Monday 11 April 2016

Hawthorn Mountain Hard-Hike Blues: Monday, April 11th!

No greater mistake can be made than to think that our institutions are fixed or may not be changed for the worse. ... Increasing prosperity tends to breed indifference and to corrupt moral soundness. Glaring inequalities in condition create discontent and strain the democratic relation. The vicious are the willing, and the ignorant are unconscious instruments of political artifice. Selfishness and demagoguery take advantage of liberty. The selfish hand constantly seeks to control government, and every increase of governmental power, even to meet just needs, furnishes opportunity for abuse and stimulates the effort to bend it to improper uses. ... The peril of this nation is not in any foreign foe! We, the people, are its power, its peril, and its hope! -Charles Evans Hughes, jurist and statesman (11 Apr 1862-1948) 


Hi Patrick and Corinne, So glad that you decided to remove much of the gravel and stones, it was very stark and is now looking a lot softer. Love Teens PS Skyscraper is huge!! Did you employ a model from Vogue? The rearrangement of furniture is looking great! Ohh I remember that awful black plastic, good to see that “our” spruce planting is still alive. What about the grasses that I pruned on the garden side of the skyscraper? Teens PS Love the louvres by the way!

Hello Monday Masochists et al: I apologize for not sending out my post-hike photo-montage and field report sooner but have been in therapy, (both physical and psychological), ever since late this afternoon. My clinician feels I'm suffering from Post Hike Stress Syndrome, brought on, in large part, by the change in non-command structure. "Better a devil you know, than one you don't," was how my psychiatrist put it. Nevertheless, I look forward to trying out my new coping techniques on Thursday, should there be another outing. Thanks to one and all for all the overwhelming challenges and genuine companionship. Cheers, Patrizzio "Having Survived, Stronger in the Broken Places"!

Field notes, to be used in pending law suit, if interested!


Woke with quite a start when my alarm went off at 7:30 am. Glad that I had set it, otherwise I might not have had as much time to ready myself, in a leisurely fashion, for coming hike. At any rate, this wasn't an issue and after I prepared and enjoyed a mug of java I filled my camel pack, (First time I've used it for hiking or biking, since late last fall.), stowed my sandwich and celery sticks, slathered on sunscreen and then stowed my gear in the car. Back inside to say goodbye to Lady Dar. She was looking forward to having the house all to herself while I was away so she shooed me away with barely a look, although she did plant a cursory, chaste peck on my cheek!


Arrived at HH to find Spamela and Eduardo the only ones there but after a few minutes the Summerlandians arrived, followed by the rest of the Pentictonites. Tony the Tiger had agreed to fill the interstellar vacuum left when Rogue Asteroid Al shocked the known hiking universe by tendering his resignation from the Solar Winds Monday Hiking Consortium. And, Able Antonio seemed to have little difficulty wielding the reins of power, giving directions, quietly and efficiently. His delivery, was, of course, made infinitely easier, since Argumentative Aarturo is still away, cavorting on the beaches in Bali, with the dearly missed Josinta! Needed to take three vehicles as there were 11 of us in total, six from the big city, five from the sticks!

This being the case I rode shotgun with Luigi and I enjoyed hearing all about the pretty challenging hike she had done, this past Thursday, up into the steep, steep hills south of Richter Pass. Time passed quickly and we were soon at the small visitors parking lot near the entrance to the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory. Didn't take long to assemble our gear and we were soon following the small farm track running parallel, more or less, to the fence which encircles the facility. I have ridden or driven by the Observatory on numerous occasions but until now I had never stopped to actually take a closer look at the large dish radio telescopes, spread across the considerable acreage of the facility's grounds. Quite impressive to see these mechanical giants up close. Six of the smaller dishes are mounted on tracks, better to enable positioning, I assume. [I hope to return, in the not too, too distant future, to take a tour to learn more about this fascinating site. Sign at entrance announces that they are given between 10:00 am-5:00 pm on weekends.] 

From the start, going was extremely easy although parts of the meadows we crossed were a bit muddy and quite wet in places. However, the lovely clumps of white, with streaks of purple, wildflowers, [Where is SPumoni when you need her?], more than made up for squelchy boots and we were soon following a gentle, grass covered track with a charming stream-let running smack-dab down the middle of it. To our absolute delight we spied a tiny, gorgeous frog, the little fellow anchored, quite contentedly, in the flow, surrounded and caressed by the gentle grass of the bed. The quiet was almost absolute other than for the melodious bird-song which trilled, warbled and wafted its way to us from the surrounding trees. Idyllic indeed!

Further along the slope we crossed the narrow stream and found our way to level ground where many peeled off their outer garments, already warmed by exertion and the warmth of the sun, its golden orb slipping in and out of the cloud cover or shooting its rays through the over-arching tree canopy. Here our eyes feasted on small meadows and surrounding hillsides festooned with carpets of Balsam-root, riotously abloom, another instance of stepping into and through a Tinning landscape, another case of Life imitating Art! Shortly thereafter, Tender Tony called a Tinka tea-break, but sad to say, all the assembled company, with the exception of yours truly, Dear Reader, broke the "liquids only" rule, so fiercely monitored on earlier forced marches by Tyrannosaurus Tinka, greedily devouring snacks with obvious, very naughty children glee. St Kilian was the first to pull a sandwich from his pack and once the rest witnessed his flagrant disregard for past authority, the flood-gates opened and Power-Bar wrappers and orange peels littered the ground, despoiling the otherwise pristine site! Inside, I wept, but putting on a brave front I accepted some delicious dried apple rings from Tempter Tony, deciding compromise was the better part of valour, kicking my weak conscience, all the while, for its lack of moral fibre as I savoured the mouth-wateringly delicious dried fare.

Packing up, we continued on for a stretch to to come to a miniature lake, gorgeous in the extreme, its glassy surface reflecting, well nigh perfectly, the surrounding pines so that we almost had to hang on to one another to make sure we knew which way was up. Helped in this stabilizing effort by another cheeky fellow, a cousin, I presume, of the frog we'd spied earlier, this delicate, shiny amphibian was settled quietly, just below the surface of the water at the shallow edge. And then, just a few minutes and a few footsteps later, we happened across two sleek deer grazing in a dappled glen. Intrepid Ted managed to get withing 20' or so of the pair before cracking a branch and the lovely duo melted away into the surrounding brush.

I was soon to bemoan my lack of deer-like stamina and dexterity as we began the first real ascent of the day, the start of a number of ever steepening slopes which had me breathing, rather noisily, hard and rapidly, I must admit, until we reached the top of a small ridge which afforded, not only breathing space but also a heart-stopping view, mainly of Skaha and its surrounding, enveloping hillsides, but of the Metropolis of Penticton and Okanagan Lake further north. For a few minutes we played tourist, snapping away, drinking in the panoramas spread out before and around us. Not content to allow much respite, Commander Cottrell, ordered us on and up but with great good reason as the next few hilltops and ridges offered even more spectacular vistas, this time of Skaha closer to OK Falls but of the DRAO, steeply below us, back-dropped by snow-capped mountains, Apex the jewel in the range. 

One summit from the top we paused for the first offcial group photo and I was asked to take the snap, Tiny Tim rather grumpy at not being chosen. Still he masked his irritation and wounded pride and was all smiles when the shutter clicked. As we pushed onward and upward to final peak Olga Polga posed, and fetchingly so, in the crook of The Tinka Memorial Trunk, so chosen as the fallen section is still attached to the living tree, emblematic of our Once Fearless Non-leader, gone from our midst, but otherwise thriving still. A few short, steepish climbs along a number of well-trodden, narrow game trails we reached a very gentle, south sloping open area where we took our picnic luncheon, beguiled by Vaseux below us or a glimpse of Oliver through the "V' of two intervening mountainsides, certainly more gasps at the splendour of Apex and its lesser courtiers if we bothered to twist our heads to the west.

Many expressed a desire never to leave this spot, so peaceful was the scene, so wondrous the outlook. Rolly Polly immediately began searching for food sources, since the stay was to be a prolonged one, eyeing my uneaten celery sticks as she'd finished her own tucker long before. Yet Paradise was soon lost as Sabre-Toothed Tony broke our reverie, ordering us to break camp and form up for the "45" minute, easy return leg. Or thus spake Forked-Tongue Tony! In spite of him, once last glimpse of Gaia's grandeur as shortly before we left we were treated to a remarkable fly-past of either herons or storks, (Where are the birders when you need one?), their ragged formation dotting the blue sky, currants calling to one another, ready to be sprinkled atop the icing-sugared mountains behind.

Lulled by this natural, mesmerizing airshow, (I have never seen such a flight, those of the Canada Goose my only other sightings.), I was not prepared for the coming, little less than perpendicular series of descents to come. Once past a number of the earlier vantage points, (Stopping at one to erect a small, crude inuksuk, to mark our passage.), the journey into Hell commenced. More a controlled or, at times, not-so-controlled, slide, for me, at least, on the loose rock and shale, as we made our way forever and forever and forever downward, my heart in my mouth, my poles in whatever purchase I could detect amidst the ever-shifting, treacherous surface. One slow, sure step from anchored tussock to embedded rock, poles ever at the ready, to repeat again, and again and yet again. Fortunately, my loyal cousins, Famiglia Dunn, as well as Federico, sheep-dogged me through most of the more difficult terrain, Tiny, in particular putting aside his earlier photo-envy rancour to lead me carefully, and without incident, to the shaded grove where the rest of the veteran gang patiently awaited my arrival. 

Cheers greeted me when I joined the, by now, well-rested, so I felt heartened indeed, to be once again in their good company. However, not giving me even a moments reprise, they immediatley took off, at greyhound pace, leaving me, once more, to fend for myself, not at all helped by a nagging, somewhat painful cramp in my right, inner thigh. To be honest, I must admit that once aware of my pitiful plight Tender-Hearted Tony, now transformed into Concerned Cottrell from Tsk Tsk Tigerman, offered to shoulder my coat and backpack, as did Eduardo, to lighten my load. Thanking them, I demurred, knowing this was not the issue and soldiered on, gingerly, at first, until the spasms eased and then stopped entirely, much to my relief, I can assure you, Dear Reader!

Rest of hike was really a walk in the countryside as we soon came to the meadows and pasture fields surrounding the Observatory. We had taken a slightly different route back and came out, on the level, next to the charming brook, with its horizontal ladder bridge, the one we last crossed, on icy boards, back in February on a Boot Hike, entirely through much reasonably deep snow, one on which friend, Teena, joined us. Quite a different scene today, with the sun shining and green, green grass growing whereas the sky, on that earlier outing, had been a forbidding leaden grey, the cruel wind whipping across the snow-covered fields to chill our tired bones at hike's end.

Although the going, as mentioned, was now nothing but easy, [That being said, clamber over one last barbed wire fence almost did me in but for Tiny's much appreciated shoulder to lean on!], I was, by this time, weary. Still I enjoyed inspecting the Observatory from an even closer distance, chatting with Eduardo about his visit there last Fall. Almost back to the parking area when Luigi pulled up to collect me, saving me a few hundred metres, so I did not hesitate to climb aboard. After she turned around, we stopped to see what rest of group wished to do about having a java somewhere. Unfortunately, St Kilian had a time constraint and as he was driving Summerland contingent, they could not stay. After bidding thanks and fond farewells, we headed back to HH, agreeing to reconvene at Opus. When I arrived I found my three compatriots in front of the now closed Café Bistro! Obviously, none of us were aware of the closure. I was rather disappointed, selfishly, I must admit, (Although, I'm sure, everyone was distressed at the loss of a great spot.], as I was looking forward to my favourite, an Italian soda topped with whipped cream. Since I had much to do at home, I thanked Luigi for the extended ride, Antonio for the grueling gauntlet, Eduardo for his solicitous support and Spumoni for organizing the entire muscle-wrenching, nerve-fraying ordeal! What would life be without such kind, extremely considerate, (Often sadistic, I am obliged to ad!), friends! Wouldn't have it any other way!! The pain is nothing but short lived, the memories last a lifetime!!! Thanks, to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio, at least for now, Official Photographer, pro tem! Stats for hike:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1122441210#.Vww0RJ62YAs.email

Once again, I forgot to turn off my odometre and it is, beyond question, Luigi's fault! I told her, at the very beginning of the hike, that it was to be her responsibility to remind me to do so at the day's end. In her generous concern to save me some steps, driving up the road to the Observatory, she forgot and so did I. Nevertheless, I reckon that the hike proper lasted 4:48:57, over 5.20 km at an AVG of 1.7 kph, discounting Sterling Moss ride back to HH! It is my considered opinion that Naramatians, in particular, drive like proverbial bats out of Hell! 


Great story, could not open photos due to poor internet connection. You clearly need a vacation! Your friend Aarturo and Balinesian beauty Josinta
Hi Aarturo! Life is a vacation here in Penticton, a destination holiday! We have friends from London arriving this coming Sunday, for three nights and then another set, (Pam's friends from Denman Island), next Friday, for weekend. Almost no time for hiking and biking. Rub lots of coconut oil on my Balinesian Beauty, Josinta. Cheers, Patrizzio! .... full body rub ... old Aarturo & young Josinta Dear Methuselah:Some people have all the luck in the world! I won $1 on the lottery and you get to massage a goddess! Maybe I can convince Lady Dar to rub my sore hip! Continue to enjoy your holiday spree! Almost wish you were back. At least then the Balinese Beauty would be my bridge partner! Cheers, as ever, Long-Suffering Patrizzio!

Great pics, Patrick. Yummy looking dinner items. Petey and I had hamburgers … Thanks to Corinne for inviting me to accompany her to the fashion show and tea. I really enjoyed it , and am now slightly more motivated to get some new glad rags for our Baltic cruise.

On another note--it is Peter's 70th birthday on May 19. We are going over to the Island for a strictly-family do at the Kingfisher. I was mistaken about the date of our reservation there. As it turns out, we do not have to leave until the 20th, so the evening of his big day is open for celebrations here. I can't recall all the details of your many commitments, company, etc. over the next little while, but I hope that you are free on May 19. If so we'd love you to join us for a wee celebration. We thought we'd start out with cocktails at the local gin joint (Legends Distillery?) and then move on to one of the Bench winery restos for dinner. We're hoping Pete and Jenn Neilans can also join us. We though an early-ish start would be best as we have a long drive the next day. What say you come by here around 6:00ish? Hope you can make it. Cheers, Lynnie XOXO


Hi Lynn, Glad you enjoyed the tea. It was great to have your company.
We loved to be part of the celebration for Peter's 70th. Plans sound like fun.
Hope to see you soon, Hugs Corinne Hi Corinne--So glad that you and Patrick can join us for celebrations of P's 70th. We'll see you here at 6:00 on May 19, for sure, and perhaps elsewhere before then …Cheers, Lynnie


Thank you once again for the interesting story like resume of last Monday's hike
I'm missing so much with resting my leg up on pillows!!..but it is healing well!!
I ended going to the walk-in clinic late Friday afternoon where the Dr. On call did not hesitate to prescribe an antibiotic!!..Have a Dr.'s appt this afternoon here in Summerland and thought it best not to join today's hike as yet til a bit more healed up Hopefully next Monday I will be fit to endure!, You take wonderful pictures and write a very enlightening tale Keep up the good work Patrick!!..thank you :-) Regards,...Elle


Hi Murielle! Once again, thank you for your very kind words. So sorry that your healing was not well enough advanced to allow you to hike with us. In spite of my moanings and protestations, it was a glorious outing. Make sure you rest on the weekend as I don't want to hear any more excuses about not being part of Monday's trek. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment