Monday 29 February 2016

Dulton Creek Rough Rock Scrambling Blues: February 29th!

Animals cannot speak, but can you and I not speak for them and represent them? Let us all feel their silent cry of agony and let us all help that cry to be heard in the world. -Rukmini Devi Arundale, dancer and choreographer (29 Feb 1904-1986) 


Good Morning, Pat:  WOW!! I just read your morning story book of your weekend adventure and saw pics of your lovely evening with Aart & Jos. You should definitely be a writer or are you one in disguise?!?!?
 

I went for a morning run yesterday and ended up at your house at 11:00 am ................ rang the doorbell and no answer. I figured that you may have been out for a ride or walk (it was sprinkling). I wanted to know if you want a pick up today. I have a 'new friend' joining us from Naramata and she is picking me up at 8:30 am. We can swing by and pick you up at 8:40 am. Let me know if you want a lift. Give me a call. Just going to make breakfast for hubby and my lunch for today. Hope to see you later!! Mary Lee :-)

Hi Volunteer Man and Concordia Woman! Trust you are both well. Lady Darjeeling is actually in Vancouver at the moment. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Fellow Bootsters! Thanks again to Tick-Top Tinka for his leadership and pedagogical prowess amid the pines.  Much appreciated, on both counts. Trust the police did not have to be called to restore order at the pub in OK Falls. We noted two cruisers, lights flashing, sirens blaring, hell-bent-for-leather on Eastside Rd, so only hope Aarturo wasn't clapped in leg irons! Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

More musings, if at all interested:


Up at 6:55 am, before my alarm was set to go off. Had a grand sleep even though Lady Darjeeling was partying in Vancouver. Saw from my email that Mary Lee was prepared to collect me on the way to HH so I called her to confirm. She was, in fact, riding with a friend, Pamela Webster, someone new to the hiking group. Pamela and her husband live in Naramata and are, most recently, from Calgary. Anyway, we joined the rest of the Boot Hikers in the parking lot and Big Al gave us directions. We were going to hike in the hills above Dulton Creek so we were to park in a small pull-out, just off the shore of Vaseux, where Oliver Ranch Road meets 97. Since both Pamela and Mary Lee had commitments after the hike, I rode with them to the meeting place as I knew I'd want to be home afterwards. [Lady Dar has me under drone surveillance!] 

We took Eastside Rd out of Penticton as everyone in our vehicle agreed that it was a much more picturesque route, then followed ORR out of OK Falls. Gang were already parked when we arrived so we suited up quickly and took off, across the highway and just past the cattle-guard there, nipping up the steep bank to crouch down under the wire fence there, [Lorenzo and Aarturo very kindly holding the wires to make it easier for everyone.], gaining access to the sloping fields, at the base of the most impressive cliff bluffs there.  

From the very start, the views, back across Vaseux and the hills behind, were simply gorgeous. For my money this particular part of the valley is one of the most impressive, majestic sections. I'm always in awe of the scenery whether driving or cycling. Even better when hiking as one can stop and drink in the stunning vistas. At any rate, the climbing really started from the get go, although for the first little while, as we meandered up towards the bottom of Blue Mountain's extensive vineyards, the going was relatively easy, the ground soft and dry, quite pleasant on my leg muscles, still a tad weary from biking on the weekend.

Stopped for our obligatory group shot, [Much ado about nothing, by an unmentioned fussoid, about placement, relative to sun, but official photographers paid him little heed!], and then continued up a reasonably large, steep wash to some more grassland where King Ottokar and Princess Josinta erected a mini-obelisk to the unnamed fussoid. Then the real trekking started as we began to wend our way up pretty rocky terrain, scrambling over and around plentiful dead-fall, zigging and zagging our way up one rock face or ridge to come to yet more, extensive grassy slopes. As we proceeded, the incline became steeper but footing was always manageable. 

Brief respite, a short while later, in a wonderfully picturesque clearing amid the pines, with a huge boulder wall on one side, when Teacher Tinka gave us a short but very informative talk on ticks, [Tick Season is upon us or will soon be!], providing much useful and sensible advice about these creatures, a fact of life for those who live here, and particularly for those who hike or bike. Al covered everything from neurotoxins to having someone check your nekkid body, post hike, [Naturally Antonio and Aarturo volunteered to perform full body searches on all the assembled females!], from clothing to wear and how to remove a tick should you find one attached, from cleaning a bite to carefully checking clothing and scalp, (covered or not), when leaving an area where ticks may live.  

Sobered but informed, we continued upwards, perhaps the longest, steepest climb I've yet encountered. Still, I took it slowly and steadily, and carefully, it goes without saying, taking my time to finally be rewarded with a breath-taking 360ยบ view, atop the flattish ground of the ridge that had been our goal all along. We stopped here to enjoy our picnic lunches. Nothing tastes so good as a simple sandwich or a piece of fruit or a slurp of tea after such exertion, pleasant though it was. Again, the vistas were superb. Fair bit of snow, higher up, on the higher hills but only a few sparse patches where we were, not even a factor. 

Sun was glorious and a few even took short power naps, recharging for downhill leg. After about 20 minutes, Big Al gave the move-out order and we meekly obeyed, some grizzling but nobody disobeying. Going now was pretty easy although there were a number of very steep parts, leading, eventually, to a good bit of trail between the pines. Lovely to walk, in dappled light, enveloped by silence. This was particularly true for me as I was always the last in line. Every so often the group would wait for me, patiently or impatiently, as the case might be, leaving as soon as I was within spitting distance. Marian and Mary Lee took pity on me, however, shepherding me along quite nicely until even they took off, leaving me in Lorenzo's care, for the last bit, along the arroyo, parallel to the electric fence of the vineyard there. 

Must say I was rather delighted to see part of Vaseux spread out before me, from the top of the last hill I, and my ever so weary, heavy legs, had to negotiate before finding myself back on Oliver Ranch Road. While I didn't dance across the cattle-guard I was very happy to be back where we'd parked the cars. Said thanks and good bye to most of my companions as many were heading to the pub in OK Falls for coffee or stronger stuff, particularly Mother Teresa, Aarturo and King Ottokar, juice-heads extraordinaire! Given that this was her first outing with group, this was a spectacle Mary Lee and I wished to spare Pamela! Let me reiterate, another astounding outing! Stats for hike:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1068741691#.VtTELJHNv4Y.email

despite all your abuse ... we loved it! Aarturo & Jossefoss Surely, because of it! Remember, Jossefoss told me what to write and which pitturas to take! Cheers, Patrizzio Innocente! Hello The Sisterhood! Trust everyone is well. Another fabulous day, another fabulous hike. Duplex next door is going up remarkably quickly! Must away as I'm going to enjoy my salad dinner. Ate last piece of wonderful pizza Mme Coriandre made last Thursday for first part of supper. Just me, CBC, and the fire! Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad! Pics: First two taken before Mary Lee/Pamela collected me at 8:40 am. Last two snapped when they dropped me off around 2:00 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment