Saturday 27 February 2016

Seacrest Hill Road Blues: Saturday, February 27th!

The mind is but a barren soil; a soil which is soon exhausted, and will produce no crop, or only one, unless it be continually fertilized and enriched with foreign matter. -Joshua Reynolds, painter (1723-1792) 

Cupid and Psyche - Joshua Reynolds
 Awoke at 7:00 am  as Lady Dar insisted I set the alarm at this time. She was to attend a gardening seminar in Summerland and so I was charged with cajoling her out of bed! Think I'll try this trick on her when I need to be up for my next hiking outing and see how she responds! After she left to learn about cactii and other plants, I did a few chores, concocted a decent breakfast for the ride ahead and then suited up around 10:30 am. I had determined that Seacrest Hill, just before Oliver, was to be my destination. Having ridden this route, once before, this past September, with Phantom Fantini, I had a pretty good idea of the distance involved. Since I wanted to do at least 100 km, I had to have about 20 km on the clock before I made for OK Falls.

To achieve this, I dipsy-doodled my way through my route regulare, adding a number of the side streets along Lakeside/Riverside and similarly off Vancouver Ave. Saw two very large mule deer munching on someone's lawn, not even casting me a glance although I greeted them with a hearty "Good Morning!" Once I'd looped Mddle Bench I headed for Upper Bench and then back to Government. Did a quick tour of Skaha Park and then was whistling down Eastside. The lake was a wonderment, the clouds and hills perfectly mirrored on its completely unruffled surface, with one exception: a lone kayaker, heading north, left a long zipper of ripples behind him. Otherwise the water was undisturbed, magically tranquil, mesmerizingly peaceful. 

Took McLean Creek turnoff and was rewarded for my huff-puff effort , when along the road past the various fields in the valley there, was amazed by the incredible sight of another large mule deer, bounding like a kangaroo or an antelope, the entire length of one of the aforementioned hay fields, flying gracefully, all four feet off the ground, to boing, boing boing its way to the boundary fence where it stopped and, huge dumbo ears twitching, looked at me as if to say, "How did you like that, you earth-bound cyclist?"

Not free of wildlife yet, I was soon to see about 15 Bighorn grazing in the large meadow up from Meyer Family Vineyards. More interested in breakfast than me, I rated not even a quick glance. Still, I was more than happy just to see these wonderful creatures and swooped down the hill into OK Falls. Took 97 south and was pleased that the traffic was quite light. Not any large trucks so RVs so I could enjoy Vaseaux and the magnificent face on McIntyre Bluff, and was soon riding up Seacrest Hill. Pretty good climb, I must admit, and I was certainly pleased to see the sign for Covert Farm as this signaled the ascent was soon to be over.

The ride, from here on was nothing but a sheer delight. Only one or two vehicles passed me by so I was enveloped by the stillness of the fields and trees, hearing and seeing the birds perched along the roadside. Did a quick loop of the tiny, quiet community of Willowbrook, enjoying some of gorgeous acreages there, (many horses visible), before continuing on, past Green Lake. A couple of short, gradual climbs later and I was literally tearing down the hill, past See Ya Later Ranch, managing to hit 64.3 kph before I had to break for the hairpin turns ahead. Had to be quite careful here as the road was wet from the night's rain and slick with fine gravel, a result of some of the road bank work I'd noticed last Monday when Guillermo and I drove this route, back from McIntyre Bluff hike. Once past this short stretch, roadway was fine and I zoomed along, back into OK Falls by 3:00 pm. 

By this time, my legs were starting to feel a tad weary and to add to my effort I was now bucking a reasonably strong head wind. Not fierce but still one I'd rather have had helping me along. Once off Eastside and back on South Main I was a bit more sheltered so final leg of ride wasn't too, too bad. Made all of the lights along Government and swooped up to the garage door at just before 4:00 pm, delighted to have maintained an AVG of 19.2 kph, given the hills and terrain I'd covered.  Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1066204608#.VtJYX1MuHtg.email

Took off my riding gear and then made a quick trip to the recycling depot as it closes at 4:30 pm. Had all of the bottles and glass jars in the car already but still needed to be sharpish. In fact, by the time I had sorted everything and was at the counter, I had but five minutes to spare. Back home to shower adn change as we were meeting Jos and Aarturo at The Dream Cafe, for dinner, at 6:30 pm, followed by Laura Smith's performance.

Around 6:10 pm we strolled down to the ATM at the RBC on Main, as Lady Dar needed to make a withdrawal for her coming trip to Vancouver, not to mention cash for tonight's dinner and entertainment. Jos and Aarturo were already seated when we arrived, at a table, second level, front and centre, so we probably had one of the best in the house for the coming show. Had a grand time visiting for the hour or so before Laura and her guitar accompanist performed the first set. 

We ordered a bottle of 2012 Pentâge Hiatus, primarily as we've not had any wine from this winery before. [Later discovered that it is a blend if 35% Cabernet Franc, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 6% Tempranillo, 5% Zinfandel, 4% Malbec and 2% Pinot Noir.] Tad lighter than we might have liked but a very pleasant hint of spice and oak, dark ripe berries and a decent, silky finish. I ordered the Shepherd's Pie, as did Aarturo, and it was delish. Mme Coriandre and I started with a shared beet, arugula and goat's cheese salad, most tasty. Lady Dar had lamb stew while Jos opted for salmon. Both dishes must have been very good as no overlefts or even small helpings to taste!We didn't know Laura's work but Aarturo was somewhat familiar with her folk background. According to a brief search I did,

Laura Smith is a Canadian folk singer-songwriter. She is best known for her 1995 single "Shade of Your Love", one of the year's biggest hits on adult contemporary radio stations in Canada, and for her adaptation of the Scottish folk song "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean" which she entitled "My Bonny". She recorded a version of this with The Chieftains, which they erroneously listed as "My Bonnie" on their album Fire in the Kitchen. In December 2010, that version received a nod for Song of the Decade from Bill Margeson at LiveIreland.

Born and raised in London, Ontario, Smith was encouraged in her early writing by the noted poet Margaret Avison, then writer-in-residence at the University of Western Ontario. She began playing music as well, making her debut in area coffeehouses. She moved to Toronto in 1975 for nine years and in 1984 she moved to Cape Breton, where she found a vibrant music scene and the ability to artistically grow. She has remained in Nova Scotia ever since.

Before the first set was to start we ordered a 2013 La Frenz Merlot, [Rich and dark, ripe plums with pleasing tannins.], one of Lady Dar's favs, so we wouldn't die of thirst while listening! Accompanied by her agent, on guitar, [She also plays one, as well as the Bodhrán, supposedly the native drum of the Celts.], she delivered a spell-binding performance. Her voice is simply haunting, sometimes a low, deep Atlantic wave, sometimes a breath-defying high note that goes on and on and on. Her lyrics are magical, deeply thoughtful often from another time, an idyllic, pastoral age we've lost in all but memory. Such a song is Michael O’h Ogain’s Horses and Plough, an achingly fond remembrance of a lifestyle now passing away, not quite a lament but rather a bitter-sweet warning not to under-value or dismiss things. Yet she is certainly never sentimental. The last verse ends:

Very soon I’ll be called from this valley of woe,
to the fair fields of heaven I hope I will go.
One request from St. Peter I hope he’ll allow:
Eternal employment with horses and plough.

Words simply don't due justice to her rendition or to the lifetime one reads in her face. Again, I subsequently discovered the career difficulties she endured, brought about by management agents and record companies, plus a terrible legacy of debilitating accidents that left her in chronic pain, unable to perform because of medication. What remains is her indomitable spirit, her mesmerizing, natural story-telling ability and her stupendous voice! See her if you can!

After both couples purchased one of her CDs, [Thanking Laura for the wonderful evening when she signed them.], we bade goodnight to our good friends and  walked home along the creek, enjoying the still night and its pristine air, just the right mix to make us ready for bed once home. 

Hi folks, Just a quick note to say all is well with me. I am farm sitting as Shanna and Cory are in Panama for a well deserved holiday. The twins were born yesterday on the 2nd anniversary of the passing of Michael and the single was born this morning. All appear well but the first 3 months are the most critical for lambs. Hope all is well and that your are enjoying your winter in your new location.

Hi Simone! How lovely to hear from you and know all goes so well, particularly on the farm. Wonderful pictures of the lambs! Must still be terribly heart-wrenching to remember Michael and his very difficult life and death. Our hearts go out to you. Fondestos to you Simone. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
 
Australian crackdown on cyclists decried Riders in Sydney and the rest of New South Wales will soon be subject To a package of new laws, aimed at cutting deaths and I more than 1000 serious injuries a year among Aussie cyclists. crackdownccl. Penalty - without a helmet - CDN$ 316 Jumping a red light - $421
Adult riders have to carry identification, penalty-&105, starting in March 2017
Cycling advocates say the crackdown will deter people from riding And worsen motorized congestion,which is already grinding down Their cities. Some say this is reaching new lows. Many things can be done to Make cycling safer and to encourage more people to ride. These things are not it ." Maybe you will find this interesting. Was in today's Free Press. Clara
 

Hi Rosita! Thanks for the note about new cycling laws in Australia. Will take some time for the culture of bicycling to make inroads into car culture, however, in spite of legislation. Personally, I think more emphasis should be placed on providing safer cycling routes, etc. Nothing wrong with policing dangerous cycling practices either, of course. How was your driving lesson? Bravo!! Onward!!! Take care of yourselves. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick You live a good and active life exhausted just reading about your rides hikes and outings. An inspiration for a slug like myself. Take care have to get out in the garden today. See you soon. As ever Joanne

Hi again, Green Thumber! Your work schedule and commitments exhaust me so please don't denigrate yourself! Fondestos and Cheers, to all the slugs, [You excepted!], in your garden, Patrizzio! 

Greetings to all: Pam is away, so it is my turn to send out the notice. A proposed destination is the E side of Vaseux Lake just N of Dulton Creek Rd, also known as McIntyre Creek Rd. The terrain is quite rough, some rock scrambling will very likely be needed. (It is another unknown territory for me.) In case that the rock will be wet and slippery, we might need to change the destination.
 
So: We meet at Pent. HH at 9:00, Summerlanders at IGA at 8:40, carpool, drive to a trail head, hike and on the return trip stop at OK Falls pub (or any other preferred watering hole) for a refreshment. The hike will be moderate to difficult, approx. 3 hrs. Al PS: Any Southerners considering waiting for us somewhere closer to the trail head, please let me know, so I can inform you of a destination change, should that be the case.  

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment