Thursday 4 February 2016

More Snow-Shovel Blues: Thursday, February 4th!

The mark of the educated man is not in his boast that he has built his mountain of facts and stood on the top of it, but in his admission that there may be other peaks in the same range with men on the top of them, and that, though their views of the landscape may be different from his, they are nonetheless legitimate. -E.J. Pratt, poet (4 Feb 1882-1964) 



Up at just before 8:00 am to peak out of our bedroom window to find that I was on snow shovel duty as soon as I was dressed! Knew, before we went to bed last night, that this would be so as it had been blizzarding ever since late afternoon on Wednesday. Still, found that there was not as much snow as I had expected. Furthermore, it was melting while i shoveled so quite enjoyed the exercise. Back inside for my mug of java by 8:45 am and brought in a box of firewood. Dusty already has a blaze going. I can hear the crackles and pops in the background as I scribe. Hope to install the planking on the patio steps later this morning as I have a dental appointment at 2:00 pm, lasting about two-and-a-half hours, according to receptionist. Having two crowns replaced, fashioned on a 3D-printer in the office! Have to sell my malt collection or charge for bridge lessons to pay for work!

Buongiorno, Guillermo! Trust you made it home safely last night! Thanks for braving the blizzard and then the onslaught of advice around the card table! I trust you are still interested in learning to play bridge! If you plan to hike on Monday, let me know and I'll pop by your place to collect you. Hope Nancy is feeling better. Fondestos from The Gang of Three, Rosita, Coat-Hanger and Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Bridge prisoner and escape from Alcatraz! Dusty laying the fire this morning and seed catalogue, (in foreground, on table), he will use to advise Lady Darjeeling on plants for our spring landscaping.


Hello Sterling Moss and Downloading for Dummies! Pleased to learn that you made it home safely after your blast north! As well, glad you can download from Flickr. (Attenzzione Aarturo!) Yes, I have been wondering, myself, what impact Lowes' takeover will have on staffing at Rona, here in Penticton, and elsewhere of course. Had Guillermo over for dinner last night. Unfortunately, Nancy, his wife, wasn't well so she couldn't join us.
 

Already looking forward to hike on Monday where we can continue to cast aspersions on our Flickr challenged companion, face à face! Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to all the Grandmothers for Africa. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

 Pics: Bridge prisoner and escape from Alcatraz! Dusty laying the fire this morning and seed catalogue, (in foreground, on table), he will use to advise Lady Darjeeling on plants for our spring landscaping. Flatlanders yesterday morning! Unlike Boot Hikers, they walk directly to their restaurant of choice, right from meeting point! Perhaps we should tell Drill Sergeant Al about this approach!

Hello Moneybags Woman! Pleased to learn that I can freeload on Bruno's soon to be burgeoning malt collezzione! Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Beautiful pics!  The house looks lovely which is no surprise! xoxo It might not include: Glengoyne, Macallan, Bowmore, Redbreast, Tullamore, Glemorangie,Glenfiddish, Glenlivet, Oban, Glenfarclas, Aberlour, Dalwhinnie,Talisker, as I've tasted these fine spirits and I am ready to try other Scottish single malts (Balvennie, Bunahabhain Glen Ord, Lagavulin, Port Ellen, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich). But it will still include Laphroaig aka the mouthwash. Stay tuned.

An old friend of mine died on his farm in Marchand Manitoba. He was found in a pasture, no one knows what happened exactly. His body was found next to a feeder, partly covered in loose hay that his cattle were pulling from the manger. It took several days before the discovery and apparently he had a broken leg, so he might have struggled with a bull, possibly died of exposure.


With his German and Ukrainian extraction, he made me think of Patrick (and vice versa).

http://www.birchwoodfuneralchapel.mb.ca/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/10687/id/3583498

Hi Brunello and Chooch! Condolences on the untimely death of your friend Harold. Can even see a similar facial resemblance. On a brighter note, I like your malt line-up, Brunello. Maybe I'll take a flask from your first bottle when I go snow-shoeing! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Paolo! I did see a a line-up on the Cuffed site but wasn't familiar with most of the authors. I gather a new, improved web site is in the offing. As you mention, time is of the essence. Fondestos, Patrizzio! 

Around 11:00 am Dusty and I went outside to work on the patio steps. We first screwed the bottom plank into place and then a few end boards, after making two needed, small trimming saw cuts. By this time it was 1:30 pm and I had to go inside for a quick shower and change. Then Lady Dar acted as chauffeur to drop me off at the Enamel Dental Clinic on Front Street. While I was having two crowns and a filing she and Rosita were off to Seniors' Day at Shoppers, dodging other seniors weaving up and down the crowded aisles in motorized carts!

Spent almost four hours at the clinic although much of the time I was not in the dental chair itself but waiting in the reception area. Once my filing had been done and the two crowns removed Dr. Jung prepared the surface of the two teeth to ready them for their respective crowns. Once this was done, he scanned the teeth in question and this data is fed into a dental CAD system. Once the data is assembled James actually designs the crowns. I watched the process for the first crown and when he was satisfies he sent the information to a very sophisticated milling device in the lobby and it began to fashion the crown.

There are two, diamond tipped drills which can operate in five planes on a block, about the size of a large sugar cube, of some space age ceramic. The milling takes approximately 10 minutes and I watched part of it, taking a 30 second video as the crown was being cut out of the block. Once the crown was ready, I was back in the chair to have the crown fitted. While I was watching the milling, James had designed the second crown and as he was fitting the first, the second was being milled. As it turned out, James was not happy with the first crown so he produced a second one. Once he was pleased with both, they were coated with a glaze, for colouring, I think, and then baked in a special oven for about 12 minutes. Once they had been allowed to cool James made a few adjustments with one of his drills, to the surface of each, before placing them in my mouth. A few more "tweaks' and then each is cemented in place. Then a number of further grindings to adjust for a perfect bite and when he and I were comfortable with fit, a final polishing with a diamond bit. Only discomfort, (other than to my pocketbook), occurred just before the crowns were cemented in place and the exposed teeth were subjected to strong blasts of air to ensure the surfaces were completely dry. The freezing was wearing off by this time and the sensation was not a pleasant one but since I knew it wouldn't last all that long I declined any more anaesthetic although James offered to "shoot me up" again!

While this is probably the longest time that I've ever spent in a dentist's office, I was very pleased with both the highly sophisticated process and wonderful care and manner provided by both Amy, James' assistant, and James himself. He is a very personable individual and genuinely appreciative of and complimentary towards his staff. Something one likes to see in professionals of any kind, of course. Thanking them both, I paid for the work and then bundled up to walk home, along Penticton Creek. There was a very strong, cold wing blowing out of the south so I was headed right into it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed stretching my legs after sitting for most of four hors and the cold air was refreshingly bracing. Back home I was happy to come into the cosy living room, the fire well-tended by Dusty.

Your video will be live at: https://youtu.be/W4uZXpDISsU 

Thank you for thinking of me. Gramma loved every minute of her time with us and we are so lucky to have enjoyed so many happy times with her. 94 beautiful years of independence and amazing health. So many good memories ;) Hugs to both of you. Love, Ariane

Thanks Patrick! We missed you today! You need to try out those snowshoes. You might have fallen on the downhill, though. I think Chuck fell 5 times; I fell once. Al thrives on floating down in the powdery stuff, but likes to take steep trails down, a bit too steep for my liking so I take an easier route. It was a winter wonderland, with big poofs of snow on top of burdened trees. We had mostly a trail for the way up so was relatively easy. For the last little way up we slogged through the snow up a ski run in the powder. That was tricky in the big old snowshoes I have borrowed from Jim French. My snowshoes weren't working for me. Sometimes the bindings of the new-fangled ones are a bit chintzy. I used mine last week and they got loose and my foot kinda came out of the binding. So I'm using ancient ones from Penticton Highschool Outdoors Club. 

Looking forward to playing some bridge with you and Corinne. I was thrilled when she suggested I join you and Jos. I played it with an old boyfriend 20 years ago. His family was gaga for bridge. He made me a cheat sheet which I unfortunately don't have anymore. I would be grateful to have a copy of the one you made for Bill. I would be happy to fill in if Bill's wife can't make it..... See you next Monday! Pam

Hi Pam! Enjoyed hearing about your snow-shoeing adventure! Sounds like Big Al has some of Rick in him! I've yet to try my new snow-shoes out but I'm hoping the bindings will be fine. Cora Lee is quite interested in trying snow-shoeing so I might let her do a trial run in my pair first! I'm hoping that I will be able to join the Thursday outings once Corinne's parents return to Manitoba.  

Late this evening we collected Chloë from the airport. She had phoned earlier as the flight was delayed in Vancouver. Had to find another aircraft as one in question had some technical malfunction. As it was, plane was only about half an hour late so not too, too bad, all things considered.

On the bridge front, we'd be delighted to have you join us anytime, whether Nancy is available or not. We'll keep you in mind when we plan our next gathering so I'll get the "cheat sheet" to you. Will try to remember to bring it on Monday. Fondestos from The Sisterhood at Burns Street. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Patio stairs and changed garden hose and electrical outlets. Milling machine and surround flat screens in high tec dentist's office!

Video: You can watch this 30 seconds worth of this video, (my first crown being milled), 480 times if you are not a SuperBowl fan!: https://youtu.be/W4uZXpDISsU 

Buon Giorno Patrizzziozo del Bunrtera Via, Guillermo does not look very happy which could point to a resentment at your bridge lessons .... So, be careful!
Where was that photo taken with all the girls including Pam? Are you secretly surrounding yourself with women WITHOUT telling me?? Il tuo amico Aarturo

Hi Aarturo! Pittura in questione is of my hareem from snap taken last Wednesday, without you, Lothario! Cheers, Patrizzio!





No comments:

Post a Comment