Thursday 18 February 2016

Agur Lake Isintok Creek Blues: Thursday, February 18th!

What a strange machine man is! You fill him with bread, wine, fish, and radishes, and out comes sighs, laughter, and dreams. -Nikos Kazantzakis, poet and novelist (18 Feb 1883-1957) 


Up at 6:14 am, long before my alarm was to wake me. Tip-toed out of the bedroom to leave The Puff-Puff Princess to her gentle susurrations, closing the door so as not to disturb her while I zapped my java. Tad worried as I could still hear the gentle patter of rain, on the kitchen skylight and was wondering how this might effect the coming snow-shoeing venture. Consulting AccuWeather I was pleased to find that the forecast predicted showers would stop around 8:00 am. Am hoping that elevation we will be at will still have plenty of snow. Will see, of course. Onward!

Hi David: Yesterday, I happened to come across an article, in the February issue of a local paper, Forever Young, BC Interior Edition, on Nikoa Tesla. Following excerpt is from Wikipedia. You probably know all about him since you drive the car named for him! 

Nikola Tesla , (10 July 1856 – 7 January 1943) was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.

Tesla gained experience in telephony and electrical engineering before emigrating to the United States in 1884 to work for Thomas Edison in New York City. He soon struck out on his own with financial backers, setting up laboratories and companies to develop a range of electrical devices. His patented AC induction motor and transformer were licensed by George Westinghouse, who also hired Tesla for a short time as a consultant. His work in the formative years of electric power development was involved in a corporate alternating current/direct current "War of Currents" as well as various patent battles.

In 1882, Tesla began working for the Continental Edison Company in France, designing and making improvements to electrical equipment. In June 1884, he relocated to New York City where he was hired by Thomas Edison to work at his Edison Machine Works on Manhattan's lower east side. Tesla's work for Edison began with simple electrical engineering and quickly progressed to solving more difficult problems.

Tesla was offered the task of completely redesigning the Edison Company's direct current generators. In 1885, he said that he could redesign Edison's inefficient motor and generators, making an improvement in both service and economy. According to Tesla, Edison remarked, "There's fifty thousand dollars in it for you—if you can do it." This has been noted as an odd statement from an Edison whose company was stingy with pay and who did not have that sort of cash on hand. After months of work, Tesla fulfilled the task and inquired about payment. Edison, saying that he was only joking, replied, "Tesla, you don't understand our American humor." Instead, Edison offered a US$10 a week raise over Tesla's US$18 per week salary; Tesla refused the offer and immediately resigned.

Does this mean that Patrizzia is really the winemaker at Coffaro? The strong, intelligent, ravishing woman behind the successful showman! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
P, you might be interested in this article:


We should be so lucky to have a provincial government so forward thinking. G

Hi Patrick; It's raining too much for me. I'm not going to go. Jim French might still go and can give you a ride (mary lee doesn't drive to summerland). Hope you get this! I called mary lee but she didn't pick up! Pam 

Hi Spumoni! Mary Lee phoned at 7:30 am to ask if I thought outing would be on. Since I'd looked at AccuWeather when I was first up I told her that the forecast predicted showers would stop around 8:00 am so she agreed we should go to HH to see if anyone else would be there. We were there early, around 8:25 am, (You'll be pleased to know!), and chatted, quite amicably, until about 8:41 am. Not another soul arrived so we decided we'd go home. Both a bit disappointed as we were looking forward to getting some exercise. For my part, I was rather excited about trying out my new snow-shoes. Wonder if Summerlandians did go out.

Invited Mary Lee in for a cup of hot water and lemon, (Her choice!), and we spent a great time visiting with Lady Darjeeling, until just a few minutes ago. Anyway, thanks for trying to get in touch. (Thanks for picking me up, ML!) Looking forward to Monday's hike. Unfortunately, Soup Kitchen volunteer shift will prevent Mary Lee from joining us. All the best from Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: The Sisterhood!

Hello Patrick and Mary Lee! What a bummer! I was there and didn't see you. I got there around 8:30 and left at 8:40. Where were you????? After writing Patrick I too checked the weather and saw that it was going to stop raining by late morning so at the last minute decided to go! I was hoping you both hadn't seen or heard my messages and would show up, which you did but somehow I didn't see you. I didn't get out of my car because of the rain but I kept looking around to see if I could see you or Jim (who didn't show up. He must have gone on the big snowshoe). 

We did get rained/snowed on a bit -my rain jacket got wet and luckily for us there were ski doo tracks to follow cause the snow was really heavy in the untracked areas. We snow shoed down to Isintok creek where we had a snack and a drink and then went back. We had lunch under the power lines where there was a bit of a view. There were 6 of us: Jos, Chuck, Al, Lilianne and her daughter Linda and me. Coffee and mocha at Good omens and then apples at the Apple Barn (much to the delight of Lilianne and Linda) and return voyage starting at 2 pm. I was thinking that was probably too late for Mary Lee anyway, what with her Thursday afternoon volunteerism at Haven Hill. Anyway sorry we didn't see each other. You must have been engrossed in each other's company!  Pam

Hello Avid Outdoors People! Did you go out to Agur Lake today? I was hoping it would dry up in time for me to go for a quick ride but as it turned out I ended doing a few chores that needed attending. Lady Dar left about half an hour ago to walk to dentist to have her teeth cleaned. We'll meet at the Landmark at just before 4:00 pm. I presume we may well see you there as well.

Thanks for the snapola, taken with your phone. Fabulous resolution!!! Looking forward to Monday's hike. Unfortunately, Soup Kitchen volunteer shift will prevent Mary Lee from joining us. All the best from Mme Coriandre, in absentia. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: The Sisterhood! Latest phase of construction.


Hi Raymond! One of the wettest two days here, since moving. Lady Dar is back at the dentist's for a teeth cleaning. We'll meet at the Landmark at just before 4:00 pm. We subscribe to a series put on by Kitchen Stove Film, run by the Art Gallery. Have an arrangement with TIFF to screen ten films. Really enjoyed Jimmy's Hall, the first:Jimmy's Hall is a 2014 Irish-French-British drama film directed by Ken Loach. The film tells the story of the deportation to the United States in 1933 of Jimmy Gralton, who led the Revolutionary Workers' Group, a precursor of the Irish Communist Party, in Leitrim. It stars Irish actor Barry Ward, along with Simone Kirby, Jim Norton and Denise Gough. The title refers to a rural dance hall built by Gralton to expound his political views.

It was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or in the main competition section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.


We are to see The Second Mother today:
The Second Mother (Portuguese: Que Horas Ela Volta?, lit. When is she coming back?) is a 2015 Brazilian drama film written and directed by Anna Muylaert. The film stars Regina Casé as Val, the housemaid of a wealthy family in São Paulo, and portrays the tensions that arise after her daughter Jéssica moves into the family's house in order to apply for an admission exam at the city's university.

It premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and was later released theatrically in Brazil on 27 August 2015. The film received critical praise in and outside Brazil and was selected as the Brazilian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 88th Academy Awards but it was not nominated.

Funnily enough, Lady Dar was watching an episode of Scott and Bailey shortly before she left for the dentist's office. I quite enjoy the series but I'd like to start from the beginning and just don't seem to have had the time with so much else on the go. My Brodie does have front shocks so I'm pleased about that. Hoping I might be able to squeeze in a few rides over the weekend and might take it in to Freedom for the new tires I mentioned. Trust your bread turned out to your satisfaction.  Cheers, Patrizzio!


If I seemed ruder than usual it was because I was hammered very sorry to hear about Chloe I know you where all looking forward to a child/grandchild sorry about the inappropriate terminology in my drunken state all I could come up with was give birth or calve not sure which was worse. Currently in the Hat, Alex and friends are golfing I decided to pass and rest answer emails etc. Should be home in good time tomorrow to see Maggie and Oscar, Katrina says Maggie has been mopey so she will be happy to see Jude tonight. Kimbo and Chris are back in the peg working,school and planning wedding Kimberlee is turning into Bridezilla which is kind of surprising she wants everything to be perfect I said good fucking luck with that anyway she is starting to get more reasonable so we shall see. Anyhow should go pickup the drunken ball chasers ttyl Dallas ps apologize for spelling Corrine wrong consistently.
 

Hi Dallas! Grand to hear from you. Terrific that Wild Bill is well. Please pass along fond regards when home. Wonderful that the entire brood could be together for such a wonderful holiday. Sorry to hear about the rain.

Unfortunately, Chloë won't be "calving" just yet. Thought she might be pregnant but turned out not to be so, this past long weekend, Family Day. Took it pretty well so will do a bit of regrouping over next few months and decide on next steps. Sorry to hear about your erectile dysfunction. Must be the Snoose! When are you going to give it up???????? All the best from Mme Coriandre, in absentia, to one and all. Travel safely back to The Arctic! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Jos just got home from a snow-shoe with Al et al (you should have received the email as well). They started in Summerland at 9:00AM. I had a meeting today and couldn't make it unfortunately :(. Rick et al should have been there though, not sure why not. Nice photos from Mary Lee & Lady Dar! Hugatoris, Aarturo 

Hi again Patrick; I talked to Jos about playing bridge. She said she didn't see the email you sent and Aart didn't talk to her about it. I mentioned Saturday night and that seemed good with her. I hope that works for you both too! She was going to talk to Aart and would get in touch with you afterwards.... Stay tuned! Pam

Dear Hugataurus, (A far more deadly dinosaur than Tyrannosaurus, latter indigenous to Burns Street, aka Lady Darjeelasaurus, scientific name!), and other prospective bridge players:

I gather, via Spumonasaurus, (to keep the thread intact), that this Saturday might be an apt time for a bridge game/gathering and observer status. If you are game for that, we, (Royal We, bye the bye!), suggest gathering at our place in late afternoon, (Alternate time to be decided, of course, whenever mutually convenient, but we are free all day/night, more or less), and then we could play and have nibblage/tipplage, followed by a pot-luck dinner, if that seems appropriate. Just an opening gambit as I don't know everyone's schedules, preferences, phobias, etc. At any rate, ponder, argue, negotiate or otherwise weigh the options and let us know what you think/would like and we'll plan accordingly.

Must away as Raptor Woman just left the Rumpus Room and dinner, (Slow cooker pork chops, in coconut milk, acorn squash and mixed green saladin, topped with Feta, my contribuzzzzzzionne), is to be served in a few minutes. Fondestos from Jurassic Park Zoo Keeper, Corasaurus, to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzodactyl, flying high on Jefferson's Reserve, Very Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Very Small Batch, 45.1%, very large pours! 'Ain't life grand!!!


Hello Pentictonites, What about starting around 4pm, since I like to be back in Summerland around 8 pm. The Summerlandian

Dear Bridge Aficionados! Given the early to bed request of the unidentified Summerlandian, I suggest we start anytime after 3:00 pm on Saturday, February 20th. Are people interested in a pot-luck dinner? If so, Lady Dar offers to provide a main course and we remain open to other proffered culinary delights. Please advise at one's convenience. Cheers, Bridge Director Patrizzio!

Sounds great Patrick, I can be there around 3 pm,and would love to contribute to the potluck. Please let me know what I can bring, desert, salad, applies, carbos? Off to Nickelplate today, Chiao, Jos Great! 3pm on Saturday works well for me. I would be happy to bring a spinach salad if we have a pot luck. Please provide your house number! Pam 

Hi Patrick, No, I won't be going to any Cuffed events. I am in Hawaii. I didn't want to try snorkeling again, so I opted for sea life viewing from the ocean floor. I found the sub more interesting than the fish. Cheers, Bev 

Hi Patrick  Just realized after receiving today's' email, that I hadn't replied about dinner. Had to find out from Ted what dates you would be in Van. We can host dinner either Saturday, March 12th or Sunday, March 13th. Look forward to seeing you. Let me know numbers for dinner and sorry for not responding earlier. Cheers Elaine

Hello Bayswater Bridge Folk! I wasn't overly worried about not hearing from you, Elaine, as I thought that you might have been on another extended world junket! Trekking in Antarctica. Backpacking in the Urals. Deep-sea diving in the Marianas Trench! At any rate, thank you for being "strong-armed" into hosting the bridge night. I think that Saturday, March 12th, would be best, given that the Sevens' Finals will be on the following day, on Sunday and would make the evening too, too late for everyone. As soon as I've talked to the Carters, I'll confirm, both date and number of Freeloaders. (We'll all contribute to dinner so let us know, when you've had a moment to cogitate, (after I confirm numbers, etc.), what you might like everyone to bring. Non-negotiable!!!) I assume, (Not having heard a peep from Theodorakis!), that he plans to join rugby gang so I trust he will agree with my suggestion of the date.

Now, to more important matters!
Both of us were very, very moved by Que Horas Ela Volta? Quiet though it was, it showcased the power of unconditional love, not forgetting to skewer many of our all too, too human foibles. All the best from Mme Coriandre, in absentia, confabbing with Ms Tinsel Town, funnily enough, Nana, acting out, in real life, some of the leitmotifs present in the film we just enjoyed! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks for the newsy email. I will reply in more detail when I have the energy but in the meantime thought I'd send some pics taken at mike's nieces 30th birthday party xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment