Friday 1 April 2016

Nowhere People on the Road to Somewhere Blues: Friday, April 1st!

Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it. -Milan Kundera, novelist, playwright, and poet (b. 1 Apr 1929)  

Hello Nowhere People on the Road to Somewhere! I was with great annoyance and unmitigated ire that I read about your computer setting, (I would rather say "virus"), Ricardo, but was pleased to see that Lady Darjeeling responded appropriately with her note about food scraps, (aka as the compost container in the kitchen), and wine dregs. As far as your sleeping accommodations, Your Grumpiness, I have arranged for you to use the master bedroom in the 17 story duplex, currently being built next door, a designer bed of nails especially commissioned for your armadillo-like personality. The more than lovely Little White, will of course, be staying in luxury, sheer luxury in the Stained Glass Room!

In spite of your stinging remarks, I called Red Rooster to inquire about the availability of wine barrels for planters but unfortunately I was told that all are spoken for. Funnily enough, on Good Friday, when tasting at Orofino, in Keremeos, with Clan Sutherland, I met a barrel rep, one Ian Harnet from Sonoma, (town at the bottom of the Sonoma Valley, as you might recall), and he told us about Red Rooster having barrels when he had made a business call earlier that week. According to staff member I talked to the list they keep is a long one. There might be a possibility of seeing if you could put your name down but timing is probably off, for this year at least. We can, however, ask at a number of other wineries where we are wine club members to see if they might have any used barrels.

Must away as I have been instructed by Mme Coriandre, to go for my ride earlier than is my wont so that I will be back, showered, changed and coiffed, in plenty of time to welcome the Squamish Freeloaders. We await, with baited breath, the news of your arrival time. Late evening would be best as there will be more food scraps and dregs available! Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling to you both. Vitriolically yours, Patrizzio! Pics: This past Wednesday evening on the 4th floor balcony at the Wall Street Loft, with Vittorio, (of Swedish Twins fame), and Jessica, his girlfriend, (both are at SLAIS), and Ragin' Bull. Later, with Colleen and Big Al.


Patrick, I received your missive. Your comments are arrows at my feet. I welcome the bed of nails (it might even be a step up from the couch I am now consigned to share with two aggressive puppies). My further response will be delivered after receipt of the food scraps and dregs, and in the legal proceedings which now seem certain to follow. Time-wise, we have been delayed somewhat by work related matters and general tardiness. Just left Chilliwack after a quick gas and lunch stop. May have to stop again for puppy stuff. Expect to arrive in Penticton 3:30 ish, but Lead Foot Magoo is at the wheel, so who knows. Cheers!

Hi Sarge et al! Forgot to attach snapolas on last message I sent to you. At any rate, here is the album of pictures I took at your retirement bash! Thanks again for lovely, lovely time, both at HQ and back at HT. Was terrific to catch up with Carmen Miranda and South-side Johnny and Lurch and Grogg. Will be in touch about our next trip to Vancouver when we have figured out specific dates. Ruthless and Ricardo are coming to stay the night and we are having Lynne and Peter over for dinner so should be fun. Again, Congratulations! Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling. Cheers, Patrizzio! Nice pics. Thanks. Wayne

Patrick James Dunn Happy April Fool's, (Guess it is already over for you!), Elly and Antonio! Attended Sarge's retirement bash this past Tuesday. Cora Lee, Chloë and Bert, Nicolina's father-in-law. Cheers!!! 

Patrick, We received your beautiful wishes for Spring today. How nice to hear from you. We were just talking about phoning you and Corinne today when we went to Prince Rupert so expect to hear from us in the near future. Cheers, Dawn  

Hello Prince Rupert Folk! Terrific to hear from you! Trust everyone is well. The mention of PR took me back to the time when I was teaching in Terrace, the second School Libraries course, and I had to land or take-off from there, more often than not, being bused to or from Terrace. Those were the days when you didn't drink wine, Donna Maria, copious amounts of java instead, leaving plenty of hootch for Heraldo and I!

We are just back from two nights in Vancouver. We drove in on Tuesday morning to go directly to the RCMP HQ in Surrey to attend Sarge's "official" retirement party. Loads of fun. Stayed with Chloë and on Wednesday evening had friends over for dinner that night, Vittorio, (of Swedish Twins fame), and Jessica, his girlfriend, (both are at SLAIS), and Ragin' Bull. Later, with Colleen and Big Al.  Weather was simply gorgeous, both days, so we enjoyed the time immensely. 

Back on Thursday, in time to attend The Kitchen Stove film series we have tickets for, seeing Rams, (Icelandic: Hrútar), "a 2015 Icelandic drama film written and directed by Grímur Hákonarson. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival where it won the top prize. It was screened in the Contemporary World Cinema section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. It was selected as the Icelandic entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 88th Academy Awards but it was not nominated."

Lady Dar found it a tad slow-moving but I thought it captured the pace and sense of life in Iceland, to the extent that I know the culture. Rather an unusual plot: "In a remote Icelandic farming valley, two brothers who haven't spoken in 40 years have to come together in order to save what's dearest to them - their sheep." Really quite remarkable how the two principal characters interact, or don't, (A delightful Border Collie carries written messages between the two brothers!), both with each other and their beloved sheep, showing more outright affection, initially, for these creatures than for each another.

I have only seen one other Icelandic film, Of Horses and Men: a "collection of six-or-so interlocking fables about a group of rural Icelanders’ relationships with their horses and each other, and which run the gamut from stony-black comedies of sex and death to chilly meditations on the blind cruelty of fate." Simply terrific film as well. (Veterinarian, in former, played one of lead roles in latter.) Highly recommend both if you ever come across them. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, (Herself just off to yoga.). Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Pat and Corinne, Sorry to have left my shoes! It would have been fun to spend another night with you picking them up. We really had a lovely visit with you. Thanks again. Let me know what would be convenient for you when you are in Van. I am going to Victoria tonight to see my parents. I haven't seen them for a long time. I hope you are having this wonderful weather in Penticton. It is glorious here. Take good care and we'll see you soon! Love Jane xo 

By the time I had done a few household chores, sent a few messages and eaten a bit of brunch, it was just a few minutes after 12:00 pm. Wind was blowing pretty steadily out of the NE so I decided I'd rather face it on the outward leg of the ride. This being the case, I decided I'd make for Summerland, in part because I knew that the bike path along 97, out of Trout Lake, was now open. One of my hiking companions had mentioned this on our Monday hike to Stamp Mill. In fact, the wind was not as bad as I thought it would be on my way north so I was pretty pleased with my AVG, hoping that I could improve upon it with the wind pushing me along on return leg.

At any rate, I dipsy-dodled my away around Red Wing, then the two mini-beach parks before Trout Creek and before I knew it I was on Lakeshore Drive North, making for Crescent Beach. A few loops of the small residential community there and then I headed south. Funnily enough, the going was actually more difficult, at first, as at times I was heading right into the strong cross-wind. Once back on 97 however, wind was blowing as it should and I sailed along, doing a couple of loops of the north section of Red Wing before making for Riverside. Had to do a few loops of the streets off it as I wanted some extra distance. Day was so gorgeous that I decided I might as well make hay while the sun was shining, so to speak. Did just that to wheel into our back driveway just before 3:00 pm. Stats for ride!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1107844187#.Vv759tf1y4I.email
  

Once inside Lady Dar mentioned that the Squamoids had been in touch and felt that they would arrive around 3:30 pm. Just time for a shower and change before they pulled up at the back. They now have two new puppies, Sansa, a black poodle, and Ayra, a miniature brown poodle, just four months old, delightful creatures. After greeting everyone, Ricardo and I popped down to Cannery Brewing for two growlettes, an IPA and a Naramata Nut Brown Ale. Back home we sat outside, enjoying the wonderful afternoon sun, and played bridge. Ruthless and Cora Lee eventually stole a quick rubber from us when Ricardo made an inexcusable mistake. He had all the tricks he needed to make Four Hearts but couldn't get back into his hand, taking two winning Spades from the board before cashing in the last winning heart in his hand! Needless to say I wanted him to leave immediately!

The Naramatians arrived around 6:00 pm and we put the cards away to visit, enjoying a wide selection of wine, both red and white, and some delish appetizers, a wide selection of cheeses from Little White and some fab shrimp/smoked salmon served on squares of roasted, seasoned seaweed with a dollop of mayonnaise and sprinkled with some finely diced green jalapeño chili pepper, a concoction Whirlygig/Calamity Jane introduced us to over the course of their recent stay. When the sun went down we sat around the fire-pit, playing duplicate style bridge, [No room on the fire pit but the ledge!], for a couple of hands, until dinner was ready. 

Then inside to eat Lady Dar's wonderful broiled, fresh salmon, risotto mixed with shrimp and asparagus and a tomatoe, bocconcini, fresh basil salad. Lynne and Peter had brought along a 2007 Poplar Grove, deemed to be the red wine of the night, winning more praise and points than the delicious Amarone which Ruthless had chosen. For dessert we feasted on an assortment of chocolate cookies made by Little White. I opened the Long Table Aquavit which Victorino had very generously given to me when he and Jessica were over at Chloë's place this past Thursday, and it was much appreciated by he assembled company, winning very high praise from Jugos Dom Pedro, in particular. 

Lynne and Peter left around 11:00 pm and I proceeded to load the dishwasher and put away the overlefts. Once this was done, Ricardo and I had a few snorts of Jura before he collapsed on the rug in front of the fire! I was ready for bed myself so I bade our guests goodnight and then, after brushing and flossing, I turned in, nodding off before Lady Dar came to bed. Had been a long day with a grand ride followed by time with grand friends and grand hootch! No wonder everyone was sleepy!

Patrick the (former) word master, see entry 9 please:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/quote?s=t
 

or to save you the effort of clicking the above link, here is entry 9 for what a "quote" is: noun 9. a quotation. VL

Hello Dr Johnson! I'm not quite sure what point you are trying, miserably, to make! Please elucidate!! Cheers, Boswell! 

the reason I sent you that little reminder of the english language is because you corrected me last wednesday, when i said "my favourite quote is..." and told me that it's actually "quotation", and not "quote", in that context; but I see the malt is finally getting the best of your frail memory and you do not remember this turning point in the evening. It's ok, I will happily relieve you of a few bottles so you can keep your mind as sharp as possible ; ) VL

Dear Victor L, ("L" is obviously for "Lunkhead"!) Of course I knew what the "little reminder" was intended to accomplish but what I didn't understand was how you felt it was supposed to defend your incorrect usage! "QUOTE" is a verb, "QUOTATION" is a noun. You are driving me to drink but you need to stay away from the hootch and finish Grammar for Dummies! Fondestos to Jessica Jones, perhaps she can knock some sense into you, you blockhead, Vittorino! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi all: Departing from Summerland IGA at 9:00 am, Monday, April 4th Destination: Drought Hill in Peachland Easy to moderate, slow, approx. 3 hrs
Balsamroot in its full glory Al
PS. Please read, if interested, skip, if not.

Another season has come to an end. The winter snow shoe hikes ended, from now on it is only boot hikes, with a possible occasional exception, should the snow conditions and temperatures render the call of the snow irresistible. With it the need for the WMBHs ended also. (Those of you who have been with us for more than one year know that the WMBHs were born and were perpetuated primarily for those who, for a variety of reasons, did not, or could not participate in the S-S hikes.) So, my commitment ended and I am out.
However, that is not the end of a new phase of Monday Hikes. As in the past years, our dear friend Pam K. has undertaken running this part of our hiking activities. My WMBH mailing list will be deleted after next Monday, but Pam has a list of her own which may be slightly different from mine. It is up to you to ascertain that your name is on Pam's list. I intend to come to Pam's hikes, if invited, but only as another participant.

With my Farewell and Best Wishes, allow me to indulge in a few marginal, but important comments:
  • It was my privilege and pleasure to call the shots on some of our outings when I was not outrun by some of us who are stronger, faster and more enthusiastic. In the opinion of some, my masochistic tendencies had ample opportunities to get satisfied.
  • Most of the time our trips were successful and really nice, from any point of view. I am grateful that we had no major mishaps or accidents. I would further dare to say, that in my opinion the trips were enjoyed by most of the participants.
  • However, the sailing was not always smooth. Here are a few points to ponder:
  1. We have become victims of our own success - our numbers have grown too much, 55 on my list. Even though that not all participated frequently, we often had over 20, occasionally over 30 participants, and that is too many.
  2. Such large numbers produce dynamics of their own: it is difficult to keep track of everybody, make a few starting comments, organize carpooling and parking at the trail head, even find a suitable watering hole capable of accommodating such large numbers. An occasional, most often accidental, trespassing though a private property, or approaching it too closely, is most undesirable.
  3. Much more importantly, we inevitably compromised our claim of practising a  "zero impact hiking", we did leave a trace, tracks, slightly damaged fragile, sensitive places, occasional (biodegradable) trash.This all arises from a conflict between travelling strictly on established roads and trails, vs "creatively blundering' through the wild.
  4. For some of us these outings are primarily a social gathering which results in endless chatter, depriving everybody else of any chance to enjoy the quiet and the sounds of nature and any (except a few accidental) sightings of wildlife. To this day no gentle hints and mild reminders yielded any significant improvement.
  5. We have noticeably deviated from our philosophy as outlined in our OLD FARTS MANIFESTO. (If you have forgotten or have never read it and would like to refresh your memory, let me know and I will forward you a copy.)
So, where from here? Please consider:
      a.  Limiting the number of participants per trip
      b.  Splitting large groups -  additional leaders needed to take the other group elsewhere, or to the same destination by a different route
      c.  Splitting large groups into "talkers" and "pensives"
      d.  Give up wild romping and travel on roads and trails only
      e.  Disband and disperse among several other outdoor groups in our area - join one which may be closest to your preferences
      f.   Disband and reorganize as a formal club with all its rules and regulations.

Dear Pam, I am passing onto you this raucous child: rear it with love and affection. Good luck! Affectionately yours, Al ( the Tyrant)


No comments:

Post a Comment