Thursday 14 April 2016

Vegetable Patch Cobblestone Blues: Thursday, April 14th!

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play. -Arnold J. Toynbee, historian (14 Apr 1889-1975)


Not up until just after 8:05 am as no early morning telephone calls to rouse me from my slumber. Clambered out of bed and was soon sipping  my mug of java as I scribed. Worked away until Lady Dar appeared, readying herself to Yogafy at 9:0 am. After she left, seeking Nirvana, I sent a few messages and then readied a tasty frying pan of overlefts, fuel for coming ride. Not sure where I'll head or for how far but looking forward to the jaunt once I've answered a few more messages.

Needed to take out some recycling after finishing my meal and met the neighbour across the street, Norm. Lady Dar had learned, earlier, from Corey, neighbour immediately across lane from our place, that he was a retired dentist from Alberta. Norm is working on replacing the roof on the garage and I'd seen him earlier this week, although assumed it was a contractor! Very pleasant chap and we had a lengthy chat. He is doing all of the work on the house itself. I'm most impressed.  He will be a very busy lad into the foreseeable future. I'm almost overwhelmed with what we have yet to accomplish, (painting inside, fence outside, further re-arranging garage, etc.), without even having to worry about re-wiring, Gyproc, new roof for house, and on and on and on! Anyway, great to start to get to know our neighbours. Met Ron, chap who bought back half of duplex next door, last week, so soon we'll know whole street!

Hi Teens, et al! Thought you might like to see the snaps from our last hike, inasmuch, as towards the end of it we passed right by the tiny, snow and ice encrusted horizontal ladder bridge we crossed near the end of the hike you joined, over the course of your last visit with us! Busy busy time here, not only with carrying out Lady Dar's barked orders but also catering to plenty of Freeloaders! We have friends from London arriving this coming Sunday, for three nights, and then another set, (Pam's, [from hiking group], friends from Denman Island), next Friday, {I have a whirlwind tour to Vancouver over 20th-22nd.}, for weekend. Almost no time for hiking and biking. That being said, plan to go for a spin shortly. 

Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, fussing about gathering all her receipts and T-slips for income tax. We plan to start on filing process once papers are found and sorted! Cheers, Patrizzio, Desperately Seeking Tax Shelter in an Offshore Account! Talk about something to do.....you surpass the extreme......wonderful news; and do not know how you folks keep up......so great to see what some people can do; and with inspiration.....fantastic is all we can say.......keep it up....great news as well.......A&S xxxx

Hi Bridge Babycakes and Steinbach Jokester! Thanks for the compliments but you two are our role models! You did everything light years ago. We're just trying to catch up. Hard to pass an interstellar rocket-ship on a push-bike, however! Fondestos to you both, from Mme Coriandre, lazing on couch, in front of the fire, reading the paper. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bricks awaiting placement!
 
By the time I'd discharged most of my chores, eaten a scrumptious brunch and helped Lady Dar download Turbo Tax to her desktop, (Delighted that the program is now free and available for a Mac, as well!), so that we can work on our tax returns, it was almost 2:30 pm. Forecast had predicted rain for 2:00 pm but none appeared so I took off. Once outside, I realized that wind was going to be a significant issue, [Turned out it was howling from the SSE, hurricaning at 31 kph!], so I decided to try and minimize its effect by staying in as much shelter as I could find. This being the case I ended up gerbalizing myself, spending entire ride in a seemingly endless loop from PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside and the spoke streets off them.  Progress wasn't too, too bad if I was riding across the wind but whenever I had to head south I often stood up to pedal, so strong was the maddening head wind! Started to spit, on and off, towards the end of the ride but wind was blowing so fiercely that I was dry as a bone when I reached home. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1126282601#.VxA-Mtz_RgA.email

Shortly after I was inside, it started to come down lightly, pleasing Lady Dar enormously as was gently watering her recently planted flowers, succulents and vegetables. [Pleasing me even more as I had a water-tight, so to speak, excuse, not to work on fitting the bricks around the vegetable garden!] At the moment it is very, very cosy in the living room. Fire is on as it is cool, with high wind and rain. Lady Dar opened a Paul Mas, 2014 Côté Mas, 14%, a felicitous red blend, (Grenache, Syrah, Carignan, Mourvèdre), from Languedoc, an extremely tasty drop and a terrific buy at around $12, and threw together some delish hors d'oeuvres, smoked salmon and avocado, on a dollop of garlic mayonnaise, served on a small rectangle of roasted seaweed. Feel so comfortable I might not even have the energy or will to shower before dinner! 'Ain't Life grand!

Looking forward to more episodes of Happy Valley if Netflix is operational! If not, we have Blacklist to fall back upon! We shall see what we shall see!
 
Hi Sarge! Trust everyone is well. Not sure if you received a message from Orofino but they are holding a competition involving naming a varietal grown in their home vineyard but one which they have never made a single varietal wine from. Did the name happen to come up when you tasted on Good Friday?

On another matter, will you have room for me to stay for a couple of nights, (I have a whirlwind tour to Vancouver over 20th-22nd.), so need shelter for 20th and 21st? I could stay with Chloë but far more convenient, for me at least, at Harbour Terrace as I have two medical appointments at VGH, dermatologist and orthopod, both on 21st, and then a VWF event that evening, with Chloë. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks.
TurboTax is now free, available for a Mac now, on-line download, so we hope to have our returns filed over next few days. I think you mentioned that you already bought a return? Cheers, Patrizzio!

I assume you are talking next week the 20th to 22nd. Wednesday and Thursday night. You can stay here or at Joanne ' s as she is not back until the 24th. Is Corrine coming with you. Hi Sarge! I'll be staying on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I'll be by myself so I'll stay wherever is most convenient. Lady Dar arrives on Friday, staying all weekend, until the following Tuesday morning. I gather you are having dinner with Rosemary and Andre on Thursday evening. We talked to Rosemary, briefly, yesterday, after she arrived in Vancouver. They will drive up tomorrow, to stay until Thursday morning. I'm off to a VWF event with Chloë at 7:30 pm, at VPL, that evening. Must away as I'm planning to ride to ride shortly. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment