Wednesday 24 February 2016

Rider of the Black Sage Blues: Wednesday, February 24th!

“In what is by now a grand American tradition, Thoreau justified his own parsimony by impugning the needy. ‘Often the poor man is not so cold and hungry as he is dirty and ragged and gross. It is partly his taste, and not merely his misfortune. If you give him money, he will perhaps buy more rags with it.’” Kathryn Schulz; Pond Scum; The New Yorker; Oct 19, 2015. 


With the wind forecast to be out of the ESE, SSE and S for the projected times of my ride today, I suppose I had no self-argument not to head for Black Sage Rd! No excuses, now, Patrizzio, so suit up and hit the road! Did just that and left about noon to make for OK Falls along Eastside Rd. Skaha was simply magnificent and I felt I was Alice in Through the Looking Glass as the surrounding hills were so perfectly mirrored that I didn't know which way was up or down!

Left 97 at Tucelnuit Drive and then took Black Sage Rd out of Oliver, all the way to Black Hills Winery, heading into the wind all the while, where I turned around. Had 52 km on the clock by then so knew I'd have the distance I was shooting for once back home. Now the wind helped me up the reasonably challenging grades I knew I had to face. Simply gorgeous day and riding north, on Black Sage, one has a stupendous view of the surrounding hills, on both sides of the valley, and to the north, towards Vaseux Lake. Even noted four wineries, new to me, since we have last tasted in this area: Time Estate Winery, Bartier Brothers, Montakarn and River Stone. Looking forward to tasting their product. Looks promising as fruit from this area is highly prized, given exposure and heat of the micro-climate between Oliver and Osoyoos.

Once home I needed to give my chain and gears a bit of a cleaning. Still quite a bit of sand, gravel and other grit on the shoulders. Was pleasantly surprised when I left our house, to ride south down Government, as street had been swept and shoulders were almost clean enough to eat off! Unfortunately, two blocks later, near Edmonton Street, no more evidence of sweeping. Still, I'm sure the City will be working away on clean-up over next few weeks.
Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1062501480#.Vs5SqqGAM-c.email


Hi Jo-Anne! It's settled then! We'll call you when we are actually in Vancouver and that way you'll have a better idea of when we will wend our way "up the incline"! Thanks for the hospitality. Pleased we were finally able to "squeeze" in a visit, given everyone's hectic weekend schedule. Just back from a fabulous ride to Oliver and beyond. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks, Patrick. See you tomorrow. Al         I'll bring brownies. Pam Sounds delicious Pam, I know Corinne needs to eat gluten free. Do you have a gluten free recipe? I will make Goulash. See you tomorrow. Jos Thanks for reminding me Jos! I will get gluten free flour at the Bulk Barn! Pam 
 
Hello Goils, and Antic Aarturo! Since Spumoni will be bringing hash brownies, Lady Dar is wondering what we might contribute:  an appetizer, saladin, vegetable dish of some sort? Patrizzio will be selecting appropriate hootch! Let us know what you think, Five Diamonds Dronkers, and we'll reply to your bid appropriately! Not to be the Bridge Polizei BUT since Spamela is off to the ballet later Sunday evening, we need to be sensitive to time. For our part, 2:00 pm arrival is fine, same for NT Krannitz, I believe, but we probably should eat before 6:00 pm so Spumoni doesn't have indigestion during a Pas de Deux! Just a suggestion, mind. Guess Pushy Aarturo is rubbing off me!

Will you Summerlandians be Boot Hiking domani? If so, we can chat about bridge evening. Fondestos from Lady Dar, busy setting up On Demand as we will watch Spotlight:

Spotlight is a 2015 American biographical crime drama film directed by Tom McCarthy and written by McCarthy and Josh Singer. The film follows The Boston Globe's "Spotlight" team, the oldest continuously operating newspaper investigative unit in the United States, and its investigation into cases of widespread and systemic child sex abuse in the Boston area by numerous Roman Catholic priests. It is based on a series of stories by the real Spotlight Team that earned The Globe the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. The film stars Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, John Slattery, Stanley Tucci, Brian d'Arcy James, Liev Schreiber, and Billy Crudup.

Interestingly enough, for me, at least, I heard the editor of The Globe, at the time, interviewed by Michael Enright, a couple of Sundays ago, I think, on The Sunday Edition. Must away or else all the 2014 Upper Bench Pinot Blanc, 12.2%, will be gone! Shame not to have a sip while we are enjoying baked chicken breasts, done in Soya/Peanut sauce, with fresh asparagus, quinoa and a mixed green salad. Cheers, Patrizzio, Food and Wine Critic for the Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheets Hotel! Pic: Poifect cycling sky!

Controle Tower speaking. We just came home from 2 hours playing pickelball.
Yes, I'm going to enjoy Cartwright, Aart Okanagan Mountain. You made me think about food,and since we are again under time pressure,I'm thinking about making a Gulash.Some sort of Green Salad would be nice for you to bring? Talk tomorrow. Jos
 

Dear Patrick, Well it’s about time I responded to you about this. Sorry about the tardiness -the matter seemed to get buried under other tasks such as our application for an Indian visa which consumed us. At least I took care of your wife’s petition right away.
 

I’ve just finished a book which also consumed me somewhat and one that I think you would enjoy. It is a true story of modern day life in Russia and it is pretty scary. The title is Red Notice and the author is Bill Browder who is an activist (not in the usual sense) hedge fund manager who will be in Ottawa and the news this week as he lobbies our government. My book is out on loan right now but if you want it next let me know.
 

[Getting ready for Dinner at Federico’s Feb 23/16] The Vancouver International wine festival is on now and I will be attending two more tastings after last night's dinner which consisted of a trio of wineries-Frescobaldi, Seghesio and Sandhill and very good food at Federicos Club. Wondering where you saw those very recent movies -in a cinema in Penticton?

Hoping to see you when you are down here around March 11; we are indeed around so maybe we can fit a coffee or drink into your schedule. Let me know. Any chance of joining you at the rugby sevens, or more likely, afterwards? cheers, William.


Hi Patrick I will leave a key under the front door mat for you , but keep the key to the liquor cabinet. Your bedroom is up the stairs and on the right. We should be back 10-1030 ish from our dinner. You have my my cell phone number  so you can call or text if needed. Looking forward to your visit and drive carefully as you eat your dinner en route. Cheers Mick PS please note that the key turns to the right to open, not to the left as most modern keys.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment