about us! We often walk by the Casa del Sol, on our way downtown, and first noticed the lending library there shortly after moving to Penticton and the neighbourhood. Didn't realize, however, that it was a vacation property as well. Sorry to see it go but hope new owners will keep its character whatever purpose it serves in future. Lady Darjeeling, (Cora Lee's new nickname since our trip to Inja this past October-December!), has dreams of such a rental property but for now, they remain just that as we have plenty of "projects" of our own to more than keep our finances in check. In this vein, we just had a louvered roof installed over a goodly portion of the back patio and are simply delighted with the result. First came across the product at the Home Show this past February and knew, immediately, it would suit our purposes.

Shading the back of the house from the fierce heat will not only help keep the rest of the dwelling cooler but allow us to use the outdoor space, almost year-round, for both entertaining and storage. The roof is so designed that using a small, wireless control, (powered by a tiny solar panel!), the louvres can be opened to any angle through 180ยบ to allow sunlight when desired or closed completely to keep out rain and snow. (Closed roof is waterproof and purposely designed channels direct run-off into a down-pipe and house's waste-water system. However, we already have two large rain barrels connected to eaves-troughs and next "small project" is to acquire another, larger one, to capture this discharge. Lady Dar is already using water from said barrels to water outdoor plants, as water is a critical issue here, again, as you know.) Structure is designed to be snow-bearing so we can store patio furniture and other outdoor fixtures under its cover during inclement periods, without having to haul everything inside garage or house for the winter.

At any rate, busy times but we are certainly more than pleased with move to the Okanagan, Penticton in particular. Speaking of the VWF are you planning to attend the AGM/Book Sale next week? Unfortunately, I'll miss it by a day as I have a whirlwind tour to Vancouver over 20th-22nd. [Can't leave to be there for 19th as have friends from London arriving on Sunday until then!] Need to be back on Friday as another set of visitors will appear on our doorstep! Maybe we should buy Casa del Sol as rest of summer looks very busy with other friends and relatives and we need to pay for new roof!

Enjoy your trip to England and wedding festivities! Please keep in touch. We plan to volunteer at next VWF but haven't actually looked that far ahead, as of this writing. Will be attending the Dram Come True in May, however. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: New louvred roof, open and closed, and starting to enjoy space. Warming my tootsies in front of fire-pit!
My – you two know how to live! Great pictures. See you at the Writers’ Fest, I hope. Best to you and Lady Darjeeling

Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment